Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless he returned all the stuff he took from you, he still owes a debt. Probation is weak unless there's some restitution involved.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If a guy really turned around and wants to lead the straight and narrow, he'll understand that he needs to pay his dues.

Que sera, sera.
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking.  Part of turning your life around is owning up to your past mistakes and paying for them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Let the justice system decide his fate and don't lose sleep over it.

His actions that night are what need to be judged, not what he has done since.

If he has truly turned his life around then he should be able to accept his punishment and continue living the right way whether in jail or free.

Your family should be compensated for your financial loss and it sounds like you have handled the aftermath pretty well.

Good luck to you and yours.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm on the "Fuck him, let him rot in jail" train, myself.  He is lucky to
be among the living.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Any update to this OP?

Ed
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The only difference here is he's already working a job--not "becoming a student" or getting a job "next week."  I am the absolute biggest thief hater, but this guy sounds like the unicorn, and I hate to see a taxpayer turned into a leeching convict.  Maybe five years probation (with regular drug tests) and full restitution would serve us all well.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him. They are all "getting their lives together"

The only difference here is he's already working a job--not "becoming a student" or getting a job "next week."  I am the absolute biggest thief hater, but this guy sounds like the unicorn, and I hate to see a taxpayer turned into a leeching convict.  Maybe five years probation (with regular drug tests) and full restitution would serve us all well.  

As pissed as I get when I see thieves (and other criminals) get off with little or nothing, I have to agree with this. If he actually has turned around and become a productive citizen then prison is counterproductive in the long run. Full restitution and probation that reverts to a long prison sentence if he violates is the best option. If he has truly turn around he'll be fine. If he hasn't then he'll violate in short order and end up in prison after all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If a guy really turned around and wants to lead the straight and narrow, he'll understand that he needs to pay his dues.

Que sera, sera.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1. Never saw him, he was in and out pretty quick.  I didn't hear him till he was unlocking the back door to escape.
2.  I was naive.  My guns at the time were stored at my parents old house.
3. I didn't have a plan.  I was just stunned at the time.

Much has changed since then.  Layered defense that is improved upon as funds allow.  CHL, training, practice.  Total mindset shift and change.  I wish to live a peaceful and safe life.  God help your ass if you break into my current home.  There will be many accurate rounds fired from a superior position.  I'm prepared and striving for more improvement.  Sometimes it sucks that that is they way the worlds gotta be this way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why didn't you shoot him when you had the chance?

1. Never saw him, he was in and out pretty quick.  I didn't hear him till he was unlocking the back door to escape.

Much has changed since then.  Layered defense that is improved upon as funds allow.  CHL, training, practice.  Total mindset shift and change.  I wish to live a peaceful and safe life.  God help your ass if you break into my current home.  There will be many accurate rounds fired from a superior position.  I'm prepared and striving for more improvement.  Sometimes it sucks that that is they way the worlds gotta be this way.

Patton did everything he could to prepare his troops and plan perfectly,  but he knew he was going to lose good men. We cannot guarantee safety. I hope you are working toward finding peace in security rather than forever trying to improve security in a search for a guarantee that will never come. I don't mean to dissuade you, only to encourage you to look at it from the perspective of what the goal really is; I hope you sleep well at night.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
tag...
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que sera, sera.

This.

This.  If he's truly turned his life around with Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous or whatever and he's serious about it, he's missed some folks on step 9.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
No way he's getting jail time.

Sounds like you got an inexpensive lesson in preparedness out of it too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Unless he returned all the stuff he took from you, he still owes a debt. Probation is weak unless there's some restitution involved.
View Quote
This scumbag took the security and peace of mind away from OP and his family when he broke into his house.  That innocence can never be repaired or returned.

Seen it many times.  It changes people.

F that guy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
In for sentencing updates.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think I would be good with leaving him employed provided he eats water and beans until full restitution is made.  I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did your insurance cover what you lost?

Yes, after paying a deductible.

Prosecutor is going for restitution for myself and insurance company in addition to jail time/probation.

Still won't by peace of mind back though.

I think I would be good with leaving him employed provided he eats water and beans until full restitution is made.  I think.

