BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:46:25 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't you guys go blind by looking at that bright light?
View Quote

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but they wear helmets with dark lenses and most modern ones are auto darken so you can see somewhat normal when you aren't welding but when you start the lenses darken
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:50:06 AM EDT
Quoted:

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but they wear helmets with dark lenses and most modern ones are auto darken so you can see somewhat normal when you aren't welding but when you start the lenses darken
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sarcasm, I heard it's still bad on the eyes. And it seems lots of guys skip eye pro for quick zaps, keep in mind I don't  know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:25:12 AM EDT
Quoted:

Not sarcasm, I heard it's still bad on the eyes. And it seems lots of guys skip eye pro for quick zaps, keep in mind I don't  know what I'm talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welders had no shoelaces type shoes, helmets with dark glasses, and head scarves or skull caps....standard
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:10:23 AM EDT
Quoted:
What kind of fire extinguishing equipment is there when you weld fuel tanks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been welding since 1979.

The USAF trained me and certified me in TIG on several different alloys for manned flight hardware.

Since then I've welded in the oil patch, construction, fabrication, ornamental iron, and aerospace.

I've worked on the United States Space Shuttle External Tank for Lockheed Martin, Boeings Delta II and Delta IV, Mitsubishis liquid oxygen tanks for their space program, the ARES program for the N.A.S.A., and currently for Boeing on the SLS program.

VPPAW, GTAW, GMAW, Self Reacting Friction Stir, Conventional Friction Stir, and Plug Weld Friction Stir.

What do you want to know?

eta, this is the biggest moveable object that I've welded on.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Externaltank.jpg

The tanks are empty and have never held fuel. We built them from scratch.   The testing is extensive before they ever see fuel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:30:32 AM EDT

That's some tier 1 shit talkin.  :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:39:53 AM EDT
Quoted:
No such thing a licensed welder AFAIK.

I started learning to weld when I was 13, got my first job as a welder when I was 16, went to two years of welding school, spent ten years welding pipe and tubes.  Been certified on everything from plate to low alloy heavy wall pipe and tubes.  

Welding that pays a lot of money is a series of dead-end jobs that take you to many different shit-hole refinery/powerplant/paper mill/oil field towns where you spend most of your money on hotels and all the associated expense of living on the road.  Not to mention that you will never have a family or any semblance of a stable, functional life.

Welding that doesn't keep you on the road will get you about $12-$15 an hour.

View Quote

this man has been there and done that I am guessing

Speed

I count it as a skill not a trade, no offence to those that do it as such

ETA, I was thinking in reference to the jobs available around my area, and there are welding jobs that are far more advanced and more money than here.  Here it is Krause plow, and superior boiler as the top pay, unless your a pipeliner.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:48:25 AM EDT
Quoted:
i must be overcharging  

by $60/hr

ETA: my biggest jobs were mostly welding custom bridges. did a 60 ft. bridge made from 8" I's arched 30" inches. jigged it up in the yard, shot in the corners and went to town. picked it up with a crane, set it on a flatbed semi and shipped it out. did a 216' ft. suspension bridge design/build project for a Boy Scout camp. had to demo a bridge built by the WPA in the 30's, run new cables and install the new bridge.all while hanging from cables 40 ft in the air. that one was fun. other smaller jobs when i owned an ornamental shop. i charged and still charge $75/hr when i fire up a welder, although i'm mostly retired now.
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a533/rwilkins01/20121126_143501_zpsk7jbvyej.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a533/rwilkins01/20130128_154129_zpsisb2ucvo.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started learning to weld when I was 13, got my first job as a welder when I was 16, went to two years of welding school, spent ten years welding pipe and tubes.  Been certified on everything from plate to low alloy heavy wall pipe and tubes.  

Welding that pays a lot of money is a series of dead-end jobs that take you to many different shit-hole refinery/powerplant/paper mill/oil field towns where you spend most of your money on hotels and all the associated expense of living on the road.  Not to mention that you will never have a family or any semblance of a stable, functional life.

i must be overcharging  

by $60/hr

ETA: my biggest jobs were mostly welding custom bridges. did a 60 ft. bridge made from 8" I's arched 30" inches. jigged it up in the yard, shot in the corners and went to town. picked it up with a crane, set it on a flatbed semi and shipped it out. did a 216' ft. suspension bridge design/build project for a Boy Scout camp. had to demo a bridge built by the WPA in the 30's, run new cables and install the new bridge.all while hanging from cables 40 ft in the air. that one was fun. other smaller jobs when i owned an ornamental shop. i charged and still charge $75/hr when i fire up a welder, although i'm mostly retired now.
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a533/rwilkins01/20121126_143501_zpsk7jbvyej.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a533/rwilkins01/20130128_154129_zpsisb2ucvo.jpg

Nice work, but I think the OP was refering to pay as a employee, not a owner, whole different ballgame.

Speed
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:03:43 PM EDT
how many ways can you split a hair?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:17:13 PM EDT
Quoted:

The tanks are empty and have never held fuel. We built them from scratch.   The testing is extensive before they ever see fuel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The USAF trained me and certified me in TIG on several different alloys for manned flight hardware.

Since then I've welded in the oil patch, construction, fabrication, ornamental iron, and aerospace.

I've worked on the United States Space Shuttle External Tank for Lockheed Martin, Boeings Delta II and Delta IV, Mitsubishis liquid oxygen tanks for their space program, the ARES program for the N.A.S.A., and currently for Boeing on the SLS program.

VPPAW, GTAW, GMAW, Self Reacting Friction Stir, Conventional Friction Stir, and Plug Weld Friction Stir.

Have you ever had to do fuel tanks that were emptied?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:21:55 PM EDT
Quoted:

Speed

ETA, I was thinking in reference to the jobs available around my area, and there are welding jobs that are far more advanced and more money than here.  Here it is Krause plow, and superior boiler as the top pay, unless your a pipeliner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

I worked Facilities for American Airlines, just electro-hydraulic-mechanical stuff. We had one licensed electrician and one welder on the graveyard shift, they had the lightest load of work orders because of what they knew.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:36:58 PM EDT

I worked in a small shipyard for a couple of years, built a tug and a few barges, did some repair work on the beach in Alaska...

...I found a different line of work.

Partly because the yard I was working for folded, mostly because breathing welding fumes in a poorly ventilated barge compartment for 8-12 hours a day is not fun. At all.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:15:34 PM EDT
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will never happen. The testing that those things went through makes it impossible for a weld to fail after acceptance.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.