Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
i let them in and let them talk for about ten min then i start on my moonbat crazy lizard people and alien beliefs and they tend to leave pretty quickly. Most JW only stay till i ask them what they plan do for eternity after you've done everything and learn every thing and stll have all  of eternity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The Mormons never come by.  If I was to take an guess, it's because the across the street neighbors are or have been the local quasi-parents, foster aunts/uncles, reload point, or ???.  In any case, the living across the street has worked pretty well.

The JW or other solicitors, well I put on an act of trying to restrain the hounds from hell from attacking.  The 14 year old bassett hound barks at anybody except her Momma because she can't see all that well anymore and is actually trying to see who it is and if they are bringing her some kind of munchies, and if she really sounds mean it's because she is trying to get the big dog out of her way.  The big dog is trying to see who it is while actually trying to keep me and the door between him and the intruders.  Big and brave both of them Yeah right.  But they don't know that.

"Oh shit they're getting loose run for it."  They usually do.  Then I open the door and the dogs just stand there, and I shut the door.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#3]
After they  ask if I've accepted Jesus or something similar I usually say I'm not a religious person and don't have any interest in discussing such things with them.  I tell them to have a nice day and politely shut the door.  Simple, to the point and gets the job done.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I always strike up a conversation, often invite them in.

I've had some very deep theological / religious discussions - sometimes even debates - with many of them, and learned a lot about their faith.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Invite them in for a beer!
Seriously, I tell them I've heard their "philosphy" before and that I attend another Christian sect.
No explanations other than that. A good bye and a no thank you usually sends them on their way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I thank them for stopping by. I tell them that I already have a deep personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and that their time would be better spent ministering to others who don't have such a relationship.

There's no need to be rude or harsh.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
They show up at least once a month here.

Problem is when we are out of town grandma house sits.  Well shit if she hasn't invited them in and politely debated them once or twice.

So OF COURSE they always stop here.  It is really fucking annoying.  I just don't answer the door - although it is getting to the point I'm about to tell them to fuck off.  I might just put a no soliciting sign out front instead - damn HOA be damned.

Chicken shits.  You've spread the message to this house multiple times (talking years now...).  Now go down into the ghetto and really test your dedication and faith - oh no, can't do that.  Their SUV might get jacked and they might get robbed.  That would really upset stopping for coffee after a morning of proselytizing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]

My main living room window is next to the front door.  No door opening is involved.

Turn on Type O Negative, Black Sabbath or, (my favorite) Alice in Chains on the stereo at a moderate volume.

Open the window and politely inform the canvassers that I'm a godless heathen and I have no intention of changing my behavior.

Then close the window and go back to listening to Alice In Chains and cleaning my guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a peephole and I use it.  I don't answer the door for people whom I don't know or aren't expecting.  Pretty much any unexpected stranger in street clothes is NOT going to get an answer from me.  

If I choose to answer the door for a LEO or FF/EMS whom I'm not expecting, I'm going to be eyeballing them really hard before opening the door.  If the slightest thing about them seems "off", the door isn't opening.  

The religious people who go door to door around here usually wear suits and sunglasses, traveling in pairs and groups.  They look like stereotypical Mafia hitmen out of the movies.  Needless to say, these guys don't get an answer.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
"sorry, not interested. Have a nice day"

*close door*

This.

However, I understand that they are quite tasty with Fava beans and a nice Chianti.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
My GSD has responsibility for all solicitors at my house.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#12]
same way i do it online.

okthxbye. shut door/disconnect.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Chicken shits.  You've spread the message to this house multiple times (talking years now...).  Now go down into the ghetto and really test your dedication and faith - oh no, can't do that.  Their SUV might get jacked and they might get robbed.  That would really upset stopping for coffee after a morning of proselytizing.

Trust me they go to the inner city (watch the movie Friday *lol*)...The ones that are in the inner city are just black JW's...
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I invite them to my church.  If they're into the Christian fellowship thing and not some kind of cultists, they genuinely appreciate the offer.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I will ask to nicely leave and let me be
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Ask if they are part of the donkey show.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I haven't been visited by missionaries since I left home at 18.

Before that, I would usually respond with "I'm sorry, we're from a different religion" and closed the door.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I usually just politely tell them "Pardon me while I finish up here - I'll be right with you."

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#20]
If I'm wearing a shirt, I take it off, and place the nearest gun on the coffee table in view of the door.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Half of ARFCOM may show up on your doorstep with a book of Mormon

having done this myself, all I ever asked anyone is to not be a total ass at the door, I know what no means, and I respected others belives or wishes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not mean and ugly to them, but I'm up front and tell them I don't have any money to give and simply not intrested in converting.  They always respond they aren't looking money.  If they catch me while I'm outside I'll be polite and speak with them for a while.  Once I did invite some LDS inside and discussed a few things.  

