Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
They exist.  Four or five years ago they came down and removed vast chunks of grammatical knowledge from 80% of the population.  The proper use of apostrophes was clearly a priority.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I see them all the time working the non union construction sites.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
what are the odds that they DONT exist?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it incredibly unlikely that, in the 200 billion or so galaxies we know of, and the possible galaxies that we don't know of, and the hundreds or thousands of billions of stars in each of those hundreds of billions of galaxies, and on each of the planets and moons surrounding those stars, there isn't another form of life.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Am I in before the religious loonies?

Ra was the Goa'uld System Lord, only true God!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that somewhere in this inappreciably vast universe, something else is able to think and communicate.  Good enough for me.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It be nice if someone made a poll

Then make the poll OP?

Also...Universe is too big for other "intelligent" life forms not to exist outside of this world.  Whether or not we will EVER meet them...that is another story in itself.

Aliens existing would disprove God though....so...yep...religion strikes again.

Not if they were human.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then make the poll OP?

Also...Universe is too big for other "intelligent" life forms not to exist outside of this world.  Whether or not we will EVER meet them...that is another story in itself.

Why? Who said this was the only planet that God made? just because he doesn't specially mention or talk about other planets and civilization doesn't mean he hasn't made them. Or is it mentioned that we are the only ones?

Maybe our God made us and our universe, might be another God is responsible for another planet and universe, we don't need to know, we follow our chin of command and that is all we need to know / do. Anything else is irrelevant to us and our salvation at this time, we need to focus on us and living the way our God want us to, nothing else matters to our salvation and that might be why we haven't been told. I don't know, just not limiting myself to one possibility. I mean, just because we don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Maybe I am far to ignorant of lets say Islam or Christianity...

But doesn't it say that there is only ONE GOD..who made us in HIS IMAGE?  Unless we are talking about human aliens on different planets spread across the universe all doing the same shit...just different planet...

point out where it says the God never made anything at all besides humans
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of sci if fans here.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The uinverse is so big, we will drop our jaws once we realize how large and diverse alien life is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You do mean atheist right, to late
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then make the poll OP?

Not if they were human.

My good friend Brother Guy, the Pope's science adviser, says that the existence of ET life would has no real  bearing on the question of the existence of god.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, and they're a horde of predatory, reptilian centauroids coming to strip Earth of its resources and devour its inhabitants.

What round for reptilian centauroids?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lots of sci if fans here.

If there is a god, it speaks in Binary

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#17]
College grad here, Engineer, Christian.
Saw a UFO when I was 7 with my grandmother and her sister.

There is other life out there besides us.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I always thought this was a cool pic.

russian ufo crash

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Actually this is how it is.

Aliens are not stupid enough to attack us, it would destroy the planet if we tried to fight back, so they have been abduction humans a few years ago (I haven't heard of anymore abductions recently) and they used the DNA samples they took to create a hybrid race

They have done this so that they can plant and infiltrate our World to take over and make us their slaves, that is where the UN and Obama come from, the UN controls most of the Worlds governments and therefore their militaries, they can order the militaries to stand down and not fight when our alien over loads come to invade. However, America is possible the most armed civilian population on the planet and certainly the most difficult for the government to track and control.

Many attempts have been made to control the populations of the World, including the USA by making people dependent on government and technology, these are all in the big cities so people live in very tight, very controllable groups, everything is controlled from food and goods coming in to the cities to the distribution of electricity and running water, once your are in the city and a few generations have been city dwellers, the people forget how to forge a living on their own and are 100% dependent on the powers that be to provide for them, food, medical care, water, technology, transport, fuel, the list goes on, this is why the UN and governments around the World (Based on UN mandates see Agenda 21, the people are to be discouraged from living out side of cities where they can be made healthier, all under the guise of sustainability, health people make better slaves, being sustainable means stay in the cities so you don't break nature)

Unfortunately for our alien overlords because the USA has such a large and well armed population and because they are not as easy to control as governments and their militaries in terms of ordering non resistance to the comming over the over lords, they have had to send their main plant, Obama, he has to find a way to disarm the population and divide America, this will ensure the smooth take over once they arrive. This is now why so many unprecedented events are taking place so fast, such a talk of the possibility of EO's to disarm the public in some way and the talk of getting Obama a third term, with most people entertaining the possibility that is may happen. I mean he did get elected twice and he is Kenyan

That was my brief controversy theory brought to you all by lack of sleep and some pretty cool pain killers for burst abscess.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#20]
So far 11 people are just lying to themselves...
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#21]
My mom has seen them. I don't doubt she saw something mighty odd. I can't verify (and neither than she) that they were extraterrestrial beings. I don't dwell on the possibility of them being real. I think they might be, but who knows?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#22]
It's a mathematical certainty.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Intelligent life likely exists somewhere in the universe. They have likely not visited Earth.

This.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Given the size of the known universe and abundance of planets and orbital bodies it's a statistical impossibility that our planet holds the only living beings in the universe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then make the poll OP?

