BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Typo aside, the OP mentioned that they had tracked the homeowner for months.  Maybe situational awareness could have prevented this?

More and more business owners are being targeted in this manner.
View Quote
Totally agree, although, without knowing the details of how/where they tracked, it's tough to know.

If they were tailing the dude day-in and day-out, yea, SA could have gone a long way.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, this just convinced me to keep a few more loaded mags in my nightstand gunvault. I keep 3 loaded handguns and an unloaded 12ga in my bedroom, but only my nightstand gun is quick access.  I might need more than 15+1 at the ready.  I never considered that many coming in. 2 or 3 at the most I thought about.   I'll be putting 3 more mags in there now.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#3]
This is why you stay armed at home.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#4]
My walls are thin and the nearest neighbors are 150 yards away.  Good luck to anyone who enters the house uninvited.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#6]
This is why I think hand grenades should be legal. If you think racking a shot gun will scare off robbers, wait until you hear a spoon fly off. It is a sound you don't forget.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Totally agree, although, without knowing the details of how/where they tracked, it's tough to know.

If they were tailing the dude day-in and day-out, yea, SA could have gone a long way.
View Quote
I keep hearing to randomly change your routes to and from work.  Sure couldn't have hurt.

We all need a bit more paranoia in our daily routine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lol yeah say that to the 20 guns and all that accessories I own...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Lol yeah say that to the 20 guns and all that accessories I own...
Quoted:
OP sounds a lot like every anti-gunner with that statement.
Yea, and by your statement, you're just going to give them to someone who comes in your home.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang

Swap Mag

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I keep hearing to randomly change your routes to and from work.  Sure couldn't have hurt.

We all need a bit more paranoia in our daily routine.
View Quote
I think it's all relative to risk.

Your average soccer mom probably doesn't need to vary routes to drop off Jr. at school.

This guy carries wads of cash - and everyone apparently knows it. He might have benefited from some paranoia.

That said, being switched on all the time and doing all of the things that make you a hard target is mentally exhausting. Most folks won't keep it up forever.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anybody who has ever had his home/person/family violated like that can understand.

If you haven't/can't, don't judge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dream about killing the piece of shit that invaded me a year plus ago. I shoot him over and over in my mind.

Then I pull his mask off and make him look me in the face as he dies, reminding him I did this to him.
Anybody who has ever had his home/person/family violated like that can understand.

If you haven't/can't, don't judge.
I would agree. Even if you weren't home and were burglarized, it does something to the victim. I have taken
plenty of reports of break-ins and even the wife, prior to my knowing her, had one. Her daughter discovered
it coming home from school. The victims take it very, very personal.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless you carry a gun on you at home, and I know some do.  I think the best bet is to reinforce your doors to the point even some gangbangers with a large rock are going to take long enough to get in so that you can get to a staged defensive firearm.  Then try to ambush them while they are in some kind of fatal funnel, like a hallway.

Door jamb armor seems to stop people with actual forcible entry tools and is not prohibitively expensive.
View Quote
It works well. The fire department mistakenly broke into my house and couldn't get in without considerable effort and noise. They ended up having to pry the door with a halligan and it still took them enough time so that we could have armed up easily if we were home.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]
For those decrying the lack of info:

Below the video, right side, there's a icon for a drop box.

To Wit:

Published on Jun 14, 2017On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 12:30 am, five males armed with handguns (all appearing to be black or dark skinned Hispanic and speaking in Spanish, possibly Colombian), committed a violet home invasion, located at the 1500 block of South Kirkwood, in Houston, Texas.
The males entered the residence by breaking the front door with a large rock.
The males immediately tied up the home owner, who was home alone and began to beat him while demanding money.
The suspects were able to steal the home owner’s money from his business and several items, including guns and ammunition.
The suspects then fled the scene in a light colored Mazda SUV.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I kind of like that strategy although I'd prefer to throw a smoke bomb as a diversion to buy me time to load up what I have.

On a more serious note - would hitting a panic button have helped on a security alarm so at least the police would get there a little sooner and he woulda still had time to find his gun?

