Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are all the "good shoot" guys who originally defended these scumbags?
View Quote

busy getting ready to felony stop you for looking scary.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

broad daylight, yo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the guy who got flash banged as he surrendered and then shot, right? I recall there being questions about why he was rousted  from camping in the desert.

Eta yep. And dafuq  is "open murder"?

broad daylight, yo.

No!  Not broad daylight!!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Doubtful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not guilty after trial.

Nope.  Bubba is gonna have his way with the shooter

Doubtful.

Could go either way, but

1.)That area is full of filthy liberal hippies, who are going to be sympathetic to the deaded homeless guy
2.)This comes at a time when tensions are high about use of excessive force
3.) If there is audio of the officer joking about shooting the guy in the penis, that does not look good
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is this the one where the officer had a 3x magnifier mounted on a flip mount behind his T1? There's a video somewhere.

Here it is.  Just watched it again. He was complying but had been real squirrely and it looked to me that he was reaching to his waist. Cop was nervous and when the guy turned to comply the cop lost sight of his hands. Suicide by cop.

http://youtu.be/6tpAZObNZfI
View Quote

Yeah....ok Waingro.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect demonstration of that axiom.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a big difference between good shoot and murderer.  I think we can almost all agree that in hind sight it wasn't the right decision to shoot him.  I can't say I would convict him of murder though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a big difference between good shoot and murderer.  I think we can almost all agree that in hind sight it wasn't the right decision to shoot him.  I can't say I would convict him of murder though.

I'm inclined to say "bad shoot," mostly because of the way the situation was handled. Perez's only hope of defense is to say he was protecting the K9 handler, which he arguably was. If the "I'm gonna shoot him in the penis" video makes it to trial, though, Sandy is done.

I'm not gonna say "guilty," since the K9 handler may have been in danger. Either way, Sandy is a douche.

I'll leave the verdict for the jury to determine.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps. In the original thread, I stated it looked like they created their own exigency, and forced the issue. There is case law in that regard. Will be interesting to see how this ends up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorta torn with this one..........

Cops had beanbag rounds readily available, they should have just beaned him into submission and then put the dog on him.

What I really do not understand is why (2) office are indited, when there was only one shooter using lethal force.
View Quote

Both shot.  

Not that it helps or hurts but the Officer with the rifle was using his personal rifle with his personal suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember that incident.  I would not have shot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It was murder.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought this was the guy who produced a knife after beginning a surrender...

We'll have to see how this turns out.  Charges don't mean guilty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Especially when they skipped the Grand Jury and Info charged the guy.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lawyers-albuquerque-officers-face-charges-killing-28168619

The criminal charges were the first Brandenburg has brought against officers in a shooting, something for which she has come under scrutiny. She filed the counts via criminal information, which allows her to charge the officers without presenting evidence to a grand jury.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered what goes through apologists' minds before they admit that they were wrong as usual....
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lawyers-albuquerque-officers-face-charges-killing-28168619

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The criminal charges were the first Brandenburg has brought against officers in a shooting, something for which she has come under scrutiny. She filed the counts via criminal information, which allows her to charge the officers without presenting evidence to a grand jury.

I have to admit that seems shady.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a political move so that they can say "look...we charged somebody".  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]
From KRQE (Albuquerque):

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The District Attorney’s Office has charged the Albuquerque officers who shot and killed homeless camper James Boyd with murder. This is the first time APD officers have ever faced charges for shooting someone.

Helmet-cam video captured Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez firing three shots each which killed Boyd in March 2014. The shooting has sparked protests throughout the city several times since last summer, and while many of them were peaceful, some protesters did threaten police and vandalized property. At the end of one protest, police in riot gear used tear gas to break up crowds.

Last month, KRQE News 13 reported the district attorney was looking to pursue murder charges and on Monday, she filed them against Sandy and Perez.

Preliminary Hearing Process

At a preliminary hearing for Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez, the officers would be able to contest the charges. Prosecutors also would present evidence at the hearing, which would be open to the public. At its conclusion, a District Court judge would decide whether there is probable cause to bind one or both of the officers over for trial.

