BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes it is. Along with another dozen or so vehicles that you can "recharge" at any fossil fuel station and be on your way.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither - I'm just saying that if someone IS thinking of buying a Tesla for $125K, the Panamera 4S is a kick-ass alternative.

Yes it is. Along with another dozen or so vehicles that you can "recharge" at any fossil fuel station and be on your way.

Spoken as someone who obviously knows nothing about the Tesla.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Instant torque is instant.

View Quote

This..
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
This video is horrible. The Hellcat driver red-lighted and then kept slamming his foot into it again causing loss of traction. It's not a car problem but the nut behind the wheel. A Hellcat is good for low-11's stock. It's also $59,995 base MSRP versus $98,170(includes incentives) for the base Tesla P85D.

I'd take a Hellcat in a heartbeat. It's a lot of car for the money but we'll see a lot of Darwinism in action with this vehicle because it's power far exceeds the capabilities of 90% of it's owners.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So you mean Obama's electric vehicle initiative product destroyed the old fashioned American V8 muscle? YAY OBAMA!!!
View Quote
Your mental gymnastics would win gold at the Olympics.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow. That was a beating! They are cool, but I like my sports cars to have sound. Just cant get passed that one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fancy cars don't excite me like they did a decade ago.
Land acquisition is what gets me all riled up nowadays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I test drove the Tesla P85D on Sunday and the instant torque on that thing was awesome. Threw my head back into the seat. It was also neat how when you lift off the accelerator the car breaks on it's own.  Only time you have to press the break peddle is to stop completely.

But at the $125k price tag my dad is considering other options.

I'd buy an M5 and 8,000 gallons of Premium Unleaded.

Or, do what my wife did, and buy a Panamera.  The Tesla was the other car she was considering.

Fancy cars don't excite me like they did a decade ago.
Land acquisition is what gets me all riled up nowadays.

Amen.

As a general rule, land doesn't age or depreciate like a vehicle...but thats just my experience.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither - I'm just saying that if someone IS thinking of buying a Tesla for $125K, the Panamera 4S is a kick-ass alternative.

LOL. I know all I need to know.

If I wanted to leave right now and go to my property outside of Asheville, NC, I would have to drive for 45 minutes and stop at the nearest supercharger station and top off (30 minutes) so that I would then have enough juice to make it to Atlanta.
I would have to stop in downtown Atlanta (not able to use the 285 bypass like a normal driver would) and recharge (45 minutes) for the remainder of the trip to NC.

While in Asheville, I can plug into my 110v extension cord and rack up an incredible 20 miles of range per hour of charge while I sit and stare at my beautiful electric car.

Oh yeah buddy, where do i sign up?

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't turn one down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should have at least got a driver.  That, and the Challenger is a pretty gal but she's fat.

Half the price, though.

I really wish that Dodge's design/styling team would go to work for a real car company.  They do put out some sexy looking shitty vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wouldn't buy a car that breaks that easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I test drove the Tesla P85D on Sunday and the instant torque on that thing was awesome. Threw my head back into the seat. It was also neat how when you lift off the accelerator the car breaks brakes on it's own.  Only time you have to press the break peddle brake pedal is to stop completely.

But at the $125k price tag my dad is considering other options.

I wouldn't buy a car that breaks that easily.

The braking on its own would be the side effects  of regenerative braking. Turns the motors into generators   by reversing   polarity
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.

If you haven't driven one, you have no idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Instant torque is instant.

This.

If you haven't driven one, you have no idea.

I'm a big fan of Tesla.  It's the beginning of the end of the ICE in my opinion.  

The above video is a poor comparison, though.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
11.6 and only 114 mile an hour? Did he let up at the end?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow. That was a beating! They are cool, but I like my sports cars to have sound. Just cant get passed that one.
View Quote

The tesla does, whatever you happen to want on the radio.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Bad launch.

Race from a roll to compare cars.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If I wanted to leave right now and go to my property outside of Asheville, NC, I would have to drive for 45 minutes and stop at the nearest supercharger station and top off (30 minutes) so that I would then have enough juice to make it to Atlanta.
I would have to stop in downtown Atlanta (not able to use the 285 bypass like a normal driver would) and recharge (45 minutes) for the remainder of the trip to NC.

While in Asheville, I can plug into my 110v extension cord and rack up an incredible 20 miles of range per hour of charge while I sit and stare at my beautiful electric car.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tesla.com would be a great place to sign up.    The more the merrier.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Or me in my crew cab Silverado...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing a Civic could have beaten a driver that bad.  

Or me in my crew cab Silverado...

