Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
if a golden retriever is barking 99 times out of a 100 there is something wrong and they are trying to warn you about something.

before you kill it just call animal control and have them take it and give it to a loving home

golden retriever owner for over 40 years here
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Empty beer cans with a few rocks inside. Tie a piece of fishing line to one pull tab, run it through the pull tab of several more to create a line long a point of entry.

We use this method as part of securing camp sites. Cheap & easy. It may not scare the dogs away but it will let you know they’re coming.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if a golden retriever is barking 99 times out of a 100 there is something wrong and they are trying to warn you about something.

before you kill it just call animal control and have them take it and give it to a loving home

golden retriever owner for over 40 years here
View Quote

Unlike some of the sociopaths on here it sounds like OP does not want to kill the dog. Hopefully he can get this resolved. The dog needs training, something g to occupy it, and a firm hand.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Step 1) Tell your neighbor you hope he enjoys cleaning liquid shit off all his carpets and furniture because you’re going to feed his dog hotdogs loaded up with laxatives the next time it comes over to your place.

Step 2) Do it.

Step 3) There is no step 3... that’s how easy this plan is.
View Quote

You want to creative additional incentive for the dog to come over??

Electric fence is the most sensible. The paintball method would also work fine. I'm not big on killing harmless dogs because the neighbors are lousy. That said, the dog did terrify the little one.

Another idea (since you volunteered to train it). Go to his house and have him put the dog on a lead. Walk with him for an hour. It wouldn't take much for a young dog to act civil around your family. If he is really harmless, with the exception of the nuisance barking, why not?
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]

i have the weirdest boner right now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Release 500 skunks on your property

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Paintball marker, pepperball rounds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I guess my next fear after such a thing would be that the kids HATE me for shooting their dog.  And the mom encourages it.  And they start fucking with my equipment.

The day after I sent the "this shit has gone too far" text, my tractor wouldn't run right.  I was certain that somebody had fucked with it, maybe sugar in the fuel tank.  But I had also just done a lot of maintenance on it and found out that I just hadn't closed the fuel primer all the way.

I'd prefer to fix the situation by still letting them love and keep their playful, cute pup.
View Quote

This is a myth and has been proven false . Basically, sugar doesn't dissolve in gas, so it can't gum up your engine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
When I lived in the country I had some neighbor dogs that just caused havoc for everyone near them and the owner would do nothing about it. The one dog would literally shit on the side of my house every couple of days, dirty bastard. I took a few shots at them on the run with a pistol and missed , but their luck ran out with one of the other neighbors and his rifle.

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unlike some of the sociopaths on here it sounds like OP does not want to kill the dog. Hopefully he can get this resolved. The dog needs training, something g to occupy it, and a firm hand.
View Quote

You say sociopath like it’s a bad thing???
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plot twist:  This was a reverse data mining thread to expose who among us is an undercover ATF agent.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is a myth and has been proven false . Basically, sugar doesn't dissolve in gas, so it can't gum up your engine.
View Quote

I want to be specific here.  Was the myth that sugar doesn't dissolve in gas?  Or that it doesn't dissolve in diesel fuel?

And a part of me doesn't really think it'd have to dissolve.  If all it did was settle into the tank outlet and clog up the fuel filter, that'd be enough to screw up the engine enough to require a fuel system flush and obviously a filter replacement.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Goldens are extremely smart, sensitive and mischievous at the same time. Every morning one of my employees came in early to have coffee with me and sit in the chair up by my desk and talk about guns politics whatever. Well suddenly my golden retriever Caleb started reaching for his shoelace every morning and pulling it out untying a shoelace on his right foot. Sergy thought he was just being mischievous and kept saying no no don't do that with his Russian accent not that realizing that Caleb was trying to warn Sergy of an impending disaster.

A few weeks after this started I had to send Sergy up to Tampa to work on a Trader Joe's air conditioner that got hit by lightning  he was up there overnight and the next morning he got some parts and needed more additional work but we are waiting for our PO to be approved so we stayed one more night overnight. In the evening I had a premonition that he was going to need a helper so I sent another Russian AC mechanic up to help him  when he got on the roof that morning Sergy turned looked at the helper and says I can't feel my leg and collapsed on the roof. He was rushed off the roof by firefighters as they try to revive him into an ambulance ion the way to an emergency hospital. While they were getting the Worker's Comp. info  from me  they suddenly rushed him into the OR because his heart had stopped again. Three doctors declared him dead but one refused to give up on him and he survived they operated on his leg and we're trying to figure out why he had no blood flow to his lower body  so they induced in a coma till they could stabilize him and find out what was going on. On Thanksgiving morning Sergy called me from the hospital to wish me happy Thanksgiving I was surprised to hear he was voice as I thought he was still in a coma.

Well he started out the conversation with happy Thanksgiving boss oh by the way I lost my leg. All along Caleb was trying to warn him of a condition in his leg that was causing blood clots at least that's what we think and Sergy said that God and Caleb had saved his life .

