Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You had twins.  You are in for a helluva ride.  She was probably trying to see if you had a support network.

My twins turn five next month btw.  Congrats.

I don't know that she was concerned about our support network.  I think she was more concerned that I named the twins Walker and Texas Ranger.  

We just want to get them home soon and I'll be damned if I'll be bothered by anyone, much less a social worker, on the way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You had twins. You are in for a helluva ride. She was probably trying to see if you had a support network.

My twins turn five next month btw. Congrats.

I don't know that she was concerned about our support network. I think she was more concerned that I named the twins Walker and Texas Ranger.

We just want to get them home soon and I'll be damned if I'll be bothered by anyone, much less a social worker, on the way.

LOL.....good fer y'all!!  
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thins thread makes me glad I had my kids 12 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife has been told not to tell them anything!

The hospital refused to discharge my youngest son (in 2009) until we (my wife and I) had taken a 2 hour CPR course. I told them that by state law, they were kidnapping my son. After a 30 minute conversation and a threat to call my lawyer, they let the little bundle of joy come home!

I am so tired of the libtards in our society!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
My daughters were both born early, one two months'ish early and the youngest was three weeks early. During the first one my wife was tranfered to UAMS in Little Rock once the local hospital decided they were out of their depth. During the admission process a Social Worker came by the room and basically accused me of spousal abuse and my wife of drug abuse all in one conversation as the cause for the problems my wife was having carrying to term. My wife told her to FOAD and I asked her to leave the room. A different one came back after the delivery and did the same line of questioning but, more subtle. Pissed me off....
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is that since your wife had a couple of premies, Social Services perked their head up and started wondering if this happened because of some form of irresponsible behavior on the part of your wife that would lead them to believe that your home is unfit for raising children.

They may not be out to get you, but she didn't come by because it's standard procedure. You are, or at least were suspect.

Actually, I read the boys' charts and an entry on a checklist was 'Social Services Consult'.  I asked the nurse about that and she said that it was standard for everyone.  Make sure the parents applied for birth certificates, knew about WIC, etc...

I just think she is being more intrusive than I feel is neccessary.

Next time you read about some incident involving a newborn homicide by some low-life family member , you'll probably know where such investigative interviews  as were described originate.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You had twins.  You are in for a helluva ride.  She was probably trying to see if you had a support network.

My twins turn five next month btw.  Congrats.

I don't know that she was concerned about our support network.  I think she was more concerned that I named the twins Walker and Texas Ranger.  

The social worker for my hospital only meets with the patients if its requested by the staff, Doc, or the patient themselves.  Although the hospital I am attached to does not deliver babies.  The bigger hospital up north did not send in the social worker after my twins were born.  
I would imagine the SW for the hospital you were at has a policy requiring them to speak to everyone (Just a guess).

As for Walker and Texas Ranger.  I tried to use those names as well.  My wife shut me down.  So I settled with Gladiator and Skull Crusher.  
Unfortunatly, every time I brought those names up.  My wife said that I was giving her a headache.  (I still call them that when I want to get her goat)
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#8]
We're heading back to the hospital and hopefully will ask the right questions today.  I'm significantly more at ease with the situation than I was yesterday.  But just because I may be paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Last Friday my loving wife gave me two beautiful (if a bit early) baby boys.  After the wife got discharged from the hospital on Monday, we've been spending a number of hours each day in the NICU to spend some time with the boys.  Today, however, the hospital social worker stopped by while I was holding one of my sons and introduced herself.

When she said "Social Worker", my demeanor evidently reflected both surprise and displeasure with being bothered, especially by social services.  She noticed, quipped "What?" and started asking my wife some questions.  These questions were primarily about the pregnancy and prenatal care and whatnot.  All the information she was asking for I had personally witnessed my wife providing to other medical personnel over a half dozen times in the previous week, and was being checked off of a form the social worker had in hand.

On the drive home, my wife and I discussed this and we both found it odd that she was seemingly asking irrelevant questions (regarding medical history with her only being a social worker) and asking for information that she already had or could get from a file.  I mentioned my general distrust of the whole process and after reading stories on here, related that I believe social workers prone to go tilting at windmills.  My wife said the social worker would probably call to 'check-in' or clear something up.  Sure enough, tonight as we sat down for dinner, the social worker called to ask about a particular medication the wife had taken during preganancy, how many children the wife had before, and how her evening was going.  

