BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why don't you serve so that the next time a Bladerunner comes up there is someone sane on the jury?

glad someone said it.

+1.  I wish I'd get called.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow.  That is one Jury I would actually like to be on.

As far as "getting out" of it, I suggest you print up the thread regarding the Arfcommer who was sentenced to three years for a malfunction.  Tell them "This is why I want to be on the jury.  To prevent injustice such as This!"     It would work, but probably get you on a list.

In all seriousness, do some research on "Jury Nullification"  If you believe in the Constitution as written, and you believe you should be free to form your own judgment, they will not want you on the Jury.   Do not use the phrase, because it will only anger them.  Just work the general theory into the responses you give them during selection.

+1.

Jury nullification might get you out of jury.  However, if you want to do your civic duty I would read up on it and not mention it unless asked.  You can read about it here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

IMO our country would be much better off if every criminal case required that the judge include something about jury nullification in the jury instructions.  

+1
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think this thread is going the way the OP wanted
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Jury Duty isn't so bad..I don't know if anything will work to get out of a Federal jury duty.  They can always send you to a case that doesn't pertain to your predudices..lol  I am on a case for 6 months..suck it up and do your civil duty..

If I get picked I'll do it and form my own opinions about it, just real inconvenient timing if its with in the next couple months. Last time I got a notice where I had to call in everyday I was actually hoping to get picked for that one it was the local court and it was winter and work was slow.

Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Never understood why people try to get out of it. As a citizen it is a right and responsibility.

Yep, it's not like you have to do it all the time, it is a responsibility and should be treated as such.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jury Duty isn't so bad..I don't know if anything will work to get out of a Federal jury duty.  They can always send you to a case that doesn't pertain to your predudices..lol  I am on a case for 6 months..suck it up and do your civil duty..

If I get picked I'll do it and form my own opinions about it, just real inconvenient timing if its with in the next couple months. Last time I got a notice where I had to call in everyday I was actually hoping to get picked for that one it was the local court and it was winter and work was slow.

Well the timing is never good. Thrust me I've been there.
Like, I'm too busy at work to take time off.
Like, I'm not working and can't afford the fuel and parking fees or I need the time to look for work.

I'm relieved to see that you'll do your part if called even as inconvenient as that might be.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell them you like guns, have evil black rifles and hangout on ar15com talking to a bunch of gun nuts during the day instead of working. You'll get dismissed, worked for me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Tell them you like guns, have evil black rifles and hangout on ar15com talking to a bunch of gun nuts during the day instead of working. You'll get dismissed, worked for me.

Really?

Surely, You Jest.

~R
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Never say you're racist.  Say you're an alcoholic or an addict.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Surely, You Jest.

~R

knowing some of the whack jobs that post here, I half believe it.

NOT saying you're a whack job, just making an observation on some of the nutty shit that gets posted here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Dude, if you don't do this one little thing that millions of service men and women have died for you sir are a coward and a shirker of duty.

Do your DUTY!

Imagine if George Washington had your attitude. Actually there were a bunch of people with your attitude, they were called tories.

flame over.

YOu know the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Notice what Notice? I did'nt get no stinking Notice!
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe someday you will be lucky enough to have a jury of people who all were too dumb to get out of it.  Then you can wonder why you got convicted on bullshit charges.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Maybe someday you will be lucky enough to have a jury of people who all were too dumb to get out of it.  Then you can wonder why you got convicted on bullshit charges.

Between this and the ATF snitching thread Im feeling pretty fucking sick
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Jury Duty is inconvienent because they want people that have lives and don't sit around all day listening to the news with nothing else to do but form jackass opinions..lol  Some people go from court room to court room just watching trials and they will never be picked because they hear too much to be swayable..
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I wish I would be picked for Jury duty.  

Change your registration to Republican instead of Libertarian.

That's how I get out of jury duty at all levels.  Automatic drop due to the fact that Libertarians are presumed to know about and support FIJA.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#18]

You could move here. We don't have jurys here.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
IMO our country would be much better off if every criminal case required that the judge include something about jury nullification in the jury instructions.  

Perhaps something like "We are governed by a system of laws which are passed by your duly elected representatives.  However, feel free to disregard these laws, and the oath you took to follow them when you were sworn in as a juror, if you feel like it."
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I did not want to get out of Federal Jury Duty, but managed to get voted off the island by the army of lawyers, anyway.

From what I have seen, about any of these should work:

- Be well dressed
 - Be a preacher
 - Work for the FBI as a CSI
 - Work in any industry remotely related to the case, or even sounds like similar
 - Work for an Insurance Company
 - Answer questions properly, using legal jargon you picked up on "Law and Order"

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Suck it up and just do it if you are chosen. Feel proud to be serving on a jury. Plus I know here that they will cover travel expenses as well as compensating you for your time spent as a juror.

It might just be a good experience that you might just enjoy or learn something new from.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish I would be picked for Jury duty.  

Change your registration to Republican instead of Libertarian.

Voters in VA don't register by Party.  You're either registered to vote, or you aren't.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Are you there 8 hours/5 days a week?

The last 4 day trial I was on get really old, really fast (for some reason, I took offense to the jury only being "used 2-3 hours a day, while the judge took time out for other trials). I can't imagine 6 months.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Why not just go do your fucking duty as a citizen of the Republic

Jesus H. Christ, no wonder this fucking country is headed into the shitter
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I got called to jury duty once.. it sounded interesting because it was a drive by shooting.

They got a full jury picked before they got to me..

I hope they call me up again..
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I heard a fellow juror tell the prosecutor that he could tell if someone was guilty just by looking at them. The judge was not amused in the least.

Next to impossible to get out of Federal Jury Duty.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never understood why people try to get out of it. As a citizen it is a right and responsibility.

If it was at the local court I wouldn't mind it so much but the federal court isn't even in the same county as me, over an hour commute each way, being federal who knows how long a trial could drag on for, and for what $5 or 6/hr that might not even cover gas and parking.

Sorry, but I see it as part of my citizenship to this great country. I hope if I am on trial it's not to much trouble for someone to show up

Well said, If I was on trail for something I didn't do I wouldn't want jurors that didn;t have nothing better to do so that's why they came. I would want a jury of my equal peers that had some brains and decision making abilities.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#28]
You don't.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Well the time honored method is to drop a racial slur during the interview. If they still accept you, you are virtrually guaranteed an opportunity to tell the media and make a good bit of money.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I got a questionnaire in the mail today that I'm up for consideration. I don't want to do it, is there anything I can put on it w/o getting myself in trouble to not get picked?

Man up?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top