BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not even a close call, sandy bridge absolutely trounces everything available in terms of performance and value

$300 2600k overclocks to almost 5ghz on air, and comes within 10% or exceeds the benchmark scores of intel's OWN flagship $1000 processors.

Amd ain't got nothing on SB, outstanding value on a cpu that destroys anything amd has out, including their 6 core 1090t.

So you have to buy a new mobo, big deal, the price/performance justifies it.

Just make sure you get a "k" model, those are the ones that can overclock.

Never O/Cd a CPU before, Do I need a special heatsink/fan or will the factory one do fine?

You can OC with the stock fan, but it won't get far. You can get high quality aftermarkets for about $40, not too bad at all.

As far as the SSD, you're right about the space. I was mulling a 300 GB Velociraptor 10k RPM drive, you can pick up a refurb for about $100.

I'm building an FSX box too, with the specs from my above post. I have an ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 and 2 27" Asus monitors sitting in the office waiting for the rest of the equipment. Just need the CPU, MB, RAM Combo and another monitor.

Here's what I'm shooting for.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
not even a close call, sandy bridge absolutely trounces everything available in terms of performance and value
$300 2600k overclocks to almost 5ghz on air, and comes within 10% or exceeds the benchmark scores of intel's OWN flagship $1000 processors.

Amd ain't got nothing on SB, outstanding value on a cpu that destroys anything amd has out, including their 6 core 1090t.
So you have to buy a new mobo, big deal, the price/performance justifies it.
Just make sure you get a "k" model, those are the ones that can overclock.

Never O/Cd a CPU before, Do I need a special heatsink/fan or will the factory one do fine?

Seriously, never use Intels stock cooler, it's utter shit. I don't know why they still make them. Get an Artic Cooler 5. It's like 30 bucks and probably one of the best.

I got a Coolermaster V8, because it looks cool, and was only about 80 bucks.

You'll get maximum efficiency with an aftermarket cooler.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
AMD has fucked me over every time I have "given them a chance".

I'm done with their unstable CPUs and Company.

Ditto

AMD is also crap now that AMD owns them (well to be fair they, while cheaper and seemingly as fast as Nvidia, have been sucking hard for a while now)

Intel for CPU and if gaming a Nvidia GPU

all of this MAY change with the upcoming Nvidia ARM CPUs
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If it were me I would wait for Intel's new processors to come out this year.

Sometime near Spring/Mid-Spring

Look up "Sandy Bridge"

+1

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had the i5 for a bit now its great. Serious speed and im not even overclocking. Temps stay low, its a great chip.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Go for the core i5, it's built on a more advanced process. Sorry Zhukov... if it's any consolation, I think people should buy Radeon graphics cards.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The i5 will be faster; it's a generation ahead of AMD, so it's faster clock-for-clock.  It has turbo boost, so it will clock up to 3.7ghz when the chip is not fully utilized.  Very few games benefit from 4 cores, let alone 6.  6 cores would only have the edge in very intensive parallel tasks like video encoding and distributed computing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The Micro Center in Columbus, OH is selling the i5-2500K for $179.99 which is $50.00 less than that Tiger Direct ad. If you have a Micro Center near you, you may want to check them out for your processor.

Thanks! I missed that! That tips the scale heavily in favor of the I5. Unless someone can come up with some HUGELY compelling reason to go AMD, I'm gonna get the I5.

Why do you hate me so much?

Because he would rather support me

ETA: Buying Intel also supports a company that is spending billions of dollars this year in infrastructure in America. I believe the Sandy Bridge CPU's are being made at the factory next to mine, and in a couple years we will also be making the processors at my factory. Thanks for the job security.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Originally Posted ByTigerDirect.com:
Note: 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5 processors are not compatible with Socket H (LGA1156).

WAT?

It is the socket on the motherboard that the processor goes into. If your motherboard has a Socket H, then the i5 will not fit properly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go with the AMD.

Fuck Intel and putting a Killswitch in the new Sandy bridge CPU.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I would go with the AMD.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would go with the AMD.

Look it up, it is a well known fact!

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go with the AMD.