In a statement sent Monday morning, Sandy’s attorney Sam Bregman claimed the charges are unjustified and that Sandy, “had not only the right, but the duty to defend a fellow officer from a mentally unstable, violent man wielding two knives. Keith did nothing wrong. To the contrary, he followed his training and probably saved his fellow officer’s life.” Bregman did not specify which of the four other officers who were confronting Boyd at the end of a four-hour standoff was saved.

The attorney for Perez, Luis Robles, also pointed to the judgement calls police officers make during critical moments. He told News 13 in a statement, “This is truly a shame. Throughout his career, Officer Perez has been called upon to make life-altering decisions while protecting Albuquerque citizens and his fellow officers. And having made one of those decisions, Officer Perez now faces an open count of murder. Regardless, I am confident that the facts will vindicate Officer Perez’s actions in this case.”

A preliminary hearing will take place for both officers, although the date of that hearing has not been set.

District Attorney Kari Brandenburg will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. Monday to discuss the charges. Bregman has also scheduled a news conference Monday at 1:30 p.m.

KRQE News 13 will have crews at both news conferences and will provide updates to this story as they become available.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Good
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A quick google search shows that the story was covered on sites like USA today, CNN, Huffington Post, Daily Kos, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First I've heard of this.  

ETA-

I had a suspicion as to why I hadn't heard of this. Suspicion confirmed.

Well..... don't leave us hanging.

Boyd was white.

There was at least one lengthy thread here. Also, there were protests when it happened.

A quick google search shows that the story was covered on sites like USA today, CNN, Huffington Post, Daily Kos, etc.

c'mon man. Who you gonna believe, Ar15.com's very own "motown_steve", or your lyin' eyes...?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Never heard of him, the incident or the protests. I get most of my news from TV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By TheWenisPrinkle

Well..... don't leave us hanging.

Boyd was white.

There was at least one lengthy thread here. Also, there were protests when it happened.

Never heard of him, the incident or the protests. I get most of my news from TV.

That right there is part of yer problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Both shot.  

Not that it helps or hurts but the Officer with the rifle was using his personal rifle with his personal suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops had beanbag rounds readily available, they should have just beaned him into submission and then put the dog on him.

What I really do not understand is why (2) office are indited, when there was only one shooter using lethal force.

Both shot.  

I don't see how that can help the officer. If I was prosecutor I'd use that to paint the officer as a gung ho type gun guy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
NOT a good shoot, but I don't think it's murder either.

Manslaughter would seem an appropriate charge.

But New Mexico's laws may keep that from being a possibility.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Perhaps. In the original thread, I stated it looked like they created their own exigency, and forced the issue. There is case law in that regard. Will be interesting to see how this ends up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with this.

There were better ways (like, any other way) to handle that situation that would not have ended with a dead guy.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm still here.  The DA is pandering to the community.  I predict not guilty after trial.  Just like Kelly Thomas.  I also predict that Albuquerque PD will stop arresting and citing people unless absolutely necessary.  I hope the DA has to lay off a few employees and defense attorneys starve.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm inclined to say "bad shoot," mostly because of the way the situation was handled. Perez's only hope of defense is to say he was protecting the K9 handler, which he arguably was. If the "I'm gonna shoot him in the penis" video makes it to trial, though, Sandy is done.

I'm not gonna say "guilty," since the K9 handler may have been in danger. Either way, Sandy is a douche.

I'll leave the verdict for the jury to determine.

«tc2k11»
View Quote

You don't really understand reasonable doubt, do you?  "Because of the way the situation was handled," is a matter for civil Federal court, not local criminal court.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh, isn't this DA the one who gave someone $25k not to report a burglary by her drug-addict son and APD sent the case to the state AG?  She's going to be completely un-biased....
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't see how that can help the officer. If I was prosecutor I'd use that to paint the officer as a gung ho type gun guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both shot.  

Many, if not most, agencies allow personally owned firearms, or even mandate it. Both my sidearm and patrol rifle are PO. We just have to get a letter from our Sheriff, and the firearm must be from a reputable manufacturer and allowable caliber.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#26]
DOJ is all up in their shit lately, and the cop is white, of course he's being charged.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boooya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck yeah
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not guilty after trial.

