Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep the keys in your pocket, call a cab and no DUI!
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Depends on the state.  Cold car, Keys in the glove box and sleeping in the back seat you are probably safe in every state. Keys in the ignition, engine running, sitting in the drivers seat slumped over the steering wheel you are probably going to jail in every state. The devil is in the details.

The last time I did this I started the truck from the back seat (for heat, it was below freezing outside), turned the radio to a nice station, made sure I had a full tank of gas, and slept for several hours in the back seat of my truck (Avalanche) with the engine running.

Without putting the truck in gear, sitting in the driver's seat, or even thinking about putting the truck in motion I'm sure some officers would have tried to hook me up for DUI if they had the chance.

Luckily, I just got a nice nap for several hours.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck DUI laws and Fuck MADD.

A bunch of god damned neo-prohibitionists.

As someone whose father killed two parents and left five kids orphans... seriously, shut the fuck up.  DUI is not something to be dismissed as inconsequential.

He's right madd sucks.  Dui isn't a little thing but madd pushes to turn anything into dui and act as more probhibitionists than anything.  

Madd is the alcohol equivelant of brady.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought it was just the keys couldnt be in the ignition?

What state are you from?

Texas.

Willie Nelson could answer this question for you.

Oh wait, wrong drug

seems like they like to pick on me and paul
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As someone whose father killed two parents and left five kids orphans... seriously, shut the fuck up.  DUI is not something to be dismissed as inconsequential.

As someone who extricated the body of a woman (she died in the vehicle as we were extricating here) out of a vehicle the day after Christmas (She was going to go get batteries for he kids toys) who was hit by a drunk driver and left 4 kids motherless, I say fuck DUI laws and MADD.

MADD is a neo-prohibitionist orginization, so much so that the founders of it have long since parted company with it because of the direction it is heading.

I am all for real drunks being taken off the road. But it is quickly evolving into a heavily relied on revenue stream for law enforcement. Blind, zero tolerance isn't helping either. That is why you hear stories like this one, DUI on your own property, DUI for sleeping in the back seat, DUI for riding a bicycle, DUI for going out to your car to get something, DUI for having a set of car keys in your pocket in a bar parking lot.

Just another demon being capitalized on in the name of safety, to create revenue and more criminals.

Disclosure: I don't drink. Have friends who have had their lives and careers ruined by DUIs and friends who have been died as a result of alcohol related accidents (both as drivers and innocent victims).

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who extricated the body of a woman (she died in the vehicle as we were extricating here) out of a vehicle the day after Christmas (She was going to go get batteries for he kids toys) who was hit by a drunk driver and left 4 kids motherless, I say fuck DUI laws and MADD.

DUI Laws are out of hand.

Under the influence and kill someone, Murder 1.

Under the influence and injure someone, highest level of manslaughter on the books.

This whole BAC, check points, forced blood draws, forced AA is bullshit. The ever lowering BAC levels, the assumption that a LEO with a 40 hour course on DUI can asses cognitive abilities. It's all bullshit.

Did you know the woman that founded MADD left the organization because they raised the drinking age to 21?

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Step 1: Buy van
Step 2: Put couch / bed in the back of said van.
Step 3: Drive van to bar
Step 4: Drink
Step 5: Go to sleep in van, get a suprisingly decent nap

I drove an old aerostar van with a twin bed mattress in the back during college.

Amazingly, I got very few dates.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]
My buddy told me to get AAA with the free towing.  If you get too drunk, call AAA and tell them your car wont start, and you want it towed to your house.

No idea if this would really work
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 49. INTOXICATION AND ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE OFFENSES

Sec. 49.02.  PUBLIC INTOXICATION.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

and

Sec. 49.04.  DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person is intoxicated while operating a motor vehicle in a public place.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Keep the keys in your pocket, call a cab and no DUI!