Anti theft device?

http://antitheft.intel.com/welcome.aspx

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Intel> AMD  Always!  Your mileage will not vary. YMWNV!
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go with the AMD.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/wombatturd/tinfoilguy.gif

Anti theft device?

"Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors have a new feature that the chip giant is calling Anti-Theft 3.0. The processor can be disabled even if the computer has no Internet connection
or isn't even turned on, over a 3G network. With Intel anti-theft
technology built into Sandy Bridge, David Allen, director of
distribution sales at Intel North America, said that users have the
option to set up their processor so that if their computer is lost or
stolen, it can be shut down remotely."

ETA: And we all know it will only be a matter of time before the script kiddies write a nice little Virus to "shut em down".

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Doesn't Intel's pushing of Digital Rights Management by way of their processor's come into play right about now?
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would go with the AMD.

Anti theft device?

"Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors have a new feature that the chip giant is calling Anti-Theft 3.0. The processor can be disabled even if the computer has no Internet connection or isn't even turned on, over a 3G network. With Intel anti-theft technology built into Sandy Bridge, David Allen, director of distribution sales at Intel North America, said that users have the option to set up their processor so that if their computer is lost or stolen, it can be shut down remotely."

ETA: And we all know it will only be a matter of time before the script kiddies write a nice little Virus to "shut em down".

ZOMG

Originally Posted by IntelUser2000

This isn't anything to get upset
about. The Anti Theft tech is available on chipsets with a "Q" in front
of the name(Q4x/Q6x etc), and is mostly aimed at business. Mobile
versions of the chips exist too, with the naming at "QM". If you get
regular chipsets(like the X, H, and P series) without the vPro and Anti
Theft you don't get the feature.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2128491

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Go out and buy the most expensive Intel CPU you can.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would go with the AMD.

Anti theft device?

"Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors have a new feature that the chip giant is calling Anti-Theft 3.0. The processor can be disabled even if the computer has no Internet connection or isn't even turned on, over a 3G network. With Intel anti-theft technology built into Sandy Bridge, David Allen, director of distribution sales at Intel North America, said that users have the option to set up their processor so that if their computer is lost or stolen, it can be shut down remotely."

ZOMG

This isn't anything to get upset about. The Anti Theft tech is available on chipsets with a "Q" in front of the name(Q4x/Q6x etc), and is mostly aimed at business. Mobile versions of the chips exist too, with the naming at "QM". If you get regular chipsets(like the X, H, and P series) without the vPro and Anti Theft you don't get the feature.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2128491

Anyone considering this a serious threat to his personal security or privacy should trash his mobile phone immediately.

Meh.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

IBTM

In Before the Macs

Macs use Intel Core processors.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#21]
crap nevermind
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Doesn't Intel's pushing of Digital Rights Management by way of their processor's come into play right about now?

The DRM on the SB chips only applies to Intel's streaming service, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#23]
So how do I go about overclocking my CPU? And how can I be sure not to turn it into an expensive and ineffective paperweight?
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So how do I go about overclocking my CPU? And how can I be sure not to turn it into an expensive and ineffective paperweight?

Kepp it under 1.36vcore and under 80C and you will be fine.

This Xeon is an i7 and was only $200 last august!

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Overclock.net is your best friend.

ETA:  within 2 days of getting this new rig (i7 950), I had it stable at 4.2 GHz @ 1.32v.  OC'ing the Sandy Bridge (god, I keep wanting to call it Sandy Vag for some reason), is supposed to stupid easy.  Apparently they added mouse support in the BIOS, and everything is now OC'ed from just the multiplier and voltage.

ETA2:  
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTM

In Before the Macs

Macs use Intel Core processors.

Ah hahaha!

Good catch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It's pretty easy. You have to figure out which processor you want first, then do a little bit of homework. It's just changing some BIOS settings. As the others have said, check out the overclocking forums. Usually someone will post their conservative settings. The real problem is heat, but most/all CPU's will shutdown before they break.

You Tube is a good source too

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I would take a first gen i5 over  the AMD, so definetly get the second gen i5

The i5 i7 series is amazing compared to AMD ATM. Plus the i5 has built in graphics so you do not need a GPU

Except the i5 built in graphics are crap.

