BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
ZERO

Bet you weren't expecting this many zero's, huh?

For as morally crusading as arfcom tends to be, neither was I.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
reading the most influential book in modern times is for suckers
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Afraid of religion?

nope...

Despise Religion...
Yeppers...

I do have some other nice science fiction novels that fill that void so I have no need for a bible.

Wow look at you go! You're so kickass. It's edgy, it's in your face, I love it! It's not that you just don't believe in it, you won't even allow one in your house. Rad!

1 King James bible.
1 Quran
1 Book of Mormon
1 Conversations with God  
?? Watchtowers

There's probably some other religious books I can't think of, most of them are given to me because I express interest in this sort of thing to coworkers and friends.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I own one, but it back in the states.

I think its next to my Koran.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Hilarious Video:I LIKE BIG BIBLES!

(a parody of the song "baby got back")
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
1/2.  I have a pocket size New Testament
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I think this is going to go the way of the man with only one gun,I have only one bible and it's well used.  You can ask about Tattoes,baldness,unicorns,pissing in the wind,and it's all indexted in my Bible!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
None - All forms of Religion have long been banned in my home.

For the Record, all forms of Politics have been banned as well.

Did you go for the trifecta?

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I think there's 4 or 5 laying around.  I know where 3 are, but there's probably a couple others that I've forgotten about.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've got three.

One is the "field Bible" that I was issued in the Danish army (primarily NT).  I still have it, and it's a nice small convenient form.  Here's a pic:

The second is an annotated Oxford Bible (including Apocrypha), that is a fantastic resource for looking stuff up.

The third is the nicest - and has a real leather binding - and was given to me as a very generous gift by a fellow arfcommer!  

I can't make out the highlighted text.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually 4! If you count the Bible on CD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have OT in Hebrew & Greek
Have NT in Greek
Have Whole Bible in Spanish, French & German
Have CEV, KJVx2, NASBx2, NIVx2, LB, NLT, Jerusalem Bible, New World Translation, a translation for the deaf and a couple of others.

A translation for the deaf?

Did you forget a smiley or should I stop drinking?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
whoops
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have OT in Hebrew & Greek
Have NT in Greek
Have Whole Bible in Spanish, French & German
Have CEV, KJVx2, NASBx2, NIVx2, LB, NLT, Jerusalem Bible, New World Translation, a translation for the deaf and a couple of others.

A translation for the deaf?

Did you forget a smiley or should I stop drinking?

I assumed he meant to type "blind" and was talking about a Braille Bible - but now Im wondering what he meant as well.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#15]
One King James version in the house.. Damn good book.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#16]
This poll is full of fail.    

This poll is the equivalent of a poll that asks: “How many rounds of ammo do you have?” And then gives the options:

0-10

11-25

26-49

50-74

75-100

Not including the dozen or so versions on my computer, I have at least 50 bibles in several languages. I do read most of them. Some are so old that I don’t handle them much, simply because they are falling apart.

Oh, I am able to assure you, and am proof of the fact, that the number of bibles one owns has no correlation with one's holiness.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
0 and I don't plan on changing that number.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Two here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#19]

I take that back i own 1 of each of the following,

1. Torah
2. Koran
3. bible.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I was required to have one for a Theology class I took last year.

I decided it was easier to get the Wal-Mart special than to steal one from the local church.

Otherwise, my answer would be zero.

although.....  I'm not sure what I did with it, so the correct answer might still be zero.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got three.

One is the "field Bible" that I was issued in the Danish army (primarily NT).  I still have it, and it's a nice small convenient form.  Here's a pic:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=52717

The second is an annotated Oxford Bible (including Apocrypha), that is a fantastic resource for looking stuff up.

The third is the nicest - and has a real leather binding - and was given to me as a very generous gift by a fellow arfcommer!  

I can't see all of it, just a little...

"Thou shalt not ... goose ... dresser ... shall be put to death ..."

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
A KJ and a NIV, plus a family bible and at least one of the Gideon NT pocket versions.

Not particularly religious, but I've had reason to research certain passages at one time or another.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A KJ and a NIV, plus a family bible and at least one of the Gideon NT pocket versions.

Not particularly religious, but I've had reason to research certain passages at one time or another.

I can't believe you don't hit the three digit mark, living in Kansas.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This poll is full of fail.    

This poll is the equivalent of a poll that asks: “How many rounds of ammo do you have?” And then gives the options:

0-10

11-25

26-49

50-74

75-100

Not including the dozen or so versions on my computer, I have at least 50 bibles in several languages. I do read most of them. Some are so old that I don’t handle them much, simply because they are falling apart.

Oh, I am able to assure you, and am proof of the fact, that the number of bibles one owns has no correlation with one's holiness.

Oh I agree that the number of Bibles you have, does not relate to any Holiness what so ever!

WE ARE NOT HOLY!!

You don't even have need to have One Bible!

Just accept Jesus into your heart.

The rest just falls into place.

Edited: Grammar  

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got three.

Bastard!  

Just for you, wise_jake, I grabbed it and typed it in for you :

Vor Fader, du, som er i Himlene!  Helliget vorde dit navn; kommer dit rige; ske din vilje på jorden some den sker i Himmelen; giv os i dag vort daglige brød; og forlad os vor skyld, som også vi forlader vore skyldnere; og led os ikke ind i fristelse; men fri os fra det onde; thi dit er Riget og magten og æren i evighed! Amen.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I am very anti religious...

But with that being said I do have a couple. They were gifts from relatives. the relatives are gone, but their books remain. So I keep them and think of them.