Call a cab to where? Back to the farm?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been in situations where the cab I called never came, if I was close enough (less than 5 miles) I walked, if not I back seated it until sober.  Never had a cop come knocking though.
A friend got a DUI for sleeping in the backseat in the bar parking lot, keys under the car, lost his license for 6 months.  No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.  (Urban/Suburban)
Another friend stopped en route after deciding he was a danger and pulled to the shoulder to sleep it off.  A cop knocked and ended up driving my buddy's car down the road to a location where it was safer to sleep it off, and humped it back to his patrol car.  Some folks are just lucky I guess.  (Suburban/Rural)

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that he is dismissing DRIVING while INTOXICATED.

I believe what he is saying is that MADD and DUI laws are overly harsh and cast a net that is much wider than it needs to be.  We have taken the route that if you have had a beer and are near a car that you are assumed guilty of possibly thinking that you might drive home if you sneezed in the right direction.

I believe driving while intoxicated (the actual act) should lead to a DUI conviction.  However, being responsible and NOT operating a vehicle no matter if you are in the car or not, keys or not should not be an offense.  
Furthermore the levels of "intoxication" don't allow you to smell a beer before you are "intoxicated."  

I am sure that if MADD et. al. had it their way, being in a car at all (even a cab) and having had a smell of a drink would be a DUI.  Walking past a car that wasn't yours nor do you have the keys for, and is locked would lead to a DUI.  The problem for them is that now that they have these laws passed, they have achieved their goal to stiffen the penalty.  What do they do now?  What purpose do they serve?  They can only press for stiffer penalties, lower limits, etc if they want to stay relevant.  Otherwise they will fade away and die.

Sorry, but responsible laws are needed.  If you want to try to ban drinking, just ban it already....oh wait...we tried that.  

This. Back in the 80's when they got their start and many states still treated DUI as an "oops", and DUI homicides as an "oops" as well, MADD had a point and a reason to exist. Today, MADD is a business, and they need to keep lobbying state govts. to pass stricter and stricter DUI/OWI laws and lower BAC thresholds more and more to keep getting donations and funding, and maintain relevance and give themselves a continued reason to exist.

Now that they've gotten the laws tightened on egregious repeat DUI offenders, they're going after the run of the mill social drinker who does not get plastered. Which IMO is EVERYONE who ever has a drink anywhere other than at home.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I recall one night in Seattle, circa 1988.  I had been at a U-Roy (Reggae) concert, and was, well, not confident I could drive mah truck so well.  It had a bitchin' camper shell, so I retired to the back, parked along the screet in downtown Seattle.  I was rousted a few hours later by tje PD, who opened mah back hatch and demanded an explanation for my presence.  Whatever I said must have amused them, cuz I recall them laughing at me and departing.  But NOT before they commented that I made a good choice not crashing in the driver's seat.  Good times!
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends on the state, the arresting officer and the prosecuting attorney.

Safest bet?  Don't sleep in your car if you've been drinking.  Take a problem and turn it into a non-issue.

Zero cash, the bar is closing, and you don't really feel like sleeping in an alley.

Zero deductible on insurance. Call a tow truck.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
To clarify, I didn't have a place to go and had almost no money, so a cab was out of the option.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought it was just the keys couldnt be in the ignition?

What state are you from?

Texas.

Where at? A lot of the time you'll still get hooked for public intoxication. I wouldn't arrest someone for DWI for sleeping it off in their car. PI, maybe depending on the situation.

Yes , cause all laws should be shitty , as long as MOST cops selectivly enforce them all is well in the world.....

I am FUCKING AMAZED at the number of times I see this arguement here......

Texas Penal Code 49.04 Driving While Intoxicated says: A person commits an offense if the person is intoxicated while operating a motor vehicle in a public place.

Sleeping with the keys out of the ignition is not operating. Sleeping with the keys in the ignition is not operating. If I don't see them driving the car around they are not operating the vehicle. How they got there before I saw them is not my problem. Some agencies don't see it like that and it's unfortunate. The person conciously made an effort to avoid a DWI and not drive home. I'm not going to wreck someone life for that.

