Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You've been here 16 years. 16.
View Quote
Actually more like 17 years back to 2000.
While I've shot a lot of AR and other semi-auto rifles I've never been a machine gunner and I am not a metallurgist.   I know the heat damages the barrel but I was interested in the mechanics of how barrel becomes damaged from heat.  Watching at video of an M-16 shooting many rounds until it blows the barrel explains a lot.  
In the video of the MG42 I believe they said they usually carried 4 spare barrels and would normally change the barrel every 120 rounds or something like that.  The whole concept was to switch/rotate the barrel frequently to not allow the barrel to get too hot as it would damage the barrel and also cause malfunctions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
physics man... seriously
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
  Heat makes metal soft and stuff, least that's what I heard.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the barrel too hot and keep firing and soon you will be shooting a smooth bore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad is a combat vet from Korea.  He said you could hear the bullets tumbling whenever a machine gunner got excited and quit letting the barrel cool down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My dad is a combat vet from Korea.  He said you could hear the bullets tumbling whenever a machine gunner got excited and quit letting the barrel cool down.
View Quote
Sounds more like incoming ricochets
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
It catches on fire.

That's why.

ETA- At the end of the vid, you notice we were having trouble getting the bolt to cycle on the tan magazine.  The barrel had bent far enough that the gas piston was not lining up with the gas block anymore.  Our best guess is that the brake put enough downward force on the barrel to bend it without actually destroying the barrel.

Burning an Ak at Knob Creek October 2015
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
  Heat makes metal soft and stuff, least that's what I heard.
View Quote
Ever watched a blacksmith work wrought iron?

Steel behaves the exact same way.

At well below the actual melting point the steel is like taffy.

Hammer or form to desired shape.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
A long time ago in a place far far away we would take our tanks for gunnery practice . We never changed out the coaxial Barrel during a run. After it was over, it was a bitch to get all the jacket fowling off the crown of the barrel.
We would usually spin them in sand to clean it off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#12]
A long time ago in a place far far away we would take our tanks for gunnery practice . We never changed out the coaxial Barrel during a run. After it was one it was a bitch to get all the jacket fowling off the crown of the barrel.
We would usually spin them in sand to clean it off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While I've shot a lot of AR and other semi-auto rifles I've never been a machine gunner and I am not a metallurgist.   I know the heat damages the barrel but I was interested in the mechanics of how barrel becomes damaged from heat.  Watching at video of an M-16 shooting many rounds until it blows the barrel explains a lot.  
In the video of the MG42 I believe they said they usually carried 4 spare barrels and would normally change the barrel every 120 rounds or something like that.  The whole concept was to switch/rotate the barrel frequently to not allow the barrel to get too hot as it would damage the barrel and also cause malfunctions.    
View Quote
Nobody knows the answer to your question, but they all think it's a dumb question.

welcome to arf GD
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes
yes
 and see above. 

It it takes more than 200 rounds at cyclic rate to damage the barrel.

When in doubt, go cyclic!  
View Quote
My exact sentiments.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#15]
its fun watching tracers veer off course
and light cigarettes off the barrel
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If I remember right, those German barrels are rifled steel, which is different from the M60, M2 and later MG's have stellite liners and are not going to be affected the same.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I remember right, those German barrels are rifled steel, which is different from the M60, M2 and later MG's have stellite liners and are not going to be affected the same.
View Quote
The two you mentioned are the only American Barrels with refractory lining.   The M240 and m249 are just plain chrome lined steel.

USO makes a Stellite lined m240 barrel for foreign/commercial sales, and the Army has several programs to make a refractory lined M240 barrel, as well as improved M2 barrels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just exactly how does the machines gun barrel get shot out or damaged from prolonged shooting?
View Quote
Your next sentence says:

I know it gets very hot and heat damages metal but how exactly does it damage the barrel?
View Quote
Hot metal looses strength and gets flexible. Hot enough it will turn into a liquid or gas.

