Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They seem like a welcoming bunch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ND is full. The cold weather does a great job of keeping the population in check.

.        Lol. What I meant was, part of the allure of living here is the lack of people. You start telling people how great the hunting and fishing is here things are going to change for the worse.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure beats a year in Thule.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Neighborhood kid just got out of his Air Force training and is headed there this sat. A few months ago I was interviewd by some government agency woman who was putting together a report for his security clearance. He has something to do with operations security. His dad says he will be briefing pilots on their missions.
Florida kid on his way to an ass freezing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not too bad. Decent gun shops, mall, good hunting/fishing. I'm originally from the boom area but moved here to be with my wife. Stay away from my there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
No f'ing way.  That place makes MT look like the Bahamas.  Someone cue up the "Nope, Nope, Nope" pic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Freezin's the reason

AF guys view Minot as Hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not Minot?

Freezin's the reason

AF guys view Minot as Hell.

My NCOIC's favorite threats were "we'll send you to Minot" and "we'll make you an SP".
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I grew up in ND, then moved to Shitcago area for 20 some years, and now just recently I am in TX.  I've had enough winter and that was in Fargo which at least has some things to do unlike Minot.  

Until you get used to it, winter will rape you right down to your balls and anus.  Oh, and I didn't mention that you never get used to it.  It just kills you a a little less everyday after a while.

No, I lie, it fucking sucks and kills you every day.  On the bright side, 20 degrees positive is shorts weather after your bake in period.

View Quote

That's not really true. When the cold first arrives every winter, I fucking hate it, and ask myself why I still live here. Every year. But then after a few weeks, your body gets acclimated to it, and you learn to embrace it. Ice fishing (drinking) is fun, hunting in snow is fun, the winter landscape is beautiful, snowmobiling is fucking awesome. Honestly, I could not live here without the snowmobiling; it's what keeps me sane during the very, very, long periods between summers. And the best part about cold winters? No fucking bugs.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I hear they get snow, wind and below freezing temps every now and then
View Quote
In the same week!?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#10]
We own some property up there. I love the area because Ive only ever stayed for hunting and fishing trips with the family. I can see running out of entertainment rather quickly. You can only chase so so college tang and drink so much
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a cucv blazer that came out of there, once upon a time.

It had an electric engine block heater installed on it.   That, to me, is a bad sign.
View Quote

That made me laugh out loud...yeah, I'm not looking to ever move anywhere colder than where I am now. ;)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#12]
it's north dakota dude... just saying...

eta: jesus fucking christ!!! i saw the temperatures in that pic on page one and every joint in my body just instantly started hurting...

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Well shit. I'm guess I'll see first hand at the next interview.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#14]
We drove from Oregon to Minnesota in June.  All I remember about ND is terrible drinking water, flat, lots of construction, and a really big cow.  Economically it looked like it's doing great.  I can only imagine how terrible it is in the winter time.  If it drops into the 30s here it is considered absolutely freezing.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:07:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Some people like frozen wastelands, some don't.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:27:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I was born in ND and respect the state.

However, went to Williston for a wedding four years back, it sucked ass. Couldn't find a decent place to grab a microbrew and dinner. Couldn't have kids within a bar area IIRC, so we left one place. I'm not talking a scuzzy smoked out place, just a regular bar and grill.

Was glad to be back in Montana.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I know the railroad has a permenant job listing there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Where do you live now?

I live south of Minot. Talking to people who live there, they seem to like to get out of town to relax rather than stay in town. The winters are cold, cost of living is creeping up, and the boom makes you wait longer in line for stuff. I think North Dakota has a lot going for it, if you are going to work in the oil field, and can find a place to live in Minot, I would take that over Williston or Dickinson. Some winters make me wonder how this state was ever settled at all. But then again, all of Canada is North of here and they seem to survive just fine. It's all relative. If you want to make money, pull the trigger and go.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You are lucky if the wind chills are 0.  Try day after day of 30 below ACTUAL, before you even add on wind chill.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been there but I have no desire being way below 0 degree wind chills. I have seen pictures from friends in williston. No desire to be outside of something climate controlled there.
You are lucky if the wind chills are 0.  Try day after day of 30 below ACTUAL, before you even add on wind chill.  

My last winter in the Dak, we went 58 days in a row without the high for the day getting UP TO zero.  

My impression from two trips to Minot:  like Grand Forks with fewer restaurants and better weather.  

People are friendly, and while cost of living is higher than it used to be, it's still pretty low.  Get used to wide-open spaces.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I grew up in ND, then moved to Shitcago area for 20 some years, and now just recently I am in TX.  I've had enough winter and that was in Fargo which at least has some things to do unlike Minot.  