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boooya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck yeah

They'll  be all solemn and tearful in court though and the judge will pat them on the head and assure them that they really did have to flashbang the bad man and then run up besides him
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm still here.  The DA is pandering to the community.  I predict not guilty after trial.  Just like Kelly Thomas.  I also predict that Albuquerque PD will stop arresting and citing people unless absolutely necessary.  I hope the DA has to lay off a few employees and defense attorneys starve.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ABQ police, IMHO, are out of control.

This is but one of many examples that show that.   Indeed, New Mexico law enforcement as a whole could stand some time operating under federal scrutiny.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Watching the video, I thought there were 2 shooters
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Watching the video, I thought there were 2 shooters

Two shooters, three shots each.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Should have ran it through a Grand Jury imo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Both shot.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both shot.  

I doubt it will matter to a jury any more than it mattered to the bullets. He pulled the trigger 3 times and that's the salient point.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wasnt completely in the desert... He had a long history of violence (especially against cops) an had previously slashed a guy's face for no apparent reason. He did have some mental issues as well...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the guy who got flash banged as he surrendered and then shot, right? I recall there being questions about why he was rousted  from camping in the desert.

Wasnt completely in the desert... He had a long history of violence (especially against cops) an had previously slashed a guy's face for no apparent reason. He did have some mental issues as well...

Good, then this should be a quick trial with a not guilty verdict...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is but one of many examples that show that.   Indeed, New Mexico law enforcement as a whole could stand some time operating under federal scrutiny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cute theory.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Bad shoot!!  Was then, and is now.  As much as I hate to say it, there is going to need to be an example made sooner or later.  This looks like a pretty good case for that.  If there's a canine present, you let the fucking dog loose before killing somebody!!!

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#37]
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. IIRC, he'd had around 200 previous contacts with LE, many violent calls/contacts, and had been called in by homeowners in the area on this event. It wasn't out in the boonies, but on a small ridge behind a housing development.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a generic sense, arresting only when necessary sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

open murder allows conviction on murder 1 or murder 2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

open murder allows conviction on murder 1 or murder 2

On a phone so couldn't read. Mobile version unavailable. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I heard on the radio in my truck, that one of the officers had a camera going.
The footage from the camera didn't match what the officers said happened.
That's why they were just charged with Murder..
This was about an hour ago, coming back from town.

Don't know what happened. That was quite a while ago.But I do remember the thread.
I also don't know how accurate the report on the radio was either!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#41]
The cops basically executed the guy, but I don't see how they can be convicted of anything.   The guy is on video pulling a knife(s), and he is within the commonly accepted lethal range.      

There is a lot of case law saying this is a good shoot.       Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Political posturing. Murder won't stick.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't see a conviction coming from this.

I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. IIRC, he'd had around 200 previous contacts with LE, many violent calls/contacts, and had been called in by homeowners in the area on this event. It wasn't out in the boonies, but on a small ridge behind a housing development.
View Quote

This here. Also it wasn't like they walked up and shot him in 5 min. If I recall it was a couple of hr stand off. Light was low the terrain was bad and the guy was still armed with knives.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#45]
bad shot . hope they throw away the key on both of the two tactical i got a kill guys
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not guilty after trial.
View Quote

Yeah but I bet having a felony/murder arrest on your record is tough.

Will he be put on unpaid leave until the charges are cleared up?

Will he get shit from other cops if he's pulled over and they run his license?

Will he have to get his record expunged after he's found not guilty?

Seems like a bad deal anyway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Good.  Fuck those guys who murdered him.
View Quote

I concur with this assessment. It's been a while since I saw th video, but I remember my immediate reaction being: "holy shit, I just watched a man get murdered by policemen"...

I generally grant LEOs a wide degree of latitude in how they prosecute their job responsibilities, but that was a bad, bad shoot IMO.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the Justice Department is such a bastion of integrity and expert policing experience.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This here. Also it wasn't like they walked up and shot him in 5 min. If I recall it was a couple of hr stand off. Light was low the terrain was bad and the guy was still armed with knives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see a conviction coming out of this one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither do I, also the way the DA is handling this is BS.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top