[#1]
That was horrible, just horrible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Okay, now I've GOT to see this when I get home.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anyone notice that the first hog is still kickin', while the second hog is spurtin'?

every  deer/hog ive shot   twicth's,,moves, jerks,,  does somethig after being hit. that 2nd pig prolly came up with in a min or so ofthe 1st.  by then its  just  reflex jerks..

i shot a deer  3times,,on the run in canada. about 120+ yrds up hill from me. i was useing a 32winspcl( lil larger than a 30-30) shot,it jumped ran down hill at me, every timeit wentto jump around a rock or tree i shot.  finally at 45 yrds it stood behind atree for 10-15 seconds...walked 10 yrds,,stoppped,,walked 10 more.... i  got a 3rd clear shot,, finally dropped the deer. after it rolle ddown hill 20 ft,,, came to rest  lay'd still fer 10 second then tried to get up!! meanhile its 23f and snowing and im trying  to reload  in case it gets up again!   all 3 shots were  lung heart  shots,,with clean exits,,, damn thing just never saw me,, and had no idea wtf was going on! just walking dead!
also shot a doe with a 300wsm,,she ran 75yrds with no lungs or heart... saw my father stopped,,dad went to go shoot her ,, she twicthed and fell dead! if the doe hadnt seen him,,she  woulda ran and easy 100-150yrds!  perfect inteh arm pit with 6 inch exit wound,,,  still running!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kinda gratuidous (sp) if you ask me.

Killing for sport is gratuitous....but then I find it less vulgar than reality TV so there ya go.

I have no problem with hunting.

I dont even have a problem with getting rid of pests. I know that wild hogs can tear the shit out of property and they breed like rabbits (Saw an National Geographic special on them).

But I guess taping and then posting a hog sqealing its head off while it spewing blood is a bit of gratuitous gore.

Sure - you gotta kill the hog.  And sure - dying isnt always pretty. I guess I can see taping it - maybe for use in a promotional video or for private use. But I guess editing it and posting it on the internet just for the gore factor a bit sick. Hell - I woulda shot it again.

Then again - I have a pig phobia from when I was little. Always hated those noisey, smelly fuckers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Then again - I have a pig phobia from when I was little. Always hated those noisey, smelly fuckers.

I guess you watched Disneys Old Yeller too much...............I know IT was sad.........

Ol' Yeller.....come back ol' yeller.........best goddarn dog in the west.......................................
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
X2 on the "That's nice"

A deer hunting Texas native (Kingsville good enough for you?) Californian that won't shoot over a feeder ever again.

Brian

Holy crap, ANOTHER California hunter! What's that, 5 so far in this thread? (6 counting freeride21a but he moved last year and I accidently counted him before)

You guys better lay low or swingset will draw down a geographical heckling on your asses!

Yup, I stand corrected. California is apparently mostly conservative hunters, and not the liberal bastion of retards, whiners and liberal pussies I once thought it was. So, how long till you guys get your AW's back?

Yeah, thought so.

Didn't Columbus ban AWs? IIRC, Ohio doesn't have a state preemption clause, which means cities can enact local ordinances far stricter than state law.

That's one problem we don't have. Local bans do not fly it in California. The state has preemption. Several California cities have tried to ban AWs completely (even registered AWs) and failed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The first pig was still kickin' after the second one was shot.  There was an obvious splice in the footage so it's hard to tell the lapse.  I'm pro-hunting all the way, but I hate seeing an animal suffer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#9]
(except squirrels)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wonder what they were shootin with?

Is it legal in most places to set a sort of bait for animals?

22.250?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Holy craaaap!

Email that to PETA!

- BG

LOL - Those PETA people will be squealing just like that little piggy!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes it was, there were some pigs that got away!!!

MMMMM....Pork Sausage....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wonder what they were shootin with?

Is it legal in most places to set a sort of bait for animals?

in texas yes

What you didn't see, was the smoker positioned just a few feet BEHIND the camera.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Woo Hoo.

That's AWESOME.

I LOVED the way the mist of blood was spraying out on every breath. (ya I'm a jackass and I know it)

That almost makes me want to go gun hunting tonight. I guess I will stick to my bow. I wished I could get some to come in during the daylight for me.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#15]
When I p-dog snipe, I hate it when I dont get a clean shot, a follow up shot usually does the trick.
1 in the hind ... uh hum.. quarter, they try to drag themselves back to the den, one in the head or COM does it. Or the land from doing a few back flips might render them unconcious  

I amy have taken a second pop at its melon just to shut him up, but I still woulda filmed and posted it
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool video.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm pro-hunting all the way, but I hate seeing an animal suffer.

I completely agree.

Those suckers are just tough though, that was a good shot.

Dying hurts, things make noise when they die a painful death.

I would have shot again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag for home.

I really want to go hog hunting one day.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The first pig was still kickin' after the second one was shot.  There was an obvious splice in the footage so it's hard to tell the lapse.  I'm pro-hunting all the way, but I hate seeing an animal suffer.