Even professional guys in the NHRA smoke em from the line sometimes.  

both cars are awesome
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Seems like purely a driver issue.
View Quote

Yeah. He red lighted straight away.

Leavers lose.

Hellcat guy didn't have a clue as to what he was doing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll bet that Tesla kills that hellcat in the first turn too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Assuming they're both good drivers and both running factory stock tires, the Hellcat should post a slightly lower ET every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

False start, spinning his tires... yeah, the Hellcat driver was a dumbass. I'd like to see what the Model S D does against a Hellcat with good drivers in both cars.

Assuming they're both good drivers and both running factory stock tires, the Hellcat should post a slightly lower ET every time.

wrong. you need a good driver for the hellcat. for p85d you just need a fast reaction time. the car does it all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People who own $80k+ cars generally have more than one. If you need to take a road trip and have no way to recharge...take your other car. The one with the gas tank.

Seriously, it's not hard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Spinning ain't winning.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

wrong. you need a good driver for the hellcat. for p85d you just need a fast reaction time. the car does it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

False start, spinning his tires... yeah, the Hellcat driver was a dumbass. I'd like to see what the Model S D does against a Hellcat with good drivers in both cars.

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I really wish that Dodge's design/styling team would go to work for a real car company.  They do put out some sexy looking shitty vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should have at least got a driver.  That, and the Challenger is a pretty gal but she's fat.

Half the price, though.

I'm not a Chrysler/Dodge guy by any means, but my neighbors 300 SRT is a fantastic looking and sounding car. But knowing that its a 50K Chrysler? Visions of random things peeling off, gear grinding instead of meshing, engines not engining, etc....

Maybe not fair anymore, I dunno. But hard to toss that image of Chrysler quality....
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bad launch.

Race from a roll to compare cars.
View Quote

I've driven a tesla s. you really don't want to do that either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#27]
My driving record only allows me to drive my duramax
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People who own $80k+ cars generally have more than one. If you need to take a road trip and have no way to recharge...take your other car. The one with the gas tank.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, that is what I was saying.  

^^^^ That means putting gas in them.

What's not hard is finding my lug nut socket, or tightening the lug nuts on my Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And that's the continual problem for me (and part of the reason my wife didn't buy a Tesla).  

Essentially, to own a Tesla, you still need to own a "normal" car.  

That means the Tesla isn't properly car, it's something else (a toy, a status symbol or whatever), which has some of the functionality of a car, but not enough that it can be your ONLY car (for most people).
View Quote

How often do you really take 300 mile road trips without a supercharger on the route somewhere?

Just take the Mustang.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm an American v8 fan but mark my words, In less than ten years the fastest production car will be electric.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Fist post nails it.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fist post nails it.....
I missed a fist post?  Damn.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it isn't. The scenario you're describing is only an inconvenience to somebody who owns one car. With the possible exception of people who live in places like San Francisco or New York City proper, people with the money to buy a Model S will simply take the other nice car they already own for those odd times they need to do a road trip without a supercharging station along the route.

I don't tow a trailer with my Miata, either. Fancy that shit - I own a Jeep too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I think it's pretty cool that an electric production car is turning 11's stock. We are living in a golden age of horsepower/torque right now. So many cool fast cars to choose from.
I like anything that's fast, and interesting. Competition breeds excellence in all things.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No it isn't. The scenario you're describing is only an inconvenience to somebody who owns one car. With the possible exception of people who live in places like San Francisco or New York City proper, people with the money to buy a Model S will simply take the other nice car they already own for those odd times they need to do a road trip without a supercharging station along the route.

I don't tow a trailer with my Miata, either. Fancy that shit - I own a Jeep too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  

So let me get this straight. The Tesla is a great car, as long as you have another, real car incase you need to travel over 265 miles in an emergency situation, or don't want to be inconvenienced with finding charging stations.

That does sound awesome.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Pulled this off of challengertalk..

The driver of the Hellcat explained the race against the Tesla....

"The Hellcat was called out at Street Drags today at Palm Beach International Raceway ! I raced against the owner of Drag Times Magazine's 700 Hp Tesla ! Sorry guys I couldn't get it to hook up , so I did one better ! Burned out a full 1/8 of a mile ! I have to say , there were hundreds of people coming over and taking pictures of the Hellcat ! It's like an anomaly , from young kids to grandpas , people just love this car!"