Buy an i5-760 and put a decent video card in. Yeah, it will cost a little more, but you'll be glad you did.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The i5 i7 series is amazing compared to AMD ATM. Plus the i5 has built in graphics so you do not need a GPU

Buy an i5-760 and put a decent video card in. Yeah, it will cost a little more, but you'll be glad you did.

Yes thats if you want to play games.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I stated that I played graphics intensive games in my OP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're getting Tri SLI 570's, right?
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#32]
right now there isa deal. GTX 460 768mb for $56. Cheapest I've seen is $100. Checkout the online deals section of overclock.net

You can get two at that price and that would be good for up to 1680x1050
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Micro Center in Columbus, OH is selling the i5-2500K for $179.99 which is $50.00 less than that Tiger Direct ad. If you have a Micro Center near you, you may want to check them out for your processor.

Thanks! I missed that! That tips the scale heavily in favor of the I5. Unless someone can come up with some HUGELY compelling reason to go AMD, I'm gonna get the I5.

Yeah, wouldn't it be just fscking great of Micro Center would open up near me? Because you can't get that damn price except by walking in the DAMN store. And there's no STORE within hundreds of miles of here. Thanks a lot Micro Center you damn PRICKS.

Not that I'm upset by it or anything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

I wish. I have a Radeon 5770.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#35]
2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

That might result in a bottleneck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

I know....

But after I finish buying everything else, I'm gonna save up for a better card or two.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

I know....

But after I finish buying everything else, I'm gonna save up for a better card or two.

Keep in mind that if you're main game is going to be FSX, it only uses one GPU. Anything more than that actually slows it down. Adding extra cards will slow it down instead of speed it up. Stick to a single hefty 1 GPU card. That's why I opted for the 5870.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Hardware is fast enough these days, just buy whatever is cheaper.

For me that was an AMD Phenom II x4 955BE and an ATI 4890 HD. Before it was Intel and Nvidia.

The only time you'll really know which is faster is when you're staring at benchmark graphs. Invest in a good SSD for real performance boosts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget about SSD. HDD's are the bottleneck these days.

I've decided on this one, Crucial 64GB 355MB/sec (SATA 6Gb/s) Read, 75 Write.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148357

Only problem with SSD is that I can't afford enough storage space for all the FSX addons I use.  I'm thinking about getting an SSD for my boot drive and ARMA 2, then using a RAID 0 with 2 7200 HDDs for all my fsx stuff.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027198-283.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/seagate-momentus-xt-500gb/4505-9998_7-34109211.html

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#41]
If you spend a bit more microcenter has the 2600k for $280, which is basically 2x the cpu the 2500k is. The 2600k has 8 logical cores. The 250k has 4.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you spend a bit more microcenter has the 2600k for $280, which is basically 2x the cpu the 2500k is. The 2600k has 8 logical cores. The 250k has 4.

Yea, That's what I'm planning on doing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#44]
The 2500k.  Thank us later.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I thought games maxed out at 3 cores?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#46]
What did you end up getting?

Just an FYI, it looks like the new Intel chip has some bugs and was recalled til April.

I might just breakdown and go with the AMD 1090T for Price vs Use.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Just an FYI, it looks like the new Intel chip has some bugs and was recalled til April.

It's the chipset inside Intel's 67 motherboards.......NOT intel's cpu processor.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cougar-point-sandy-bridge-sata-error,12108.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4146/gigabyte-announces-6series-motherboard-replacement-program

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Interesting. I thought it was the chip directly. Why would Intel pull the actual chips if only some of the MBs are the problem?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cougar-point-sandy-bridge-sata-error,12108.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4146/gigabyte-announces-6series-motherboard-replacement-program

I ended up getting the 2500K and I also have one of the P67 MBs. Haven't installed it yet, but I did open the box and check it out. Maybe I should return it....

ETA: Just checked my receipt, they only accept returns or defective products. However, The MB comes with a 3 year warranty, so if it fails before then, I'll just get a new one from them. And it only affects the SATA 3G ports. That leaves 4 SATA 6GB ports for me to use, I think that will work just fine.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top