Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A special about the 650-lb woman in NC who was going to Richmond, VA for bariatric surgery aired on TV the other night. It was very sad.

I blogged about marriage and obese women on my blog, but I won't repost that here. It was just about the price of poontang --- if you can actually find it under there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]

I just got a mental image of hundreds of ARF "Jabbas" sitting around their computers grumbling about how the orignal poster doesn't know jack shit about being Big Boned.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, you could make a whole lot of soap with these people!

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A special about the 650-lb woman in NC who was going to Richmond, VA for bariatric surgery aired on TV the other night. It was very sad.

I blogged about marriage and obese women on my blog, but I won't repost that here. It was just about the price of poontang --- if you can actually find it under there.

Language, lady!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
sorry folks but this is nothing new. i was seeing this in the 80's/90's on  rescue units. more than once i had to rent a delivery truck to haul a fatass to the hospital on a matress because they wouldn't fit in an ambulance.

once i had to take a carbide saw to a door frame of a condo to remove a 700+lb body that died in it's sleep 2 weeks earlier. he had never left the condo in over 5 years because he physically could not FIT THROUGH THE DAMN DOOR!

I have done the same sorts of things with my VFD.

Oh and morbidly obese people fucking stink.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Damn, you could make a whole lot of soap with these people!

I'm good for a couple crates of soap.

Lord knows I need to loose some but damd at least I make an effort to live healthy.  Park as far as possible from the door when shoping so I have to walk the distance and such.

But fuck if I can't see my feet or bend to tie my shoelaces it's time to get some serious help.

Now ahave any of you guys seen  my twinkey and ho-ho's.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]

They cremate dead elephants in India…

The cremation of hugely obese persons is actually prohibited in certain countries by international treaty because the light and heat sets off the nuclear missle launch detection satellites.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Out OR tables are limited to about 350lbs as are most equipment.

CTs and MRIs are a big problem because the hole is too small for these large folks.  We routinely send them to the Detroit Zoo.  They have one that can scan hippos and elephants.  

Yup we use our loading dock scale all the time. Kind of sad.

Scanners I've used were limited to 300 and 350 lbs but there are supposed to be Scanners now for 500 lb patients. When I've hit the limit of the table we've had to use hospital beds to raise them up then slide them over to the Scanner table because the lifts on the table wouldn't raise them up to the gantry.
At one hospital I worked at it was not an uncommon thing to get pts in the 300 to 600 pound range and I've had to get radiographs on a 800 lb patient with regular frequency.
The specialty beds they use are much larger than a standard door jamb- easily 4 ft wide. When they are that large they sleep in a sitting position and the bed looks very similar to something you would see in a gym minus the weight tower. Two posts up front that they sit between with big c- grips welded to the posts.
As a side note I think people are just geting bigger period as in height and girth. There are a lot of big people that aren't obese and weight well over 250 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OK, I have a good one.

We get a call from the ER that a lady is pregnant.  They cant get her out of the EMS unit because there is no bed strong or large enough for her in the ER.

Not to mention it took 6 firemen to put her into the unit in the first place.  We estimated she weighed 900lbs or so.

First question,  the most obivous one.  Who had sex with her.  Considering the responses to some of our threads with ID hit it! Its most likely one of our more desperate member.  What it has been several years since Taxman even spoke to a women?

Second where is the hole?  Before you guys say roll her in flour, she is TOO BIG to roll. Kind of jabba like immobile.

Third, you better have looooonnnnnng dick or you are going to be slaming fat and never reach the good stuff.

But anyway, you should have heard the sigh or relief when the lab called and said her hormones were normal and not pregnant.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the saddest thing is the kids.  We have a girl here in our school who has to be at least 300 pounds.  She is in the 7th grade.  Her parents [who are both over weight] have her play sports to try to get her to loose weight but she shows up to practice with bags of doritos and bags of candy.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Out OR tables are limited to about 350lbs as are most equipment.

CTs and MRIs are a big problem because the hole is too small for these large folks.  We routinely send them to the Detroit Zoo.  They have one that can scan hippos and elephants.  

Yup we use our loading dock scale all the time. Kind of sad.

Scanners I've used were limited to 300 and 350 lbs but there are supposed to be Scanners now for 500 lb patients. When I've hit the limit of the table we've had to use hospital beds to raise them up then slide them over to the Scanner table because the lifts on the table wouldn't raise them up to the gantry.
At one hospital I worked at it was not an uncommon thing to get pts in the 300 to 600 pound range and I've had to get radiographs on a 800 lb patient with regular frequency.
The specialty beds they use are much larger than a standard door jamb- easily 4 ft wide. When they are that large they sleep in a sitting position and the bed looks very similar to something you would see in a gym minus the weight tower. Two posts up front that they sit between with big c- grips welded to the posts.
As a side note I think people are just geting bigger period as in height and girth. There are a lot of big people that aren't obese and weight well over 250 lbs.

Yeah, that's true...

I'm 6' 4" and before I started bodybuilding I was skeletal at 180...
My brother was skeletal at 200...

