Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In case you didn't recall, we here in the Northeast were some of the main portals for immigrants in the last century. We survived, even if anti-immigrant hysteria created things like the Sullivan laws here in NYS. You'll survive too, if you don't let your anti-immigrant hysteria eat you alive.

If you don't like the type of service you get in your area fast food joints, complain to the management there, not someone on an anonymous internet message board who can't do anything about it.

well, congratulations. How did you like it? How did you enjoy them refusing to learn the language, and all the local businesses catering to their home country's language? Pretty cool huh?

Now I realize that just because these radio stations play spanish doesn't necessarily mean they encourage illegal immigration. But it definitely gives them one more reason to not learn our language. I don't mind legal immigration at all, it is what made America what it is today. My problem is companies catering to people that refuse to speak our native language to a point that I can't understand what anyone is saying at a restaurant up the street where I have lived almost all of my life. The management doesn't give a fuck, I have complained.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Umm, I know all about free markets and how they work.  I don't blame the private companies for making radio shows that cater to Spanish speakers.  As you said, that is the free market in action and the only thing a company is truly responsible for is its value to the shareholders.  I just find it sad that it is so profitable for them to cater to Spanish speakers, in other words, it's sad that the market conditions even exist for private companies to find it profitable to forgo english.

Every immigrant group that has come to this country has set up media outlets to serve the communication and news needs of first generation immigrants in their own language.. many of those communities still have their own media outlets still performing that task. I am not worried by that. Why is anyone else? I strongly suspect that many of you complainers have never been around sizeable immigrant communities other than the hispanics, and you also have no sense of the trends of immigrant communities in the past, so you freak out at anyone who isn't obviously a WASP.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Actually, it can go either way.  So much for your pitiful retort.  And no, I would not be wrong.  Are you going to say that everyone who speaks Spanish in this country is an illegal alien?  Because that's basically what you might as well be doing.  I'm a white male from Mississippi, and I've at least got sense enough to know that all you are doing is being a racist bigot.  Go back to the Klan rally bud.

ETA - The "more wrong" thing cracked me up after you edited and put it in there.

Arg! He probably isn't racist...

He might be ethnocentric though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see why you think all Spanish speaking radio stations are illegal alien radio stations..  That's just a dumbass thing to do.  Sorry.

Not it isn't.

Saying it's a dumbass thing to do, is a dumb ass thing to say.

So since some of you liberals think this ok, how about if all radio and tv was in spanish? Would that then be too much, or would that be fine too?

Yes it is a "dumb ass" thing to say.  Your proximity to mexico justifies marketing to a large Spanish-speaking populace.  And not all TV or radio is in Spanish so your logic is flawed.  The fact that some illegal aliens understand the language and enjoy the music is secondary.  Illegals probably also drink lots of beer, but you wouldn't bitch at beer companies for them marketing to Hispanics.

Quoted:
Most of the FM radio stations in So Cal have turned to Spanish programming. What's even worse, having direct TV, many of the channels are spanish as well. What can't the "brown" folk in the US simply adopt our language instead of making us adopt theirs?

It's not about the "brown" folk adopting "our" language.  It's about them being able to enjoy their culture in a language that is familiar to them.  It does absolutely no harm to you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In case you didn't recall, we here in the Northeast were some of the main portals for immigrants in the last century. We survived, even if anti-immigrant hysteria created things like the Sullivan laws here in NYS. You'll survive too, if you don't let your anti-immigrant hysteria eat you alive.

If you don't like the type of service you get in your area fast food joints, complain to the management there, not someone on an anonymous internet message board who can't do anything about it.

well, congratulations. How did you like it? How did you enjoy them refusing to learn the language, and all the local businesses catering to their home country's language? Pretty cool huh?

Now I realize that just because these radio stations play spanish doesn't necessarily mean they encourage illegal immigration. But it definitely gives them one more reason to not learn our language. I don't mind legal immigration at all, it is what made America what it is today. My problem is companies catering to people that refuse to speak our native language to a point that I can't understand what anyone is saying at a restaurant up the street where I have lived almost all of my life. The management doesn't give a fuck, I have complained.

I have lived on the TX/Mexico border for over 90% of my life, and I have yet to encounter a business of any kind stateside that couldn't cater to me in English.

