Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Regardless, the tip should be based on the pre-tax amount, not the check total.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck all that shit.  In my book, Tipping is just another city in China.  I try to avoid eating in restaurants and I get my haircus at home.  Yeah, your job is shitty.  Mine is too.  If you don't make enough without somebody else's charity, quit.  Get some ambition and get into school.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fuck all that shit.  In my book, Tipping is just another city in China.  I try to avoid eating in restaurants and I get my haircus at home.  Yeah, your job is shitty.  Mine is too.  If you don't make enough without somebody else's charity, quit.  Get some ambition and get into school.

Tipping was originally to reward courteous service.

Now waitresses and waiters read articles like the OP posted and get it programmed in their head that they are entitled to a 20% tip by default and anything less is getting ripped off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My tea glass goes empty you get shit from me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

People with an attitude like yours is why it sucks to be a waiter/waitress, not because the pay is bad.

ETA:  I am not a waiter, and do not work for tips.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a cheap ass, and I don't "make my pissant contribution to fucking with modern entitlement society by screwing the server out of tip money" as some here do.

Therefore I tip well (20% min) all the time.

Amazingly I never have bad service at places I frequent regularly.  I can afford it.  On the off chance its bad service or mediocer, I don't get my man panties in a bunch, I just let it roll off my back and view it as charity to the retarded.

People that are stingy with tip piss me off.  Its a petpev, but it is a very telling characteristic of someones character (greedy and/or power hungry - earn your tip bitch!).

I have other shit to worry about in my life.

Karam is a bitch, but I know no one will fuck with my food in the restaurants I go to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a tip based job.  I tend to slightly overtip for good service.

but the scale works backwards too,  I'm punitive for bad service.

I'm saying I rarely tip 15%.  It's like 20% or 10%

Last month I tipped this shitty shitty waitress a nickel.  Just so she knew I didn't forget.

man she was bad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My tea glass goes empty you get shit from me.

+1.  If my glass is empty and I don't already have a refill there or on the way, the only tip they're getting is to get another job, because they suck at this one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Around here shit is cheaper, so a 20% tip is a LOT. And I never got why waiters get paid the way they do? Why not just pay them minimum wage like everybody else? Because my understanding is that they get something like $3 an hour in 'guaranteed/minimum pay' and they have to earn the difference in tips

I'll tip 10% if it's someplace like Hooters with normal service.
15% if it's an upscale place with normal service.
20% if you go above and beyond (i.e. get the order right, refill my drink without me having to ask, don't bug me or rush me through my meal, etc.)

I've tipped up to 50-100% before for EXCELLENT service though...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Waiters and waitresses bring you food
that they did not prep or cook,on plates
that they did not wash,nor the silverware
or glasses you are eating and drinking with.

If the restaurant has a bar, did they make your drink?

Why people think they are worth 15-20% is beyond me.

BTW, 15 years of food service experience as a cook/dishwasher,
so don't get holier than thou on me. I know what I talk about.

I watched servers count out hundreds of dollars in
tip money at the end of the night, and I would get $2.00 bucks.

No sympathy here if they get a $2.00 tip on a $50 check.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
i don't usually pay alot of attention to what percentage i tip... i overtip as a rule, but i don't calculate anything...

i pay attention to how long i keep someone's table tied up as well, and i have often asked waitresses if they need to turn the table over, or if i can stay...

my boss owns a restaurant and the wait staff knows me well now... i haven't paid my ticket the last three times i've been in

i'm just sayin...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Percentage based tipping is pointless.

If I order a $8.00 burger and fries or a $21.00 ribeye meal the waitress/waiter still does the exact same thing, and provides the same service.

So why should they get less of a tip for serving someone who eats a burger vice someone who eats a ribeye?

If you eat at a place where there is no difference in quality or how complicated an $8.00 burger and $21.00 ribeye meal is, you're right.

In reality, however, there are a lot of things I have to get right.  You buy something expensive, I know you expect to get it right.  Buy the cheap burger, I start to think you might not give a damn.  I could be wrong, of course, but experience shows otherwise.