We both weigh about 225 now.

But the men on both sides of my family have always been huge and athletic, going back a few hundred years...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think the saddest thing is the kids.  We have a girl here in our school who has to be at least 300 pounds.  She is in the 7th grade.  Her parents [who are both over weight] have her play sports to try to get her to loose weight but she shows up to practice with bags of doritos and bags of candy.  

I think that people letting their kids gets like that is akin to child abuse.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
My ER-Doc buddy is always telling me stories about hog-body patients - like needing two aides to hold a belly out of the way for a pelvic exam. He says that above about 500 pounds, they can't even wipe thier own asses, and just live like cows.

He wishes he had chosen a different career  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the mental images!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Those people have no self respect.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#18]
We just had an article on the new larger guerneys that Methodist Hospital in San Antonio is getting to accommodate patients like this.  I clicked just to see if it was the same article -- I should have known that this isn't limited to the second fattest city in the nation (San Antonio).
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#19]

so . . .

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GTOJudge885/Gifs/ttiwwop7cp.gif

so . . .

www.drlinder.com/images/media_cs_01.jpg

It looks like a baluga whale with legs sticking out of its mouth.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Man...What a pannus! That's got to be at least 75 pounds of tissue to take off.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#23]
They should have a special pavillion to treat them. Make it look like a barn.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Is that fat
His arms and legs seem to be unproportionally thin compared to his belly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I just HAD to go Google on what a pannus was.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Something else that is really fun is trying to intubate one of these huge fuckers when they have coded.

Also back in my hospital days i was assisting a 500lber to the restroom and he fell on me, that really sucked for about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just HAD to go Google on what a pannus was.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/eyebleach1.png

Note to self, never Google anything that I read about on ARFCOM, if it has the slightest potential of being something gross
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#30]

She looks happier than a slob pig in shit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Every time I see a fat fucker on the street , all I can think about is the poor helth care provider who is going to hurt their selves pushing and pulling on 'em.
I don't care if you convinced yourself it's a glandular problem, you are nasty and a burden on society on top of all the other crap I'm not going to list.
We have a regular at my place of work who is over 600 pounds. If he stands to piss, the CNAs and nurses put towels and a wash basin on the floor, and his stalagtite-like fat rolls drip piss like water from the roof of a cave. He lives on the floor of his trailer, has UPS bring him food, has a guy come over once a week to rake out his pig sty, shits and pisses in used food containers, ect.
Years of nursing has made me really hate morbidly obese individuals.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Every time I see a fat fucker on the street , all I can think about is the poor helth care provider who is going to hurt their selves pushing and pulling on 'em.
I don't care if you convinced yourself it's a glandular problem, you are nasty and a burden on society on top of all the other crap I'm not going to list.
We have a regular at my place of work who is over 600 pounds. If he stands to piss, the CNAs and nurses put towels and a wash basin on the floor, and his stalagtite-like fat rolls drip piss like water from the roof of a cave. He lives on the floor of his trailer, has UPS bring him food, has a guy come over once a week to rake out his pig sty, shits and pisses in used food containers, ect.

Can you imagine the boiling grease running out of that guy if his trailer caught fire?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#34]
There was a family I recall when I was in high school.   They were all so obese they had real trouble moving.  The parents each had to be 400 ot 500ish.  The 8th grade daughter was like 6 foot, 350; she towered over her classmates.  The 6th (or so) grade son was about 250.  Every day they got picked up from school by both parents in a little compact sedan.  

The shocks bottomed out, of course.

For crying out loud, I understand that some people are genetically predispositioned to have slow metabolisms and store lots of fat.      That's no excuse - STOP FUCKING EATING!  Take vitamins and eat low or no calorie foods with fiber; you already have a year's worth of rations oscillating around in your ass.

Also, "health activists" bitch about obesity plaguing the poor because they "can't afford healthy food."    News flash people, JUNK FOOD IS EXPENSIVE.  Fast food is even more expensive.  I've had idiots tell me that "healthy food" means all that nonfat and lowfat processed shit and organically grown crap that costs an arm and a leg.  What the hell happened to cooking and eating real, NORMAL food?.   I don't think poor people are fat because they're poor, I think they're poor because they blow their money on junkfood and whoppers, and therefore are fat.

ETA:

"Now go away, you silly English Knigget, or I shall taunt you a second time!"          
thunk, TWANG!

RUN AWAY!!!

Hey, wait a minute...  Team member?       Who'd I fuck to pull that off?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you imagine the boiling grease running out of that guy if his trailer caught fire?

