Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Redfmans, or whatever your name is, you have just won the prize for the least thought out, most inane post of the day.  You are in the running for the week, so keep at it.  With your superior education and grasp of the facts, we expect much from you.

Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Redfmans, or whatever your name is, you have just won the prize for the least thought out, most inane post of the day.  You are in the running for the week, so keep at it.  With your superior education and grasp of the facts, we expect much from you.

View Quote

18 posts and you are deciding who wins POTD?  You haven';t even posted a days worth yet, come back in a few months and give it another go, low-post-count-boy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in the New River Valley, and have had these folks fly frighteningly low on at least a weekly basis.  Since 9/11 the flights have been 2-3 per day.  

There are no military airports nearby (I think they are carrier based from Norfolk).

When my 7 year old daughter covers her ears and jumps in my lap, scared from he noise, I just smile and tell her, "That's the sound of freedom, honey."

It is.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

18 posts and you are deciding who wins POTD?  You haven';t even posted a days worth yet, come back in a few months and give it another go, low-post-count-boy.
View Quote

You go, hielo!  LMAO [:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If this topic started, and still is about WI F-16's, those planes probably came out of Madison. Where the Air National Guard is based, not to mention some Army National Guard rotary winged aircraft.

I suppose we could only have military planes fly out of military bases, over military lands. But that would be terribly inconvinient for the "Citizen-Soldiers" that make up the Guard/Reserve.

I think someone has some serious anger issues with the government.

So what a military jet flew over me. Hey I pay taxes, I'd like to see some of what I pay for. It also must be cool for the pilots, ground crews relative's to see "their" planes going over...........

Again my only complaint is they replaced the A-10's with F-16's a few years ago. A-10's rule.
View Quote

OLY:

Ah yes, the A-10's.  They switched before I lived close enough to see them.  If I had my choice of military missions to fly, the A-10 would probably be my pick.  Gotta love that low flying ground attack role.  And I happen to think that it is a beautiful plane.

But, there's a funny story about the A-10's in Madison.  Seems that during Desert Storm, a bunch of peacenik protestor types were picketing at Truax "demanding" that the A-10's be removed from Madison and that the US cease all hostilities against Iraq.  Well, turns out the A-10's were just about ready to rotate into action in the Gulf.  One day, they role out the whole squadron of Hogs, fully armed, and taxi them to the runway.  One by one they took off and headed east enroute to Iraq.  The protestors started cheering thinking that they influenced the NG to pull them out.  Hahaha!  At least that's the way I heard the story....

In the hours and weeks following 9/11, I was glad that Madison had those F-16's.  Even though I understand the implications of their mission in a 9/11 situation.  [V]  I think the first line of defense should be armed pilots, but that's off topic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

[red]"I protect you (from what?) and I'll do the protecting as I see fit, and if you want to critisize pick up a rifle and stand a post."[/red]

I spent 1.5 years in Germany, when there was still an East Germany and a West Germany, guarding some of America's Nuclear Weapons, very close to Czechoslovakia.

Where did you/are you "standing a post"?  
View Quote

That was a comment about what I knew was coming next from the military guys.  Why do you think it was in quotations?  I don't stand a post, and never did, but as a citizen I have every right to critisize the actions of the military.

There is a big difference between a piston-engine private plane and military jet.  Hell, there is a noticeable difference between a jumbo jet and a military aircraft.  A light aircraft puttering over at 500 feet going 100 MPH making less noise than a car is a good sight different from a dozen helicopters going Hell for broke in close formation in the middle of the night.

Redfmans, or whatever your name is, you have just won the prize for the least thought out, most inane post of the day. You are in the running for the week, so keep at it. With your superior education and grasp of the facts, we expect much from you.
View Quote

That's nice; everybody is welcome to their opinion.  Given the quality of your post, however; I don't think you are one to talk.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]
God, I love that stuff!

When I was younger, I used to "walk the beans" at my uncles' farm in western Minnesota.

In one week there were low-level fly-overs almost every day around 1pm. They were flying at about 50 to 100 feet up...VERY LOW.

The first 2 times I heard/saw them I almost crapped my pants. The third time I heard the rumble and just watched...The fourth time I saw them I stretched my arms out and did a rocking motion, to which one of them tipped his wings up and own...totally cool!

Currently, I live very close to a warbird museum...It is not a rare sight to see a B52 or a Mustang rumbling by...Always awesome to watch =)
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#8]
It's really badass around the first of May every year when the Air and Sea show is in South Florida.  I love hearing rumbles outside, and looking out to find Apaches, F16s, even the freakin Blue Angels flying around.  Awesome sights!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Summer 1994 I was driving on US87 toward Claton NM. I heard a loud rumble and two F117s shot over the top of my blazer(Guys could not have been more than 50 ft off the ground, I actually felt them shake my truck)  A couple of minutes later several (five – maybe six) B1Bs did the same thing.

I turned back toward our ranch and not more than ten miles down that road there is a line of fricken Apache helos headed toward Claton. Every few seconds one would pop up about 100 ft into the air. I guess they were simulating wiping out the whole town.

Erie part is- I could only find four people who saw the f117s, B1Bs or the Apaches. Nobody that I asked saw all three groups of aircraft. Most people I asked were not even aware of any aircraft

For a moment I put myself on the receiving end of all that hardware.
- Thank god Osamma/Sadam ain't got none O' that
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
i was 15 years old and my dad put me in a tower deer stand overlooking a large field on a lease outside Victoria Texas.  a huey comes over fast, at tree top level just about dusk.  he clears my stand and the trees by about 30'  the prop wash was fantastic.  he runs halfway down the field and pulls into a 45 degree bank and the door gunner with a 60 opens up on several does that are at the end of the field.  the pilot throws/spins the tail around and boom he is on the ground.  the door gunner get's out and loads a couple does into the huey and they take off.  man it was cool.

Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]
First off, I absolutely was not bitching about what I saw or what these guys were doing.
If it sounded that way, then I'm sorry.
I really do appreciate what the military boys do everyday!
I was just wondering what the hell was going on!
I guess the point that I was kinda getting at was that it seemed like something was up or that something was coming up.
And like I said, I have lived here for quite awhile now. That was not part of some goddamn air show!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
btt
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top