Timing - I determine when your order gets put into the kitchen, and the order and timing with which I do that determines when the food comes out.  The kitchen is a machine, and they prepare food with a pretty regular pace.  I am supposed to know that pace and time my order accordingly.  The big caveat to this is if the ktichen is really having a cow and taking an hour to prepare a damn plate.  THAT is outside my control.  But if you get your entree 3 minutes after your appetizer, you know who to blame.
Temperature of your steak - Depends on temperature.  I can get a rare to medium steak recooked in no time, anything more and it just takes too long for you to not notice.
Sides - This is pretty easy.  Whether or not you get your order right or not is hit or miss.
Presentation - If the person who took your order is the one who brings it to your table (and thats a BIG caveat to everything I'm about to say.  If your server is really busy, things will invariably get overlooked to an extent.), as I am, I am the last one to see your order before it leaves the kitchen.  I am supposed to make sure that everything is kosher before I take it out there, and if its not, I am supposed to fix it.  It it my ultimate responsibility to make sure you get what you ordered and that it looks good.
Quantity of food - Same deal, if someone skimped on a part of your order, I'm the last one to see it and I should catch the mistake.
Quality of food - Ditto.  I'm the last one to check the order.
Courses - If I forget something or get something wrong or mistime something, its my fault.
Drinks - Keep em full.  Ask if you want another bar drink.  Easiest part of the job.
Special instructions - You want a coke with just one ice cube?  You dont want scallops on that entree but want more shrimp?  You're allergic to shrimp?  (I work in a seafood restaruant and people act like our cooks aren't constantly touching all sorts of seafood.)  Its my job to make sure the kitchen knows, and gets it right.

It may not sound like much, but it is.

But how much of that does the waiter have control over?

There you go.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't waste my money going out to eat anymore. I'm not tipping anyone.

i'm coming to that conclusion as well. going out is a waste of money.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
doing your job might be worth 10%
do it better, you get 15
quit yer whining and get another job.

+1.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't waste my money going out to eat anymore. I'm not tipping anyone.

i'm coming to that conclusion as well. going out is a waste of money.

Yeah, that's exciting...always eating at home.

Going out to eat for many is more than just eating, but a social event.  Get out of the house and have people serve you....its nice especially on the weekends.

Going out with friends even better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll start out by saying that I do tip, and I usually tip very well. But I somewhat agree with some of the above posters about not tipping. These people that bring my food, cut my hair, etc do not work for me. It should not be my obligation to pay them. I pay the restaurant for my food. It should be the responsibility of the restaurant to pay their employees what they are worth.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll start out by saying that I do tip, and I usually tip very well. But I somewhat agree with some of the above posters about not tipping. These people that bring my food, cut my hair, etc do not work for me. It should not be my obligation to pay them. I pay the restaurant for my food. It should be the responsibility of the restaurant to pay their employees what they are worth.

Its fine in theory, but of course it hasn't ever really worked that way.

Besides in some cases where restaurants automatically charge you a %, usually when with a larger group.  But I was just in the city the other day and there was a 15% gratuity included on the bill for 4 individuals.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#18]
The stingy geniuses among us do realize that waiters/waitresses don't get even minimum wage, they usually get half that, right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The stingy geniuses among us do realize that waiters/waitresses don't get even minimum wage, they usually get half that, right?

Here when I served tables at Outback Steakhouse I received min wage $7.15/hr IIRC + tips.  Some states pay min wage while others allow $3.00/hr.  I made excellent money serving tables but I was damn good at it.  My wife is a teacher and she STILL serves tables at Outback after 5+ years because it gives her supplemental income as teachers aren't paid jack shit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

if that was the case, you would either have pedro or juan mis-translating your order-because thats the only people who would work for such little money, or that steak would magically jump from $20 to $40 to cover the increased wages to hire hard working people....
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
How is a tip hard to figure?

Just take the tax and X3.........  hat!!
Damn TN sales tax!  I loathe thee!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
$1.50 per $10 isn't hard to calculate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
If you frequent the same establishment, go with 20%.

They remember you and will take care of you above others.

Most servers have to pay for their own insurance and make below minimum wage (legal because of the industry.)

I would avoid telling them to "go get a new job" if they don't like your low tipping.  Many servers have been doing it for years.  Don't turn serving into a high-schoolers-only job.  You'll lose those who take care of you when you dine.

And, as always, if you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't be eating there.

If you feel that service was "bad," talk to a manager.  Screwing them on money without any feedback is just juvenile.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Those that have bragged about having your bill torn up/reduced by the wait staff surely must realize that you are stealing from the restaraunt owners right?

I like being able to leave/give a large tip. It is all up to the waiter/waitress whether I leave a large tip, a small tip, or no tip at all. I much prefer when a large tip is in order.

Just today, I stopped at a Sonic as is normal for me when I am on my daily trek to Membabwe. I always order the same thing and since I am a walk up customer, my face should be a familiar sight to the wait staff there by now. So today, when my order is brought out, she sets the bag down and says "918."  Not even eye contact is made. So, I count out exactly $9.18 and sate that is she will greet her customers in a pleasant manner that her tips will increase greatly. She smiled as if she were a little embarrassed or puzzled, said sorry, and departed.