That said, I don't necessarily doubt that this happened to you.  I, too, would be mad at a business that didn't hire English speaking employees because let's face it -- most people in this country speak English.  I can hate the business for their alienation of the majority, but I won't hate the employee not being able to speak English.  If they can survive on their own and never speak a word of English, so be it, it makes no difference to me.  I think they'd find it beneficial to learn, but I will not despise them if they don't.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I am currently learning Spanish and I think it's cool that we have a couple Spanish stations in the Seattle area.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The new American flag.

w00t!

www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_hail.gif

flagspot.net/images/m/mx.gif

You just took away any vestige of a valid argument from yourself and replaced it with sheer foolishness.

And to compare our country to that third-world shithole that is Mexico...you sir, are a bigot and an asshole.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, it can go either way.  So much for your pitiful retort.  And no, I would not be wrong.  Are you going to say that everyone who speaks Spanish in this country is an illegal alien?  Because that's basically what you might as well be doing.  I'm a white male from Mississippi, and I've at least got sense enough to know that all you are doing is being a racist bigot.  Go back to the Klan rally bud.

ETA - The "more wrong" thing cracked me up after you edited and put it in there.

Arg! He probably isn't racist...

He might be ethnocentric though.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have lived on the TX/Mexico border for over 90% of my life, and I have yet to encounter a business of any kind stateside that couldn't cater to me in English.

That said, I don't necessarily doubt that this happened to you.  I, too, would be mad at a business that didn't hire English speaking employees because let's face it -- most people in this country speak English.  I can hate the business for their alienation of the majority, but I won't hate the employee not being able to speak English.  If they can survive on their own and never speak a word of English, so be it, it makes no difference to me.  I think they'd find it beneficial to learn, but I will not despise them if they don't.

Ditto, I've lived in Texas for the past 20 years of my life and have never encountered a place where I wasn't able to communicate in english, hell, I've been to taco stands and taco shops that catered to me in english.  I fail to see the problem.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
san antonio = illegal bullshit radio.  our rock station is good, but one of our two rap stations turned into a tejano station, and the other plays more tejano then anything else.  on top of that, we have several spanish speaking stations.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
To say that Spanish music is illegal alien music is like saying islamic hymns are terrorist hymns.  It just reeks of bigotry.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
san antonio = illegal bullshit radio.  our rock station is good, but one of our two rap stations turned into a tejano station, and the other plays more tejano then anything else.  on top of that, we have several spanish speaking stations.  

Um, our rock station sucks and caters to 15-year-old posers that live at Hot Topic and think yelling at their mom is cool.  

Who's to say that illegals aren't enjoying music in English?  I enjoy listening to music that I can't understand (German, Hindi, etc.) because I like how it sounds.  Let's see, by your rationale, we should tell all the rock stations to stop playing Rammstein then.  

I don't see why Spanish-speaking stations offend you so.  Well, yeah I do, because you apparently like to generalize...

Besides, I've had a lot of people try to teach me how to dance cumbias, and guess what?  They were all legitimate American citizens.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The Clear Channel effect has turned most of my local station into bastions of mindless mainstream drivel. To be fair, Clear Channel and their few remaining competitors didn't really invent the brainless craprock format. They just automated the process and turned it into a national product with a set formula. I listen to NPR news in the morning and sometimes listen to Limbaugh if he has anything interesting to say. I stopped listening to music on the radio more than a decade ago.

The local AM talk station has started airing Spanish ads during daylight hours. I usually turn the radio off for  the day if I hear one. I am not a Mexican. If they want to reach a Spanish speaking audience they should start a Spanish language station.

I remember listening to a small station in rural Virginia when I was a teenager. I could barely get the signal at a specific time each night. There was a bluegrass show every Friday at 8:30pm. My reception held out for ~30 minutes and then crapped out for some reason. It was a great radio show. Lots of the talent was local musicians from the Virginia/West Virginia area of the coast. I'll bet that station has long since been snatched up by a mega corp.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Clear Channel effect has turned most of my local station into bastions of mindless mainstream drivel. To be fair, Clear Channel and their few remaining competitors didn't really invent the brainless craprock format. They just automated the process and turned it into a national product with a set formula. I listen to NPR news in the morning and sometimes listen to Limbaugh if he has anything interesting to say. I stopped listening to music on the radio more than a decade ago.