Anyway golden retrievers are really smart so if they are barking there's a reason
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Rather than tripwires, etc., you could try one of those ultrasonic bark deterrence devices - they emit a loud ultrasonic alarm when a dog barks - this is *supposed* to startle the dog and stop the barking.  For a wandering dog, it can even see them off.  It may work and it may not, but it is an easy and pretty cheap thing to try before spending a lot of effort on more involved methods.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7M6H71?tag=arfcom00-20

Mike

Edit:  URL embedding seems to be broken.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I would get some HALT dog spray. I have used it on the next door neighbor’s pit bulls to a rent house I own. Their dogs won’t come anywhere near the fence line when I am there. Once you hose them down they will remember it for a long time. Spray the dog path and they can smell it and will steer clear. Bear spray would also work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
-snip-

Anyway golden retrievers are really smart phones barking there's a reason
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's a totally random story, for no particular reason at all.

I had a dog who started getting in the trash when he was around 10.  I would put it up on a chair, then up on the table.
He still did it every day.  I didn't want to start crating him if I didn't have to.  
So I came up with a brilliant plan.  I sprayed down the trash with vinegar. Lots of it.   Then I sprinkled with crazy amounts of black pepper.

Me: "This will surely make him take one taste and run away crying!  I'm a genius!"
Mr Gipper: "Something is 'off' but I will eat as much as possible because I am a dog!"
Also Mr Gipper later that day: "Something is very wrong with my stomach!  Ruh Roh!  I better run through every single room in the house, paying particular attention to the carpeted bedrooms and hallways, while this stuff is shooting out of my asshole"
My now ex-wife: "When you get home from work, there is a biblical disaster awaiting you. I opened all the windows int he house.  I am taking our daughter to my friends and spending the night."

Yes, he had diarrhea like I have never seen.  I first went to store and rented a steam vacuum machine. The next day I had a professional cleaner come in and clean every room.  It was beyond anything you can imagine.  I was a RCH from replacing all the carpet.... and probably should have regardless.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Foo Gas is what you seek
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#19]
They do make a motion activated sprinkler, I use it to keep the armadillos out of my yard.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I want to be specific here.  Was the myth that sugar doesn't dissolve in gas?  Or that it doesn't dissolve in diesel fuel?

And a part of me doesn't really think it'd have to dissolve.  If all it did was settle into the tank outlet and clog up the fuel filter, that'd be enough to screw up the engine enough to require a fuel system flush and obviously a filter replacement.
View Quote

Doesn't dissolve in diesel either. Either way it could clog up the fuel filter, which is what a filter is for, albeit not really for sugar. I haven't tested the theory, but I highly doubt the granules would make it past the filter.

There's some fucked up people with fucked up solutions in this thread. Just because a dog is barking doesn't make it aggressive.

OP, Do your dogs run loose? It doesn't sound like it?

I have a couple ideas which revolve around getting the dog to get used to you, your animals, and your dogs, since it's fairly obvious they aren't going to control their dog, at least not at this point.

If you think the kid is willing to fuck with other peoples stuff now, just wait until you kill their dog, especially if the mom has a serious illness, and having a neighbor that hates you is never a good thing, been there done that.

Does your city/county/township/whatever have a leash law? A lot of counties have leash laws even if the city doesn't. If they do, you could use that as a method to control the dog.

Otherwise, if you don't have the time to "train"  the dog to be less bored and looking for attention, or less scared of you and your family, I would just go with the paint ball gun method first, and if regular paint balls don't work move up to peeper balls, and if that doesn't work, electric fence.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Step 1) Tell your neighbor you hope he enjoys cleaning liquid shit off all his carpets and furniture because you’re going to feed his dog hotdogs loaded up with laxatives the next time it comes over to your place.

Step 2) Do it.

View Quote

I did this exact thing to a cat that kept shitting in the yard, only I used some good old Pittsburg hotlinks. That cat ate 4 links, went home, and shit liquid all over the inside. Neighbors were replacing carpet and a couch 3 days later. Never saw the cat again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Punji pit around your entire perimeter.  Smear feces on the ends of the spikes to almost ensure death.  Wear the golden lab pelt like a Roman Aquilifer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I really should not trust my girl Siri
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Geez this is simple. Kill dog on your own property. Return collar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Dogs hate to walk on certain things - and as you found they dislike certain noises.

The fishing line with beer cans and pie plates might be a good first step before you break out the electric fence.

If you want to keep the dog out of a structure - tin foil or anything that crinkles works (just lay it on the ground).
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Doesn't dissolve in diesel either. Either way it could clog up the fuel filter, which is what a filter is for, albeit not really for sugar. I haven't tested the theory, but I highly doubt the granules would make it past the filter.

There's some fucked up people with fucked up solutions in this thread. Just because a dog is barking doesn't make it aggressive.

OP, Do your dogs run loose? It doesn't sound like it?

I have a couple ideas which revolve around getting the dog to get used to you, your animals, and your dogs, since it's fairly obvious they aren't going to control their dog, at least not at this point.

If you think the kid is willing to fuck with other peoples stuff now, just wait until you kill their dog, especially if the mom has a serious illness, and having a neighbor that hates you is never a good thing, been there done that.