TXPC 49.02 Public Intoxication: a person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

I administer the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test on anyone I feel may be intoxicated or getting close to it. If I don't see 4 out of 6 clues, make sure your doors are locked and sleep as much as you can. If I see 4 or more, you need to find a ride home, whether it's a cab or a friend. I don't know if that person is going to drive off as soon as I leave or if they're going to be victimized because they're too drunk take care of themselves.

Everybody gets a fair shake, especially with me. I'm not going to ruin my reputation with the courts and within my agency for bullshit arrests when alternate and effective alternatives are available. Like I said before, some departments don't see it that way and are looking for stats.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A friend of mine got a DUI for doing the same thing.  Didn't even have the keys on him (or in the fenderwell).  They were in the house.

I wonder how many people have just said "fuck it, I'm driving home and sleeping in my own bed, cuz they'll nail me anyway for sleeping in the car".  I know of two personally.  

The word for today, boys and girls, is "overzealous".
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My buddy told me to get AAA with the free towing.  If you get too drunk, call AAA and tell them your car wont start, and you want it towed to your house.

No idea if this would really work

AAA is a great thing. I'm sure they do it elsewhere , but around here anyway , on holiday weekends like NewYear's or St. Patrick's , they offer FREE towing for people who shouldn't be driving , regardless if the person is a AAA member or not. They call it "Tow to Go" , and I believe it is sponsored , at least in part , by Budweiser.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
there's a guy in prison right now for sleeping off a drunk in a car.

that didn't run.

that couldn't run.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Go buy an older used motorhome. Take it to the bar, get drunk, get in the RV, turn on the generator, crank up the heat or A/C, and go to bed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Dude. You have a dancing pedo bear as your avatar and are advocating white vans with beds in the back.

I hope you live a fucking squeaky clean life, because some alphabet agency is definitely looking close at you.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:

In the driver's seat in NY and you are toast whether the vehicle is in operation or not... sleep in the passenger seat or back seat.
Usually there needs to be some evidence of attempting to make the car move. Not sure sleeping in the back would get you there absent something more ie confession that you tried to start it
The term "operate" as used in Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1192 is broader that the term "drive" (see, Matter of Prudhomme v Hultz, 27 AD2d 234, 236). The term "operate" extends to include  [**776] situations where a person begins to use "the mechanism of theautomobile for the purpose of putting the automobile in motion eventhough he does not move it" (People v Marriott, 37 AD2d 868).

Course getting arrested for dwi even if it's bs means no driver's license for a year until the case comes to trial even if you win

Guilty until proven innocent?!?!?  That sucks, anyone I knew down here in Jersey that got popped drove until convicted.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Should be zero tolerance for everyone. Same old BS in this thread though...I personally don't give a fuck about what the BAC limit should be..should be 0. I wish there was a way to identify a drunk a driver on sight..i'd fuckin' PITT them off the road and blame it on them.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I drove an old aerostar van with a twin bed mattress in the back during college.

Amazingly, I got very few dates.

I miss my 92 aerostar. That thing was HUGE.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Should be zero tolerance for everyone. Same old BS in this thread though...I personally don't give a fuck about what the BAC limit should be..should be 0. I wish there was a way to identify a drunk a driver on sight..i'd fuckin' PITT them off the road and blame it on them.  

Going to save people's lives by committing wanton murder, eh?  

Jolly good then, old son.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Who needs brains or logic when we can use zero tolerance!?!
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
safest bet would be to swallow the keys, torch the car, and sleep in the ditch.

= hemhorroids, insurance fraud, and poison ivy.    FAIL
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When thinking is just too hard, there is always "zero tolerance".

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#35]
So, in some states you can:

Get a DUI on a non motor vehicle (bicycle)?
Get a DUI for not actually operationg vehicle but just being on/in it?
Get a DUI on your own property?

How long until someone gets a DUI for getting drunk and falling asleep on a scateboard in their driveway?
Fuck MAD.