That's fine and dandy BUT the Judge/Courts will say well he only makes xxxx per month and he needs xx to pay his rent and x for car payment and another x for food so OP sorry you only get $25 per month for 87 years.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but if I truly believed that he's remorseful, I would forgive him and drop charges.  To make me believe that, he would have to admit guilt and offer to pay back twice my losses.

I believe in second chances.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This scumbag took the security and peace of mind away from OP and his family when he broke into his house.  That innocence can never be repaired or returned.

F that guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F that guy.

Fuck thieves, for sure, but innocence of the victim?  Was the OP 7?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Residential burglary alone - Hang the motherfucker in six hours, not years.

Occupied residential burglary? Fuck this guy. He would have killed the OP/wife if confronted.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#19]
5 years hard labor in the Mississippi Delta.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
so how did the trial go?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#21]
All burglars get here is probation.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
so how did the trial go?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#23]
We had one guy move into town go on his own little crime spree. His parents swore he was innocent even when I caught him inside the closed store. He only got 3 months for that and wanted me to drop the charges so he could go into the Army.

I said the Army would still be there in 3 months. Fuck him.

Ed
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so how did the trial go?

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Safe thread?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]
You keep mentioning "peace of mind", naivety, world change, thought process, etc....  To be frank - good.  This guy did you a favor in a round about way.  No one ever thinks bad things will happen to them until it happens.  Then they want to get serious about protecting themselves/family/etc.  You got a cheap lesson in how ugly the real world can get.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope you got yourself a dog since then (to alert); dude creeping around in your house and you don't know till he leaves.....scary shit right there.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck that guy.

Where are pics of the safe, btw?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag for update if it happens.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#30]
If his fingerprints were identified because he was "known to the police", that tells me he has a history of getting his fingerprints taken during bookings after being arrested. Your robbery was not his first rodeo.

I wouldn't believe the fairy tale about "turning his life around".

Fuck him. Fuck him hard.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Prosecutor is probably thinking like you.  She said she's normally either cut and dry on prison or probation.  Fucking unicorn,  I want my peace of mind back to when I thought the world wasn't such a bad place. -we know peace of mind isn't ever returning.  I do feel better knowing we get some form of closure out of whatever happens tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him. They are all "getting their lives together"

Prosecutor is probably thinking like you.  She said she's normally either cut and dry on prison or probation.  Fucking unicorn,  I want my peace of mind back to when I thought the world wasn't such a bad place. -we know peace of mind isn't ever returning.  I do feel better knowing we get some form of closure out of whatever happens tomorrow.

You know that as disturbing as this was, now you know what the world is really like. We've all needed wake up calls of different sorts at some point.
So maybe the silver lining is now you have the right mindset and preparedness that will prevent or mitigate future events.
Good doors and locks, cameras and your head on a swivel etc.
Now you will protect your family and yourself properly. This is a good thing. Go with that.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Didn't see. Scouthfsu99  post I guess I'm just parroting is good advice.

Something we see repeated in this thread is he took my peace of mind away from me and my
feeling of security. What he did was slap you in the face and make you realize like all of us that
we don't live in Mr. Rogers neighborhood with rainbows and unicorns. Now the same results could've
been accomplished by an informative well-written pamphlet put in your mailbox.

He does have to be held responsible for his actions. But jail time  might not be the best place for that if he did
turn his life around this'll be a major setback exposing them to the wrong element where  he will learn how to
do things better next time. And also keep him from getting any further employment when he gets out
forcing him back into his old ways. So restitution a long period of probation should work but no guarantees
a minor glitch may put them on the wrong path again that's why the probation is important for a long period of time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why didn't you shoot him when you had the chance?

You know that just about every Democratic voting guy and gal that has this happen goes out and buys a gun.
Having a family to protect can really change people from their idealism.
Now,  getting them to vote differently seems to be the problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#34]
All cleaned up now and holidng a job?  Well, that sounds like the public defender painting a halo around him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I haven't read every post yet. But, I think when someone is sincerely and genuinely remorseful, that this counts for something. I don't think he should be punished as if he was a total unremorseful scumbag. I do think there's a difference. But that doesn't mean all the consequences go away, or he's "owed" that.

Let's see how it all pans out in court.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#36]
It takes a special kind of boldness and willingness to do violence to burglarize an occupied home.