The local AM talk station has started airing Spanish ads during daylight hours. I usually turn the radio off for  the day if I hear one. I am not a Mexican. If they want to reach a Spanish speaking audience they should start a Spanish language station.

I remember listening to a small station in rural Virginia when I was a teenager. I could barely get the signal at a specific time each night. There was a bluegrass show every Friday at 8:30pm. My reception held out for ~30 minutes and then crapped out for some reason. It was a great radio show. Lots of the talent was local musicians from the Virginia/West Virginia area of the coast. I'll bet that station has long since been snatched up by a mega corp.

One of the oldies stations in Chicago-that I listened to all the time-got snatched up by Jack FM a few months ago.  That crap, and Clear Channel are killing radio.  

I seem to remember reading an article in Speech Class last semester about Clear Channel not even allowing a distaster/emergency alert to be played.  

Satelite-it's slowly putting and end to broadcast radio as we speak.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
The number one station in Dallas right now is tejano and it beat out an urban dance station to get there. Corporate radio will only play what makes money these days. When the listeners of those formats stop spending money with the advertisers the format will go away. That is why there are so few rock stations anymore......well plus the fact that most of what passes for rock these days suck. For those who like it 15 year old boys don't buy a lot of beer, cars, concert tickets, or go to clubs and restaurants. Sad but true.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
First, I care because 25% of the fucking radio stations in AZ are Spanish shit, which is still in the U.S. in case you haven't seen an atlas recently, so there's no excuse in this being the case.

So people who emigrate to the US from Mexico immediately
drop all preference for Los Whatever and suddenly start
being hardcore Wallflower fans?

Quoted:
I don't need a hint dumb ass, of course I don't listen to the shit.

Our proximity to Mexico does not justify this shit.

You obviously need a clue, because if there was not a
market for the stations, there would be no stations. So
THAT justifies this shit. Capitalism is funny like
that. Don't like it: move to North Dakota.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
99.1 HFS rock/alternative just switched to a spanish station right in the middle of the morning several months ago.

No warning.

Morning talk show ended, and mexican music started.

The switch was at 12 noon.
I was listening to 99.1 - some old greenday.
Shut off my car, walked into wawa, and grabbed some lunch.
Walked outside, turned the car back on - spanish gibberish.
I was pissed - even though 98 rock is more my thing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
well, it's good hearing all of you from the north east weighing in with your beliefs of how the states in the southwest should feel about these illegals. Let me know how tolerable you are when you can't order a simple meal at McDonalds because NOBODY working there speaks english.

what, you think the people working in McDonalds up here speak english?    
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#20]
It is of great concern to me that so many spanish language radio stations are popping up. To combat this, I suggest taking your radio off of the FM band and listening to Michael Savage on AM radio. He's the lone voice of truth and sanity in an ever-growing cesspool of liberalism that threatens to destroy America.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Satelite-it's slowly putting and end to broadcast radio as we speak.  

Indeed. But it saddens me that real radio has fallen so far in quality that folks are willing to pay for access to a decent station or two. I'm normally loathe to advocate any sort of government regulation, but air waves are a finite resource and I think the FCC did a much better job in years past. Heck, if it was up to me nobody would be able to own more than a few stations in every state.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Let's see...

88.5: WAMU, American University NPR
90.1: WCSP, C-SPAN
90.9: WETA, PBS
92.7: WBZS, Spanish Rap
93.3: WFLS, Whiny country music
93.9: WKYS, Rap
94.3: WPLS, Spanish Ay-yi-yi-yi Mariachi music
94.7: WARW, "The Arrow" classic rock
95.5: WPGC, Rap
97.1: WASH, Soft rock
98.7: WMZQ, Really whiny country
99.1: WHFS, El Zol, Spanish (Formerly HFS, contemporary, held the yearly HFStival)
99.5: WIHT, Pop
100.3: WBIG, "Oldies 100," oldies
101.1: WWDC, "DC101" Contemporary rock
103.5: WGMS, Classical
103.9/104.1: WWVZ/WWZZ, "Z104" Pop-rock
105.9: WJZ,: "Smooth Jazz" Saxaphone music (It's pretty good, but jazz it ain't)
106.7: WJFK, Talk
107.3: WRQX, "Mix 107.3" Pop-rock
107.7: WTOP, News/talk

As far as AM goes, I only listen to 590: WTNT (Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham, G-Man, Don Imus) and occasionally 630: WMAL (Rush and Sean as well as Dr. Laura and Chris Core, a local talent)
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Between Infinity and Clear Channel (and more the latter), it won't be long before the ONLY language being broadcast on-air will be Spanish.  English listeners are being driven to satellite radio in droves, even those bitter about having to pay for radio (like myself).

