Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a woodstove insert and never look back
View Quote

This.  With most fireplaces, most of the heat is lost up the chimney.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Wow, that is gorgeous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The rest of the house is cooling off because the fire is getting the temp high enough to prevent the thermostat from kicking on, and the fireplace isn't heating the rest of the house as effectively.

Get an insert, or better yet, one of these.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/forester1/HouseRxn/DSC_2703.jpg

That looks familiar...

<a href="http://s240.photobucket.com/user/ZX2_R/media/GOPR0014.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/ZX2_R/GOPR0014.jpg</a>
It was 85 in my house the night before last.  Fuck the cold.

Wow, that is gorgeous.

This is what used to be there.

I had the same problem you do.  The open fireplace does nothing for heat.  We replaced it with the Encore stove about two years ago.  My $400 December electric bill was less than half both years since.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Never heard of priming. Interesting.

I just put a couple of logs, maybe a tad bit of charcoal, and some twigs. Then soak it with charcoal starter.

Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I just put a couple of logs, maybe a tad bit of charcoal, and some twigs. Then soak it with charcoal starter.

Works like a charm.
View Quote

Priming isn't required on a well designed & installed chimney that has the proper draft...

On a good system, if you open the damper air should immediately being drafting up the chimney.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#5]
get a wood stove. Try not to get one the requires electric.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They all have one thing in common that I don't have......a complete enclosure. Damn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They all have one thing in common that I don't have......a complete enclosure. Damn.

Most of them have a long, convoluted chimney path that makes several passes through the masonry for maximum heat extraction - Which brings up the obvious question: How do you clean the chimney?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah. fireplaces are great for romance, and watching a fire, but suck at heating.

a wood burning insert will REALLY, make a huge difference. as far as heating the house. but you will lose the fire watching aspect.   i kind of doubt you want to lose the watching the fire aspect, so just suck it up and enjoy your fire and the oddities that surround it.

nice fireplace though. !

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The rest of the house is cooling off because the fire is getting the temp high enough to prevent the thermostat from kicking on, and the fireplace isn't heating the rest of the house as effectively.

Get an insert, or better yet, one of these.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/forester1/HouseRxn/DSC_2703.jpg
View Quote

is that a fireplace on the other side of that wall???

i am considering doing the same thing. building a fireplace in the center of the house, basement up. then using a wood stove like yours in the basement, and another in the kitchen, / or a antique cooking wood stove, and use the fireplace in the living room.

also...... what kind of wood burner is that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most of them have a long, convoluted chimney path that makes several passes through the masonry for maximum heat extraction - Which brings up the obvious question: How do you clean the chimney?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hire a professional. He gives me a discount during the summer. Cost about $125.00. Money well spent.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:52:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which will be about 1 million times more efficient than your open hearth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which will be about 1 million times more efficient than your open hearth.

This!
My folks still live in their old, uninsulated house.
We used to get the fireplace going so hard you could HEAR the air rushing thru/around  the old, single pane, wood framed windows in the rest of the house.
Could damn near fly a kite in the living room!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lifetime warranty=buy once cry once.

I have that insert in an unfinished, soon to be finished basement and when its running it keeps both floors (3600sqft) warm. I do get my wood free from my lot so thats a factor.

Last few years we averaged +-500 gal of oil for heat and hot water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starting at $3,273

I have that insert in an unfinished, soon to be finished basement and when its running it keeps both floors (3600sqft) warm. I do get my wood free from my lot so thats a factor.

people bitch about  3-4 grand for something to make their life better but just wait till you see the "look what toys I bought with my tax refund" posts coming up.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A woodstove in your basement is the most efficient.
View Quote

I'm typing this from an Amish built house, wood furnace in basement.(no duct work, floor vents)
Used to have to get basement to 100F, to get first floor to 75-80F to get upstairs/bedrooms to60-65F.

Added a woodstove to first floor and MUCH better.

ETA: a $50, Craigslist woodstove. Doesn't need to cost $3-5K, but I spent another $1200-1500 on building a chase, SS Duravent, stone, etc
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hire a professional. He gives me a discount during the summer. Cost about $125.00. Money well spent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. Like I mentioned in the OP my chimney is about 30 ft so they came out with some different contraptions and took about 2 hours cleaning the thing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

people bitch about  3-4 grand for something to make their life better but just wait till you see the "look what toys I bought with my tax refund" posts coming up.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starting at $3,273

That's a legit post. Sadly, mine will be, "here's part of the deck, and now the other dog is off leash trained." Both will make happier, but not exactly toys.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Some fireplace grates are to low..... Try raising it with a brick under each foot.... It's surprising what 2-3"s will do......
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone with a wood stove have a cold air inlet?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#18]

I am a Chimney Sweep by trade.

A traditional masonry fireplace is about 25% efficient.

In comparison, wood stoves today are mostly in the 65-88% range.

No comparison.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No comparison.

View Quote

Your thoughts on a cold air intake for a wood stove?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

+1

Wood stove inserts these days are extremely efficient.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No comparison.

View Quote

Your thoughts on those silicone chimney toppers that clamp down when not in use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starting at $3,273

Not all of us can drop that kind of coin without blinking and tax refund well probably put a new roof on the house.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Priming isn't required on a well designed & installed chimney that has the proper draft...

On a good system, if you open the damper air should immediately being drafting up the chimney.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works like a charm.

And liquid accelerants are a major NO-NO! on a fireplace.

Cold air can easily cause the vapors to settle and 'spill' out around your feet.  Lighting it will cause a flash over at least, and an explosion if you are not lucky.

Never use a liquid starter on a fireplace.

If you need something to help light a fire try this:

1 large TBSP lard
1 paper towel

Place the lard on the towel, roll it to be shaped like a cigar.  Light one end.  The oil will give you a safe fuel source and the paper towel provides a 'wick' to hold the flame.

I've been using a fireplace for 20 years.  I burn 6-8 cords per winter.

TRG
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top