Is there a nice way to shoot a living creature? Do you think their fate would have been better or more pleasant if it were a predator eating them instead of a human? Every animal suffers when it dies in order to be someone else's dinner... Meat doesn't from the grocery store, you know.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]
That is going to be a lot of bacon
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

This coming from a guy who's screenname is Slaughter!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gee thats nice....

Oh, you're from California, I should explain. In the other 49 states, people enjoy hunting animals, and some of them even eat their prey.

I hope you don't think your pork chops died of natural causes.

The hunter hurried his shot because the hog was about to move into cover to the left of the screen,
Although he made a clean shot he should have fired a second when he saw his prey in agony.

Ideally it's one shot with a quick kill.

No one likes to see any animals suffer, even for a half a minute.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm with you Tras. In my opinion that was just plain sick. If you are unable to take a clean shot
then you should wait until a better one arises. I don't care how much of a nuisance those animals
were, but they shouldn't have suffered like that. Then to glorify the kill for everyone to see, well that was just wrong. If your that poor of a shot, maybe it's time to do a little more practicing at the range........
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#24]
How many here have actually shot bacon.

They are tough bastards,  unless you hit em in the brain pan it's gonna be a few before they stop,  hell even if you do hit em in the brain they do that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Unless you destroy the lower part of the brain, animals sometimes still move a bit as everything discharges.

I'm pretty sure that first pig was clinically dead when it hit the ground.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gee thats nice....

Oh, you're from California, I should explain. In the other 49 states, people enjoy hunting animals, and some of them even eat their prey.

I hope you don't think your pork chops died of natural causes.

I thought it was like wool.....they just take off the chops and they grow back...jeez, this changes everything..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#27]
In these types of threads, you can always tell the hunters from the guys who have never shot an animal.

Like other posters have said, you can completely destroy the heart of an animal (or a human, for that matter) and it will still live long enough to twitch around and scream and in some cases run away.  The only way to get an instant death is to shoot for the head which typically is not a good idea since you can miss the animal's brain and REALLY cause them to suffer.

I have shot a deer between the eyes and it still laid on the ground and twitched for about 15 seconds.  It was just a nervous reaction since that deer had no brain left and the bullet exited her head and destroyed an inch long section of her spine with the second entry (shot was fired at a downward angle).

Animals are tougher than humans because they don't have logic telling them "I'm going to die so I guess I'll just lay down and give up".  Animals will run unbelievable distances after receiving extremely fatal wounds.

Get out in the woods and kill a few things before coming here and preaching about shot placement and unethical hunting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I hunt, I don't like to see animals suffer either but most creatures just don't give up the ghost that easy. It looked like good shots to me. Maybe the hunter didn't shoot again because he figured the pig wouldn't have taken so long to die. Sometimes it's better just to let them lay when they are down, esp when you know it's  a fatal wound. My first deer I shot was still twitching so I kept shooting it, all it really did was ruin meat. I enjoyed the video even though watching the pig die gave me the heebie jeebies, that's just one part of hunting, watching things die isn't the part I like but I didn't make the rules of life and I'm not going to let that one aspect ruin hunting forever.

I also don't see what the big deal is hunting over bait. Some folks have this nostalgic norman rockwell concept of hunters creeping through the forest stalking their prey. I'll bet there are more hunting accidents in this norman rockwell world. Just think for a second, it's hunting season and a hundred or more hunters are supposably traipsing through the woods with "high power rifles" morally stalking their prey.

Carefully places shots on unsuspecting animals happily eating their last meal is a humane and safe way to hunt as far as I'm concerned. I wish I could do it more often. Usually these days it's squirrels peacefully enjoying a meal of birdseed that was not intended for them. Just a few more and my pressure cooker will be full!

margo (not lawdog)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In these types of threads, you can always tell the hunters from the guys who have never shot an animal.

<snip>
Get out in the woods and kill a few things before coming here and preaching about shot placement and unethical hunting.

Man isn't that the truth.

A hunter drops two animals in their tracks, and people start talking about poor shot placement.

Damn, don't post about topics you have no idea about. Poor shots my ass. Those were AWESOME shots.

I would have picked a spot behind the ear, but there is NOTHING wrong with dropping any animal where he stands. Matter of fact it is the ultimate shot, and this hunter did it twice, on camera, within a few seconds/minutes of each other.

He/she had a hell of a hunt and should be proud.

ETA /she
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Observations:

1. Looks tasty. Made me hungry thinking about chops, bacon, sausage, ect...

2. Bolt action. You can hear him working the bolt on it.

3. Stupid pig.

4. Anyone else think there may have been a bit of over penetration on that second pig? You'd think a round skipping off a rib through the lungs woulda expanded a bit more and left a bigger blow hole on the other side. Looks like a fairly defined spray.

5. Need to check with some friends to see if they have a hunt coming up anytime in the next couple months. I need an excuse to go out and buy that second freezer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Man isn't that the truth.

