Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
2 King James`, one is old and was my Grandmothers. I`m still finding places she had marked in it.
1 Self help addition
The Oxford campanion to the Bible, and a book of prayers.

And this 48 pg. pocket sized book with a few important scriptures and useful information a guy might could use if he found himself in a war. It has a calendar for January to June of 1945. My Grandfather had it with him in Germany during WWII.
i152.photobucket.com/albums/s189/Boru_album/pocket001.jpg

This makes me think/wonder.....

Was there anything similar to the Christian "pocket bible" that Jewish slave laborers (or those still "on the lam" from the Nazis) would carry on their person?

Maybe a pocket edition of the Torah or Talmud, or even some kind of concise/abridged version of.... something?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't own one, but there's many, many on the Web.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am very anti religious...

But with that being said I do have a couple. They were gifts from relatives. the relatives are gone, but their books remain. So I keep them and think of them.

Whether you agree or dont agree with whats in the book its still an important book for western culture.

You may be "Anti-Religious"!

But your still a Christian. In your HEART.....and you know it!  

Or you would have thrown those Bible's in the garbage long ago.

Kind of makes you think that your throwing your life in the garbage at that point doesn't it?

That's why you have never let them "Book's" go!

I am not a Christian and I still keep them around.  I don't pray to Webster, but I still have a dictionary in the house, too.

+1

You keep a Websters around when you need to find the definition of a word.

And ambiguously you keep "THEM" around.

When someday maybe, you may need to look into "THEM", for the definition of your life.

My thoughts......  

Disagree... however if you or another Christian ever needed to borrow one I wouldnt object.  Life for me is about more than what is written in a book. If the book brings some people meaning and joy great. If it doesnt thats great to.

I prefer the idea of freedom to choose to read it, not read it, keep one or keep none..
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
None, parents own one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 4 or 5
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:57:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am very anti religious...

But with that being said I do have a couple. They were gifts from relatives. the relatives are gone, but their books remain. So I keep them and think of them.

Whether you agree or dont agree with whats in the book its still an important book for western culture.

You may be "Anti-Religious"!

But your still a Christian. In your HEART.....and you know it!  

Or you would have thrown those Bible's in the garbage long ago.

Kind of makes you think that your throwing your life in the garbage at that point doesn't it?

That's why you have never let them "Book's" go!

I am not a Christian and I still keep them around.  I don't pray to Webster, but I still have a dictionary in the house, too.

+1

You keep a Websters around when you need to find the definition of a word.

And ambiguously you keep "THEM" around.

When someday maybe, you may need to look into "THEM", for the definition of your life.

My thoughts......  

No, I keep the Bibles around because a couple were given to me as gifts by my dad, who is dead now, and one is a huge, illustrated family Bible given to me as a Christmas present by my sister.  I do use them for reference now and again when having debates with Bible thumpers, though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:03:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a whole stack of them, until I was told to my horror that the hotel rooms don't give them as complimentary gifts. Whoops.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably about 6. There's 2 large ones, 2 medium size and 2 of the little Gideons Bibles that I got somewhere when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
i own 2-3
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Own:  ZERO

Have in House: ZERO

Allow in House:  ZERO.

That about covers it.

Same here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#11]
several. i have given away a few and leave some out for guest. their is one for each member of the family and then some.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Four and I'm not even Christian.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I own 4 Bibles and a Quran.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have tons of Bibles going back as far as the 1700s.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I own one. (I'm an atheist)

Haven't read it in over ten years.

I would give it to someone else, but who? Everyone either has one or doesn't want it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Ooops!  I mis-voted.  I have one bible in King James but two more in other versions.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Two
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm an atheist, but I think I've got one left over from a Bible as Lit class from college
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Somewhere between 0 and 15 depending on which definition of the word "bible" you ascribe to.  From the average American's point of view, the count is probably around 8.  They've all been at least partially scanned, but some are definitely more used than others.  I've got one specific copy with page markers sticking out of it like a friggen porcupine at the Post-it note factory that makes appearances at Christian-themed debates.  