Remember that the reason for this crap is *primarly* illegal immigration.  6+% of our entire country is made up of ILLEGAL immigrants from Mexico or Central/South America, and that doesn't include the 17% or so of the LEGAL immigrants from these countries that are helping them stay here.

And before you start, I'm half Mexican, with grandparents that immigrated here in the 1920s.  My grandparents INSISTED that their children speak ENGLISH and that they assimilate the culture of their new country.  The purposeful resistance to assimilation is the main problem we are facing.

-Troy

Are you insinuating that the entire legal immigrant population is involved in some plot to keep illegals in?  Sounds contrary to my own grandparents' view of illegal aliens, and I'm sure it would be contrary to your grandparents'.

I think you are attributing the rise in Spanish radio to illegal immigration way too much.  How much commerce do you think they actually contribute to these stations, by being benefactors, or supporting advertisers?  What about the fact that the endogenous Hispanic population in the U.S. is the largest growing of all minority groups?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Lots of liberal shit in here I see.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#26]
THERE SHOULD BE NO SPANISH OR OTHER LANGUAGE STATIONS IN THIS COUNTRY. PERIOD. I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF OUR COUNTRY BEING TAKEN OVER BY THE FUCKING ILLEGALS AND I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF BEING CALLED A RACIST WHEN I SPEAK THE TRUTH.

THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY HAD BETTER WAKE UP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
THERE SHOULD BE NO SPANISH OR OTHER LANGUAGE STATIONS IN THIS COUNTRY. PERIOD. I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF OUR COUNTRY BEING TAKEN OVER BY THE FUCKING ILLEGALS AND I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF BEING CALLED A RACIST WHEN I SPEAK THE TRUTH.

1. All Caps is not cool.

2. Give me a good reason why there shouldn't be radio stations in foreign languages.

3. What is it we're supposed to wake up from?  We acknowledge a problem, we have voiced ourselves, and still our government refuses to lock down the border or effect a crackdown.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. All Caps is not cool.  Whabulance on the way

2. Give me a good reason why there shouldn't be radio stations in foreign languages.

3. What is it we're supposed to wake up from?  We acknowledge a problem, we have voiced ourselves, and still our government refuses to lock down the border or effect a crackdown.  So in other words, time to throw in the towel.  Typical.  I assume this'll be your reponse to more gun control

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Misery, All I said was we know what the problem is, and that we are aware of it.  Those of us who give a shit are writing our congressmen to try to convince an adamant government that a lockdown is what we want.  How was that, in any way, indicative of throwing in a towel or surrendering in any way?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Just sounded like you've given up on the situation.  It's working IMO, but unitl GWB is out of office, nothing big will happen.  We need a President who doesn't cater to them because he views them as family, one of which his brother is married to.  It pisses me off to no end that addressing the problem means someone is a racist.  Keep the pressue on these assholes in the government and someday, hopefully soon, it will be headed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#31]
#1 Sorry for the all caps.

#2 This is America. We speak English.

#3 There are many things every American needs to do when coming in contact with someone who doesn't speak English. Tell them to speak English as this is America. Don't give an inch on this. Don't feel sorry for them. Tell them it will only get worse if they don't learn to speak our language.

Don't patronize the companies that allow the illegals to work for them. Write letters, take out ads in the papers, call on your elected officials and tell them what is going on in your community.

Take Lowes for example. I went there a few months back and beneath all the English signs, they had spanish signs. THIS IS BULLSHIT. THIS IS AMERICA.

Were being forced to adopt to them and I for one am sick as hell of it. I avoid Lowes now. Shame on them and FUCK THEM. As long as everyone allows this to happen, then nothing will change.