Why? Who said this was the only planet that God made? just because he doesn't specially mention or talk about other planets and civilization doesn't mean he hasn't made them. Or is it mentioned that we are the only ones?

Maybe our God made us and our universe, might be another God is responsible for another planet and universe, we don't need to know, we follow our chin of command and that is all we need to know / do. Anything else is irrelevant to us and our salvation at this time, we need to focus on us and living the way our God want us to, nothing else matters to our salvation and that might be why we haven't been told. I don't know, just not limiting myself to one possibility. I mean, just because we don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Maybe I am far to ignorant of lets say Islam or Christianity...

But doesn't it say that there is only ONE GOD..who made us in HIS IMAGE?  Unless we are talking about human aliens on different planets spread across the universe all doing the same shit...just different planet...

That is true, but what if there is only one true God who created us, that is our God and we are created in his image, that is fine, there may be a reptilian God who created them and their planet in his image, that is irrelevant to us our salvation because our God created us and our God will save us. Still would be nice to know though. maybe our God told us that so as not to confuse our simple brains.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Given the size of the known universe and abundance of planets and orbital bodies it's a statistical impossibility that our planet holds the only living beings in the universe.

What do you suppose the statics are regarding living beings and intelligent beings? I would say for the sake of this thread that we are talking about something at least as intelligent as our race (which isn't saying much if you ever visit the local Walmart)
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think it incredibly unlikely that, in the 200 billion or so galaxies we know of, and the possible galaxies that we don't know of, and the hundreds or thousands of billions of stars in each of those hundreds of billions of galaxies, and on each of the planets and moons surrounding those stars, there isn't another form of life.

This, doubt we've been visited though we're just a little podunk planet on the outer rim of our own galaxy, don't see why they'd even want to visit us other then to laugh and place bets if the stupid hairless apes destroy themselves.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This, doubt we've been visited though we're just a little podunk planet on the outer rim of our own galaxy, don't see why they'd even want to visit us other then to laugh and place bets if the stupid hairless apes destroy themselves.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#29]
If you can fathom the near infinite size of the universe and then still believe that our little blue orb is the only source of life in all of it.....  I bet you believe in hope and change as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Somewhere in the universe, sure.  It's a big place.

The UFO people are usually either crazy or lying.  Or they saw an airplane at night and assumed it was an alien spaceship.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Are we not Aliens ourselves?

.....of course there is life out there. We aren't the only fucking planet in the Habitabal zone of our universe, sorry, of the billions of stars in our  galaxy. or any universe/galaxy for that matter. mmm matter

ETA: Gotta be some life form out there that has this all of "this" figured out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Somewhere in the universe, sure.  It's a big place.

The UFO people are usually either crazy or lying.  Or they saw an airplane at night and assumed it was an alien spaceship.

can you prove it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and they're a horde of predatory, reptilian centauroids coming to strip Earth of its resources and devour its inhabitants.

M-300 Grav Rifle with antimatter rounds.

Or Bun-Bun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#34]
There may be planets out there where live is just starting, we may be the first one God made and he is doing it better on the others, he may have made a whole bunch, why just one? There could be a plant inhabited only by birds or planets where dinosaurs still roam because they weren't whacked by an asteroid.

There could be a Planet Poontang, inhabited by gorgeous women who want nothing more tan to please man.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Bun-Bun.

Will wpa 223 suffice?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Bun-Bun.

Will wpa 223 suffice?

Nope.  That'll just piss them off.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you can fathom the near infinite size of the universe and then still believe that our little blue orb is the only source of life in all of it.....  I bet you believe in hope and change as well.

This. If you can watch one of the 'zoom-out' vids without getting a headache, you're better than I am.

Like this one, maybe.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Is there other forms of intelligent life?

I am 100% sure there is..the universe is too big to not have other life around.

Have they been here?

Possibly, but there is no concrete proof at this point, so I say no.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean the ones whose religion is evolution and their god is themselves?  No, they have already posted.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#40]
yup, and watch this...

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Most likely yes, or there was before they blew themselves up. Considering how close we've come to nuking ourselves, I'm sure someone else out there was first.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#42]
the mathematical probability of life existing somewhere else in the universe is almost a certainty, but the universe is a really really big place and until we figure out the ability to bend space to shorten the trip we will never meet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#43]
That “the universe is big” argument cuts both ways.

The first hurdle is the formation of life in the first place. Life could have originated on Earth or it could be something that first formed elsewhere and then somehow traveled here. Even the most basic life is so complex that it’s unlikely to happen even once in a universe, much less multiple times. Life forming elsewhere and traveling to earth doesn’t change that. What it does mean is that there would be an area of the universe where life spores had spread with the rest of the universe being sterile. And even if you imagine that life can spontaneously form far more easily then the same principle still applies it’s just that there are multiple areas of the universe with life spores.