I refuse to drive if I've had more than 1 drink with a meal.  I always make sure I have a plan to get home....
But this shit still pisses me off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I always plan ahead usually this means making good use of the train/bus system.  Alternatively I find a friend who has no real plans to be intoxicated and ride with them.
If push ever seriously came to shove I'd call one of my sleeping sober friends in the middle of the night and beg them for a ride home. I'd feel super guilty about my irresponsibility causing an imposition but I have friends that would make sure I got some place safe if it came down to calling them even if it was a massive pain in the ass.

If I don't feel like I can arrange safe transportation then I just don't go out.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Didn't the president of MADD have to resign recently over a DUI?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This...
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Where I grew up, mere possession of the keys while inside the vehicle got a DUI.

Also, I knew one kid arrested for DUI in my town who wasn't even in his car at the time.  He was playing his truck stereo at a party while drinking and the cops busted him since he was technically operating the vehicle, even though he was just playing the radio and standing far away.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Didn't work out so well for this guy - omg!

http://thenewspaper.com/news/30/3030.asp

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'tolerance' is a nice word for 'discrimination'.

The law is not supposed to 'think' - it is supposed to be absolutely equal, absolutely fair, and absolutely unfeeling...

Which DUI is.

'Zero Tolerance' is the right standard for legal matters.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#42]
You won't get a DWI even if the keys are there with you.  But you're still PI bait.  Just make sure to park in a public parking lot so they don't tow and "inventory" your car after your arrest for PI.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#43]
In Minnesota they use the term "physical contol of the vehicle", meaning they have to deal with you before they can deal with the car. There are numerous stories up here every year of people getting DWI/DWI's while sleeping in their car. About a year after I graduated high school(1988) a friend of mine was sitting on the hood of his car in a parking lot with the engine off and keys in his pocket, he got a ride back from a party with me and we were waiting for his girlfriend to pick him up. Right before his girlfriend came to pick him up a cop pulled up and started questioning us, the cop gave him the field tests and arrested him as his girlfriend was pulling up.

They had to tell him to get off the hood of his car to give him the field tests, therfore he was in control of the vehicle. They even towed his car from a private parking lot which was owned by one of our friend's father. The cop that arrested him was two years older than us and was a prick in high school and was even a bigger prick when he got a badge.

They can get you for whatever they want if they feel like it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Hah!  I used to do that.  I always kept a sleeping bag in my '76 GMC van.  I had that baby all upholstered up in shag carpet!

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#45]
IN Europe they have these Scooter taxis...the guy has a mini scooter and he takes you home by driving your car...

he goes home using his little portable scooter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

They can get you for whatever they want if they feel like it.

Yep, and a judge will say Good Job, all the way to the highest level:

‘Minority Report’ Becomes a Minnesota Reality

The movie Minority Report was about a future society where people are arrested before they actually even commit a crime, i.e, they are arrested just for thinking about it. It seems that science fiction has become science fact in Minnesota.

MINNESOTA SUPREME COURT RULES DUI POSSIBLE IN INOPERABLE VEHICLE

The Supreme Court of Minnesota on Thursday upheld the drunk driving conviction of a man caught asleep behind the wheel of a vehicle that would not start. At 11:30pm on June 11, 2007, police found Daryl Fleck sleeping in his own legally parked car in his apartment complex parking lot. The vehicle’s engine was cold to the touch, indicating it had not been driven recently. The keys were in the center console, not the ignition. Fleck admitted to having consumed around a dozen beers that night. Officers at the scene arrested him, and his blood alcohol level was found to be .18.

Laws covering driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) have evolved over the years to cover the situations where police find a parked, but recently driven, vehicle with a drunk behind the wheel. In the 1992 case Minnesota v. Starfield, the court found a drunk passenger sitting in a vehicle stuck in a ditch guilty of DUI, but not because it could prove she really was the one who drove and caused the accident. Instead, the court ruled that “towing assistance [was] likely available” creating the theoretical possibility that the immobile vehicle could “easily” be made mobile. These defendants have been charged under an expanded definition that suggests having “dominion and control” with the mere potential to drive is a crime. Intending to sleep off a night of drinking treated as the same crime as attempting to drive home under this legal theory which does not take motive into account. [Think about this: You're drunk. You get into your car in order to sleep off your condition so that you can be sober enough to drive later on—yet that's still considered drunk driving!!!]

