BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It is my dream to have a wife that made $1,000,000 a year, came home to give it to me, and proceed to play trachea hockey with my stick.
View Quote

I thought you already had that!![;D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
We live off one income.  My wife quit a great job to stay home with our first child, 6 years ago.  It was tough getting used to living on one salary.

That being said, it is the way to go.  The best thing you can do is raise your children.  Money is not the yardstick that you will be remembered by.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell I wish my wife made a couple hundred thou a year. I'd be glad to be a house husband. I'd get the house work done and go fishin' or shootin'.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hmmmm... very interesting.  But how many of you would be willing to give up YOUR jobs to be a stay-at-home dad?
View Quote

At the drop of a hat. Two shakes of a coons tail. It would make your head spin.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmmmm... very interesting.  But how many of you would be willing to give up YOUR jobs to be a stay-at-home dad?
View Quote

I have a friend in the church I attended when I lived in N MI.  He and his wife both had jobs that payed about the same.  Hers was a 9-5 accounting gig.  His was a crazy hours, high stress, lots of travel job.

They had kids (3) and decided that stay-at-home parenting was the right way to raise them.  Now he gets the oldest off to school and the younger ones go fishing with him probably over 100 days a year.  He's got a catering biz that he runs out of his home (in a prior life he was a profesional chef).  That takes some time but it fits in well with his wife's schedule.  Not a bad life if you ask me.

Kent

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife knows that unless we win the lottery she will be working for a loooooooooooooong time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I would love to have a stay at home wife. I try my best daily to better myself and someday make more money than her. Unless we have a severe lifestyle change this just isn't going to happen.
Having her at work wreaks havoc with trying to plan kids. Daycare will take a severe bite out of our salaries and we really do not want others raising our kids. Wish I could be a stay at home dad, we'll see what transpires in the future.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing's for sure: If I ever do get married and have a family, I do not want my kids being raised by day-care & after school programs.

A child should learn 'me' before 'we', which is exactly the opposite of what the school system produces. I would want to raise an individual, not a follower - someone who knows it's what they think, not what their friends think, that matters first...

So someone's got to stay home, at least untill the kid(s) are 13 or 14... Given what I want to do for a career (active duty military), that means I wouldn't be the one staying home (plus the fact that it would be rather hard for my wife to have a career (instead of just 'a job') relocating regularly, etc)...

Another reason (besides the 'family or career' choice that I never want to need to make) I'll probably stay single...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife makes more than me and it doesn't bother me at all.  I wish she would make even more.  The more $$ she makes the more toys I can buy.  It doesn't matter where it comes from in our household.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I encouraged my wife to apply at a local pharmaceutical company when we were first dating. Good move for my future retirement plans[:D] She is doing very well and I am proud of her. I have purposely avoided working at the same company, one of the premier employers in the area, because (A)I don't believe putting all your eggs in one basket is a good idea, and (B) the company is too damned PC  and regulated for my tastes.

I work in a lab at a local university with no set hours. Make a little less cash, but can come and go virtually at will. This a huge perk during the hunting season. I'm almost embarrassed with all my vacation time. Very stress free and fun job.

BUT, if she got a BIG promotion, I would stay home in a heartbeat. It would just kill me to be able to hunt and shoot every day of the week!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top