View Quote

Until you get used to it, winter will rape you right down to your balls and anus.  Oh, and I didn't mention that you never get used to it.  It just kills you a a little less everyday after a while.

No, I lie, it fucking sucks and kills you every day.  On the bright side, 20 degrees positive is shorts weather after your bake in period.

Yes.  And yes....

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

.        Lol. What I meant was, part of the allure of living here is the lack of people. You start telling people how great the hunting and fishing is here things are going to change for the worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ND is full. The cold weather does a great job of keeping the population in check.

There's this thing called vacations.  You can do them in the summer, see?  Oh, never mind...

Maybe ice fishing is somehow 'fun.'

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I lived there when I was young. This picture sums up my memories of that time:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/KingRat_photos/NorthDakota_zps8fa03540.jpg      
View Quote

That pic absolutely fucking nails it! The only reason to be up here is all the wonderful toys you can buy. If you want to start a life here you better like cold wind.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's the AF equivalent of PTSD.

I have heard that they sometimes don't have Hot Cocoa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to work with a guy who told me he used to wake up in the middle of the night, when he was in the Air Force, having nightmares about being transferred there.

That's the AF equivalent of PTSD.

I have heard that they sometimes don't have Hot Cocoa.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#24]
i heard there is a hot chick behind every tree
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought the flood of 2011 wiped that city out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I know a big tittied crazy horse lady there. Thats about it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They have expanded it to 3 gates......flights in and out of there are insanely expensive.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate just flying there to drop people off lol

Does the airport suck too?

They have expanded it to 3 gates......flights in and out of there are insanely expensive.....

Shitloads cheaper than Williston.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#28]
How did Gov Shafer put it? "North Dakota is a place where you can still get lost... Mentally too.". Or something to that effect.

This is God's country. There's a reason why Teddy Roosevelt spent about as much time here as Oh bummer does on the putting green.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#29]
An Air Force guy I talked to at work told me he thought Minot was worse than Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#30]

When it hits 35 degrees, people put on shorts and wash their cars.  Seriously.  I didn't have air conditioning when I was there, and there was only about a week each summer where I kind of wished I had it.

Housing is very expensive and hard to find.  The base added another squadron, the oilfield boomed, and a quarter of the town got washed away in a flood, all within the last few years.

That said, I didn't mind it that much because there's a lot of good people in the town, a decent range, and a gun store that will treat you very well, especially if you establish yourself as a serious buyer.  Plenty of AF people retire up there, so there has to be some redeeming value.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I spent a year to the east in Grand Forks before separating from the Air Force. I got used to the cold well enough but heaven help you if you don't have a way to keep your diesel truck warm at night. I had to bum rides of charity for weeks at a time during the winter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate just flying there to drop people off lol

Does the airport suck too?

Actually that's the job. It would be working for the airport. They are building a new terminal and generally expanding the airport. Aviation management is my field.

So I won't be making oilfield money, but looking over the census data, I would still be making more than average.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#33]
The Ranger Bar is pretty good. That s all I got from my time there with Halliburton.  

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#34]
My great uncle was at Da Nang during the Tet Offensive.

His next assignment was at Minot.

He spent part of one winter there and asked to go back to Vietnam.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where do you live now?

I live south of Minot. Talking to people who live there, they seem to like to get out of town to relax rather than stay in town. The winters are cold, cost of living is creeping up, and the boom makes you wait longer in line for stuff. I think North Dakota has a lot going for it, if you are going to work in the oil field, and can find a place to live in Minot, I would take that over Williston or Dickinson. Some winters make me wonder how this state was ever settled at all. But then again, all of Canada is North of here and they seem to survive just fine. It's all relative. If you want to make money, pull the trigger and go.

View Quote

I live in Utah. Right now I live for winter because of the activities here. Spend a lot of time in the mountains playing in the snow. So while it will definitely be colder there, I'm sure I can adjust too it. My big issue will be figuring out hobbies. I would love snowmobiling but probably won't have the means. I'd love to try out hunting but that has always seemed hard to get into if you don't have someone to teach you.

The idea for this job is to be there a relatively short time to gain field experience than go where I want to go.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I love ND and would move to the Fargo area in a heartbeat if I could.
The seasons are all there and the winters are brutally cold.(they sell real nice gear now)
Great hunting, fishing and shooting 365.Snowmobiling , quad heaven
Not as many ridiculous gun laws, supressors are legal.
Cost of living somewhat lower and cheaper taxes.
Traffic? not here.
Kiss gridlock goodbye and welcome to the wide fricking open.
Speed limit? yeah right. 75 MPH, all day long.
Yup, put me there, I love it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Which is why people are leaving the midwest in droves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived there when I was young. This picture sums up my memories of that time:
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/KingRat_photos/NorthDakota_zps8fa03540.jpg      

Meh. Could be anywhere in the midwest in January.

