Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If I lost the amount of blood to lead to shock, I could absolutely see loss of consciousness.

However, I've never lost that amount of blood.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Loss of blood is only one kind of shock. (hypovolemic)

They all involved poor perfusion.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If I lost the amount of blood to lead to shock, I could absolutely see loss of consciousness.

However, I've never lost that amount of blood.

Blood loss is not the only shock inducer.

In farm animals, we called it 'sulling' when a cow, or horse, would simply become so overloaded with stimulus or resistance to stimulus that they passed out.

It is a mechanism for the brain to use to take itself out of a situation in which it feels it has no control.  

I believe that fainting, from fright, fear, stress, indicates a person would also be susceptible to hypnosis.  In those scenarios, the person's brain is controlling the response itself, no the environment or injury.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
It is a very unpleasant experience.  I do not recommend it.

First you get light-headed, then nauseous, then weak, all in short order.  Start feeling colder and colder as you get more weak and light headed.  It's scary, meaning fear is a symptom, you will be afraid even if you know exactly what's going on.  You'll start getting tunnel vision, the edges of your vision going dark, and that darkness will expand until you pass out.

Lay down, elevate your feet, breathe.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I knocked myself out while making a home made taser...

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I was in a wreck involving two mules and an aluminum boat.  

The guy I worked for decided we were going to take a few mules and an aluminum boat into a wilderness area.  No wheels allowed.  We got the mules saddled and he said to me, "Just put a half hitch in your rope around the saddle horn so if the mules bolt you can just let go. "  I did and while I was tying it I noticed he did a loop with an overhand knot.  Once the mules started dragging the aluminum boat the noise made them go berserk!  My mule went down, I stepped off, the coolest dismount ever, then noticed my boss was trapped between the mules when mine struggled back to its feet.  I jumped into the melee and got him out but the boat caught me behind the legs and knocked me down.  I was drug along under the boat for about a hundred feet, getting tumbled by the boat seat and the gravel, until the boss's mule went down.  As I was sticking my head out from under the boat the mule gave a kick while laying on its side that missed my head by such a close margin I felt the hair on my head move with the passing of the hoof.  The mule got up, I crawled out and there was blood everywhere.  My blood, mule blood, but no serious injuries.  I started to get shocky, recognized what was happening and started self treating for it because I thought I was going out.  When I woke up later the guys said I kept giving them instructions on how to care for me right up until my eyes rolled back and I passed out.  I was out for about 15 minutes, came back and we resumed the trip.  It was a great week after that!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Mind blanks out hard impacts,.
All of my serious  cycle and auto crash memories are minus the ACTUAL moment of impact, or contact with the ground.
 Always, the  first memory of aftermath is   getting up, or chasing after the bike, or climbing out of wreckage.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is a very unpleasant experience.  I do not recommend it.

First you get light-headed, then nauseous, then weak, all in short order.  Start feeling colder and colder as you get more weak and light headed.  It's scary, meaning fear is a symptom, you will be afraid even if you know exactly what's going on.  You'll start getting tunnel vision, the edges of your vision going dark, and that darkness will expand until you pass out.

Lay down, elevate your feet, breathe.

+1, that is exactly how I felt in the above story...
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Heavy MX crash last year.  Broken bones and concussion.  Was being helped off the track and kept saying, "Im going out..." sat down, went in and out about 3 times. Sucked.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In 6th grade, one of the other boys in the class passed out during during a sex ed film.

Oh, that reminds me of my friend that passed out during the eye safety film in machine trades.

He stood up, started for the door and melted against the wall. Of course, being a trade school, the teacher thought he was high or drunk. I had to explain, no, he just doesn't deal with blood or gore.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think I passed out from shock at some point in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1440423_Michelle_Jenneke_in_a_Bikini.html

I didn't pass out, but did get light headed, as mentioned before. The massive amount of blood rushing away from my brain makes it hard to concentrate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes...vasovagal response is common.  Many people are physically predisposed to it.  