I hope that she will take my advice and practice it. Unfortunately I will not know if she did as I have decided not to patronize that particular Sonic again. The quality of their food has deminished as has the size of the grilled chicken salad. The pic of the salad on the menu shows it to be overflowing with vegetable goodness. Yet when my order arrives, the bowl is about half full. I don't like being cheated nor deceived
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Want good service eat at the same places and tip fairly to well.  18-30%

P.S.   Stuff the fucking compliment to the server or thier manger (for good service) and just throw down some extra cash.  The extra cash speaks volumes your server will not give a rats ass about the compliment because they seldom if ever gain $$$ from it.

Compliments usually are the kiss of death for good service because mostly shitty tips follow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's a tip... get a job where your employer doesn't pay you a shit wage!

If I'm tipping... clothes better be coming off.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Another thing is more and more people are thinking they deserve tips.

I'm starting to see tip jars appearing at the counter in fast food restaurants.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#28]
height=8
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Prices would go up if they gave "good wages" and service quality would be on par with McDonalds.  Tipping is Capitalism, paying a percentage for incentive and performance.

Apparently this is lost on most here.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up if they gave "good wages" and service quality would be on par with McDonalds.  Tipping is Capitalism, paying a percentage for incentive and performance.

Noooo.....

The fact that we do not participate in a free market is lost on most here.

Government arbitrarily sets minimum wages for labor.  However, all minimum wages are not created equal.  Folks in occupations in which the employer decides they should get more money directly from the consumer have a lower minimum wage.

I don't know where you are eating out, but in many places service quality IS on par with McDonalds

My personal favorite, dumb cunt waitress fucking up my order because she failed to write it down  DUh!  Taking orders is only a fundamental part of the job, and they screw that shit up!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Along with the fact that a lot of waitstaff make more money waiting on you cranky bastards than you do at your "real jobs," where your boss pays you a "decent wage."
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Prices would go up

Heaven fucking FORBID we pay what stuff actually costs
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If you can't afford, or don't want to pay the tip, don't go out to eat, stay at home.  It's just part of the cost of going out to eat and having someone wait on you.  Or you could go to Taco Bell.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#34]
20% has always been my minimum.

Somebody mentioned tipping the same % when the food is much cheaper.  I used to tip the girls at the local hot dog stand 100% to make up for that.  Or some such reason...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Along with the fact that a lot of waitstaff make more money waiting on you cranky bastards than you do at your "real jobs," where your boss pays you a "decent wage."

Yep you pay higher taxes on your wage jobs too.  I've known fine dining waiters pocketing $900 per week in pocket working under 40 hours and still getting tax refunds every year.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if that was the case, you would either have pedro or juan mis-translating your order-because thats the only people who would work for such little money, or that steak would magically jump from $20 to $40 to cover the increased wages to hire hard working people....

Like I said, it should be the responsibility of the restaurant to pay the employee. If they need to raise their prices, so be it. It actually makes more sense for the restaurant and the employee to do it that way. They wouldn't have to worry about waiting on someone for 2 hours and getting a 2.00 tip.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

Goes back to tips being incentive i.e. motivation.  Per hour employees generally give minimal results.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I've stopped tipping all together. I hate being told how much is enough.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

You drive a truck, right?

What do you get paid, by the piece, by the mile?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, it should be the responsibility of the restaurant to pay the employee. If they need to raise their prices, so be it. It actually makes more sense for the restaurant and the employee to do it that way. They wouldn't have to worry about waiting on someone for 2 hours and getting a 2.00 tip.

Copout for a cheapass who refuses to do something hes not made to do because they sees it as an opportunity for gain.  If our tax system was not income based all checks would be gratuitized anyway, so then it would be pay it of fuck off back to Taco Bell.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

By the mile...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Stick with fast food.  You wouldn't be Native American would you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

By the mile...

So basicly by percentage/commission?  Like a server.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

By the mile...

Shouldn't you get paid an hourly rate by the trucking company instead of the customer paying you for each mile you drive?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I usually tip my whores 25%.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

By the mile...

Like a cabbie, who incidentally is also tipped.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

By the mile...

No.

Flat rate, so many cents per mile.

I have no control over how many miles I run in a given week.

I could totally bust my ass, and still only get 1,500 miles in a week.  A good week for a truck driver is 2,700 miles+

"40 hours" would be around 2,400 for the speed at which my truck is governd.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

By the mile...

If I solicited a tip, I would be fired, quicker than you can say "I SAID HOLD THE MAYO YOU DUMB C&NT!!!!"  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stick with fast food.  You wouldn't be Native American would you?

Hate fast food. How native are we talking about? 3nd generation good enough for you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prices would go up

By the mile...

Cabbies get an hourly rate or total fees minus Vehicle rent/company service charge.

Servers are lucky if thier $2+ per hour covers thier taxes.  Cabbies get a better deal.  

Cant imagine a server paying the company too rent his 3 table section.  Too many shitheads in the world.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top