[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Mag in, empty chamber, closed bolt, safety on.

That's what I do as well..

Whats wrong with condition 3?

Because it doesn't make sense to have the hammer cocked and the safety on with an unloaded weapon?

I was trained "Weapon on safe until you are ready to fire" and I don't like having a weapon in contition 1 unless its on my person.

As for the hammer...  are you afraid the spring is going to wear out?

No. It has nothing to do with the spring. It simply doesn't sense. Kind of like if somebody has their 1911 cocked and locked, but no round chambered.

Not really. You can't chamber a 1911 with the safety on. Cocked and locked on an AR will still allow chambering and is VERY quick.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Lot of strange stuff in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hot 'n safe....just like my sex.

So your guns are....

men?
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it doesn't make sense to have the hammer cocked and the safety on with an unloaded weapon?

I was trained "Weapon on safe until you are ready to fire" and I don't like having a weapon in contition 1 unless its on my person.

No. It has nothing to do with the spring. It simply doesn't sense. Kind of like if somebody has their 1911 cocked and locked, but no round chambered.

It makes perfect sense.  Why even have a safety if its only good for when the weapon is condtion 1?  IMHO an AR-15/M16 should always be on safe until its go time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My HD rifle stays in my gun safe, in condition 3.

My 1911 is in a lock box next to my bed in condition 1.

ALL my guns are stored in my safe except for my 'ready weapon.' My ARs and all my semiauto weapons are in Condition 3; in case of a house fire, they won't 'cook off' and empty the magazine that way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. You can't chamber a 1911 with the safety on. Cocked and locked on an AR will still allow chambering and is VERY quick.

Exactly.

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Chambered round in a rifle is a bad idea if the rifle is not in your hands. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
An unchambered AR with the hammer cocked and safety on confers absolutely no advantage over an unchambered AR with the hammer uncocked.

It does confer the disadvantage of not communicating to the user the chamber's status.  Granted, the ability to flick the safety on doesn't automatically dictate that a round is chambered in every case, but it does if I was the last one to touch the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

An unchambered AR with the hammer cocked and safety on confers absolutely no advantage over an unchambered AR with the hammer uncocked ...

Not true.

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Full mag, empty chamber, safety off.

Re: the full mag/open bolt.. A good drop on an open bolt could be a life ender.. I'm not taking any chances on a slamfire.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

An unchambered AR with the hammer cocked and safety on confers absolutely no advantage over an unchambered AR with the hammer uncocked ...

Not true.

What advantage is there?
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
An unchambered AR with the hammer cocked and safety on confers absolutely no advantage over an unchambered AR with the hammer uncocked.

It does confer the disadvantage of not communicating to the user the chamber's status.  Granted, the ability to flick the safety on doesn't automatically dictate that a round is chambered in every case, but it does if I was the last one to touch the weapon.

It confers that if someone (like a kid) puts their booger flicker on the trigger it wont release the hammer.  That to me is an advantage.

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#14]
If the hammer is uncocked, then a child's index finger (not a booger hook, please god stop with the 800 year old bad phrases) will not, in fact, release the hammer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
i only keep my my clips with 28 bullets so i don't compress the springs too much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If the hammer is uncocked, then a child's index finger (not a booger hook, please god stop with the 800 year old bad phrases) will not, in fact, release the hammer.

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't use an AR for home defense.  The Glock is the home defense weapon of choice.  Full mag... but none in the chamber.  Condition 3 here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy fuck, a lot of unsafe procedures going on in this thread.

Anyone with a round in the chamber, safety off, is an idiot. Actually, anyone running safety off at all is an idiot, why when you will have to engage the safety before you move with the weapon, you do keep the weapon on safe until you're ready to fire, RIGHT?
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#19]
6 AWs , 1 shotgun, 3 revolvers, and 4 auto pistols.........all have full mags inserted, but empty chambers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea what you're talking about, please get training before you try arguing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#21]
loaded mag inserted
dust cover closed
hammer down

the whole "what's the point of an unloaded gun" thing is great for a gun i am carrying on my person... since this is under or next to the bed... a perp would have to make it into the house (locks, alarm system, GDS) without me realizing it... and then make it up the steps and into my bedroom...

my GSD goes to THREATCON ALPHA when trash blows by the front of our house...

if i can't grab my AR and chamber a round, then i was attacked my stealth-equipped ninja assassins, and whoever wants me dead paid a lot of money for it to happen... i also have my carry gun (G32) chambered and holstered in the nightstand...
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Likewise, right back at ya ... hopefully though, you'll eventually "get it".

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Anyone with a round in the chamber, safety off, is an idiot. Actually, anyone running safety off at all is an idiot, why when you will have to engage the safety before you move with the weapon, you do keep the weapon on safe until you're ready to fire, RIGHT?

Three(3) people have stated they keep their AR chambered with the safety off.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.

I cannot fathom your response.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
AK underfolder here.
One in the tube, saftey off.

You must be joking.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

I can't fathom your response, either.

