Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
this is my rifle,this is my gun, one is for shootin one is for fun,(?)
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
[How old were you, when you shot your first gun?

This is the best question yet!
Only here in the good old USA could you ponder, let alone answer this question.
I've got my first child on the way in about
7 weeks.
Proud to be an American! Thanks to all that
made this possible. God Bless us all!

8 years old. One of my sisters boyfriends.
.22 caliber rifle and of course for his
amusement, a shotgun.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I was six when I fired my first .22 rifle.I grew up with shotguns and rifles in the house and could look at them any time as long as I asked.It took away the "forbidden" thrill most kids get if not allowed to experience handling,learning to make safe,and how to handle (safety on,muzzle down etc.)

When I was nine I got to fire my first colt .45 auto.I've loved them ever since.Kimber classic is what I own and carry now.

My son Zach,with my help,fired my kimber when he was almost four.I raised him the same way my dad did me and he is a responsible kid at eight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad started me shooting at the age of 5.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Guns ? never touch'em (they make to much noise)...
I don't really remember it's been so long.

Fantom
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say I was around 5 when I got my first BB gun.  Probably 8 when I got my first .22 rifle.  And 10 when I got a 410 shotgun.  For some reason, they just keep getting bigger and better.......  
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

[How old were you, when you shot your first gun?

This is the best question yet!
Only here in the good old USA could you ponder, let alone answer this question.
I've got my first child on the way in about
7 weeks.
Proud to be an American! Thanks to all that
made this possible. God Bless us all!
View Quote

AMEN!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I was five I believe. Heck, I grew up around guns. I couldn't wait to shoot my first one.
On my b-day when I turned seven, I got a shiney new Marlin .22. [8d]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By TylerDurden

Who in the hell let you shoot like that?

View Quote

Hmmmm......my step dad, he thought it was funny……. That bastard.. [pissed]
View Quote

Sorry to hear that, Lady Glock. What a POS! Glad that you were not seriously hurt.

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
6, under the strong and watchful supervision of a former USMC BAR man (my Dad).
Rules were laid down, responsibilities and actions were clearly defined and followed to the T.
This was the same age I started my daughter, who had by virute of my career been around arms and armed men and women since her birth.
When she was very young she one time asked why a certain family friend didn't carry a gun, because so many adults she had been introduced to did and she had seen them while they were in uniform.
She's now a teen and has no interest in guns or shooting with Dad any longer [:(]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I was 5 and it was with a 30.06.
My Dad would let me cradle it on his hands, then when I shot it, he would grab the stock to keep me from falling flat on my back. I thought it was a fun ride and wanted to do it often. I was a bit disappointed when he finally let me shoot his .22 at the age of 14. Every gun I shot was large caliber until I reached that age. 14 yrs old was the first time I ever shot a .22, and my Dad had it since before I was born. My Dad is a firm believer in making you learn the hard but right way.
My first gun was a bolt action, clip fed, adjustable choke, Mossberg 20 ga shotgun at the age of 14.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I grew up in rural Alabama and can't remember when I didn't shoot a gun.
However, I will forever remember the day I got my first very own gun - a single shot .410 from Western Auto.  Gun lasted through me and my four brothers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I was around 5 or 6... me and Dad in south Florida shooting at cans and bottles.  I vaguely remember some guys in a pickup coming in swat-like uniforms and shooting machineguns... they let my dad try, but they said I was too small. Dammit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't remember how old I was, but I have a 3 minute movie transferred to video showing my Dad letting me shoot his six shooter out in the desert. I think my Stepmom was taking the movie, it's black & white with no sound - the latest technology at the time.
I'M REALLY NOT THAT OLD!

Seriously, try this. Find any information you can on the SPORT of shooting. Specifically, the recent Biathalon contestants in the Olympics. Check around your local area for school teams or with the local Jaycees (they hold annual national shoots, I believe). Basically "arm" yourself with information on shooting that doesn't include "Lethal Weapon", Mel Gibson stuff. The NRA has the Eddie Eagle program (which doesn't even allow real guns to be shown), and they put out a Jr. Shooting Magazine. The idea is, your nephew is likely to hear about and possibly become exposed to firearms sometime in his childhood. His parents should be interested in his learning what firearms are all about and the safe way to handle or not handle them. Explain that a young boy's curiosity will often override any fear of parental discipline when noone is around to tell and/or peer pressure is at work.
When I was a preteen, I was at my Sister's home. The babysitter was in the livingroom with my two young nieces. I went poking around in my Sister & Brother-in-laws room and found a Colt Python .357 revolver...loaded! I pulled back the hammer just like they do on t.v. and then I got REALLY scared! Somehow I managed to safely lower the hammer back in place and put the pistol away. This kind of story isn't unique, but it can have deadly consequences. Haven't you heard of kid's shooting one another accidently with a found loaded gun? Ask the boy's mother if she knows, without a doubt, which houses have firearms and which don't. Children need to be familiar with firearms. Not only how to operate one, but they also need to see/feel how destructive these can be. This will impart a much better message than telling them to "not touch or go near any firearm". Talk is cheap.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top