So, riddle me this:

1. Why the fuck a social worker would need medical information about my wife.  I'm under the impression that information such as that is the sole dominion of medical personnel (of which she is not one), and in general is none of a social worker's business.

2. Why are these questions being asked when I KNOW that the information being requested is in my wife's file at the same hospital, and is definitely annotated on my boys' records as well?  I know the social worker not only had access to the records, but likely had a copy in hand?

3.  Why the hell would a social worker call in the evening in order to 'verify' seemingly innocuous information that likely could have been found upon cursory review of the aforementioned files or asked at a later dat

4. Am I being paranoid in distrusting this woman?

No, you are not being paranoid.  Did she ever volunteer, or did you ever ask, what her authority is to require this information from you and/or your wife?

I share medical information with my doctor and my doctor only.  If a "social worker" asked me for anything - and I mean anything - I would politely decline to respond.  I don't care if it's "hospital protocol" or whatever they want to call it, it's my information and I'm not inclined to share it with someone whom I don't know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I only skimmed this thread, so forgive me if my post is parroting what others have already stated.

I'm currently a medical social work (almost three years) and was a marriage and family therapist for five years prior to my current gig.  I'm actually in the hospital ER at the moment, so my post has to be brief.

We have SWs in our FAMILY BIRTH CENTER and the NICU.  I never cover those areas, as I'm an MFT by training and policies (state, I think) do not allow an MFT to cover those floors; however, I do have to cover them if absolutely needed.  So, while I am not fully versed how they do things there, I do know that the SW should always introduce themselves and tell you why they are there making contact with you.  At least, that's how I do it as a fullt-time FLOAT social worker.  What you described did seem a bit weird to me, but you could of straight out asked her what her purpose was in her making contact and if there were any concerns.  I'm all about being transparent, unless there's something crazy going and it would more prudent to take a more covert approach, which is not typical.  

At any rate, SWs are typically called into action on the FBC/NICU floors when the mother has tested positive for drugs, there is abuse occurring or there is some crazy ass shit going on at home that will put the kid in harm's way.  Makes sense, no?  It's the NURSES on those floors that tend to go bat shit crazy over small shit, not our SWs.  So, they end up dealing with A LOT of non-issues, but, hey, that's the way it goes.  

I LOVE my job, as I don't have to carry a case load like I did before and help people when they need it the most, especially when trauma cases come into the ER or someone is dying.  I'm there to offer support, information guidance.  Plus, I get to see crazy shit and how crazy it can be out there on the streets.  Plus, there are A LOT of pro-gun people that I enjoying talking to.  And, I get paid WAAAAY more at this gig, which I love doing.

Take care, brother, and just ask direct questions next time if you feel that something is not kosher.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's a link to a cool research paper written by a student about how social workers played an instrumental role in selecting victims for Nazi extermination.

Social Workers are not inherently good.  They are government stooges who will fuck over whomever they are ordered to fuck over.  Their only interest is in themselves.

Oh, shit!  I'm a medical social worker and didn't know that I should be doing the above!  I didn't get the memo!  
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
No prior CPS issues as that would neccessitate the requisite children; these are our first.  We are both degreed professionals and have this fucking situation on lock.  My wife is going to get to the bottom of this tomorrow, since we'll be seeing the boys in the morning.  Introductions are one thing. Saying "hey, here's what I do and if you need me, call" is one thing.  Calling during dinner time to see how my wife's evening is going and asking about a thyroid medication that has nothing to do with either social work or the condition of my twins is out in fucking left field.  

I've tentatively placed the social worker in the "Man-hating thunder-cunt" category until she is proven benign.  I'll let the wife handle it as long as I don't hear the social worker asking about guns in the house.  Then I get to come unglued.

I wouldn't.

Social workers hold all the cards. If they want your kids, they can pretty much take them away.

Uh, not really.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a link to a cool research paper written by a student about how social workers played an instrumental role in selecting victims for Nazi extermination.

Social Workers are not inherently good.  They are government stooges who will fuck over whomever they are ordered to fuck over.  Their only interest is in themselves.

Oh, shit!  I'm a medical social worker and didn't know that I should be doing the above!  I didn't get the memo!  

That's cuz they're not gearing up for an extermination at the moment. Just collecting information for their files. Continue doing your job and conforming to evolving policy as it is handed down.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cuz they're not gearing up for an extermination at the moment. Just collecting information for their files. Continue doing your job and conforming to evolving policy as it is handed down.

