Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As I posted in my other thread, I've lost a good bit of weight and made some progress in my fitness that I'm proud of over the last few months, but I've got one lurking problem. I have a hard time keeping my diet truly clean. I've been on the paleo diet (to the fullest extent the DFAC will allow me) and its done great things for my health, but I still have a fat kid mentality when it comes to sweets and treats. I always catch myself sneaking a piece of cake, or some candy, or a scoop of ice cream every now and then and I hate myself for it. Now, I don't mean that I beat myself up over it but it is something I'd much rather like to avoid.

I know, I know, I'm the only one capable of making decisions for myself. But it always starts with something like 'just a bite', and I end up eating a lot more than I'd like to without even realizing it and I just regret it later on. So what do you guys do to resist urges and cravings? I tried substituting fruit when my sweet tooth kicked in, but fruit only goes so far. I also think I'm not used to not feeling really, really full yet. When I weighed much more, I would eat until I felt full, like my stomach was stretch. I know now what being full really feels like, but its almost like I miss that old full feeling. I don't know why, I just can't seem to escape this mindset.

What really worked for me was keeping a food journal.  Write down everything you eat, everything.  Its even better if you can get a scale and weigh it out so you get a better idea of what you are eating.  Force yourself to log every handful of chips, trail mix, piece of cake, brownie, etc...

I was surprised at how the simple act of trying to find my journal, a pen and figuring out how many calories I consumed made me not want that piece of cake.  Having a hard and fast calorie goal also forced me to realize how little bits of junk food completely threw everything else out of whack.  Three large eggs are approx 210 calories and are filling, 3 Thin Mint Cookies are too (IIRC) but not nearly as filling.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Had to google “DFAC”.  No need to make us work harder to help you.

Seems to me you may have difficulty employing some of the techniques, or tricks, many use.  Do you have any buddies or training partners there that share similar nutritional concerns?  Sometimes they can be a darn useful crutch.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have the fat kid lurking in the back of my mind. I have supplemented my apparent inherent propensity towards sweets with lots of dried fruits like plums, dates, cranberries, apricots and figs. Try it, you might like it. My lunch consists of a huge round of watermelon dried dates and walnuts or a protein shake.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top