Does your city/county/township/whatever have a leash law? A lot of counties have leash laws even if the city doesn't. If they do, you could use that as a method to control the dog.

Otherwise, if you don't have the time to "train"  the dog to be less bored and looking for attention, or less scared of you and your family, I would just go with the paint ball gun method first, and if regular paint balls don't work move up to peeper balls, and if that doesn't work, electric fence.
View Quote

I think I've addressed everything in your post already.  I agree with you, and have tried everything you listed until the paintball/pepper balls/electric fence.

My dogs stay fenced up or on a shock collar with me.  Oddly enough, both pups broke out of the fence 2 weeks ago.  One of my good neighbors called and said "hey your GSD is over here, just being as sweet as can be, we're hanging out on the porch".  I went outside to find the lab/pit mix just laying by the front door (also outside the fence).  I put him up, went and got the GSD, and repaired the fence as soon as I get back so it won't be a problem again.

The shitty dog neighbor tried to bring this up in the conversation this morning.  "Well I saw YOUR dog out 2 weeks ago".  As if my dogs getting out once in 2 years and wandering around is comparable to what his dog is doing.

One time 5 years ago my GSD got away at like 7 PM and when she gets away, she stays away for a LONG time.  Even on the shock collar (high quality Dogtra model, but in thick woods and heavy hills so it doesn't have the range that it should).  At 10 PM this bad dog neighbor knocked on our door and brought her back.  I thanked him.  His wife tried to use that example from 5 years ago to compare to what her dog is doing every day, too.

It's really strange to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife, who works from home, has reported that the dog is already back today.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Leave treats that will hurt it’s belly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#30]
For educational purposes only

Small ball of hamburger with 1/2 tab of chocolate exlax

Use once a week

Increase by 1/2 tab weekly

Works better if it is an inside dog

If not, aw poor fluffy got sick and died

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#31]
pepper spray would do well in this situation
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I really should not trust my girl Siri
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Trespassing dogs only do it once on my land. I raise cattle/chickens/ducks/guineas. First warning is a using an old High Standard Double Nine loaded with blanks. Usually works, but if they come back menacing my animals…….
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I also recommend a fence charger and low strand of fence wire along the entire length.

I had a problem with dogs that this solved.  The best part was their Karen owner trespassed into our yard and touched the wire too.  She threatened to sue me, but since she was trespassing on posted property she had no case.

I used a 15 mile rated low impedance DC powered charger running off a small SLA 12V connected to a battery maintainer, so it stays live even if the power goes out.  It energizes about 2000 feet of wire along my property line.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd take a paintball gun to it.   Your choice if you use pepperballs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Live trap the dog and give it to a local rescue, owners don't care about it, you don't want another dog. Someone will give it a home and training.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I did this exact thing to a cat that kept shitting in the yard, only I used some good old Pittsburg hotlinks. That cat ate 4 links, went home, and shit liquid all over the inside. Neighbors were replacing carpet and a couch 3 days later. Never saw the cat again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Step 2) Do it.

Attachment Attached File

Yup.  Animals are stupid.  Train their owners.  Shit all over the house is a fantastic motivator.  Hell OP, maybe you’ll get lucky and they’ll kill their own dog for you after the shitocalypse.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#42]
The dog has been over 5 times that I know of in the last 24 hours.

Electric fence purchased.

I am beyond livid at these fucks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I sent this message to the owner:

"She's been over at least 5 times since we talked yesterday.  Now I'm having to come home on a work day to rip trees up and put up an electric fence."

His response:

"Well bud do what you got to do."
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The dog has been over 5 times that I know of in the last 24 hours.

Electric fence purchased.

I am beyond livid at these fucks.
View Quote

Live trap and rehome it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Get the dog to trust you, make friends with it and then have your dogs make friends with it.

Then, when it comes over it won't bark but want some petting instead. Maybe.

Once you become friends teach it to not bark.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I sent this message to the owner:

"She's been over at least 5 times since we talked yesterday.  Now I'm having to come home on a work day to rip trees up and put up an electric fence."

His response:

"Well bud do what you got to do."
View Quote

Send him the bill for parts and labor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#47]
A coworker had trouble with a neighbor’s Pitt bull.  He borrowed a fence charger, made a loop out the wire and put a wiener inside the loop.  Pitt bull came over and grabbed the wiener, then got shocked by the wire.  Somehow it started rolling and got tangled in the wire.  Guy shut the charger off and got the dog untangled.  Dog hauled ass home and never returned to get what was left of the wiener.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Plot twist:  This was a reverse data mining thread to expose who among us is an undercover ATF agent.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know the answer , but maybe it takes leaded gasoline for it to work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Electric fence charger and hot wire is going to be your most direct solution. Get a good one. Once the dog gets hit with the hot wire it won't want to come back. The fence charger can sit there and run practically forever depending what it is. Make sure you have a very good ground rod. When fences fail it is almost always a problem with the ground. Fence chargers are absolutely patient, and they instantly reset.

Charger.
wire.
ground rod of some sort.
step-in posts.

The charger can be plugin, or solar, or replaceable battery.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top