A hunter drops two animals in their tracks, and people start talking about poor shot placement.

Damn, don't post about topics you have no idea about. Poor shots my ass. Those were AWESOME shots.

]

perfect shots IMHO ,,but im sure the  lawn chair  ebr hunters will say cuz it aint a behind the ear at 600yrds kill shot it sucks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#33]
They were good shots.  Both went down and died within a minute of being shot.  Animals are tough.  Even the lowly prairie dog will twitch, scream and kick when hit with a .308 HPBT in the guts.  

But, I don't call that "hunting."  It's more like sniping, but I don't really care.  If I had pigs tearing up my property and eating my stuff, I'd snipe the bastards too.  I've done it racoons and possum as well as squirrels and birds that were tearing up my house.  

Bacon tastes good.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you Tras. In my opinion that was just plain sick. If you are unable to take a clean shot
then you should wait until a better one arises. I don't care how much of a nuisance those animals
were, but they shouldn't have suffered like that. Then to glorify the kill for everyone to see, well that was just wrong. If your that poor of a shot, maybe it's time to do a little more practicing at the range........

That looked like a good shot to me. The animal was already dead, it just didn't quite know it yet. How long have you been hunting?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Since we are on the subject of animals that are dead and don't know it. Has anyone here shot a rabbit in the head?  I used to hunt coyote in AZ and would take a rabbit if I got the chance.  I shot three at close range in the head with a .223 loaded with 55 grain soft points (sorry but it was not an AR).  These rabbits with literally no head still kicked for at least 10 seconds.  If the jackrabbit I shot had not fallen over with the shot he could have gone 50 yards.  It really is kind of freaky to watch.

ETA: the jackrabbit made a good stew.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Yep, that's what it looks like when you make a hart/lung shot. It ain't hollywood boy, you don't just pull the trigger and the animal drops in his track. It don't work that way when you make a hart/lung shot.  In most cases the animal drowns or bleeds out. It's a slow unpleasant process. Those that haven't done alot of hunting expect the animal to drop in their tracks, hollywood style. The only way that happens is if you make a perfect head shot - then you've got to cut the throat to bleed the animal anyway. It's not pretty or as clean as going to the grocery and picking up a pack of jimmy deans. Spend a little time on a working ranch or farm, you'll find out how the world really works. It ain't pretty and it don't smell nice.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Bunch of pussy hunters. Have to bait because they are too fucking lazy to hunt like real men. Fuck those assholes.

I'd like to take their guns and bust them over their fucking heads.

Pussies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice shot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Bunch of pussy hunters. Have to bait because they are too fucking lazy to hunt like real men. Fuck those assholes.

Pussies.

Come on to Texas.....I know a few thousand hunters you could try that on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#40]
i'm not a hunter but those shots looked pretty good to me.  dropped the animals where they stood and they were dead within a short amount of time.  sure as hell beats having a wounded animal which gets away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Gee thats nice....

HAHAAHAHAH

What do you expect ?  Pigs that just crawl up on your plate to eat !?!?!

Oh, nevermind, I see where you are posting from...    

LB

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Mmmm.....Bacon!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pussies.

Come on to Texas.....I know a few thousand hunters you could try that on.

That's nice..... Guess that you need to try and bait me too...

If you are going to hunt, and least HUNT. Christ, that isn't hunting, that is sitting on your ass waiting for the pigs to show up, 'cuz you are too damn lazy to get off your fat ass and move.

Baiting is a practice that should be illegal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#47]
That's not hunting, That's Spawn Camping.

BTW, I just got back from a javelina HUNT, you know, where you have to go out and find the animal, sneak up on it, and hope to get a shot. Sometimes you don't, but it's what makes it exciting when you do.

Canned hunts, feeder hunts, ranch hunts, I just don't see the challenge, everyone takes home meat every year, and the only suffering they do is if the battery on their seat warmer dies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
That's not hunting, That's Spawn Camping.

BTW, I just got back from a javelina HUNT, you know, where you have to go out and find the animal, sneak up on it, and hope to get a shot. Sometimes you don't, but it's what makes it exciting when you do.

Canned hunts, feeder hunts, ranch hunts, I just don't see the challenge, everyone takes home meat every year, and the only suffering they do is if the battery on their seat warmer dies.

What if you were in a wheelchair?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How many here have actually shot bacon.

They are tough bastards,  unless you hit em in the brain pan it's gonna be a few before they stop,  hell even if you do hit em in the brain they do that.

Exactly.  See?   Someone that gets it.   And he's from (OMG) California!  

Two good, DEAD pigs that (hopefully) were in a smoker or a grinder soon afterward.

I have no problem with them being dead, or even the way they died, but it's not hunting. The only difference between this and just shooting a domestic pig while in it's pen is that you have to carry your lunch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Hillarious.

That second pig had that "HAHA you filled your tag" look when he turned and faced the camera.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top