I would move heaven and earth to be there at the sentencing, OP.  I'll guarantee that nobody else cares about your case as much as you do.  If you don't bother to show up, don't be surprised if he gets off lighter than he otherwise would have.  Unless you're OK with that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Does insurance pay back "lost peace of mind"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

6 years ago OP got a cheap lesson in home defense. He gained peace of mind. OP should be thanking home robber.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#38]
10/22/2015 update:

I hadn't heard from Angela, who is prosecuting the case, so I just called her.  Scumbag (Can I name him on here?  I'd gladly post his name.). Is now going to plead GUILTY to F2 Burglary on Wednesday Nov 4 at 1100 hours at the Summit County Courthouse in front of Judge Rowlands.

Angela wants me there to speak, so I'll be looking for a sitter or seeing if wife can take a vacation day.

- Posted in OP as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Six fucking years?

Damn is justice that slow?

I've done two felony trials now and they were both done in less than 12 weeks from the crime.
View Quote

Forensics/PD failed to follow up on the fingerprints they took from the scene in 2009 until July 2015.

Not to pleased with that, but I'll take knowing who scumbag is now.  Better than never being caught.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I hope you got yourself a dog since then (to alert); dude creeping around in your house and you don't know till he leaves.....scary shit right there.

View Quote

Funny thing, he avoided the houses with dogs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
10/22/2015 update:

I hadn't heard from Angela, who is prosecuting the case, so I just called her.  Scumbag (Can I name him on here?  I'd gladly post his name.). Is now going to plead GUILTY to F2 Burglary on Wednesday Nov 4 at 1100 hours at the Summit County Courthouse in front of Judge Rowlands.

Angela wants me there to speak, so I'll be looking for a sitter or seeing if wife can take a vacation day.

- Posted in OP as well.
View Quote

DEFINATELY SHOW UP!  It's a plea, meaning that he has in all probability been offered a tentative sentence recommendation that the state will ask for, (after negotiations between the defense and the prosecutor) that is less than he could face if sentenced by the judge if he was found guilty at a jury trial.  The state will offer the plea to the court which the judge can agree with and impose a sentence with the terms agreed to, or more rarely, he can reject the terms of the plea and send it back for negotiations or trial.  While it's a longshot I have seen victims testify in court that portrayed the state as waxing over some elements of the offense and the judge get a little ticked and reject the terms in the plea.    
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

6 years ago OP got a cheap lesson in home defense. He gained peace of mind. OP should be thanking home robber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In some ways, yes I should "Thank him.".  It led me to AR15.com, and there is a lot of 'gold' to be found amongst the derp here.  Especially in GD.  . There are a lot of smart, intelligent people who offer great advice and those who share life experiences that benefit us all.  I've read a lot, and implemented a lot of good advice into my family's life.  I sleep better now, only thing different is the light, Glock, reload, cell phone and car keys beside my bed.  Better locks, an alarm, good stuff out of sight......and I could drone on for awhile.

Prepare, prepare, prepare.  You'll never know if you'll be truly ready, but I'm in a better place than before.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Yikes, I hadn't googled for his mugshot.  Big boy!

Mugshot
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Mugshot
View Quote

6-4" 260lbs and looks like a dead eyed psychopath.

Brandon Joseph Donel of Stow, OH.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Changed his path or got better at it and hasn't been caught?
View Quote

yeah
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Six fucking years?

I've done two felony trials now and they were both done in less than 12 weeks from the crime.
View Quote

Depends on a lot of circumstances. Within 12 weeks is blazing fast.

A misdemeanor with a public defender can go months as he tries to rack up hours...
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Here is his arrest/court record.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Mugshot
View Quote

That guy could do some damage to some old lady late at night that caught him in her house.

Ed

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Six fucking years?

View Quote

Stow is a pretty small town. Not 1 stoplight and gas station podunk, but its kinda rural off the beaten path a bit. I could easily see them botching the investigation.

Disclaimer: Im not police and I sure the Stow PD are all professionals. All Im sayin is its a smaller town away from any big cities. No disrespect.

ETA: If it were me OP Id want him to receive the maximum for violating the sanctity of your home. Thats a big deal to me.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top