We as a nation are quickly losing our culture and our way of life. One person can't do it alone but if we all stick together and do what is right, we will prevail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Just sounded like you've given up on the situation.  It's working IMO, but unitl GWB is out of office, nothing big will happen.  We need a President who doesn't cater to them because he views them as family, one of which his brother is married to.  It pisses me off to no end that addressing the problem means someone is a racist.  Keep the pressue on these assholes in the government and someday, hopefully soon, it will be headed in the right direction.

We're on the same page here, I think.  Just because I support foreign lang. radio should not in any way or form insinuate that I have a blind eye toward the illegal problem.  I try not to come down too hard on concerned citizens, except when they start "feeling" instead of "reasoning", I'm sure you understand.

Also, I wasn't aware that ol' Jeb was married to an illegal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
#2 This is America. We speak English.

#3 There are many things every American needs to do when coming in contact with someone who doesn't speak English. Tell them to speak English as this is America. Don't give an inch on this. Don't feel sorry for them. Tell them it will only get worse if they don't learn to speak or language.

Don't patronize the companies that allow the illegals to work for them. Write letters, take out ads in the papers, call on your elected officials and tell them what is going on in your community.

Take Lowes for example. I went there a few months back and beneath all the English signs, they had spanish signs. THIS IS BULLSHIT. THIS IS AMERICA.

Were being forced to adopt to them and I for one am sick as hell of it. I avoid Lowes now. Shame on them and FUCK THEM. As long as everyone allows this to happen, then nothing will change.

We as a nation are quickly losing our culture and our way of life. One person can't do it alone but if we all stick together and do what is right, we will prevail.

Allow me to retort first that America is a nation built upon many.  Many people, many views, many cultures (E Pluribus, Unum).  I have to disagree with you that we are losing any American culture IN SPITE OF the illegal immigration problem.  In your defense, however, I do agree that illegal immigration is a scourge on our economy and a source of crime (not only in the illegal immigration itself, but in other ways such as violent crime, drug trade, etc.)

I think a lot of my frustration stems from the fact that many people do not effectively differentiate between legal, legitimate, Spanish-speaking American citizens and illegal aliens.  We don't have an official language.  We are afforded the freedom to speak whatever language we please, to whomever we please.  I will reiterate -- if someone can make a living in America speaking nothing but Spanish, or Italian, or Chinese, or whatever, then that is their business and I have no problem and certainly no say in that.  I would opine that they would be better off learning the language of the majority, but who says they have to?

You say that Lowe's puts up signs in Spanish.  Is this evidence for them hiring illegal aliens, or is it just a marketing strategy to those whose primary (or only ) language is Spanish?  If that's all you got against them, I'd say your frustration is ill-conceived.

With all that in mind, I do believe that most of us here can agree that we'd have a lot less to worry about if our government simply locked down our border.  We don't need ANY more illegal immigration, period.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:48:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
We're on the same page here, I think.  Just because I support foreign lang. radio should not in any way or form insinuate that I have a blind eye toward the illegal problem.  I try not to come down too hard on concerned citizens, except when they start "feeling" instead of "reasoning", I'm sure you understand.

+1

Illegal immigration is this country's number one problem.
We should be concentrating on the root cause here, not
bitching about the ancellary crap like radio stations and
if the McDonalds employee "no hablo english."
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I personally like Merenque and Salsa music.  I also happen to like some latin pop music (Laura Pausini, Gloria Estefan, Mana, etc).  I even like a little Gaita Zuliana now and then.

If I could find a local station that played this kind of music, you bet I'd listen to it.  Why not?  It's a matter of personal taste, not legal status.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I could do this every hour of every day..and STILL no one would notice.
Yes I am a one trick pony and can't help myself!

This may help...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If the show fits, wear it. If some person with the funds wants to set up a radio station, a TV station, a newspaper, whatever, in a foreign language, and the markets there to support it, then they should be free to do so without closed minded people like you telling them how to conduct their business.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your post makes no sense in relation to my post. If you are referring to the previous generations of immigrants, the language differences were usually resolved by the first American-born generation adopting English. Take my in-laws for example. My wifes grandmother came over from Italy, and spoke almost no English right up to the day she died. My in-laws themselves are fluent in Italian because thats what was spoken around the house when they were growing up, but other than one trip back to Italy 20 years ago have never used it in years. My wife and my kids know  a few phrases in Italian but thats it. The same thing will happen in current and future immigrant groups.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top