Perfect.  You have now been identified as a possible agent against the state.  IP information being uploaded to state mainframe.  Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow. Lots of derp in this thread.
1) Licensed clinical social worker's or medical social workers are a part of the medical team and at least at a lot of good hospital's meet with every inpatient admission or those directed by nursing or medical staff. They are often called to assist to help with community resources, times for coping, etc.
2) They generally have full access to the chart and all labs just as nursing or medical staff would
3) They can not just "take your kids". As someone who has seen a LCSW call CPS for someone who basically strangled their kid in front of a hospital employee and later ended up walking out with their kids in their custody
4) A lot of times social workers are tasked to trend things for either the hospital or pharmaceutical companies. Here is a high risk OB who is taking medication and they may be trending hypothyroidism and high risk OB cases or the sort.
5) A lot of SW"s will follow up via phone to give you one more chance to speak with them if necessary. From your post it sounds like you may be a tad bit overbearing so perhaps one of the nursing or medical staff asked one of them to speak with your wife to ensure there is nothing else there.

Thats all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#16]
In the clinic I work at we have 2 social workers.  Our clinic specifically deals with patients afflicted with a chronic and non curable Neurological condition.  The 2 social workers do alot of work with patients in regards to helping them with many different things.   Things like helping them get handicap placards, help with insurance, getting Durable Medical goods (powerchairs, etc.), coordinate other medical services outside of our clinic (infusions, PT/OT), and thats just the tip of the iceberg.  They have the same access to protected health information that I do (I work in administration for the clinic), the doctors, and the nurses.  

So i can at least tell you that, no, there is no violation for them to have access to medical records as it is necessary in many cases for them to do their job.  

As to what specifically their role is to the hospital, I couldn't tell you as that will vary from institution to institution.

in our clinic they are NOT employees of State Social Services.  They are employees of our clinic hired by the Medical director.  

eta: and holy shit there is alot of retard in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#17]
For some reason we had a social worker come visit us after our daughter was born.  It so happened when my wife was asleep.  Her original reason for being there  was to ask if we needed assistance, but when she started asking questions about the home environment I told her to pound sand and don't come back without a warrant.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll take "Never invite the man into your life for $1,000" Alex.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#19]
You're a new dad to two delicate babies, and you have a wife recovering from surgery.

Your fucking JOB is to be paranoid.

Her fucking job as a hospital employee does not revolve around her understanding that fact, but it's included among her duties.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Last Friday my loving wife gave me two beautiful (if a bit early) baby boys.  After the wife got discharged from the hospital on Monday, we've been spending a number of hours each day in the NICU to spend some time with the boys.  Today, however, the hospital social worker stopped by while I was holding one of my sons and introduced herself.

When she said "Social Worker", my demeanor evidently reflected both surprise and displeasure with being bothered, especially by social services.  She noticed, quipped "What?" and started asking my wife some questions.  These questions were primarily about the pregnancy and prenatal care and whatnot.  All the information she was asking for I had personally witnessed my wife providing to other medical personnel over a half dozen times in the previous week, and was being checked off of a form the social worker had in hand.

On the drive home, my wife and I discussed this and we both found it odd that she was seemingly asking irrelevant questions (regarding medical history with her only being a social worker) and asking for information that she already had or could get from a file.  I mentioned my general distrust of the whole process and after reading stories on here, related that I believe social workers prone to go tilting at windmills.  My wife said the social worker would probably call to 'check-in' or clear something up.  Sure enough, tonight as we sat down for dinner, the social worker called to ask about a particular medication the wife had taken during preganancy, how many children the wife had before, and how her evening was going.  

So, riddle me this:

1. Why the fuck a social worker would need medical information about my wife.  I'm under the impression that information such as that is the sole dominion of medical personnel (of which she is not one), and in general is none of a social worker's business.

2. Why are these questions being asked when I KNOW that the information being requested is in my wife's file at the same hospital, and is definitely annotated on my boys' records as well?  I know the social worker not only had access to the records, but likely had a copy in hand?

