Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife said the size of the pipe didn't matter.

My wife , after hearing me read the title of the thread , said " Are you SERIOUS ??"

now thats funny...

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
OP I am sincerely sorry for entering your thread and giving you the correct answer. Good luck with the drain.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You simply need a flange for 1 1/4" pipe which is the drain on the sink and 1 1/2" pipe which is what it connects to at the trap. I have thousands, so does Home Depot.

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

Ignore everything posted in this thread except what I said this is common and simple. Go to HD and explain your situation, the fix is like .25

A little arrogant, aren't you?  A couple posters prior to you have already told him he needs a reducer.

The irony is, he's wrong.

It's not a inch and a quarter fitting coming off of the drain in that photo. It's an inch and a half fitting, for a kitchen sink drain.

The OP doesn't need a reducer. He needs an extension.

Um, no. He needs a flange. You are wrong.

This is basic, I mean basic fucking skills.

I gave the answer, now dozens of you can flame me and come up with a new way to make the fucking wheel round.

My 13 year old could do this.

Fuck it. I gave the answer. Go buy extensions reducers JB weld, duct tape go for it.

See the black piece pointing towards the trap????????????? That's 1 1/4" see the fucking "curvy" thing, that's called a trap they are ALL 1 1/2" post 1960's

Sink drain used to be 1 1/4" it is now 1 1/2" showers are 2"

But fuck it, you all go the way you want.

lol..  the butthurt is soooo  obvious.

You have nothing of value to contribute do you?

question was asked and answered.  No need for me to say anything.  You should learn the concept.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
You simply need a flange for 1 1/4" pipe which is the drain on the sink and 1 1/2" pipe which is what it connects to at the trap. I have thousands, so does Home Depot.

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

Ignore everything posted in this thread except what I said this is common and simple. Go to HD and explain your situation, the fix is like .25

A little arrogant, aren't you?  A couple posters prior to you have already told him he needs a reducer.

It's not a inch and a quarter fitting coming off of the drain in that photo. It's an inch and a half fitting, for a kitchen sink drain.

I gave the answer, now dozens of you can flame me and come up with a new way to make the fucking wheel round.

Fuck it. I gave the answer. Go buy extensions reducers JB weld, duct tape go for it.

See the black piece pointing towards the trap????????????? That's 1 1/4" see the fucking "curvy" thing, that's called a trap they are ALL 1 1/2" post 1960's

Look at the picture again.
That is not an inch and a quarter tailpiece.
But fuck it. You're an expert on everything.

OP! Hey! OP!
What kind of sink is that?
Kitchen, bathroom, or laundry sink?

If it is a bathroom sink, I owe the expert an apology.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

question was asked and answered.  No need for me to say anything.  You should learn the concept.

But you did say something didin't you? You opened your mouth and let the shit fly. Keep following me around and trolling my every word.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

But you did say something didin't you? You opened your mouth and let the shit fly. Keep following me around and trolling my every word.

I like following you and calling out your bullshit.  Easiest thing ive done all day!

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The piece you need is called a "reducer."

seem to me that he would need and increaser it is obviously going from small to big

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

OP! Hey! OP!

Sure looks like an inch and a quart to me. If the tail was 1 1/2" there would be no fucking discussion now would there? It would already be screwed together.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

OP! Hey! OP!

Sure looks like an inch and a quart to me. If the tail was 1 1/2" there would be no fucking discussion now would there? It would already be screwed together.

wouldnt screwing it together be 'elementary knowledge', of which you said the OP had none?  He needs you to tell him how to screw it together too im sure.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Plumber cat fights.

Been awhile.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Books on plumbing, most hardwares stores have them, buy one and read it.

Here's a hint, R-E-D-U-C-E-R. Look in the book.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

OP! Hey! OP!

The tailpiece is too fucking short. It needs a longer tail piece or an extension. The only sink that takes an inch and a quarter tail piece is a bathroom sink. A kitchen sink is inch and a half.

Stick around and let's hear from the OP.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Plumber cat fights.

Been awhile.
Standard GD fair...

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
No matter what you think is the right solution, it's always gonna mean at least two trips to the hardware store.

Ain't that the truth.

Only if your lucky. Motherfucking plumbing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, when you say reducer, do you mean the little white beveled rings that act as seals and compression fittings/pvc? Looks like a small donut?

I'm wondering if there is some sort of regional nomenclature at play here?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The tailpiece is too fucking short. It needs a longer tail piece or an extension. The only sink that takes an inch and a quarter tail piece is a bathroom sink. A kitchen sink is inch and a half.

Stick around and let's hear from the OP.

Yeah the tail could be too short. In which case he'd need a longer one. Really looks 1 1/4" to me. Whether he replaces the tail or not, he is still going to need a flange to hold it in the trap.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Jesus Christ.

