Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Rice cooker + pre rinse + basmati rice = perfect rice every time (without wasting a pan or stovetop space).

My particular rice cooker is a near-15 years old Zojirushi (10 cup) that is also a steamer, pancake/cake maker, oatmeal/porridge cooker, and all-in-one bad ass kitchen tool.  I use it just about 2 times per week.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
This is for you. Perfect every time.

Rice cookers are cheap and work great. Follow the instructions. No since in overthinking it.

I'm in the minority, and I realize half the planet would starve, but they could never raise another grain of rice and I wouldn't miss it. It is an effort for me to use the stuff, and it is in very specific meals.

Happy Cooking
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Old school rice cooker still kicking out kick ass rice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I make it like this video.
And DON'T skip the step that rinses the starch off the rice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMT2DRBqTo
View Quote
This is the best recipe. I have been using it for may years and rice is always perfect.

Key is to rinse the starch off. bring to boil, reduce the heat for 10 -15 minutes.  perfect every time
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Zojirushi
View Quote
OP:
the guy above wrote just one word but it is the most important word in this entire thread.

get a Zojirushi cooker from Amazon and your problems are behind you.  perfect rice, EVERY time.

ARFCOM is never wrong about Zojirushi.  my wife and i are completely satisfied with ours.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FVROW6?tag=vglnk-c102-20

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Rinse 2 cups uncooked white rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Add to 2qt sauce pan. Add 3 cups water, and boil until water is just evaporated and steam vents remain. Do not stir. Cover and reduce heat to low. let sit 12 minutes. Remove lid and stir.

Alternately, brown 1 1/2 cups dry rice in a sauce pan with a tablespoon of oil until it is just golden brown. Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce the heat to simmer for 18 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. stir and serve.

The first method removes the excess starch. the 2nd method sets it.
I use method two for making fried rice or red rice for Mexican dishes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I use jasmine rice, rinse it with cold water into a Zojiroshi cooker, 1-1/3 water to rice, a little butter or oil in the cooker.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Zojirushi
View Quote
This works for me
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy parboiled rice.  Perfect every time.
Understand that you are not cooking rice exactly, you are rehydrating it.

Parboiled rice is what restaurants use.  Always stays separated, can be warmed over.
Like someone said cook it a little while, then turn it off, it will rehydrate in 45 minutes or an hour.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
You're not washing the rice are you? Wash the rice until the water runs clear. Put in pot, add the required amount of water (there are directions on the bag), cover, when the water boils turn the heat down to simmer/low, let sit cover 15min. Remove and fluff with a fork.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Why is it mushy?  Because you over cooked it with too much water (2:1 water:rice is too much water for light and fluffy rice).
Why is it clumpy?  Because you didn't rinse the starch off it first (rinse your rice well before cooking it).

Rinse the rice, use less water, bring it just up to a boil then reduce the heat to very low heat and let it go COVERED for 10 minutes (don't open the cover to stir while it's cooking).

Buy an expensive rice cooker if you want (they do work), but making it properly in a pot on the stove produces exactly the same results - just cheaper...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plain long grain white that is.
I've never gotten it to where it is done, and has retained its shape and looseness.
Always ends up a clumped together and sort of mushy.
Now that Hinode black rice works great.
Oh, I use the boil method.
So, how do I get my rice cooked like a Chinese or other Asian place does?
View Quote
Use a rice cooker.
Follow the directions. You'll be turning Japanese.
Amazon Product
  • Lock tight lid and cool touch body
  • Detachable inner lid
  • Durable non-stick inner cooking pan

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Sticky rice is the best rice.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]
How I do it:

Put 2 cups of water into a saucepan.

Boil it.

Dump in a cup of rice.

Reduce heat to low.

Cook 20-25 minutes.

Fluff.

Rice ain't hard

Don't bother with a cooker unless you make a lot, often.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pressure cooker. Also doubles as ordnance in a pinch.
View Quote
The marathon was today.

And this.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get a rice cooker and follow the directions. Perfect every time.
View Quote
Yep. And buy jasmine rice
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buy parboiled rice.  Perfect every time.
Understand that you are not cooking rice exactly, you are rehydrating it.

Parboiled rice is what restaurants use.  Always stays separated, can be warmed over.
Like someone said cook it a little while, then turn it off, it will rehydrate in 45 minutes or an hour.
View Quote
+1 for Parboiled Rice.  Grains are larger, with less broken ones, too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]
it's soooo easy.

get a Zojirushi rice maker. Honestly my rice in the rice maker is better than rice in restaurants.  It's foolproof.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I once made my grandma mad

I said-I don't like this rice---it is't all stuck together and goodness like granny's

stuck together and stuff is better

duh

eat it that way and mush it around some son
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Guys are way overthinking this, 2 to 1 and put it in the fucking oven and fucking bake it.    JFC
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Two part boiling water with a shot of cooking oil, shot of vinegar, shot of salt then one part rice. 

Cover, reduce heat to simmer, do not remove lid for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Or set aside still covered to enjoy a little while later. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Imbecile.. 

Kidding aside... As an Asia, who is married to an Asia, who has Asian kids... We use Zojirushi.. I hope that tells you something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I asked my Korean sister in law that exact question. She said just buy a rice cooker......lol 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Rice cooker.