3.  Why the hell would a social worker call in the evening in order to 'verify' seemingly innocuous information that likely could have been found upon cursory review of the aforementioned files or asked at a later dat

1. None. I have never heard of  asocial worker coming into a hospital situation without them being consulted.
2. She shouldn't have access to the records unless there is reason. It sounds like a HIPPA violation to me.
3. None at all
4. I would distrust her too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

They are government stooges Well, except for the ones that work for non-governmental hospitals.

Their only interest is in themselves. That does not jibe with being a government stooge.

One size does not fit all.

I do it for free as a hobby.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#22]
This thread is damn near full retard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry. HIIPA violation.

eta: Sorry. Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is that since your wife had a couple of premies, Social Services perked their head up and started wondering if this happened because of some form of irresponsible behavior on the part of your wife that would lead them to believe that your home is unfit for raising children.

They may not be out to get you, but she didn't come by because it's standard procedure. You are, or at least were suspect.

Actually, I read the boys' charts and an entry on a checklist was 'Social Services Consult'.  I asked the nurse about that and she said that it was standard for everyone.  Make sure the parents applied for birth certificates, knew about WIC, etc...

You don't have to answer her questions, but beware, if she is a .gov employee, that will be a red flag, and she'll start working you even harder.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Just a little snapshot of this morning:

1) Newborn baby stopped breathing.  Parent performed CPR.  Parent and baby in ER.  Sw providing parent with emotional support, called family for parent and helping them cope with the stress they are experiencing.  SW arranging hand off to NICU Sw so that they are aware of what's going on.  No intrusive questions on SWs part, only support and helping them to not "lose it."

2)  Pt with MH issues is out of meds.  Pt from the heartland of the US.  Pt has no insurance.  Sw to help him get connected to MH system and to community resources.

I looooove my job!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed this bit.  This was not "SOP" on our L&D floor.  Sounds like lazy action of a Doc or Nurse who puts that on every record.  

THe thyroid medicaiton bit was also out of her perview.  THat would be more appropriate as a nursing follow up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#27]
If you did not specifically release or authorize her to have the medical records, I think you have something to worry about....
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hospital worker != CPS worker

We use social workers as counselors and case managers: offer counseling to people who don't want to talk to the chaplain, to help find out of hospital support programs the patient is interested in, to find placements for patient in rehab, assisted living, long term care, and hospice. Our hospital doesn't deal much with children though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#29]
About 21 years or so ago, I was spending quality time with my wife and our firstborn in the hospital in their "family room"... My wife was walking back to her room and I was pushing our daughter in her bassinet. A nurse walked by and asked how I liked being a new dad and me, being stupid and trying to be funny, said "oh I hate kids".

I knew I was joking. My wife knew I was joking. The nurse sent a social worker up to see us and we wound up seeing them for a couple weeks because I was in the military and they were following protocol.

I'm keeping my mouth shut in damn hospitals now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Working in social services (i'm a therapist), I can tell you to avoid social workers.         90% of the courses they have to take are about "social justice".    You figure out the rest.

...moreover, the field is awash in former psychology majors.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have worked in a hosp for the past 15 years, but I don't know shit or shinola about social work.  Tag for interest.

Treat her like some hateful bitch who wants to steal your family. That's how my wife was treated when she was a VA social worker by damned near every patient she tried to help. Hospital social workers have god awful jobs.

Congrats on your new family, and I wish you all the best, but be nice to the social worker, she's doing her job like anyone else.

But WHAT exactly is the "Social Workers" job?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
1. Why the fuck a social worker would need medical information about my wife.  I'm under the impression that information such as that is the sole dominion of medical personnel (of which she is not one), and in general is none of a social worker's business. And that kind of situation is a future neglect case in the making.

1. Because babies in the NICU are often born to welfare baby-momma's that do drugs, or have inadequate prenatal care, either because they're poor, ignorant, or they do know where to go, (free clinic programs etc.) but just didn't give a shit and spent 9 months living off Mt.Dew and Twinkies and meth etc. And the hospital may have a standing policy that all NICU cases get a visit from social services.

2. HIPPA. You may be wrong about what she has access to. She may not legally be able to review the medical records, if a non-authorized person does so, it can mean millions in fines for the hospital, and fines and jail-time for the responsible official for those records. Seriously bad ju-ju, even doctors/nurses who are authorized to view records can get into deep shit if they view the records of people who's care they're not involved in. So to get that info LEGALLY, she may need to ask you, and see if you voluntarily give it.

Or... it's just an interview tactic, because the ghetto bird neglect prone parents will lie like dogs, and tell her tons of contradictory info to what she already knows what's in the records.