As Fleck was an unsympathetic figure with multiple DUI convictions in his past, prosecutors had no problem convincing a jury to convict. The court took up Fleck’s case to expand the precedent to cover the case of mere presence in an undriven—and perhaps undrivable—car into the definition of drunk driving. The court relied on Fleck’s drunken claim that his car was operable to set aside the physical evidence to the contrary. [This has to be the first time in modern jurisprudence where eyewitness testimony holds more weight than the actual physical evidence!! Talk about setting a landmark precedent.]

[Thanks to Mark Fee]

From the LRC Blog.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#47]
At the risk of sounding all no-shit sherlock; if cabbing it home isn't practicable, consider cabbing it to a hotel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All you people saying take a cab. Not everyone lives in a place that has cabs nor would I really want to.

Well then , you should just never drink.....

Bars should be outlawed anywhere without cab service...

Live free or... oh wait...
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#49]
DUI here (and most places) consists of two parts and is an arrestable offense on private and public property:
1) A person shall not drive or be in actual physical control of any vehicle within this State
2) While under the influence of... *insert alcohol/drugs/combos etc...*

I have seen officers arrest guys "sleeping it off" in a parking lot. Usually these people have keys in the ignition, or on their lap, or somewhere showing they are intending to drive. Many of these times, it was some feller who fell asleep with his foot on the brake, car in drive, slumped over the wheel, still stopped in the parking space.

I am both a hard ass... and a realist for DUIs. I hate doing them because they take forever and sap resources. However, I dont mind doing them for people for a variety of reasons, including bot not limited to... totally obliterated, repeat offenders, or crashers... My discretion plays a giant role in DUI arrests these days because it is not part of my assignment.

The best advice has already been given. Plan the fuck ahead. Call a cab, friend, relative, tow truck.. whatever, and plan to get home an alternative way. Do -not- plan to sleep in your car. Do NOT drink and drive. Dont think you "know" how special you are and how special you can drive when you have had a few drinks and that DUI laws are bullshit and that you can do whatever the fuck you want. Perfect, awesome, you're right... and I can arrest you for DUI when you meet the aforementioned 2 criteria.... Just so everyone is aware... .08 is the "legal limit" but you can still be arrested, and charged, and convicted of DUI for ANY amount of substance, compound or drug or alcohol that impairs your ability to operate a motor vehicle or while in physical control of said vehicle. Again this rolls back to discretion... if you drive poorly, aggressively, stupidly, or commit a number of traffic errors and catch police attention... and are under ANY influence (this means 1 sip or a joint from 20+ days ago or that pill your Dr ordered you to take that may make you woozy...)... you can be arrested for DUI. Chemical tests are mandatory in many states under implied consent laws and an officer can order tests of blood, urine and breath. Failing to complete ordered tests usually results in stiffer penalties.

While I am not saying I agree, or disagree with the aforementioned laws in reference to liberty, I am saying they are on the books, and I have seen guys (and gals) catch DUIs ranging from a wide variety of intoxication substances and levels. Ive seen a guy get a DUI for a lawnmower once.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
This is not advice: this is clever things I have seen people do... to avoid a DUI... that made me exercise MY discretion and not bother them beyond checking on their vitals.

1.  I have seen a guy put the "club" on his steering wheel... put his keys in a container... and then close the container in the trunk (behind 60/40 split seats) and latch both parts closed. It would literally take 3 steps (concentrated effort) to get to the keys and drive off. I dont think Holmes could have made a case of DUI on that.
2.  I have seen a guy put keys in the glovebox, intentionally lock themselves out of their truck... and pad up a bed for the night inside the truck-bed of their covered pickup. Then call for a courtesy unlock from police the next morning...

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#50]
SImple! DOn't drink and drive.

If you want to get hammered, then call a cab to take you home.
Seriously, is that so complicated to understand?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top