Get a barrel hot enough and the surface of the bore in front of the chambers just gets vaporized and eroded away by the high temperature gas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's why an super accurate barrel is called 'A Sweet Shooter'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well... the MG42 is an old machine gun and back then the Germans added a high chocolate content to the chemical make-up of the steel and, well, you know what happens to a chocolate bar when you keep it in your pocket too long...
Recent advancements in candy coating technology protects the chocolate in the steel from melting away under the heat produced by longer sustained rates of fire... so it's not as much of a concern now.
That's why an super accurate barrel is called 'A Sweet Shooter'.
It's also why original MG42 barrels are ultra rare. GIs traded them to some willing Fraulein for some nookie.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The two you mentioned are the only American Barrels with refractory lining.   The M240 and m249 are just plain chrome lined steel.

USO makes a Stellite lined m240 barrel for foreign/commercial sales, and the Army has several programs to make a refractory lined M240 barrel, as well as improved M2 barrels.
View Quote
I was reading something about the M249 and MK46 were having weight reduction testing with stellite barrels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

School demonstration at a WWII day recently.  I'm the gunner...

Doctrine was to swap barrels every 250 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Can I use two worn-out MG barrels to dowse water?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can I use two worn-out MG barrels to dowse water?
View Quote
only the dark white ones...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Die, motherfucker, die...........Die, motherfucker, die..........Die, motherfucker, die..........
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Does the bore get smaller as the barrel expands from heat?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Krauts used turtles to cool their MG42 barrels, they ran out of turtles and lost the war.
View Quote
Poor little turtles.
I bet they liked the desert, but hated the Russian Front.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Die, motherfucker, die...........Die, motherfucker, die..........Die, motherfucker, die..........
View Quote
Die, mutter fucka die.... die, mutter fucka die...

.....you forgot, we're talking about a GERMAN MG42.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Doing a KGKT reweld right now and damn if it doesnt have the thickest .30 cal barrel I have ever seen. 1.5 inches in diameter Would like to see how many belts it takes to damage this guy.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well... the MG42 is an old machine gun and back then the Germans added a high chocolate content to the chemical make-up of the steel and, well, you know what happens to a chocolate bar when you keep it in your pocket too long...
Recent advancements in candy coating technology protects the chocolate in the steel from melting away under the heat produced by longer sustained rates of fire... so it's not as much of a concern now.
View Quote
hence, the M&Machinegun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ahh yes, the wonderful "M&M/MARS" coating process. Wonderful stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#31]
how is riffle formed?  How barl get damage? They need to do way instain barl> who kill thier barls. becuse these barl cant frigth back?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
how is riffle formed?  How barl get damage? They need to do way instain barl> who kill thier barls. becuse these barl cant frigth back?
View Quote
This guy...    
...he gets it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#33]
-Be me
-First deployment
-Private medic with infantry platoon.
-Camping with guns, waiting for the terrorists to attack.
-Squad leader tells saw gunner, "test fire your SAW, 6-9 round burst"
-BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT
-Squad leader "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!!!"
-Saw Gunner "I thought you said test fire, 69 round burst"
-Face Palm
-Laughing
-Hazing
-Good times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Then you can shoot around corners!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel under load starts to bend when it is not all that hot.

At an intense red glow in the middle of a 36 inch long 1/2 inch diameter drill rod and it will

bend to 90 degrees under its own weight.

Rifling?

We don't need no damn rifling.
Then you can shoot around corners!
Germans did that for their tankers and made the barrels out of ice.

IIRC it was strawberry flavor so they had something cool to suck on if it got hot inside the tank.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1919A4 had stellite lined barrels.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
When metal gets red hot and you hit it with a hammer. What happens?

So your barrel gets red hot, and a bullet is squeezed through the red hot rifling at a high rate of speed? What happens to the rifling?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
So did the A6.  The A6 barrels were actually stellite lined first right at the end of WWII.  They didn't start making lined A4 barrels until the 50s.

But I didn't mention them since they've been long retired.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I know from personal experience that blanks, when fired cyclic, will melt a bfa to a 240 barrel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Best M60 Video - Continuous Fire
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So did the A6.  The A6 barrels were actually stellite lined first right at the end of WWII.  They didn't start making lined A4 barrels until the 50s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only knew this as I am going to an auction that has a couple dozen 1919 barrels.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top