Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#1]
$105 for my rescued GSD/Golden mutt (included fixing, shots and paperwork)
$400 for my wife's fru-fru Shitzu/Poodle from the breeder (included shots and paperwork)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm picking up my Shiloh this weekend.  He is $1,800.  I know it's a big lump sump purchase, but average it out over 10-12 years.  It's like 150-180 a year.  Sometimes I've spent more than that on booze in one MONTH.   I can justify it because it's the only dog I've wanted for quite some time and I won't settle for less.  I know the bloodlines and health of the parents and even the parents of the breeding pair.  Some places you'll be lucky to see the parents of the dogs.

My last dog, a lab, we got for free, but spent thousands on vet bills due to his extreme allergies.  Who knows I could spend more or less for my new one, but knowing his family history he looks like he will be a very healthy dog.  

Also less than 2 grand for a security system that lasts 10+ years is cheap!  If someone spent 20 minutes in my home they could take 10-15 grand worth of guns, electronics, furniture, etc.  I gotta work to pay the bills but having a 150lb dog at home walking around the house gives me a better feeling I don't have to worry about anything missing when I get home.

And you're also paying for a friend.  I see people dump 10K on a wedding ring and get divorced a year later.  I can guarantee you that my dog won't bitch and complain and WILL be my best friend.  

Well said.

One of the things that I think is important about my Shiloh is instant, total, 100% 24/7 attention and obedience. If I snap my fingers, this dog responds - literally.  Never leaves my side, and considers himself my full-time bodyguard.

I can't tell you what instant obedience and the ability to learn a command in one training session is worth in dollars -- but it does make life a whole lot easier.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#3]
We spent $1200 for our Great Dane and $300 for our Sheltie.

We spent $75 for our Chow/Lab Mix from the shelter and saved her. Most loyal dog ever. GO to  your local Humane Society.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#4]
About $400 for him.

He's had some problems in the new houose, we just can't trust him here like we could before but I love the big hair ball.  I'm hoping we can get him through.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
$600 for our dog up front.

many thousands more in maintenance/vet bills

She's gotten better though. Good thing the wife and I are DINKs!

That's one major reason I was willing to pay more than 600 up front.

Huh? I'm talking about a Toy Poodle here. By a respected breeder... She would have kept the dog except she has a couple of small defects that would preclude her from actually being shown and bred (a slight underbite is the main one). I did my research and this was a great breeder.

No, my dog swallowed a zipper as a puppy (turn your back for one second...), got necrosis from a bad reaction to her rabies shot (unavoidable), and blew her knee out (possibly a genetic thing but the other knee is OK).

She's been fine for us for the last couple of years.

Don't try to make it sound like we cheaped out. Geez.  You have this magical way of making things dreary, don't you?

Let's see. Did you make that clear? No.  Do you want to hear stories about all the people I have talked to who -- when they said "vet bills" -- were talking about things like bad hips and other serious health problems that came with the dog?  Probably not.

Was it up to you to call me on it? Was it call-able or did you come off as nit picking my post while trying to make yourself look as smart as possible at my expense?

Did I really need to clarify more? Why? Who cares?

All you did was show how imperious you can be. Well done!  

Get a life, dude. Where do you get "imperious" out of a single sentence that doesn't really mention you at all? Unbunch your panties. You will feel better.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
We paid $250 for our Yorkie back in 2002.  Bought it from a friend who is a breeder which is why it was only $250.  She was a great dog but disappeared one very cold winter day in Jan 2004.  I think a coyote got her while she was out doing her thing.

We looked at getting another one but also suffered sticker shock since our friend was no longer breeding them and we weren't going to get a deal there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Full breed Irish Setter. They were $400 to $500. I offered the guy $200 via email. He said yes but I could not havve the breeding rights. That was cool with me. You might want to try that. Forgot to mention the litter was 12 and I watched in the paper as the qty went down. Figured he may be willing to deal after there were 4 left.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In my experience, mutts tend to be healthier than pure-bred dogs.

And I know of (2) $1000 dogs, one who is always pinning the woman of the house and mounting her.
The other, a Husky, that tried to become the Alpha male of th ehouse.

If you buy a Husky and don't expect to make it known that you are the pack leader and reinforce it then you made a piss poor choice in dogs.  They are not as easily put-in-place as other dogs.  Lots of them are abandoned because they are too much work in the early stages.  Take one to obedience class and you'll get an education fast.  They have almost cat-like personality traits.

ETA: The general "you" not you in particular.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, I have a friend who is looking at a Ragdoll cat ... "pet quality" kittens are generally $600-750!

Your friend could get this one cheap

She would kill me if I suggested that to her.  She likes animals better than people.  

She says Ragdolls are very peculiar so only purebreeds will do.  From what I've read on the subject, Ragdolls were bred specifically for certain character traits that are rarely found in cats ... they will literally go limp in your arms if you pick them up and they are very docile and great with kids.  

While I've never seen a cat do the former, friendly cats are a dime a dozen.  Worth $700?  I dunno, but I guess if you have small kids and really want to be guaranteed to have a cat that will get along great with them ... and have the ability to double as a duster then I guess it might be worth the cash.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Gman: What kind of dog is that? Does he/she shed?

Very cute dog.

Jack Russell Terrorist

Sheds a little.

She's a live wire, not for the faint of  heart. Not recommended for kids, but we love her.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, I take my Shiloh out for a walk each weekend and I am quite sure that if I had a litter of puppies, at 2Gs each, they would sell like cold beer on the Fourth of July. There are a lot of people out there who are willing to pay that kind of money for something they think is special in a dog.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#12]

she was almost $1000, she came from a private breeder in North Dakota. long way for a 8week old puppy to travel, seeing we live here in Rhode Island. she is incrediblely intelligent, affectionate, protective and loyal, just as our previous Akita was. would not even think twice about spending double the price for her. it's all about priorities, how bad do you want one? she was only about 6 months old in this picture.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
She says Ragdolls are very peculiar so only purebreeds will do.  From what I've read on the subject, Ragdolls were bred specifically for certain character traits that are rarely found in cats ... they will literally go limp in your arms if you pick them up and they are very docile and great with kids.  

My father and step-mother spent about $1,600 on a pair of ragdolls.  To much freaking money for defective cats.

Yes, Ragdolls are supposed to go limp when you pick them up, but they are also bread for size.  Their male weighs in about 24lbs and is actually very trim at that weight.  Imagine a 24 lb cat going limp when you pick him up?  However, in the case of my parents' cats they are both so incredibly high strung that you can't pick either one up off the ground without it completely freaking out, thus defective.

The male is also the stupidest cat I have ever seen.  When he takes a crap in the litter pan he will dig all around the outside of the pan trying to cover his crap, but never actually moves litter around.  He will sometimes "dig" for minutes trying to cover his crap before he finally gives up.  My dad has confirmed that in the four years they have owned the cats, he has never successfully covered his own waste in the litterbox.

Tell your friend to buy with confidence!

SBG

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#14]
About whatever the local SPCA charges.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
German Shepherd Rescue Orgs in your area...

NE Wyoming GSD Rescue  
Cel Hope  
4817 Big Horn Ave  
Sheridan , WY    82801  
307-674-4800
[email protected]  
www.celhaus.com/gsdrescue.html  

Contacted her today, filled out an application.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top