Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I make up a reciept, including serial number, date, location, time.  I also include a blurb that they attest that they are not prohibited from buying or possessing firearms for any reason in any jurisdiction.  I also include other illegal purchases, such as purchasing for a person who is prohibited.

I have a spot for DL # too, so if the police come looking, I have the guys info as best I could so that if something happens with that gun, I can get "the man" out of my life asap.

Dont care what they do, but I CYA, as I have no control over what is done with it after it leaves my possession, and I don't want a hassle.

I let buyers know up front, as if they don't want to, they can refuse the deal.  I'm not going to be on the hook for a gun I don't own, and I want to be able to prove that I had no reason to believe it was a illegal sale/transfer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Whenever I buy or sell guns private party, I bring two identical Bills of Sale.

I fill them out with all pertinent information, and then sign both along with the buyer/seller.

I show them my ID, and they show me theirs (and that info goes on both Bills of Sale). They get one original copy, and so do I.

You can say "Ain't America Great With No Paperwork" all day long, but I don't want to be the one caught in the "Trick Bag" if something goes down after the sale.

Paperwork can really be your friend.

Just sayin'.

Oh, BTW: Flame Suit is on.

I used to that too.

I haven't done a FTF for a while, but I would probably do it like that again.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Cash. Swap. Handshake.
Freedom, how does it work?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]
As Randy Moss says,"straight cash homie."

Ive had a couple of guys ask to see my DL, i didnt mind since they didnt ask for a copy or anything.

I dont ask for much, they hand me cash i give them the firearm or vice versa. Its that easy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
In CA handguns need an ffl to hold it and run the check or you are
Breaking the law
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe Illinois requires the seller keep the buyer's FOID number on record for 10 years for any firearm sale.

Iowa requires the seller of a pistol keep the buyer's pistol purchase permit or CWP permit number for so many years.  Not for rifles though.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I collect fresh stool sample on the spot and spread it with buyer's Drivers License to check for parasites.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]

You never go ass to mouth.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I pay cash, you give me the gun.  Same way in reverse.  If desired we can each take a brief look at drivers licenses to prove that we reside in the same state but you DO NOT get to write down my home address.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will only sell a firearm to someone that provides me with a copy of their drivers license. This provides several things:

1. It proves they are a resident of my state
2. It proves they are of legal age to own a firearm
3. it provides all the pertinent information a LEO or BATF agent would need if that gun ever turns up in a crime and they come and question me about how I disposed of the gun
4. If a person will give you a copy of their drivers license for a firearms transaction, they are probably an honest person

I have had a couple of people over the years refuse to give me a copy of their DL on a FTF transaction or in-state transaction. I would not sell them the gun.

No fingerprints?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]
anymore, they have to

a) speak english

b) show me a texas CHL

c) have cash

that's about it.  if i see a valid CHL, thats not expired, i'm pretty sure they're good guys.  don't do business without it, or else it's someone i've known for YEARS and YEARS....

-tom
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]
First post and all

You give me monies, I give you gun or vise versa. Maybe a quick glance at a CPL but it doesnt really seem needed. I only list on here, thehighroad and WAguns and have never felt like anyone was trying to pull something shady so as stated cash and carry.

Not really intrested in putting any kind of paper into a FTF sale honestly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#14]
All I want to see, other than the proper amount of cash, is a picture ID so I know they're a resident of my state and old enough.  If they have a CCW and want to show it to me, that's fine.  I've even been shown LE ID a couple of times.  No ID, no gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The last time I sold a gun, it was through the EE to another arfcommer. We met FTF, and I brought my 6 year old along as muscle. I got money, he got the gun. Everyone left satisfied. Except my son. He thought a 5% wingman fee was cheap.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#16]
First post 'n stuff
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Generally cash and carry. If I get a hinky feeling I will ask to see a CWP or refuse. Only had to do that once, guy said it was in the car and never came back. Everyone else has seemed like good honest folk and I wasn't worried. I met buyers and sellers at gun shows, grocery store parking lots, church parking lots, highway rest stops and gun store parking lots. I usually prefer gun store parking lots (or Gander Mountain/Bass Pro) so the trip is dual purpose for both of us, I can go in a look around either before or after.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I like them. If I'm buying them.

But if I have a gun I bought on a yellow sheet, I get the person's name and address. ( I have to if it is a C&R, of course)

I don't want to invite the man into my life.
If I bought it without a yellow sheet, I'll sell it to someone with proper ID, which I just look at to make sure the transcation is a legal one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Cash & carry no need for stupid papers.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First post and all

You give me monies, I give you gun or vise versa. Maybe a quick glance at a CPL but it doesnt really seem needed. I only list on here, thehighroad and WAguns and have never felt like anyone was trying to pull something shady so as stated cash and carry.

Not really intrested in putting any kind of paper into a FTF sale honestly.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Unfortunately, here is this stupid county, the best way to sell a handgun FtF is at a Metro substation since we have handgun registration.

http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Ever see a Mexican stand off?

Sort of like that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I know its not necessary, but i copy my DL and their DL along with my carry permit and theirs, write
up a bill of sale, we sign it, and copy for each of us. I can cover my butt about who i sold it to in case
they are wacko, and they can prove legal ownership if they need to, like if it ends up in police custody
and they have to prove they acquired it legally to get it back.
If they have lost their copy, i have one.
If they balk at this, alarm bells go off with me, no sale.

scruff
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I insist on seeing a DL and CPL to verify they are legal and rely on my spidy sense just in case. then its cash and carry.