What would y'all's  step by step would be. Haven't been able to sleep since I heard this. Don't know the neighbor personally but this could happen anywhere now.
Quoted:
This is why I think hand grenades should be legal. If you think racking a shot gun will scare off robbers, wait until you hear a spoon fly off. It is a sound you don't forget.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Home Invasions....The arfcommers wet dream.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So this happened like a few houses down from where I used to live - 6 men robbery with one guy in get away car. The obvious answer would be just let them do what they want with you but is there a way to actually defend yourself in this case? These guys apparently tracked this guy for months and knew he carried cash and his wife and kids wouldn't be home at that time

Video
View Quote

no, no that's not the obvious answer because you have no fucking clue "let them do what they want" is

The correct answer is get to your safe space as QUICKLY as possible.  This safe space needs to have 1 entrance and a way to defend yourself.  Multiple safe spaces are recommended and if you have a family make sure the kids know good hiding spots

I work out of my home office which has 1 door, french doors, that open to the foyer right by the front door.  I can see my driveway and the road from where I'm sitting so I could have seen this coming from a mile away but even if I didn't I would at least have enough time to pull my pistol out of my desk and get in the opposite corner which would give me the element of surprise if they just darted in the room.

Typically, in a scenario like this, when shit starts to hit the fan and bullets start flying they run away as fast as possible.  You know your home better than anyone else, use that to your advantage.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It works well. The fire department mistakenly broke into my house and couldn't get in without considerable effort and noise. They ended up having to pry the door with a halligan and it still took them enough time so that we could have armed up easily if we were home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you carry a gun on you at home, and I know some do.  I think the best bet is to reinforce your doors to the point even some gangbangers with a large rock are going to take long enough to get in so that you can get to a staged defensive firearm.  Then try to ambush them while they are in some kind of fatal funnel, like a hallway.

Door jamb armor seems to stop people with actual forcible entry tools and is not prohibitively expensive.
Can confirm, it's good.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They fracked him?  They forced hot water into his subterranean fissures forcing his oil to come to the surface?
View Quote
"Enhanced waterboard" interrogation method.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They tracked this guy for months! He is an owner of a business and regularly visits banks to get money in and out. The robber supposedly surveilled the bank to pick out his victims. And no im not a troll (I comment on the night vision threads and I've bought and sold here. I have a newborn now and I have to protect him and my wife
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They tracked this guy for months! He is an owner of a business and regularly visits banks to get money in and out. The robber supposedly surveilled the bank to pick out his victims. And no im not a troll (I comment on the night vision threads and I've bought and sold here. I have a newborn now and I have to protect him and my wife
Quoted:
How would they "know" for sure?  Did they see her somewhere else right before they broke in?  People might have a set routine but still have to stop at home for something during the day.  Maybe she forgot something at home after leaving, maybe she went home sick, maybe the kids had a doctors appointment and they went home after, etc.  
If the homeowner was the owner of a business then why didn't he have bars on his home's windows and doors? I'm not rich but at least I have a steel security/metal screen door over my front door. They're not getting inside the front that easily. I have surveillance cameras I set up myself and can see anyone approaching my house. They would have to get in through a side window or through the back, metal door which has two deadbolt locks in addition to the door lock. I also have an alarm system with a keychain panic button to immediately summon police. But, more importantly, I always keep two pistols and a rifle within quick reach.

In the Dallas Metropolitan area there have been a rash of home invasion burglaries (sometimes single robbers and sometimes multiple like the video) in broad daylight where the robbers don't care if anyone is home or not. They walk up to the front door and immediately kick in the door and go right inside. One involved an off duty Dallas Police officer who was home with his infant baby. A shootout ensued and somehow the robber was able to escape unscathed out the back door.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The obvious answer would be just let them do what they want with you ....

Video
View Quote

Quotes statement is a fucking stupid answer.