Look, if you receive enough trauma (or unexpected) your brain will subconsciously try to protect you mentally from the pain or stress or shock.  It's a lot like turning off the lights.  you get tunnel vision and the next thing you know you wake up and may be nauseated dizzy, or sweating.  It's much more common than you'd think.

I know this because i have a strong vagal response and i've treated others...

***former combat medic, U.S. Army***
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how that works. I've never fainted from anything or been knocked out so the concept is one I have a hard time understanding. What's it like? Can you even remember it?

I got knocked out once from being shocked by 600 volts it dried out my joints as well which cause them to hurt for a week or so. As far as remember it no I don't  I can remember the events leading up to it and the next thing I know I am laying down shaking and I can hear my BIL asking me if I am OK but I could not answer him or even see him for a short time. I was laying on the roof at least 10 feet away from where I was working on the other side of a HVAC unit. According to my BIL who saw the whole thing I flew backwards over the HVAC unit and landed on the roof But I dont remember any of that. I do know that I was out of work for a week because of the joint pain and my doctor said if it didn't start getting better pretty quick I would need to take shots to replace the fulid in my joints.

As far as fainting I passed out one time at the doctors office while they took blood it has only happen one time in my life . I have a friend who would pass out every time he saw his own blood it is funny since blood and guts don't bother him unless it is his.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, and I remember everything up to the point I hit the floor.

I think it's an adrenaline dump induced from panic response.

It sucks because I know it's going to happen.

I have not found a damn thing I can do about it other than find an ice pack and get horizontal quick.

Blood does not bother me, broken bones don't bother me, but peel me open, game over.

Anything involving the knees too.  I can watch a full on facial reconstruction surgery, but threaten to stick a needle into my knee and I will be on the floor one way or another.

Only neat part is the dull thud sensation when I hit.  It's kind of fun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Once from shock,once from blood loss.

I ran a finger through a spinning motorcycle wheel and was ok when I got my glove off but I fainted while trying to do first aid.I'd seen far worse before but seeing bone and spurting blood did it.

The latter time I had a horrible case of the norovirus and was projectile vomiting blood.It had gone on for 24 hours and I had been reduced to crawling on all 4s as I couldn't stand up but I'd become so disgusting with filth  all over that I crawled into the bathroom to attempt to change clothes and rinse my mouth out.When I stood up to change my shorts,I fainted but luckily fell in something close to the rescue position as I proceeded to continue puking.

Are you ready for the best part? I'm naked,on the floor in a puddle of congealing and fresh blood.My elderly dad who lives with me STEPPED OVER ME AND LEFT ME THERE.I tried swearing at him but was too weak. A couple hours later my brother stopped by and got me help;my dad was having brunch.I have a pic of where I was laying and it looks like a murder scene as one of the deputies took it in case I died
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I've passed out so many times I can't recall them all.
First time was as a child of about 14, passed out from being VERY ill.  My blood pressure tends to run low to begin with.

It's weird, it's like a "gap" in time that you cannot account for at all.  Sometimes I pass out so quickly I can't even tell it's coming on.  I've been lucky twice and had men standing by who caught me before my head hit the concrete.

ETA:  On the times I got fair warning, this is a very good description of what happens:
First you get light-headed, then nauseous, then weak, all in short order. Start feeling colder and colder as you get more weak and light headed. It's scary, meaning fear is a symptom, you will be afraid even if you know exactly what's going on. You'll start getting tunnel vision, the edges of your vision going dark, and that darkness will expand until you pass out

When I had radionuclide and passed out from it, I didn't get a lot of warning.  I had to stand to be injected.  When that stuff hit my system, it was like a bolt of heat and as soon as it hit center, I was OUT.  It was SO quick.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I was getting a bunch of shots once.  Taken some in each arm, nurse was administering the second one into my arse.  Next thing I remember is being on the floor and seeing the nurse running out of the room yelling for a Dr.