"I was actually rushed into this , I was called out over the PA system in front of everyone! So I said to myself , if I don't hook up that I would give them a show!"
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
<snip>
My current car, although it is a Honda, is almost 10 years old, and I am not confident enough in a 10 year old car to want to rely on that for an emergency either.  So the dilemma for us was, in order to buy a Tesla, we would essentially ALSO have had to replace my car.  We'd have to buy the Tesla AND a "real" car, in order to be prepared for an emergency long-distance trip.  
View Quote

Yeah after reading that, you definitely made the right choice, all things considered.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think it's pretty cool that an electric production car is turning 11's stock. We are living in a golden age of horsepower/torque right now. So many cool fast cars to choose from.
I like anything that's fast, and interesting. Competition breeds excellence in all things.
View Quote

It's faster than a golf cart.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cool.  

So let me get this straight. The Tesla is a great car, as long as you have another, real car incase you need to travel over 265 miles in an emergency situation, or don't want to be inconvenienced with finding charging stations.

That does sound awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  

That does sound awesome.

Yes. It really is a fucking nice car.

My daily driver only has two seats (and that's one too many 90% of the time). When I take the family somewhere, I don't use it.

It's a great car as long as you have another real car, in case you need to carry more than one passenger.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#41]
That was the worst driving I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Contrived
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
11.6 and only 114 mile an hour? Did he let up at the end?
View Quote

They don't have the grunt past 100mph, I'm sure they could but I assume that requires too much power from the batteries.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've heard from lots of sources (including edmunds.com who tested a Tesla for a year) about how OFTEN Teslas need repair and replacement parts, etc.  So I guess it's important to have a company that can respond quickly when their product continually breaks a lot.

lol

The one time (so far) that we called Porsche for an appointment for service (a slight glitch in the entertainment center that was occasionally annoying), they told me to bring it in the next morning and had the loaner waiting for me when I arrived.

My wife called Porsche today to schedule a routine maintenance service, and they told her to come in tomorrow morning.

Yeah, those sure are "very long windows"

To use your own words, your post is "spoken like someone who obviously knows nothing about Porsche"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference for me was the company.  Tesla has yet to play a single game with me, on anything.   They sent people to my home to replace parts, hell even some of the body armor stuff they sent people to my home.  If I have any problem, they either send a truck out to me, or will send someone to pick up the car to bring down to Phoenix for me.  Every update  gets applied either automatically, or they send someone to do the update.    (I gained an extra  5% range on the latest software upgrade, done overnight, while I slept.)

Contrasted with Porsche, where it was always a gamble whether they would honor an obvious in warranty complaint.    I prefer the companies I buy from cater to me, than I need to be catering to them.  Tesla comes to me,
YMMV.

Yeah, I've heard from lots of sources (including edmunds.com who tested a Tesla for a year) about how OFTEN Teslas need repair and replacement parts, etc.  So I guess it's important to have a company that can respond quickly when their product continually breaks a lot.

Porsche requires a very long window for an appointment.

lol

The one time (so far) that we called Porsche for an appointment for service (a slight glitch in the entertainment center that was occasionally annoying), they told me to bring it in the next morning and had the loaner waiting for me when I arrived.

My wife called Porsche today to schedule a routine maintenance service, and they told her to come in tomorrow morning.

Yeah, those sure are "very long windows"

To use your own words, your post is "spoken like someone who obviously knows nothing about Porsche"

Fair enough, Scottsdale Porsche has never gotten me in sooner than a couple of days out.  That doesn't work for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Cool.  

That does sound awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  

That does sound awesome.

Like anything, you have to start somewhere. All electric cars are no exception. (Yes I know they were around a century ago)
You should be thankful for people with money that want to be early adopters, it keeps things moving forward so we can buy the same tech for cheap at some point down the road.

I'm just not sure if you're hate in this arena makes any sense.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Concur
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Cool.  

That does sound awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  

That does sound awesome.

Are you inconvenienced finding a gas station?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure I understand your question?
Gas stations are everywhere, electric vehicle charging stations are not.

Of course more and more are coming online, but they are still too few and far between for me to even consider an electric vehicle.
If I can't go hop in any of my vehicles and drive where I need to go without mapping special routes and allowing extra time for "fill ups" I'm not interested.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To these guys, it is that hard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Of course more and more are coming online, but they are still too few and far between for me to even consider an electric vehicle.

If I can't go hop in any of my vehicles and drive where I need to go without mapping special routes and allowing extra time for "fill ups" I'm not interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAT?!

Every fucken outlet, every dryer outlet, every damn outlet of just about every type is a CHARGING STATION.

You don't need a ChargePoint or a Supercharger to charge

You realize teslas and every electric car sold comes with portable chargers right?  And the secret is that the "charger" isn't a charger, it's actually just a GFCI type device to protect the user... the chargers are built into the cars.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top