Doesn't take up counter space because it sits right on top of the rice bin that holds about 60lbs of Thai Jasmine rice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I asked my Korean sister in law that exact question. She said just buy a rice cooker......lol 
View Quote
My Japanese Sister in Law concurs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#27]
1 cup Jasmine rice
2 cups water
1 tsp olive oil
2 pinches salt

Mix ingredients in pot with tight lid, bring to boil, stir, cover, turn to low, let cook for 16 minutes, remove from heat, let sit 5 minutes, remove lid, and fluff with fork.

Do not ever open the lid, and you don't need to wash the rice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Zojirushi
View Quote
sanyo

They are hard to find in the US
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Zojirushi
View Quote
This... although Cooks Country now recommends a very cheap Aroma from Wal-Mart. I like my Zoji.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#30]
1 cup white rice of your choosing
Rise that shit till the water runs clear
2 cups water
Bring almost to a boil
Lower the heat way low
Cover
Come back in 25 minutes. Leave it the fuck alone. Don't look at it. Don't stir it. Don't even think hard at it.
Eat good rice
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I prefer the mushy, clumpy rice. Get the cheapest white rice and add a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, 2:1 water and boil it down. Mmmm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
1 cup white rice of your choosing
Rise that shit till the water runs clear
2 cups water
Bring almost to a boil
Lower the heat way low
Cover
Come back in 25 minutes. Leave it the fuck alone. Don't look at it. Don't stir it. Don't even think hard at it.
Eat good rice
View Quote
It gets a lot easier..
Add rice to the mark on the rice cooker bowl, rinse, add water to the second mark on the bowl, put it in a rice maker turn it on and walk away. 17-20 min later you have perfect rice. You can even have a delayed start for those days when you want a fresh bowl of rice for breakfast... 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#33]
A rice cooker makes cooking rice as simple as microwaving hot pockets.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Get a rice cooker and follow the directions. Perfect every time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It gets a lot easier..
Add rice to the mark on the rice cooker bowl, rinse, add water to the second mark on the bowl, put it in a rice maker turn it on and walk away. 17-20 min later you have perfect rice. You can even have a delayed start for those days when you want a fresh bowl of rice for breakfast... 
View Quote
And for the other 6 days of the week I've got one more thing to shove in a cabinet next to my food processor and big mixer and blender and other assorted shit. Had a rice cooker. It was convenient and made good rice. I didn't replace it when it broke. Took up space I didn't want taken
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Man most of you are way overthinking this.

Take a pot, put any amount of rice in it you want.  Begin filling with water.  Stick your index finger in until it touches the rice.  When the water reaches the first joint of your index finger, you have enough water.

Bring to a boil on medium to high heat, until there are almost no bubbles forming on top of the rice.  Put on low heat and cover.  Let simmer about 5 to 10 minutes.  Rice will come out fine.

Out here on the Cajun Prairie, everyone knows how to cook rice.  And most rice cookers are junk.

LC
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I use basmati rice and it turns out fine everytime.

Soak rice for 30 min
Rinse rice until water runs clear
Bring water to boil
Add rice
Cook until tender
Remove from heat
Dump boiling water
Run cold water over rice to stop the cooking

Done. For some extra fanciness, take one half cup of your cooked rice and add saffron water (steap a tsp of saffron in a few Tbsp of hot ass water). Stir until you get a consistent orange color. Take that and garnish the rest of your rice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I learned from a chinese malaysian friend. Dude didn't measure water. Just put well rinced rice in a pot, put his finger on top of the rice, and poured in water until it hit his knuckle above the rice.
View Quote
Yep learned this way too from a Poly buddy of mine. Works great.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Asian wifey uses rice cooker, perfect everytime.
It cooks all types of rice, white, brown, sushi, and can steam bread.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Zojirushi.

Rice isn't all that hard to cook in a normal pot.   The nice thing about a good rice cooker is that you can set it and forget it until it's ready.  You kind of have to pay attention to a pot on the stove or you'll screw up your rice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#41]
100% of my Asian friends and family members use rice cookers. Never once have I seen them cook on the stove.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wash the uncooked rice in cold water before you cook it
View Quote
this is most people's problem--they skip this step, then wonder why their rice is gluey.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Rice is one of those oddeties of the kitchen world that has instructions printed right on the bag.

1) read the instructions
2) put 2 cups of rice and 3 cups of water in a pot
3) bring this to a boil
4) turn heat down to '2' (out of 10)
5) PUT THE LID ON THE POT (if the lid fits loosely, cover the pot with plastic wrap, then put the lid on)
6) after all previous steps, set a timer for 15m
7) when timer goes off, move pot off the burner
8) wait a few minutes then dig in

Some instructions call for 1.5:1 water:rice and others call for 1:1
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wash the uncooked rice in cold water before you cook it
View Quote

This.   The reason it's sticky is because of the gluten.  Wash the gluten out before cooking by putting the rice in a bowl and rinsing it in cold water until the water becomes clear.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81WQMYNq-SL._SL1500_.jpg

Microwave rice cooker.  This is what you seek.  Can also do veggies.
View Quote
That crap is a rip off.  Any microwave safe bowl with plastic wrap covering the top and heavily punctured with a fork does the same thing as those things do.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top