BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Our first videotape player was a fucking BetaMax.  The first movie we bought for it was Star Wars.

Ours was a fucking BetaMax too.  

Literally.

The only store-bought tape we had for it was a Swedish Erotica movie that Dad kept in his sock drawer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My Grandma bought me Kiss Alive 2 a couple months after it came out. God I loved that album!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember the old lenses that would turn your B&W TV into "color?"  Several of my neighbors had them.  It had a green tint at the bottom, some had flesh tones in the middle, and blue at the top.  It sounds stupid, but the illusion worked pretty well.  Anyone remember what they were called?z
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I remember when there was no such thing as DVDs, and when VHS and Beta was cool new technology, whippersnapper.

Yep. I remember when 8tracks were cutting edge technology.

Don't forget the matchbook you had to jam under them so they would track right.

Haha, yep.  And had to have a pair of needle nose pliers to change the channel on the TV after the plastic knob broke.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember only 8 channels on my TV.

City boy. We only had 4 and we had to go outside and turn our antenna for half of those.

Hey

I grew up in CT.

Remember when all broadcasting stopped at night?

They would play the national anthem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

City boy.  We only had 4 and we had to go outside and turn our antenna for half of those.

We only had 2 and a half.  You had to hold your mouth (and the rabbit ears) just right to watch the third channel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

City boy. We only had 4 and we had to go outside and turn our antenna for half of those.

Hey
I grew up in CT.

Don't some channels still do that?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

City boy.  We only had 4 and we had to go outside and turn our antenna for half of those.

I remember three channels

When Wizard of Oz played once a year, it was a big event. Every kid in my grammar school got to stay up late to watch it.

No DVD, VCR, cable.... You watched it that night, or you waited til next year.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey

I grew up in CT.

Don't some channels still do that?

None that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Of course I remember DVDs on two sides.  That was like, 1996-1997.  Do you remember this?

This was our first video player, long before my family bought a VCR.  We loved this thing.  It's what I first saw "Blazing Saddles" on when I was about 10.  Still love that movie to this day.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I found a wire recorder in Natty Geo's basement
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Laser disks, 8-tracks, beta tapes....  punch cards for computers
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember when TVs had round picture tubes as kids once a year we would take the colored cellophane wrappers from our easter baskets and scotch tape them over the screen WA LA!!!! color TV
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember being the remote control for the TV. Also having a party line. We lived in the country and got one channel. I remember watching Slim Pickens and the Porter Wagoner Show on Sunday afternoons. A very un-buxom Dolly Parton was a regular on Porter Wagoner.

I still have a stack of 45's from my teenage years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never heard of such.  First DVD I ever bought, they managed to fit the whole thing on one side.

It was a laser disc player. Came out before DVD's, but the disc was about the size of a LP record and usually required two of them to play one movie.  Almost bought one! DVD players came along not much later and laser disc was dead.

I'm familiar with laserdiscs, which were indeed double-sided, but I've never known an actual DVD to have only half the movie on one side.

My copy of Stargate on DVD has the movie on two sides, you have to flip it half way through.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I remember when there was no such thing as DVDs, and when VHS and Beta was cool new technology, whippersnapper.

I remember when we had hand puppets, and we had to make-up our own stories as we went along.

The sex scenes were always a bitch because sometimes my hands would be dry.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
We have vinyl growing up but it was already phasing out and people were using cassettes.

I do remember getting boxes of fruity pepples just so I could cut out the cardboard "vinyl" out of the back and listen to stupid flinstones songs.  I just thought it was so cool that the cereal box could make music.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
How about the tube testers along with the tubes in the hardware store for when one your radio or TV went bad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember Super 8 you young whippersnapper.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I had one of these..

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Of course I remember DVDs on two sides.  That was like, 1996-1997.  Do you remember this?

<a href="http://www.fearnet.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201118/Feb_11_B_VideoDisc.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.fearnet.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201118/Feb_11_B_VideoDisc.jpg</a>

This was our first video player, long before my family bought a VCR.  We loved this thing.  It's what I first saw "Blazing Saddles" on when I was about 10.  Still love that movie to this day.

I saw Blazing Saddles at a drive-in.  Plus a bunch of other movies back then, including Star Wars.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember super 8mm films
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

City folk.  We only had 3 stations and you had to go outside with a pair of channel locks to turn the antenna so the channel would come in.

J

ETA. Beaten repeatedly by folks that grew up with the same shitty TV as me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

yep! then there was laser disc..........
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#28]
As the youngest of six in Detroit in the 60's I WAS THE REMOTE and the antenna. I fondly remember
taking dads directions and the enthusiasm of the family when doing a good job.
Not to mention polishing dads shoes and rubbing his feet; those where coveted duties.
I really miss those days and the love and devotion we all had.

Quoted:
...DVDs that had half of the movie on one side and the rest of the movie on the other?

Damn, I hate watching a movie I hadn't seen in years only to find out that I have to turn the disc over to watch the rest of the movie.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I still have the slide rule that I used in college.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember being the remote control for the TV.  

I didn't even SEE a television remote until I was a teen.

Oh yeah? I remember having to wait for the tubes on the TV to warm up! AND only got channel 2, 4, 8 and with the bunny ears just right, 12!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I still have the slide rule that I used in college.

I still carry one in the field. Never needs batteries, can read it in the sun, and if I drop it off of whatever I'm taking field measurments on it won't shatter into a million pieces that won't work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah? I remember having to wait for the tubes on the TV to warm up! AND only got channel 2, 4, 8 and with the bunny ears just right, 12!!

I remember seeing my first remote at about age 10 as well. The people across the street got one, all it could do was up/down channel and on/off. Of course we had 4 channels so no big deal. It activated an electric motor that had a belt that physically turned the knob out front.

Until then I was pretty sure I was the remote and everyone had a pair of these on the TV to change channels.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I WAS the television remote until I was a teen.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top