Most folks I have sold to are just like you and me,gun nuts.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will only sell a firearm to someone that provides me with a copy of their drivers license. This provides several things:

3. it provides all the pertinent information a LEO or BATF agent would need if that gun ever turns up in a crime and they come and question me about how I disposed of the gun
4. If a person will give you a copy of their drivers license for a firearms transaction, they are probably an honest person

I have had a couple of people over the years refuse to give me a copy of their DL on a FTF transaction or in-state transaction. I would not sell them the gun.

Do you look at it or get a "copy"?

You must have missed this part?

I bought a gun from a guy once who had a full document written in legaleese for me to sign. I was like "whatever" but it was waaaaay overkill. If you're that fucking paranoid then just go through an FFL. I wouldn't have been a bit surprised if a Notary Public chick had popped outta the trunk to witness the signing.    

A "Trunk Notary" instead of a "Trunk Monkey"!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I look at their CHL, disregard firearm and acquire currency.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I just ask to quickly see a driver's license to make sure they are a resident of this state, and that's the most I'll do when buying. I don't want someone having my personal info, so I don't ask for it return.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#28]
On pistols, state law requires me to do (state) paperwork and a NICS check (through the state POC).

On anything other than pistols, I have the option of  papering the transaction or not. If the buyer has a pistol permit I don't paper the transaction. If I know the buyer, then I might not paper it even if they don't have a permit. If I don't really know the buyer and they don't have a permit, I do the paperwork and NICS to cover myself. The legal standard is that I can't sell to somebody who I reasonably believe to be a prohibited purchaser or possessor. However, Connecticut also has a strict civil liability law...
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cash & carry no need for stupid papers.

This ^ , I will say, if you look like a gangbanger or basicly a dirtbag, I will likely walk.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Last one I did was in a Toys R Us parking lot.

It was for the children.

I did a trade last week at Toys R Us I thought it was funny when I suggested it to the guy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This, it's common sense
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cashier's Check and driver's license.

I've already had a visit by the Po Po asking me about a gun I sold which was subsequently stolen from the guy who bought it from me. As it turns out, it was the gun used to assassinate Abraham Lincoln

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whenever I buy or sell guns private party, I bring two identical Bills of Sale.

I fill them out with all pertinent information, and then sign both along with the buyer/seller.

I show them my ID, and they show me theirs (and that info goes on both Bills of Sale). They get one original copy, and so do I.

You can say "Ain't America Great With No Paperwork" all day long, but I don't want to be the one caught in the "Trick Bag" if something goes down after the sale.

Paperwork can really be your friend.

Just sayin'.

Oh, BTW: Flame Suit is on.

This is my practice also.

Both benefit.

The seller knows who is in possession to cover him in case of future misuse.

The buyer has a document in case there are any past 'issues' that come up later (gun reported stolen, in a crime, etc).

I'm thinking about asking for a cheek swab next.  jk

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The few I've done, I hand over the cash, they hand over the firearm, we shake hands, I get in my vehicle and drive away.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

And that's all that is required by law, and as it should be.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have my local fucked up Tranny do it for me. They are amazingly good at paperwork...who knew?

You have a transgender to do your gun sales?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I guess I am way out of the loop and forgive me for asking, but doing a FTF sale of a firearm is easy as handing money over, handing weapon over, and then that is it?  Nothing else needs to be done?  I have never done a FTF and am just curious.

Depends on the state. In Texas, the federal  laws only apply. As long as you have no knowledge of any reason why the buyer could not purchase, nothing else is required. For example you sold a gun to some who looked like they were 10 years old, you might have a problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I insist on talking to the guy on the phone at some point.  You can tell a lot about a guy just by interacting with him for 30 seconds.

I meet in a public, well-lit, populated area.  McDonald's parking lot with lots of people walking by works for me.

Cash and carry.  Paperwork is for gungrabbers.

Works great for me.

eta:  Oh yeah, I want to see your CHL (or you can see mine).  No writing down anything from it, but I suppose if you have a photographic memory you could.  Proves residency and that you've passed a background.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Handy pre made bill of sale:

http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This right here!  If someone doesn't want to positively identify themself to me and provide a copy of their ID when I am selling a gun; NO GUN FOR YOU!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have my local fucked up Tranny do it for me. They are amazingly good at paperwork...who knew?

They're very thorough.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I have an abandoned drive-in local to me.  I set up the meet and have a friend provide overwatch from a nearby roof top.  We line up car to car and just see how things work out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I usually check ID to make sure they meet the legal requirements (age and state of residence) if I'm selling.

I'll even write up a bill of sale if I'm buying.  Don't want to buy something then have it reported stolen.

I buy more guns than I sell though.

Rhino
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They're very thorough.

At what? I'll pass on that, thanks.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here!  If someone doesn't want to positively identify themself to me and provide a copy of their ID when I am selling a gun; NO GUN FOR YOU!

I wouldn't buy a gun from either of you. If I want to present my papieren I'll just go to an FFL.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're very thorough.

At what? I'll pass on that, thanks.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1217806_So_the_ATF_contacted_me_yesterday.html&page=1#i29536077

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have an abandoned drive-in local to me.  I set up the meet and have a friend provide overwatch from a nearby roof top.  We line up car to car and just see how things work out.

I think you forgot your other friend posted up near the exit with the 12 gauge
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top