Pick up a rifle. Preferably with bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, this just convinced me to keep a few more loaded mags in my nightstand gunvault. I keep 3 loaded handguns and an unloaded 12ga in my bedroom, but only my nightstand gun is quick access.  I might need more than 15+1 at the ready.  I never considered that many coming in. 2 or 3 at the most I thought about.   I'll be putting 3 more mags in there now.
View Quote
I have always gone by the old adage "Pray for the best. But, plan for the worst." You should always have more than one gun in quick reach for emergencies. And the shotgun is useless "unloaded."
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The time-stamps on the video are not sync'ed up (those are Hikvision cameras, BTW), but I'd guess they were at the house about 20-30 second before they made entry (with the big paver-stone).  One dumbass dropped his pistol on the way in (third guy, with the black-and-grey hoodie)... that's how tactically-idiotic these guys were.  

They were at the house for 24 minutes before their driver came back to pick them up.  

A couple of thoughts:

1.  As Bcauz3y pointed out, a driveway alarm would have been a help... a few extra seconds of warning.  

2.  Linking one of those front cameras to a sensor of some sort (PIR, etc) covering the driveway would also have given him a heads-up that somebody was coming.  

3.  Notice that open iron gate just outside the front door?  That's an architectural feature commonly seen in Mediterranean-style architecture.  It's meant to separate the inner courtyard from outside, and would have been a formidable first barrier to these thieves.  A pity it wasn't closed/locked.  

4.  Unreinforced door went down with a single strike from that paver-stone.  
View Quote
Can you elaborate more on the camera sensor? I have hikvision cameras and would like to set up an alarm / alert to warn me. Is that what you're talking about?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Ultimate lock for doors, reinforcements for the door frame, get a block mounted to the floor. Basically an oversized doorstop. Security features are meant to buy you time to contact PD and arm yourself. Then there's also the discipline to utilize the security measures you've chosen. Door locks don't work if you don't use them. Keep your piece in a holster that's quick to through on I.E paddle or J hooks or similar. have a shotgun or AR if you determine that your security measures have bought you time to upgrade to a long gun.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Everyone needs an office gun

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So this happened like a few houses down from where I used to live - 6 men robbery with one guy in get away car. The obvious answer would be just let them do what they want with you but is there a way to actually defend yourself in this case? These guys apparently tracked this guy for months and knew he carried cash and his wife and kids wouldn't be home at that time

Video
View Quote

30 round mags and reloads.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#29]
looks like they went through a sliding glass door, is there any way to harden those to slow someone down?

also at the 1 min mark in the video the fucker dropped his gun....
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
looks like they went through a sliding glass door, is there any way to harden those to slow someone down?

also at the 1 min mark in the video the fucker dropped his gun....
View Quote
TGM knows more about this, but there is a film that will slow them down a good bit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sure.  There's a whole thread on it in the Armory.  Here

Unfortunately, with all the other projects I have going, it doesn't look like I've updated it to include Hikvision configuration.  Let me see if I can remedy that.  

The concept is the same.  

Many Hikvision cameras have alarm I/O, which allows them to take input from any standard alarm sensor (like you'd see in a burglar alarm).  It's the green connector you see in the pic below, lined-up for size comparison against a red hole-saw:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Hikvision/Hikvision%20mini/DSCN1981-1_zps5b87ab33.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate more on the camera sensor? I have hikvision cameras and would like to set up an alarm / alert to warn me. Is that what you're talking about?
Sure.  There's a whole thread on it in the Armory.  Here

Unfortunately, with all the other projects I have going, it doesn't look like I've updated it to include Hikvision configuration.  Let me see if I can remedy that.  

The concept is the same.  