Whether you agree or dont agree with whats in the book its still an important book for western culture.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Vor Fader, du, som er i Himlene!  Helliget vorde dit navn; kommer dit rige; ske din vilje på jorden some den sker i Himmelen; giv os i dag vort daglige brød; og forlad os vor skyld, som også vi forlader vore skyldnere; og led os ikke ind i fristelse; men fri os fra det onde; thi dit er Riget og magten og æren i evighed! Amen.  

The Lord's Prayer??
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Which version would be the one to buy ??

I like the New American Standard and the New King James.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Lord's Prayer??

Yes.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Lord's Prayer??

Yes.

In Dutch.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Lord's Prayer??

Yes.

In Dutch.

Them's fightin' words, pilgrim!!  
... you bastard!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Lord's Prayer??

Yes.

In Dutch.

Them's fightin' words, pilgrim!!  
... you bastard!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.   You seriously have the thickest skin on ARFCOM.  I can't believe how much flak you put up with.  *e-high five!*
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
ZERO

Bet you weren't expecting this many zero's, huh?

I was.

I've got something more than seven, but more ascribe to the theory "Fear the man with only one gun - he knows how to use it."

ONE well-worn Bible will do ya more good that a bookstore full of new ones.

Remember - religion kills - relationship with Jesus Christ brings life.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

But with that being said I do have a couple. They were gifts from relatives. the relatives are gone, but their books remain. So I keep them and think of them.

Whether you agree or dont agree with whats in the book its still an important book for western culture.

You may be "Anti-Religious"!

But your still a Christian. In your HEART.....and you know it!  

Or you would have thrown those Bible's in the garbage long ago.

Kind of makes you think that your throwing your life in the garbage at that point doesn't it?

That's why you have never let them "Book's" go!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

There is NO 'THE' Bible.

5sub

That's SORT OF true, but not really.

There IS a THE Bible - its God's Word. God's Words are more expansive than what we call "the Bible."

Yet, since God has definitively spoken, what He has spoken to man constitutes "THE Bible."

It can be debated what exactly that is, yet it does exist. (For clarities sake, its most widely regarded to be the 66 canonical books of teh Textus REceptus.)

The single clearest "Word" of God is the God-man Jesus Christ. Learn of Him - THE Bible is HISstory.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#36]

I own one copy of the King James version, I read it often (new testament) but I am an atheist, at least most of the time I am.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#37]
One Old Schofield KJV study Bible.

I don't agree with everything Schofield put in the margins, but its a good reference work, nonetheless.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.   You seriously have the thickest skin on ARFCOM.  I can't believe how much flak you put up with.  *e-high five!*

I know it's all in good fun.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#39]
several
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#40]
2 King James`, one is old and was my Grandmothers. I`m still finding places she had marked in it.
1 Self help addition
The Oxford campanion to the Bible, and a book of prayers.

And this 48 pg. pocket sized book with a few important scriptures and useful information a guy might could use if he found himself in a war. It has a calendar for January to June of 1945. My Grandfather had it with him in Germany during WWII.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm trying to get a sense of how holy the average ARFCOMMER is.  I've found this metric to be the simplest and most accurate over time.

You can own 100, but what good are they if you don't read them and live by them?  I have quite a few, but don't read them enough.  

So you're saying someone with 100 bibles isn't likely to be holier than the next guy?  

I don't know...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So you're saying someone with 100 bibles isn't likely to be holier than the next guy?  

Simply owning lots of guns doesn't make someone proficient with them.

And owning Bible doesn't make one holy.

Only God can make men holy. Living in accordance with the Bibles principles is evidence of holiness.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know.  There might be one around the house somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of makes you think that your throwing your life in the garbage at that point doesn't it?

I am not a Christian and I still keep them around.  I don't pray to Webster, but I still have a dictionary in the house, too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

ONE well-worn Bible will do ya more good that a bookstore full of new ones.

I would agree with you if we had established that bibles were NOT a talisman against a perceived or actual lack of holiness.  Quantity is clearly relevant and crucial with bibles.  

A bookstore full of them isn't holy... but it's an opportunity for a man who desires a deeper relationship with Christ and has the material means to make it a reality.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I would agree with you if we had established that bibles were NOT a talisman against a perceived or actual lack of holiness.  Quantity is clearly relevant and crucial with bibles.  

A bookstore full of them isn't holy... but it's an opportunity for a man who desires a deeper relationship with Christ and has the material means to make it a reality.

Well, again - it is God that makes men holy. Man CANNOT make himself holy, and therefore the number of Bibles around the house is irrelevant.

And a SINGLE well worn Bible is every bit as good as a hundred, since one Bible reveals the God who makes men holy every bit as much as 100 Bibles do.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quantity is clearly relevant and crucial with bibles.  

Why? They nearly all say the same thing, and even if you go Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox/Syrian/et al you're only gonna be off a couple books here and there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got three.

Bastard!  

Just for you, wise_jake, I grabbed it and typed it in for you :

The Lord's Prayer, huh?

I would've figured it was some kick-ass, kill-'em-all-let-God-sort-'em-out passage (or derivative catechism) that somehow toed in with some "olde worlde" Danish warrior's prayer/mantra.

Thanks for taking the time to type it out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simply owning lots of guns doesn't make someone proficient with them.

And owning Bible doesn't make one holy.

Only God can make men holy. Living in accordance with the Bibles principles is evidence of holiness.

Well put..
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not a Christian and I still keep them around.  I don't pray to Webster, but I still have a dictionary in the house, too.

+1

You keep a Websters around when you need to find the definition of a word.

And ambiguously you keep "THEM" around.

When someday maybe, you may need to look into "THEM", for the definition of your life.

My thoughts......  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top