It's no different than being knocked out.  It's euphoric...like instantly transported into a deep, dreaming sleep.  Then you come to just as suddenly and have to think for a second about what just happened, how did I end up here.  In this case I was talking with the nurse right before I went down.  When I came to I couldn't remember what I said 20 seconds prior to hitting the floor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I knocked myself out while making a home made taser...

I rost.

Details. Diagrams.  MS Paint, bitch!

TRG
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Only been knocked out once for sure, it happened when I was 12 years old. I was riding an ATV next to a pond at a friend's hunting camp and going a little too fast. Not sure what I hit, but whatever it was, the ATV went into the water and I flew off, hit my face (mostly my forehead) on an oak branch hard enough that I took the bark off of it, then landed on my kidneys on the handlebars and rolled off into the water. I don't know how long I was out, but the last thing I remember was losing control on the ATV and then I woke up sputtering and coughing as I came up out of the water. The impact literally knocked the sock and shoe off my left foot. Walked back to the house, got cleaned up, laid down while everybody was packing stuff up to come home, and we left to come back. On the way home we stopped at a truck stop to refuel and take a leak and I collapsed at the urinal because my back hurt so bad I could barely walk.

After I got shot a few years ago, I had a drain tube inserted in my arm to keep the wound channel from filling up with blood and other shit while it healed... I think it was the second to last day I was in there, the nurse came in the room to remove the tube and realized it was stuck so on a countdown from three to one, when she hit two she just tore it out. I screamed like a bitch and remember crying for a few minutes and then I woke up like three hours later with the worst headache I've ever had in my life, but I'm not sure if I actually passed out or just fell asleep.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Sort of... when I was young and dumb I shot myself point blank in the hand with a paintball gun.  Everything went white and I had to sit down to keep from falling over.  Yes it hurt after the initial shock.
Never did that again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep.  I was watching a particularly gory drivers Ed video in high school and the next thing I know I'm on the floor looking up at the teacher.  Came close another time while watching "Interview with a Vampire" had to go to the restroom and collect myself :-/

I came close another time after getting stabbed in the hand by a catfish barb. The damn thing went all the way in until the fish was flush with my hand.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Had a buddy who was at a party and someone told a really gross story that made him pass out.  I think he was too embarrassed to go into the details, or shit, maybe he didn't want to pass out again.  

Women fainted back in the day because of super tight corsets.  That's the girdle thing around their waist.  Not sure if modern people still faint.  I'd have to imagine female actors are taught it in acting school in case they get cast in a period piece, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#23]
A couple months ago I came close.  I guess you could call it shock but it was really a wild mix of rage, anger, sorrow, fear, and every other negative emotion out there rolled into a blunt and smoked.  I don't really remember about an hour of time and I'm not sure I could see very well.

Impossible to decribe, really.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Passed out from pain once but never from shock.

Same here.

me too
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Been knocked out a couple times, but never passed out from pain.

I once had a major stuffed up head, someone dared me to do this stupid thing where you squat down and exhale a bunch, then stand up quickly. I don't remember standing up, I just remember people suddenly standing over me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 6th grade, one of the other boys in the class passed out during during a sex ed film.

Oh, that reminds me of my friend that passed out during the eye safety film in machine trades.

He stood up, started for the door and melted against the wall. Of course, being a trade school, the teacher thought he was high or drunk. I had to explain, no, he just doesn't deal with blood or gore.

Okay eye safety, I'll give him a pass on that. GROSS. (I have an eye "thing")
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was an EMT, one of the forms of shock was called psychogenic, meaning syncope due to psychological causation. I understand they have since eliminated this term as it has been documented to be utter horseshit in every single case ever treated by anyone with more advanced training than Band Aid application. It had a name, back in the day, which had a racial slur component and an extensive history associated with females of that particular group. It also had a treatment which sometimes involved a miraculous recovery after the EMT uncapped a 14 gauge cannula, lifted the patient's eyelid, and informed the family that that was where he was going to start a line. Other times, sternal rubs were a good source of entertainment.