3. Because they're just sniffing around to see if #1 is the case, and sometimes even if it's a "good family" like yours, having a newborn in NICU may be overwhelming, devastating, (if a good outcome is unlikely) and beyond their ability to cope. So maybe some help might be warranted if the family is having a breakdown over it and they genuinely want to help.

4. I won't say you're wrong for being paranoid over it. Although I suspect the social worker is just shitty at her job in terms of being diplomatic.

A SMART social worker would say, "Hi, I'm a social worker, and the hospital always sends one of us around whenever an infant is in the NICU. Sometimes because it's a poor single mother, but when it's a normal family like yours, we're checking in to see if we can help, if you're overwhelmed. How are the babies doing? Oh? That's so good. I'm glad you're expected to have such a good outcome. That's obviously not always the case for everyone in here. Here's my card..."

Then she chats you up for ten minutes to get the info she wanted, and then she's on her merry way.

I'd just chalk it up to not being that good at her job, and maybe burnout from dealing with shitbird parents all day who are lying about drugs, abuse, neglect etc. Kind of like the cop who's dealt with 10 crackheads earlier in the day, and treats the one clean-cut guy going home after work he pulled over for a moving violation like crap. Doesn't make it right, but one can understand how it happens.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Good post above.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Working in social services (i'm a therapist), I can tell you to avoid social workers.         90% of the courses they have to take are about "social justice".    You figure out the rest.

Your experience in YOUR particular field, maybe so, but you are making broad sweeping (and incorrect) assertions of the field as a whole.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#35]
If she's new at her job she may be running down a checklist and asking absolutely everything on it versus knowing what simply isn't important.

Sounds like she needs to learn some tact.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have worked in a hosp for the past 15 years, but I don't know shit or shinola about social work.  Tag for interest.

Treat her like some hateful bitch who wants to steal your family. That's how my wife was treated when she was a VA social worker by damned near every patient she tried to help. Hospital social workers have god awful jobs.

Congrats on your new family, and I wish you all the best, but be nice to the social worker, she's doing her job like anyone else.

But WHAT exactly is the "Social Workers" job?

To help people in their times of stress.
The particulars depend upon the context.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#37]
All I got from this thread was that a social worker is violating hippos.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

So, riddle me this:

She doesn't NEED it.  She's probably tasked with gathering that information by the state for some dumb ass program.  You have the right to tell her that you decline to answer. Anybody can ask you anything. Doesn't mean you have to answer.

That may not be accurate.  HIPPA generally prevents random other people from accessing your medical records. Further, people tend to ask anyway because lots of people change their answers to questions for no apparent reason.

Don't know.  

Trust but verify.  Ask why she's collecting the information, etc.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Similar thing happened when our second son was born 11 years ago.

Quoted:

Their job is to determine who is an "at risk" parent as in at risk of beating the kids or wife.

Just like cops asking questions over and over it is a method for finding discrepancies that indicate you are a bad parent/spouse.

3.  Why the hell would a social worker call in the evening in order to 'verify' seemingly innocuous information that likely could have been found upon cursory review of the aforementioned files or asked at a later date?
Checking to see if your guard is down at home and when they call they hear signs of conflict or stress that indicate they should stop by for a "follow up" visit the next day.

I was with ours (distrusting) but was polite. She realized she was wasting her time and went off to find wife beaters elsewhere.

Bottom line is the worker is looking for two things. Bad parents they can save by enrolling in .gov parenting classes (don't choke your baby out when they cry, etc.) and leeches they can fill the welfare rolls with to justify their existence.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Didn't read this all, but I can tell you at pretty much any hospital I have worked, that sort of a visit would have been initiated by the staff nurse who admitted your wife.  

She checked a box for a social services "consult".  Our nurses might do that if they have any concerns about things like safety in the home, safety of the child due to various factors.

Not saying that was the case here, for certain - as that hospital might simply initiate a SS consult on all new labor admits.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Why the fuck a social worker would need medical information about my wife.  I'm under the impression that information such as that is the sole dominion of medical personnel (of which she is not one), and in general is none of a social worker's business. And that kind of situation is a future neglect case in the making.