Which is why people are leaving the midwest in droves.

Which is fine, all the pussies who can't handle a little weather are more than welcome to relocate to a blue state. I hear Texas has plenty of room.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Kid I worked with was stationed there with the USAF when he was in his early 20's and single (probably 2005-2006ish). He couldn't complain about it enough.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i heard there is a hot chick behind every tree
View Quote

Ha, I hadn't heard that one before, it took me a second to realize the joke.  I'm smart. . .

My in laws live in ND, we only visit during the summer when the kids are out of school; we're well aware of the winter weather.  If you'd like to freeze to death it has its own charm.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Was there from 07-10, I made the best of it. If you sit around and let yourself be miserable then you're gonna have a bad time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It will slowly suck the life from you.....I lived there for a year and a half......

due to the last flood, and influx of oilfield workers (who are mostly not "assets" to the community), there is no such thing as affordable housing......."fine dining" is Buffalo Wild Wings,  and since I've never enjoyed either hunting or fishing, about all there was to do was either stagger around the mall, or drink-to-passout.....

and then there's this.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/734838_10152436770600246_1493289365_n.jpg
View Quote

I live over by that -44, Minot is a tropical paradise.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How did Gov Shafer put it? "North Dakota is a place where you can still get lost... Mentally too.". Or something to that effect.

This is God's country. There's a reason why Teddy Roosevelt spent about as much time here as Oh bummer does on the putting green.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The Ranger Bar is pretty good. That s all I got from my time there with Halliburton.  

Aviator
View Quote

Ahhh....the Ranger lounge....on the (W) side of 83.......nice dive bar.........now that there is no smoking in any bar, resturant, public building, or hotel in ND you should see the place in Feb......they have a hut built outside for the smokers....good friend got her first DUI going back to the hotel from that place.....nothing like having to go out to your car from your hotel room to smoke a cig at 8 am  when the wind chill is -60.....

I liked Ebeneezers....was a cool place for good bar food and music........... and to get numb enough to make it till the next day......

The people that run the gun shops in that town are on drugs....they are cashing in on oilfield worker money......last pawn shop I visited there had a sporterized (badly) SMLE for 800.00........

Wanna make a fortune?........Open a shop to buy back all the guns, rims, and dually's that the oilfield workers up there bought when they were drunk.....and now have no jobs due to automation.....

I would have rather been sent to Afghanistan

ETA: "Gun City" in Bismark was a pretty cool store......
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I have heard there is a hot woman behind every tree.

Problem is there are only six trees in all of North Dakota.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I was under the impression that the boom was making housing expensive and scarce as all get-out in Minot lately.

Also; tundra wookies. You've been warned.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Been here since 03 as an USAF transplant, got out in 2012 and headed to the oil field. The town itself has alot more going on these days with all the new people and establishments coming in all the time. Crime has gone up but still less than that of larger metro places. Winter is brutal, saw -36 without the wind for a week straight last winter where I work out by Ross ND. Many people commute to the western part of the state for oil job and return home daily to Minot or surrounding towns as oil drilling isnt here yet. I will say that after 11 years of this place making well over 100k a yr in my first year of oil work along with a cheap house I got before the oil boom and flood I still cannot wait to get out of this place. Winter is a draining time if you have a family. Gun/hunting culture is excellent if that keeps you going all year. We have a 1/8th mile drag strip in town but limited openings during the short season. The thing that gets me is the distance you are from anything else if you have to travel for family etc, flying out of Minot is absurd. We drive to Fargo to fly anywhere and its a minimum of 1/2 the cost of leaving from Minot.

Also forgot to ad I am blocks from MSU and there is more hot girls out roaming around from there than ever in the time Ive been here, plenty of houses for sale and the market IS coming down and stabilizing. Still high but there is plenty of places available.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just left in July. I was there because of the AFB for 2 years. I was also, a young, active single guy.

That place sucks. The girls think they're hot shit. The dudes think they're the baddest guys around.
View Quote

Yep.

I've been here since 09.

My favorite thing about Minot was when they sent me to Rapid City for 6 months!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#49]
TURN YOUR KEY SIR
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If the only thing you like to do is sit in a room and jerkoff... Minot is for you!
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top