Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Oh well, may as well just give up then, huh?
God, I am certainly grateful that people like you weren't around in 1941.  Well, actually I do know that there were people like you even then, but thankfully they didn't have political pull.
View Quote

Define the enemy.  Define terrorism.

Japan was a nation, not some kind of nebulous concept with an ever-changing and all-inclusive definition.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Define the enemy.  Define terrorism.
View Quote

Terrorism is attacks on non-governmental civilian targets by extra-governmental groups in order to cause terror and unrest among the civilian population and destabilize the sitting government.
The enemy are radical Islamic terrorist organizations who employ such tactics (including Hamas, Al Quaeda, and Abu Sayaff) and those states which give aid and comfort to them.
Any more questions?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think that anybody who seriously believes that any president is capable of ending world "terrorism" has some denial problems.
View Quote

It's probably not possible to end ALL terrorist acts, because new terrorists will come to be...but it certainly IS possible to end STATE-SPONSORED, ORGANIZED and FINANCED terror.  Which is what the government is currently trying to do.
But anyone with half a brain and a modicum of common sense would already know that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Terrorism is attacks on non-governmental civilian targets by extra-governmental groups in order to cause terror and unrest among the civilian population and destabilize the sitting government.
View Quote

Nice definition.  Check into the history of the Civil War, I think you'll find quite a bit of that occuring on both sides.

The enemy are radical Islamic terrorist organizations who employ such tactics (including Hamas, Al Quaeda, and Abu Sayaff) and those states which give aid and comfort to them.
Any more questions?  
View Quote

And when (more like "if") you destroy these groups?  Are you going to destroy the groups that arise after them?  And the groups that arise after them?  And the groups that arise after them?

It's not a war.  Victory nor defeat can ever be declared when you are fighting a shadow that has thousands of names and millions of children.

I think you are in a serious state of "denial" if you honestly believe that these groups are going to be destroyed.  The Israelis have been trying to destroy Hamas and the PLO for decades.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice definition.  Check into the history of the Civil War, I think you'll find quite a bit of that occuring on both sides.
View Quote

Actually a very good argument could be made that both sides in the Bleeding Kansas border war prior to the Civil War were terrorists.

And when (more like "if") you destroy these groups?  Are you going to destroy the groups that arise after them?  And the groups that arise after them?  And the groups that arise after them?
View Quote

Well...yeah!  Why the hell not?  If they attack innocent civilians, they need to be hunted down and killed.  Why is that a problem for you?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well...yeah!  Why the hell not?  If they attack innocent civilians, they need to be hunted down and killed.  Why is that a problem for you?
View Quote

Perpetual "war" has shown to be very expensive, both in lives and monies, as well as being completely unsuccessful.  So yes, it is a problem for me.  I would like to know when it will end.

Edited to add:  Costly in terms in lives and monies, as well as personal liberty.  I guess you believe in all of the "security measures" that Bush has been pushing through.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's probably not possible to end ALL terrorist acts, because new terrorists will come to be...but it certainly IS possible to end STATE-SPONSORED, ORGANIZED and FINANCED terror.  Which is what the government is currently trying to do.
But anyone with half a brain and a modicum of common sense would already know that.
View Quote

Well geez, I guess I'm just stupid for wondering why the Israelis have been trying to end "STATE-SPONSORED, ORGANIZED and FINANCED terror" for decades and have been failing miserably.  Frankly, I seriously doubt given our past performance at fighting nebulous ideas (like "drugs" or "crime"), that we will succeed where they failed.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top