1. Because babies in the NICU are often born to welfare baby-momma's that do drugs, or have inadequate prenatal care, either because they're poor, ignorant, or they do know where to go, (free clinic programs etc.) but just didn't give a shit and spent 9 months living off Mt.Dew and Twinkies and meth etc. And the hospital may have a standing policy that all NICU cases get a visit from social services.

2. HIPPA. You may be wrong about what she has access to. She may not legally be able to review the medical records, if a non-authorized person does so, it can mean millions in fines for the hospital, and fines and jail-time for the responsible official for those records. Seriously bad ju-ju, even doctors/nurses who are authorized to view records can get into deep shit if they view the records of people who's care they're not involved in. So to get that info LEGALLY, she may need to ask you, and see if you voluntarily give it.

Or... it's just an interview tactic, because the ghetto bird neglect prone parents will lie like dogs, and tell her tons of contradictory info to what she already knows what's in the records.

3. Because they're just sniffing around to see if #1 is the case, and sometimes even if it's a "good family" like yours, having a newborn in NICU may be overwhelming, devastating, (if a good outcome is unlikely) and beyond their ability to cope. So maybe some help might be warranted if the family is having a breakdown over it and they genuinely want to help.

4. I won't say you're wrong for being paranoid over it. Although I suspect the social worker is just shitty at her job in terms of being diplomatic.

A SMART social worker would say, "Hi, I'm a social worker, and the hospital always sends one of us around whenever an infant is in the NICU. Sometimes because it's a poor single mother, but when it's a normal family like yours, we're checking in to see if we can help, if you're overwhelmed. How are the babies doing? Oh? That's so good. I'm glad you're expected to have such a good outcome. That's obviously not always the case for everyone in here. Here's my card..."

Then she chats you up for ten minutes to get the info she wanted, and then she's on her merry way.

I'd just chalk it up to not being that good at her job, and maybe burnout from dealing with shitbird parents all day who are lying about drugs, abuse, neglect etc. Kind of like the cop who's dealt with 10 crackheads earlier in the day, and treats the one clean-cut guy going home after work he pulled over for a moving violation like crap. Doesn't make it right, but one can understand how it happens.

This is right on.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Okay, I just got back from the hospital.  One of our sons took a bit of a step back today, but I was able to talk to the nurse manager for the NICU.  The nurse manager actually met us at the isolettes when we walked in because she was told we had a bit of a setback today with one of the boys.  After getting all the info out of the docs and nurses, I asked her for a few minutes.  In her office, after laying out basically what had happened and posing the same questions I posted here, I was able to narrow down a few points.

Social Services consult is a routine thing at the hospital there. No big deal.

The nurse manager didn't know why the SW would be asking about medical info, but because the SW was part of the team, she did have access to HIPAA info in all relevant files (understandable).  However, the SW may have been asking questions that weren't on the boy's records because some info didn't make it over from when my wife was admitted (okay, I get that part.).

The nurse manager did say that it was odd that the SW would call us at home after having spoken to us not 5 hours prior.  She then asked my permission to contact the SW's supervisor to find out what was going on.  I then asked if any SS consult was optional and was told that it was.  I then made it quite clear that the last thing we needed during such a trying time in our children's care was a non-medical lady poking her nose around and tilting at windmills based on whatever agenda she may have.  The nurse manager said she'd handle it and completely understood my distrust of not only the SS process, but the SW herself.  Evidently, the nurse manager's son is FBI counterespionage and she gets the same thing from him all the time.  

In short, problem should be solved and the nurse manager would be requesting any records from the SS for me to review.  The NICU staff here is pretty good and I really like the manager, who really strikes me as a straight shooter that is well-versed in patient rights.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ok, but what exactly is her job in this setting, and who hired her?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sounds like a busy body sticking her nose into peoples' business and calling it "social work."

If I didn't ask for you or hire you, go away.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, but what exactly is her job in this setting, and who hired her?

The hospital hired the social worker to handle aspects of care that the nurses and physicians don't have time for.

What is their purpose in this setting - I'm not sure where you are located, but in my city the main university hospital is the only NICU and surrounding area hospitals often have to refer their high risk patients there.  That means lot of people end up with their newborns in hospitals that are located far from home, and social workers are there to help families find housing, coordinate stays at the hospital, prepare their home for any special concerns with premature kids, etc.

Again most of my experience has been with social workers in med surg floors, but they absolutely have a purpose as part of the care team.  But take  a minute to consider that maybe the black helicopters aren't out to get you just yet.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top