Twenty five years ago, it was pretty obvious that most of the people who fainted didn't. We weren't buying it, but we had to take the patient to the hospital if she wouldn't knock it off. There are a couple of call sheets with 'paroxsym' and stuff like that noted by yours truly. One of my coworkers may have written 'female hysteria' on some others.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yep.  I was watching a particularly gory drivers Ed video in high school and the next thing I know I'm on the floor looking up at the teacher.  Came close another time while watching "Interview with a Vampire" had to go to the restroom and collect myself :-/

I came close another time after getting stabbed in the hand by a catfish barb. The damn thing went all the way in until the fish was flush with my hand.

Check closely, I suspect you have a vagina.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check closely, I suspect you have a vagina.

TRG

If I did, I'd probably pass out every 28 days.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I dislocated my knee cap once and passed out 3 times before I got a ride to the hospital, I'm assuming it was from the shock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#31]
From shock? No. From pain? No, and theres been a few times I should have. From fear? No. Only time Ive ever went lights out, I still cant explain.  Got up one morning about 25 years ago, went to the bathroom to piss, and the next thing I knew my wife was yelling my name at me to wake up. Stone cold sober, not a pain in the world, I just WILTED!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I went over the handlebars on a bike in college.  Landed on my palms and knees.  I started to get up to dust myself off and check how much skin I'd lost when I realized it was time to sit back down.  I was conscious, but not doing anything.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#33]
You mean shock, like "ahh, I'm scared!" or shock like "Holy fuck, I'm bleeding out" ?

My wife almost did.  Lost a fair amount of blood w/ a miscarriage.

Felt tired, really apathetic, liked the cool sheets of the gurney and wanted to lie on the tile floor.  Lots of ringing in the ears.  Very light headed and nauseous if she stood up quickly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Got a bit light headed last year when I saw my shin bone, not completely pass out though
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#35]
when i was 14 i went skiing, jumped of a mogul and got the unfortunate timing of landing as someones unleashed ski was coming across hill, hit the binding and did a spectacular tumbling helicopter down the hill. sat there and couldnt decide what hurt worse my head or my leg. once i tried to get up i felt a sharp pain, i collappsed and the snow started turning red. i instantly puked and woke up i have no idea how much later being pulled in a sled across the bottom behind a snowmobile. 14 breaks and a bone out the side of my leg later ;luckily i was young enough it healed up perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does 220 volts count?  

220, 221, whatever it takes.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#38]
My grandma was in the hospital after a fall about 5 years ago (I was 20) and I went to visit her.  For some reason once I got in the room I got really hot and walked out to the hallway and i could tell I was going down.  There was a chair and I tried to make it over to it but everything was in slow motion and my legs were heavy.  Next thing I know a nurse wakes me up and I had one heck of a head ache and had hit my teeth on the tile really good.  Heart was beating way way too fast and all my clothing was drenched in sweat.  They wanted me to go o the ER, but that would of just made me pass out again.  I hate hospitals.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
From shock? No. From pain? No, and theres been a few times I should have. From fear? No. Only time Ive ever went lights out, I still cant explain.  Got up one morning about 25 years ago, went to the bathroom to piss, and the next thing I knew my wife was yelling my name at me to wake up. Stone cold sober, not a pain in the world, I just WILTED!

That should have definitely earned a trip to the doc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

really? why? this has happened to me three times in my life also. last time, my came to with my wife screaming at me and my wanger hanging out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

really? why? this has happened to me three times in my life also. last time, my came to with my wife screaming at me and my wanger hanging out.

Many times what people refer to as "shock" is not the same thing that medical-types call "shock".  

Real shock is either septic, hemorrhagic, or hypovolemic.  Any of these conditions cause drop in blood pressure to the point that end-organs become compromised (brain, liver, kidneys, muscle).