I'm a pretty hardcore bitter atheist.  I'm not very holy.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I own 4, plus several other holy books from different religions.  This isn't an indication of how "holy" I am, though.  They have sentimental value.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#22]
How many bibles do you own?
A few different kinds, all worthy in their own way.

2 Christian Bibles, Koran, Spiderman #6, Bhagavad-gita , The Buddhist Bible, AC\DC Back in Black, The Three Jewels to be sought in Taoism, SOF #1
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#24]
just the one the "Gideons" left in my hotel room.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2 King James`, one is old and was my Grandmothers. I`m still finding places she had marked in it.
1 Self help addition
The Oxford campanion to the Bible, and a book of prayers.

And this 48 pg. pocket sized book with a few important scriptures and useful information a guy might could use if he found himself in a war. It has a calendar for January to June of 1945. My Grandfather had it with him in Germany during WWII.
i152.photobucket.com/albums/s189/Boru_album/pocket001.jpg

This makes me think/wonder.....

Was there anything similar to the Christian "pocket bible" that Jewish slave laborers (or those still "on the lam" from the Nazis) would carry on their person?

Maybe a pocket edition of the Torah or Talmud, or even some kind of concise/abridged version of.... something?

I don't know for sure, but I do know that a Torah is supposed to be a very sacred object. There are so many rules for actual Torahs... they have to be written by trained scribes, the parchment they're written on and the pens they're written with have to come from kosher animals, the parchment has to be a specific type, if a mistake is made in writing a name of god, the entire page has to be cut and a new one sewn in... I doubt they carried actual Torahs, but they may have carried books containing the text.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#27]
It is just a book of hebrew folklore and myth.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just for you, wise_jake, I grabbed it and typed it in for you :

Vor Fader, du, som er i Himlene!  Helliget vorde dit navn; kommer dit rige; ske din vilje på jorden some den sker i Himmelen; giv os i dag vort daglige brød; og forlad os vor skyld, som også vi forlader vore skyldnere; og led os ikke ind i fristelse; men fri os fra det onde; thi dit er Riget og magten og æren i evighed! Amen.  

Just an interesting note, DK.....

I don't speak a word of that language, but was easily able to identify it.

Interesting.

You should be glad you don't understand danish. It's an awful language which is best described as a throat infection.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#29]
246.  I'm building a stairway to Jesus.

I think one is plenty, and it certainly doesn't make you any more/less "holy".
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vor Fader, du, som er i Himlene!  Helliget vorde dit navn; kommer dit rige; ske din vilje på jorden some den sker i Himmelen; giv os i dag vort daglige brød; og forlad os vor skyld, som også vi forlader vore skyldnere; og led os ikke ind i fristelse; men fri os fra det onde; thi dit er Riget og magten og æren i evighed! Amen.  

Interesting.

I bet you would have recognized it, had it been in Swahili or Hungarian!  

In Latin, it has that same cadence and "feel" to it:

Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur Nomen tuum.  Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Two, one German, one English.
They were given to me at no cost, and I thought why not?
I'm not religous, but it can't hurt to have a "holy book" in the house.

I read about one chapter, got a good chuckle* out of it, and put it on the bookshelf...

*not to insult anybody, but ...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Since a couple have asked what version ARFCOMers would recommend, here's a resource for you to look at a few different versions to see which fits you best:

This link pulls up the NIV
translation of John chapter 14. Use the box above and to the right of the passage to pull down a menu that will let you change to different translations (or even languages if your first language isn't English.) Below are some other good translations:

NASB (New American Standard Bible) is easier for me to read and understand. ESV (English Standard Version) is what I read right now and have found to be the most easily read and understood translation that remains sufficiently literal in its translation. KJV (King James) is the more poetic translation with the 'thee's and 'thou's if you prefer that.