On a side note - anyone who comes to the front door the my first words are I don't have any money to give.  For most it lets the air out of their tires.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me they go to the inner city (watch the movie Friday *lol*)...The ones that are in the inner city are just black JW's...

The ones that come here are black JWs.

I don't doubt JW go to the ghetto, but these particular car full of older black ladies wearing their sun dresses and hats riding in their nice SUV I'm willing to bet don't go to the ghetto.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Half of ARFCOM may show up on your doorstep with a book of Mormon

having done this myself, all I ever asked anyone is to not be a total ass at the door, I know what no means, and I respected others belives or wishes.

Did you ever return to the same house uninvited?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You know, I was an LDS missionary, and can at least speak for that denomination.  We went into the ghetto regularly, and I was shot in a drive-by.

FWIW, I respected "No Soliciting" signs, kept a good list of those who had previously requested no contact & passed it on to those replacing me, and generally tried to be polite when meeting people.  That is what I did, but certainly can't speak for others.

Going door to door was not my favorite activity, but was required.  Having been the recipient of the spectrum of treatment, I tend to treat others as I would like to be treated - with respect.  As a result, I just politely decline & offer water if it's hot.  That comes from having been in their shoes in Phoenix in 115 degree heat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I was an LDS missionary, and can at least speak for that denomination.  We went into the ghetto regularly, and I was shot in a drive-by.

FWIW, I respected "No Soliciting" signs, kept a good list of those who had previously requested no contact & passed it on to those replacing me, and generally tried to be polite when meeting people.  That is what I did, but certainly can't speak for others.

Going door to door was not my favorite activity, but was required.  Having been the recipient of the spectrum of treatment, I tend to treat others as I would like to be treated - with respect.  As a result, I just politely decline & offer water if it's hot.  That comes from having been in their shoes in Phoenix in 115 degree heat.

RIF

A mere few posts above yours:

Quoted:
The ones that come here are black JWs.

I don't doubt JW go to the ghetto, but these particular car full of older black ladies wearing their sun dresses and hats riding in their nice SUV I'm willing to bet don't go to the ghetto.

And from my original post:

Quoted:

So OF COURSE they always stop here.

The same people repeatedly return here after having been asked to leave (albeit years ago).

Yet you felt compelled to take it personally and nail yourself upon some internet cross since because you are so obviously like the particular JWs that continue to stop by my home - oh wait, you don't return.  Guess that means you have absolutely zero reason to get your panties in a bunch.

Here is a hint:  When you try to push your religion, however politely, on someone at their own home, you are bound to get shit.

The hell it is required.  You are required to do no such thing by law.  You CHOOSE to do this task.  Stop skirting the issue.  Yes your church requires it, but you still don't have to perform it unless you want to be a part of the church - thus you want to do this task.  So don't play the martyr.

Bothering people in their own home pisses them off.  You might get shit from doing it.  Don't whine when you get shit, because it is a voluntary act you under take.  Assumption of risk and all that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I inform them that my religion requires me to slay and consume proselytizers, and then invite them in
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Once they showed up on a day like today while watching college football. It was around 3ish so I was pretty tanked. So I checked the peep hole, two mormans types. I pulled my nuts out my zipper and opened the door. Now I was impressed, they both looked saw my nuts stairing at them and continued with their pitch. One kinda looked down and said sir. I was like what??? He was like your??? I quickly responded with its how i keep cool. You boys want to come in for some fine Italian sausage and Ballsonya. These gave a look of disgust and walked away. Everyone at the house got a huge laugh at that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#29]
LDS and JW's are successful at door-to-door because most people don't know what they believe in the first place.  I am a Baptist, and can carry on an intelligent conversation with younger LDS people and turn it into an opportunity to share what I believe in as well.  No one is going to budge me on what I believe in the first place so I don't feel threatened by listening to someone who believes differently, if they give me the courtesy to listen to me as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm polite the first time I ask them not to return.

Me too.

Though if I see them coming, I will just not answer the door.  I spend a lot of time working in the garage, sometimes you'll see solicitors a few doors away and I can drop the Garage door and turn up the TV until they leave.  

I did have one group of Jehovah's witnesses that WOULD NOT LEAVE my f'ing doorstep.  Even after I slammed the door on them.

Current house came with a pre-installed 'No Solicitors' sign.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I say thanks but no thanks, keep up the hard work, and would you like a cold bottle of water.