Most of the time when people faint from "shock", it is the result of over-stimulation of the vagus nerve (10th cranial nerve).  That condition is termed vaso-vagal syncope.  Heart rate drops, blood pressure drops, tunnel vision starts, hearing goes, and brain turns off.  When their head gets to ground level, brain fills with blood and brain turns back on.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Many times what people refer to as "shock" is not the same thing that medical-types call "shock".  

Real shock is either septic, hemorrhagic, or hypovolemic.  Any of these conditions cause drop in blood pressure to the point that end-organs become compromised (brain, liver, kidneys, muscle).

Most of the time when people faint from "shock", it is the result of over-stimulation of the vagus nerve (10th cranial nerve).  That condition is termed vaso-vagal syncope.  Heart rate drops, blood pressure drops, tunnel vision starts, hearing goes, and brain turns off.  When their head gets to ground level, brain fills with blood and brain turns back on.

This is what happened the three times i was talking about. is it something that warrents a trip to the ER or DR though?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Only when I read GD.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]
In medical terms, shock is hypoperfusion. A lack of nutrients and oxygen getting to the body's organs. Fainting from shock would most likely be non-compensated shock. Which is  a very sign.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I passed out and took a digger in a bowling alley from holding my breath. Fuck you hiccups.

I remember hearing what seemed like me telling myself "Wake up dummy, you can't sleep here!" and the came back like a light switch flipped.

I don't know how bad of an injury I would have to have to go into shock but it hasn't happened yet. Surprised a few people with how lucid I've been after a couple injuries.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what happened the three times i was talking about. is it something that warrents a trip to the ER or DR though?

Nope.

FWIW--I'm residency trained and board certified in Emergency Medicine.  Been an ER doctor for 20 years.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I passed out and took a digger in a bowling alley from holding my breath. Fuck you hiccups.

I remember hearing what seemed like me telling myself "Wake up dummy, you can't sleep here!" and the came back like a light switch flipped.

I don't know how bad of an injury I would have to have to go into shock but it hasn't happened yet. Surprised a few people with how lucid I've been after a couple injuries.

Bearing down (like when having a bowel movement, or when holding your breath to resist hiccups while exerting yourself, like you did) results in vagal stimulation.  Sometimes when someone has a REAL fast heart rate (supraventricular tachycardia), bearing down (Valsalva maneuver) can break the fast heart rhythm and get it back to normal.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#48]
No but there was a few times I wished I could. i have been knocked out, it is like one moment you are doing what you are doing and the next you are wakeing up. sometimes you remember what hit you, but more likely you wont at first. Once after a minor surgury, The first thing I remember after being woke up is my surgion looking down at me with a half smile on his faceing saying 'You Voided," as I was being rolled back to my room.

I asked one or two, but he didnt answer.

I have read that you can make yourself pass out and have auditory hallucinations. I have never done it, but I have read about it. Indians used to do it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I believe I was extremely close. A 750# piece of steel broke my foot.  It didn't hurt but I assume my body didn't allow me to feel the pain.  I began getting light headed, ears ringing, sweats then no sweat, lastly I couldn't see anything but a wall of different colors.

It was all very strange but I'm glad I got to experience it.  I was in a car wreck in which I got a severe concussion, broken wrist and dislocated hip.  I don't remember that night but was told I was conscious and interacting with everyone normally. I always wondered what a state of shock was actually like.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I believe I was extremely close. A 750# piece of steel broke my foot.  It didn't hurt but I assume my body didn't allow me to feel the pain.  I began getting light headed, ears ringing, sweats then no sweat, lastly I couldn't see anything but a wall of different colors.

It was all very strange but I'm glad I got to experience it.  I was in a car wreck in which I got a severe concussion, broken wrist and dislocated hip.  I don't remember that night but was told I was conscious and interacting with everyone normally. I always wondered what a state of shock was actually like.

That isn't shock, but rather anterograde amnesia from the head injury.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top