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I have to wonder... how are they gonna carry massively obese people in the back of an ambulance? Seems like they wouldn't fit in the double rear doors... O.o
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I say this is a national crisis! It isnt just affacting the fat fucks anymore it affects everyone! Therefore i propose a ban on food! All people who must consume food must now do it though prescription from a liscened physican. Of course there will be a problem afterwards, The blackmarket in foodstuffs smuggeled in from Colombia and Canada will decimate the inner cities, so a new GOv't task force must be created to battle this problem, the FEA, Food Enforcement Administration. They shall be called Fooks instead of Narcs. They can make midnight raids on "twinkie houses" where porkers are found eating illegally supplied by some sick food dealer!
Then it can trickle down into popular culture. The next James Bond movie will be where he tries to defeat "Carlos" A evil Mexican food dealer who tries to smuggle in Burritos disguised as Pinyatas!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have to wonder... how are they gonna carry massively obese people in the back of an ambulance? Seems like they wouldn't fit in the double rear doors... O.o

Thats not your first problem.  The first one is that they will not fit on the gurney.   The 900lb lady had to be put on a tarp.  SIX firefighter grabbed the tarp and had to manhandle her onto the rig floor.  They had to put the gurney on another unit.

I have had EMS and paramedic guys tell me they will use vans or trucks if they are too big.  They just ride with them in the back.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I guess I shouldn't laugh at all this.....................

Sorry, can't help it.

Reminds me of someone who told me about their internship who told me they got a funny x-ray from a big gal. Turned out to be a twinkie "hidden in a fold." Her husband had tried to get her to quit eating so much so she started hiding food.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#40]
so how many of posters on this site do you think are 350 or above?

75%?

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Theres a reason  ambulances look like beer trucks these days.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
it always baffles me how people can let themselves go like that.  i mean, if you can't see your feet, shouldnt it be a red flag?  have some self discipline.  it's not genetics, it's not a conspiracy, it's not the media: just don't eat so fucking much!

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#43]
So what's your stance on diabetics?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So what's your stance on diabetics?

Don't like'm they taste funny.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't believe this thread hasn't picked up the usual apologists.  First thing in weight control is what goes in the mouth.  I've read threads here how those who claimed they ate very little would cry and beg for food when in the hospital on a 1000 calorie a day diet.

Here ya go.   I have a good friend who is a kidney transplant  survivor of twenty years.  Takes immunosuppressant drugs and prednisone every day.  The steroids caused steroid induced diabetes.  She got tired of the extra weight she was carrying around.  While she was 'round' she was nothing like the hungry heifers I see at Old Country Buffet.  Her doctors didn't think she'd have any luck losing weight due to the prednisone.  Her job is demanding and long hours.  No matter if it is a 12 hour day, she goes to the gym before she goes home or eats.  She worked up a diet with some medical people that wouldn't endanger the kidney.  She has lost over 75 pounds in the past two years, and they had to reduce the amount of insulin to almost nothing.  She has focus and determination well above most I know.

I was having lunch at a restaurant the other day and two women I refer to as my dependents since I'm sure they are on some public assistance are there with their kids.  These women are huge.  They are known for how long they will stay at the table.   The poor kid was in a high chair when I got there. An hour later he started to fuss.  So the 'mother' starts stuffing food in the kids mouth to shut him up.  As I was getting up to leave, the kid threw up all over the high chair, etc.  Guess that happens when you force feed a human long enough.

Bottom line, if you are that over weight, do something about it.  Get a food scale and weigh your portions. Count your calories.  Eat less, move more.  There are even exercises people in wheel chairs can do.  I've watched them when I'd visit my mom at the nursing home.  I'm tired of hearing 'victim' reasons.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GTOJudge885/Gifs/ttiwwop7cp.gif

so . . .

www.drlinder.com/images/media_cs_01.jpg

It looks like a baluga whale with legs sticking out of its mouth.

Quick and dirty...

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Another point in all this is ......the Accomplices.

If you work your way up to 800++ lbs. there gets to be a point where natural negative feedback kicks in...you're too damn fat to make it to the frige.

That's where the accomplices come in. These are the folks that spoon feed Tubby that 10 lb. bucket of ice cream "snack" after helping them gobble down that 20 lb crate of Sam's Club macaroni & cheese .

Kinda like a Terri Shiavo case in reverse.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a hard time respecting obese people. Personally I think that the level of health and hygiene a person maintains says more about them than anything that they could every say. I do not think that is that hard to maintain a reasonable body size, like previously stated, if you cant see your feet that is a definite red flag. UGH fat people, at least they make me look great by comparison.

James
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Also, "health activists" bitch about obesity plaguing the poor because they "can't afford healthy food."    News flash people, JUNK FOOD IS EXPENSIVE.  Fast food is even more expensive.  I've had idiots tell me that "healthy food" means all that nonfat and lowfat processed shit and organically grown crap that costs an arm and a leg.  What the hell happened to cooking and eating real, NORMAL food?.   I don't think poor people are fat because they're poor, I think they're poor because they blow their money on junkfood and whoppers, and therefore are fat.

I think that a lot of the fat poor have to do with poor eating habits, meaning that they dont necessarily eat three square meals a day, but rather they go through binging and starving cycles based on when they have access to food. I know that I do that  mainly because I am lazy and dont eat until I am really hungry even though I live quite comfortably.

But they also are not likely to have a membership to their local Ballys Total Fitness so that rules out the exercise side of things, right?

James
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#50]
This disturbing trend is yet another example of our American society losing its impulse for self-preservation.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top