It is a simple compression fitting to threads. They are for sale at every hardware store in America.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

seem to me that he would need and increaser it is obviously going from small to big

Makes sense to me!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Knock off the bickering in this thread.

Killjoy......

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There's a "slip joint/coupler" that will fix that, go to home depot and get one.

The pipe on top fits through the coupler and it screws down on the threads on the lower piece.

Search google images for "sink plumbing parts" to see picts.

Ta Da

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, when you say reducer, do you mean the little white beveled rings that act as seals and compression fittings/pvc? Looks like a small donut?

I'm wondering if there is some sort of regional nomenclature at play here?

I guess. i knew by flange you were talking about a compression fitting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ.

It is a simple compression fitting to threads. They are for sale at every hardware store in America.

I'm an asshole for pointing this out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knock off the bickering in this thread.

Killjoy......

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

that might be how you guys do things up in shitcago, but that is not what he needs to do

learn a thing or two before giving advice
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Plumber cat fights.

Been awhile.

Almost as much fun as a Sparky Smackdown.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus Christ.

No, people were calling you that for this statement:
Quoted:
Ignore everything posted in this thread except what I said

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn this is better than a Horiuchi thread.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ.

No, people were calling you that for this statement:
Quoted:

Ignore everything posted in this thread except what I said

and calling a compression fitting a flange. to most people, a flange implies a raised lip with provisions for bolted connections.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#30]
OP you need to check if the top pipe is really too small and just needs a extension.  This is how they should go together.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

OP you need to check if the top pipe is really too small and just needs a extension.  This is how they should go together.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/media/img/kitchdrain9.jpg

That's what I ended up getting, was an extension, the pipe was too small and I would have had to order a custom cap but instead I got a big rubber washer I'm just going to cut to size and squeeze it under the cap so its water proof, I will take a pic after I do the install.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Bicycle inner tube cut off, and two hose clamps.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bicycle inner tube cut off, and two hose clamps.

Or a piece of car radiator hose and two hose clamps.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#35]
You fancy folks and your indoor plumbing.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I went with an extension tube, with two slip joint's the top one's hole was to big so I had to cut some rubber to fit in there to water proof seal it. Also the smallest slip joints I could find were 6 inches, so I took a hack saw to it and cut it to size. I'm still going to use some water proof caulking on all it before I run the sink though.
edit: didn't realize the pic was so shitty I took it on my cell phone.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#37]
AAR: Doing your own install's and plumbing saves you ALOT of money, but if you have the money to pay a contractor then do it because plumbing and installing sinks sucks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I went with an extension tube, with two slip joint's the top one's hole was to big so I had to cut some rubber to fit in there to water proof seal it. Also the smallest slip joints I could find were 6 inches, so I took a hack saw to it and cut it to size. I'm still going to use some water proof caulking on all it before I run the sink though.

http://i53.tinypic.com/v8hhx.jpg  

Christ on a cracker...

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You shouldn't have to shove rubber in there or caulk it to seal it, that is extreme hackwork.  You need the reducer.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Why use caulk when there is JB weld?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You shouldn't have to shove rubber in there or caulk it to seal it, that is extreme hackwork.  You need the reducer.

I'm no contractor or plumber by any means, I'm just a dude doing the best I can out here.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Why use caulk when there is JB weld?

Because in 10 years when I update my sinks again I want to be able to unscrew all that crap.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm glad you almost have it sorted out, Reservist.

You did use the plastic washer on the lower joint when you put the extension on, right? You can get a plastic washer for the top, where it runs into the 1 1/4" pipe, that is made to adapt 1 1/2" to 1 1/4".

It's that part that Patriot has been talking about. Twenty five cents or so. Much better than rubber and caulk.

And I apologize for asserting erroneously that the pipes were both inch and a half. Clearly the drop tube from the sink is inch and a quarter and I was wrong. Sorry to drag strife into the thread.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

Right on Brother!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/your_opinion.jpg

I'm no contractor or plumber by any means, I'm just a dude doing the best I can out here.

I understand that, but it seems like a plumber gave the correct advice early in the thread and everyone argued with him for 2 pages.  And now you have a hacked up sink drain with rubber shoved in it and caulk holding the water in.  

Ya know what, I'm staying out of this  
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My wife said the size of the pipe didn't matter.

Haha... I hear they say that to guys who have small pipes
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

here is your answer. get the sizes of the 2 pipes and go to home depot or whatever and get a reducer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#48]
You need to find yourself a 4' piece of cow gut, then cut it down to the proper length.

Next, call HD and ask for the proper CG connector and clamps.

You're Welcome.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What you need is a 1 1/4  X  1 1/2 trap washer, forget about all the rubber and water proof caulk and fix it the right way. Here is a pic of the part (its the blue washer in the PVC male), its probably like a 0.50$ part.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top