Many Hikvision cameras have alarm I/O, which allows them to take input from any standard alarm sensor (like you'd see in a burglar alarm).  It's the green connector you see in the pic below, lined-up for size comparison against a red hole-saw:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Hikvision/Hikvision%20mini/DSCN1981-1_zps5b87ab33.jpg
Thanks. Going to read up on that!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#32]
arfcom is bad for my bank account.   I just ordered 2 of the door jam armor sets from amazon. I added 2 usgi rifle slings to the order as well.

its not a bad thing though. I have been wanting to get some of this stuff for a while now. now I will have enough to do the front and back doors. that's my BIGGEST fear, is me waking up to someone standing over my bed.... that or someone kicking in a door, and getting inside before I can react. this should go a LONG way towards slowing someone down enough to be able to react, and get armed before they can get inside.  the amazon reviews seems pretty positive.

although my biggest security issue since I have been in the new house, is raccoons trying to rob my bird feeders, and dig up tomato plants. I already shot one... last night spotted another one, hanging off a feeder, but they are smart enough to know that a flash light illuminating them, means the hurt is coming.. and they haul ass. a cheap electric fence keeps them away from the maters now.

I'm also planning a cheap wireless driveway alarm ( $10.00 rural king), and some motion lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9ZGWNQ?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#33]
The hurricane films or other stuff would help keep the glass intact.

Even if dude had 30seconds of notice while they were in the driveway, what if he is in the bathroom or cooking something or sleeping or whatever?

This is the sort of thing where dogs do awfully well at helping alert as well.  My dogs have a few different barks.  The mean ol bunny rabbit has em bark one way, someone walking down the road that borders the yard gets a different bark.

As already mentioned you need layers and need to use em.  The locked gate with more sensors there if it is broken or climbed would be good.

Reinforced storm door and regular doors take more time to get through as well, more layers.  Always more layers.

As far as being watched at the bank and followed home and what not, in a city it might be a pain to keep track of things but in semi-rural and rural areas I notice vehicles and people and while I don't have a lot of ways to get home I pay attention to vehicles I see in town then going by the house.

I am not about to say I would put cameras in the car and then scan footage for same vehicles going by house, and even then they might use multiple vehicles and people as well.

There is a reason gated communities exist.  There is a reason romans liked courtyards.  You have to decide on your level of security, and it might take years to build it up.

Biggest thing is if they can't easily come in a doorway, breaking a window is loud and might make their entry slower.  I don't plan to put 2x4s across my doors when home, but if you have not installed decent locks and reinforced the door and jamb and what not you might want to read up on it as well.

A camera setting an alarm that goes to your cell phone takes how long?  Not everyone is going to have camera outputs in all the rooms so they can see the alarm without going to check it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A camera setting an alarm that goes to your cell phone takes how long?  Not everyone is going to have camera outputs in all the rooms so they can see the alarm without going to check it.
View Quote
Mine is almost instant.

Before I can get out of my car, my phone buzzes from the app and the text with picture - motion in the driveway.

ETA: So... I just confirmed, it's about 1 second.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Would you rather the wife and kids find you dead ball gagged and tied to a chair, or in a pile of spent brass trailing through the house?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I keep a loaded AR in the family room under the sofa where I sit and another one under our bed.  This way I have access to 30 rounds most of the time.  We also use a door brace to help secure the entry doors.  The brace won't stop a determined bad guy but it will provide the time needed to grab a gun and take cover.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I Wish a Mother F$@#*@ Would!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can confirm, it's good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can confirm, it's good.
Yeah, them kicking and ramming the door had started to split the solid wood door down the middle before they went to prying. After that, I installed it on all exterior doors my family has.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Just lol if you're not preemptively killing everyone within a 100 mile radius in your spare time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not sure how much damage a hand grenade would do to a house, but I would wager enough that it would render said house uninhabitable, (plus what in your house can be considered "cover" from a grenade?) or at best severly jacked up. Typical residential construction(drywall, 2x4) can take like 2 psi over pressure before structural collapse , what would a hand grenade do(.25 lbs RDX)?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Unless you're in a cast-iron bathtub, there's no friggin' WAY I'd deploy a frag inside a standard residential structure.
View Quote
mk19 is the only answer.

Murica
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#50]
What do you think an AR carbine is for?

Hell, just last night there was a video on the evening news of a guy (brass balls, here) who chased a couple of hoods (one of them wielding a shotgun) out of his garage with a machete!

I wouldn’t mind having him for a neighbor!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top