Finally, a lot of folks find it easier and more enjoyable to read a paraphrase like The Message. If you're looking for specific answers and trying to dig deep you'll need to either read one of the true translations above or at least have one to read in parallel with your paraphrase. (A paraphrase  and a good study bible with a topical index and notes in the margins make a good combo.)
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

I have memorized the Lord's Prayer in German. The similarity between the two languages is noticeable.

But that is to be expected since they are both members of the Indo-European family of languages. As far as that goes, so is English.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I have memorized the Lord's Prayer in German. The similarity between the two languages is noticeable.

But that is to be expected since they are both members of the Indo-European family of languages. As far as that goes, so is English.

Technically, isn't English pretty much considered a Germanic language too?

In terms of basic vocabulary and structure, there's a lot of commonality between Danish/German on the one hand, and English on the other.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Lemme know when you decide to "take the stairs" so I can look up your skirt.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In terms of basic vocabulary and structure, there's a lot of commonality between Danish/German on the one hand, and English on the other.

Yes, and what's more, English and German are both West Germanic (Danish is Northern Germanic). The closest living languages to English are Frisian and the Low Franconian (Nederlands, Afrikaans), Low Saxon (Low German languages), and High German (Standard German, Austro-Bavarian, Alemannic, Yiddish, and many others).
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#37]
 In the old days a bible was the only book some people owned, if
they had any books at all.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Exactly. The number you have doesn't make any difference, it's what you do with them. That's where the godliness comes from.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

yup.. I got it too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I used to have a whole stack of them, until I was told to my horror that the hotel rooms don't give them as complimentary gifts. Whoops.

The Gideons  leave those bibles in hotel rooms hoping that you'll take it and read it.
The hotel has nothing to do with them being there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and what's more, English and German are both West Germanic (Danish is Northern Germanic). The closest living languages to English are Frisian and the Low Franconian (Nederlands, Afrikaans), Low Saxon (Low German languages), and High German (Standard German, Austro-Bavarian, Alemannic, Yiddish, and many others).

Well-put.  English is often described as French/Latin [vocab] on a Germanic framework [grammar].  That doesn't quite capture it, but gives a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
4. One was my Grandmothers Russian Orthodox prayer Bible.

Funny thing... I'm pretty much an agnostic heathen.

They still look good on the shelf. To be honest it's not like most believers use theirs for anything more than decoration anyways.

I've actually read mine. More than once. It's how I ended up an agnostic...

What did you read in the Bible that made you an agnostic ?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#44]
me and my wife probably have about eight.

my brother has about 30. i'm a christian but i still tease him about having so many. just don't see the point is having a whole shelf of the same book.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#45]
My parents have at least one or two.  I don't have any.  I'm not Christian, though I do find the Bible interesting from a historical point of view.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. The number you have doesn't make any difference, it's what you do with them. That's where the godliness comes from.

+1
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#47]
2--a KJV travel bible and a NKJV study bible.

also have the qumran texts, nag hammadi library, jewish apocrypha and pseudepigraphia, a translation of josephus, etc.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, as others have noted, English is considered a Germanic language.

In languages that are etymologically cognate, such as the Indo-European family, a significant portion of the vocabulary is similar.

I have formally studied and employed 5 languages in the Indo-European family. Once one learns one of them, there is considerable overlap. When I studied outside of the Indo-European family, it was much more difficult to learn the vocabulary.

I did a little google search, intending to cut and paste the Lord’s Prayer in German as I have learned it so that readers could see the similarities with the Danish version. However, I was not successful. I found Luther’s translation of 1533 and modern translations, but they differ slightly from that which I have learned.

I learned the prayer as it is found in German language hymnals and catechisms published in America for German speakers in the 19th and 20th century. When I have time, I’ll have to do a little research to see if I am able to trace the history of the variations.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I might have one in the house that was I think a Christmas present to one of the girls when they were itty bitty and new. I read some of it while out in the garage having a smoke occasionally. Lost track of it and don't know for sure if it's here anymore or not.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#50]
None.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top