Come on, guys, if you're going to defend a stupid position, then go ahead and defend it.  Don't pull crazy shit that reinforces our opinion of you based on what we think of your position.

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
are you sure your mommy allowed you to use the computer?

Enlighten me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea what you're talking about, please get training before you try arguing.

What exactly is the purpose of charging the rifle, engaging the safety, then inserting the magazine?
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See red.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly is the purpose of charging the rifle, engaging the safety, then inserting the magazine?

Do you know what condition 3 means?
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See red.

See green.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A weapon is not charged until it has a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See red.

See green.

What? your reading comprehension is fucking awful.

ETA: Are you taking issue with my use of the phrase "a lot"?
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It makes perfect sence.  Why even have a safety if its only good for when the weapon is condtion 1?  IMHO an AR-15/M16 should always be on safe until its go time.

It makes as much sense as your spelling of the word.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#35]

My next stage (if I lived alone) would be bolt back, charging handle forward.  Slingshot to load.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Some of you guys need to skip the next 1000 rds of ammo you were going to buy and get some professional training instead.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes perfect sence.  Why even have a safety if its only good for when the weapon is condition 1?  IMHO an AR-15/M16 should always be on safe until its go time.

It makes as much sense as your spelling of the word.

You're still wrong if you are a Condition 3 hater....
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Come on, guys, if you're going to defend a stupid position, then go ahead and defend it.  Don't pull crazy shit that reinforces our opinion of you based on what we think of your position.

It's not a stupid position - your level of understanding is lacking.

The discussion is about HD "scenarios" - of which, many have to consider kids in the home ... perhaps you missed that bit.

But for the sake of arguement, let say, for example, you're "out on patrol" somewhere and you're walking around with your weapon charged ...

Q:  What position is your selector switch in ?

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

The discussion is about HD "scenarios" - of which, many have to consider kids in the home ... perhaps you missed that bit.

But for the sake of arguement, let say, for example, you're "out on patrol" somewhere and you're walking around with your weapon charged ...

Blitzen, the advantage to cond 3 is that once you chamber a round you're already moving, you don't need to then activate the safety to make the weapon cond 1.

Weapon unloaded, mag in well, safety on : Chamber round, moving

Weapon unloaded, mag in well, safety off : Chamber round, activate safety, moving

That's the difference.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My next stage (if I lived alone) would be bolt back, charging handle forward.  Slingshot to load.

CJ

Is your safety on while your bolt is to the rear?

Can you explain why you would do that at all, as opposed to just going condition 1?
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#41]
If I'm chambering a round in a high pressure situation, I don't necessarily want the safety on.

Even if I did, I can flick it on if the chambering is successful, otherwise I have no tactile indication that I didn't short-cycle the action.

Much more importantly, I'm not going to constantly cycle the action and pull the trigger every time I manipulate the weapon in non-emergency situations solely so that I have some ridiculously slight momentary safety advantage in an emergency situation.  I think that would raise the odds of an ND for no conceivable gain.

I appreciate the clarification, though, Panzer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Blitzen, the advantage to cond 3 is that once you chamber a round you're already moving, you don't need to then activate the safety to make the weapon cond 1.

Weapon unloaded, mag in well, safety on : Chamber round, moving

Weapon unloaded, mag in well, safety off : Chamber round, activate safety, moving

That's the difference.

Thank You !

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#43]
For all of you who keep a mag in the gun and the bolt lock back, do me a favor.  Take the mag out and then bump the butt on the floor or against a door frame and then report back on what happens.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

How so  ? Please explain that to me  if you can
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AK underfolder here.

You must be joking.

Why?

Not like his choice of HD weapon?

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Child safety and firearm education is another topic and does not aplly to this discussion.
! - No kids in my home
2- when the kids were home they knew what and how a firearm worked and they was never a safety issue
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

How so  ? Please explain that to me  if you can

Kindly re-read all of page two (2).

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Full inserted mag, bolt locked back, safety off.

Not a good idea ... at all.

What part other than the gun having an empty chamber?

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I'm chambering a round in a high pressure situation, I don't necessarily want the safety on.

Even if I did, I can flick it on if the chambering is successful, otherwise I have no tactile indication that I didn't short-cycle the action.

Much more importantly, I'm not going to constantly cycle the action and pull the trigger every time I manipulate the weapon in non-emergency situations solely so that I have some ridiculously slight momentary safety advantage in an emergency situation.  I think that would raise the odds of an ND for no conceivable gain.

I appreciate the clarification, though, Panzer.

I don't understand the highlighted part, what I'm advocating is that one cycles the bolt, and places the weapon on safe, then insert a loaded mag to make the weapon condition 3, there's no trigger pulls in the progression.

I never considered the tactile indicator of short stroking though, interesting reason, and from a certain standpoint valid, I have never had issue with short stroking an AR but it would certainly warn you if you ever did. I prefer my method and a day/night press check if I'm really paranoid about my chamber being empty.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
AK underfolder here.

You must be joking.

Why?

Not like his choice of HD weapon?

You really see no issue with having a loaded weapon, safety off?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top