In any case, on Earth life took 1,500 million years to develop into eukaryotic cells from the simple prokaryotic cells. And yet another 1,500 million years went by before we got the Cambrian explosion where multicellular life really took off. That’s 3,000,000,000 years from the formation of life to the first worms. A lot can happen to a planet in that 3 billion years. Supernovas, black holes, loss of atmosphere, impacts, loss of water, being ejected into space by other large bodies… It’s hard to see how one planet in ten thousand that starts out with bacterial life could maintain a habitable environment for the three billion years required to evolve worms.

One other side note is that, as life advances life also requires a more finely tuned environment. Bacteria can survive harsh conditions, protozoa are tough but not quite so hardy, goldfish are even more delicate but can survive being frozen, something that would kill mammals. So it’s true that a planet might be able to harbor bacterial life for 3 billion years but not be able to harbor multicellular life.

And it takes another 500,000,000 years to go from worms to us… although a quick look at Washington suggests we haven’t gone very far at all, but that’s another subject. There’s no guarantee that advanced life would ever develop intelligence at all, plants have done just fine without having any kind of brain or nervous system. And smart aliens would also need the correct assortment of ores, minerals, crops, etc. to be able to develop civilization (“Guns Germs and Steel” also applies in space)

OK, but somewhere in this vast cosmos some planet overcomes all of that and actually develops Star Trek type space travel. (something that’s likely impossible no matter how big of brain your species has.) So what now?

Like I said, space is big and exploring space is likely going to be expensive. If this species built 1,000 starships and each starship explored one star system every week, then that civilization would explore 52,000 stars every year. In a millennia the civilization would have charted 52,000,000 systems. In twenty millennia… Twenty THOUSAND YEARS… they would have explored a bit over one billion stars. That sounds like a lot but there are something like 200,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone. So they have explored one half of one percent of one galaxy.

I imagine that the aliens would just give up looking long before then.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I believe the theory that in an infinite universe with infinite posibilities it is guaranteed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That “the universe is big” argument cuts both ways.

The first hurdle is the formation of life in the first place. Life could have originated on Earth or it could be something that first formed elsewhere and then somehow traveled here. Even the most basic life is so complex that it’s unlikely to happen even once in a universe, much less multiple times. Life forming elsewhere and traveling to earth doesn’t change that. What it does mean is that there would be an area of the universe where life spores had spread with the rest of the universe being sterile. And even if you imagine that life can spontaneously form far more easily then the same principle still applies it’s just that there are multiple areas of the universe with life spores.

In any case, on Earth life took 1,500 million years to develop into eukaryotic cells from the simple prokaryotic cells. And yet another 1,500 million years went by before we got the Cambrian explosion where multicellular life really took off. That’s 3,000,000,000 years from the formation of life to the first worms. A lot can happen to a planet in that 3 billion years. Supernovas, black holes, loss of atmosphere, impacts, loss of water, being ejected into space by other large bodies… It’s hard to see how one planet in ten thousand that starts out with bacterial life could maintain a habitable environment for the three billion years required to evolve worms.

One other side note is that, as life advances life also requires a more finely tuned environment. Bacteria can survive harsh conditions, protozoa are tough but not quite so hardy, goldfish are even more delicate but can survive being frozen, something that would kill mammals. So it’s true that a planet might be able to harbor bacterial life for 3 billion years but not be able to harbor multicellular life.

And it takes another 500,000,000 years to go from worms to us… although a quick look at Washington suggests we haven’t gone very far at all, but that’s another subject. There’s no guarantee that advanced life would ever develop intelligence at all, plants have done just fine without having any kind of brain or nervous system. And smart aliens would also need the correct assortment of ores, minerals, crops, etc. to be able to develop civilization (“Guns Germs and Steel” also applies in space)

OK, but somewhere in this vast cosmos some planet overcomes all of that and actually develops Star Trek type space travel. (something that’s likely impossible no matter how big of brain your species has.) So what now?

Like I said, space is big and exploring space is likely going to be expensive. If this species built 1,000 starships and each starship explored one star system every week, then that civilization would explore 52,000 stars every year. In a millennia the civilization would have charted 52,000,000 systems. In twenty millennia… Twenty THOUSAND YEARS… they would have explored a bit over one billion stars. That sounds like a lot but there are something like 200,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone. So they have explored one half of one percent of one galaxy.

I imagine that the aliens would just give up looking long before then.

On the other hand, that's assuming that our carbon-based life is the only possible form of life.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you suppose the statics are regarding living beings and intelligent beings? I would say for the sake of this thread that we are talking about something at least as intelligent as our race (which isn't saying much if you ever visit the local Walmart)

I'd say given the extreme amount of variables in the universe that it would still be an impossibility for other intelligent life to not exist.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I believe the odds are we are not alone.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Exist yes.

Visit earth, nope.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#49]
No, we do not exist. We're not the ET's you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Does anyone really think that Humans are the best that God could do???
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top