You sir are a good man. This is the best thing I have heard in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yet you felt compelled to take it personally and nail yourself upon some internet cross since because you are so obviously like the particular JWs that continue to stop by my home - oh wait, you don't return.  Guess that means you have absolutely zero reason to get your panties in a bunch.

Here is a hint:  When you try to push your religion, however politely, on someone at their own home, you are bound to get shit.

My post was quite cordial, though I do apologize for not reading the entirety of your post and missing that you were referring only to a specific denomination.  My panties were never in a bunch, and I was merely clarifying something.  Further, I never took it personally or claimed any type of persecution.  I was trying to explain why I tend to be respectful to those who knock on my door.

Door to door proselyting is not, and should never be, mandated by law.  At no point did I claim it was a legal requirement.  It was required only by the religious organization who oversaw the mission.  I chose to do it.  In no way, shape, or form, did I ever claim to be a martyr.  Mentioning that I got shot while proselyting in a bad area isn't claiming martyrdom - it's stating a fact.  I had the moral conviction to do something I felt strongly about, despite apparent physical danger.  You may not like the religion, and you may not like me, but I didn't do what I did for your approval.

In point of fact, your post directed at me was filled with rancor when I was only trying to take part in a civil discussion.  I'm not knocking on your door bothering you right now, and you have no reason to attack me.  Direct your animosity elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I pulled a gun on one after he forced entry into my home and he fell down.  His partner grabbed his ankles and dragged him out while apologizing to me and chiding the intruder for not letting me close my door and forcing his way in.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Argue and belittle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#36]
If i dont know somone is suppose to be coming i dont ever answer the door anyway lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Now I fib and say I am Catholic. That sends them packing. I used to just take their literature, say I already go to church.

When I was in college there was a nice black lady who came by about once a month. She would have this uncanny timing of coming on mornings when my GF was in the other room passed out from the previous nights fuck-fest. Oops
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I did get the last mormons to give me a Book of Mormon so I could read it later.  Very nice folks.

Are you sure you're in the right place?  This is AR15.com's General Discussion area.  Tolerance of Mormons is not allowed.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#39]
nicht sprechen sie English
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thank them for their interest in my spiritual well being and inform them that while I respect their beliefs, I have my own and ask that they respect mine as well and have a nice day

Always be polite, regardless of the situation.

this
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I tell'em I'm not interested.

Usually they leave, but sometimes the zealots and the real pushy sales people don't get the hint. In that case I tell them they can leave 1 of 3 ways: They way they came in the first place; in a sheriff's car; or in an ambulance. The choice is theirs.

Only once did I have to call the cops and have a pair of LDS zealots hauled off. The deputy that responded said it was the second time that week for the two of them.

Now I have signs that say No Solicitors or Religous Missionaries.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

*Ich spreche keine English.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#43]
i once had the JW preacher and his son come to my door and ask me if i had heard about the coming of the antichrist.i told them i was the antichrist and shut the door.the next weekend it was a womon and her daughter,she started her spiel and i asked how much .she says what? i said how much for the little girl.(Blues Brothers) The look on her face was priceless.She got her daughter behind her and left.They have not been back.                                                                                                                      My parents used to invite them in then get in a debate on religion,my parents were agnostic but really well read up on the Bible.I remember the time my dad got the JW so pissed off that the JW threw the Bible at my dad.My dad told him that was a very Christian thing to do and told him to leave.As he left he condemned us all to hell.All my father was doing was quoting line and verse from the Bible against every point the JW would bring up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Ich spreche keine English.

Ja, das ist pwnage.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Now I fib and say I am Catholic. That sends them packing. I used to just take their literature, say I already go to church.

When I was in college there was a nice black lady who came by about once a month. She would have this uncanny timing of coming on mornings when my GF was in the other room passed out from the previous nights fuck-fest. Oops

I like the Catholic Angle.  Hell I am one...

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I point to the mezuzah on the door and the Star of David worked into the bricks on the patio.

Works every time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Tell them I'm happy being a satanist usually works......

Honestly I just tell them I have my own way to be with god and the churches are all full of shit,no I'm not kidding.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#48]
It depends on the mood I'm in.

One time I answered the door in my shorts and told them to come back later because my wife was out of town and the little tramp I picked up was going to give me a trip up the Hershey Highway.

Another time I knew the JWs were coming, so a couple of us got candles, sand, and made pentagrams etc and invited them in, They refused.

God sends people to my door strictly for my entertainment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't answer the door for anyone I don't know or am not expecting
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Answering the door with a meat clever after splitting a ham works great.

That, or pull a Miami Blues.

"What's your name?"
"Trouble."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top