User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd try it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I always though it was the gravy that made you fat not the rice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I always though it was the gravy that made you fat not the rice.

The gravy doesn't hit you so bad (depending on what's in it, honestly). But rice? Unless it's a side dish, a flat out meal comprised mostly of rice, is a metabolic bomb, unless you happen to be neurotically active. You can certainly work it off. But why?

Even with whole grain long brown rice (which is more or less fine, in my book), you're consuming an ASSLOAD of calories in a rather small amount volumetrically, mostly due to the carbohydrate content of what you're eating. As a side dish, I personally think rice is just dandy. As a main course? If you're hungry as hell for whatever reason (and you're anything like me), you'll eat WAY more than you should, and you probably won't realize you're doing it. And after eating a measly 1 cup of long grain brown rice (all 684 calories of it, and all 143g of carbs), you'll end up very hungry again 2-3 hours later, if you're anything like me. God help you if you reach for the rice, again. Fat assery, here we come.

My opinion? Rice is just Jim Dandy, but not as a dietary staple, as the primary ingredient (by weight) in your meals. You can certainly eat it like a bird (minding your caloric intake of course, which no other animal on earth consciously bothers with), but you'll likely end up lean and perpetually hungry. What a lousy deal.

BTW - "naturally" lean people (you know the ones - they're skinny "no matter what") aren't living in a perpetual state of hunger. If you are, something is amiss.

Just one man's opinion, anyway.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
glucomannan = shit bomb.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Imagine being a survivor in the post apocalypse with little food to eat and coming across a warehouse filled with nothing but this rice and 12packs of Coke Zero.

ROFL
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It could be a good filler so your cal's and carbs stay low.

Yep. Great for people with Diabetes...

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
The spousal unit uses the noodled in a few dishes. Never had the rice, but I just ordered the last 6 pack from Amazon
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Never seen the rice at Whole Foods, but I LOVE shirataki noodles.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's refrigerated.  At mine, it was over by the hummus and kefir.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Still, I'm curious what it actually tastes like.

Like shit, I've tried it.

The shirataki noodles aren't bad but the rice was awful.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's refrigerated.  At mine, it was over by the hummus and kefir.

That's where the noodles are as well.  The shelf life is also pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Put bacon in it. It will taste great than.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$25 steamers cook shitty brown rice.

Serious reply - but really? I ask because my Panasonic Rice steamer was like $25 or $30 and I like the brown rice I make in it. How would one of the $150 jobs do better?

MAybe i need to look into one. My brown rice explodes when i follow the directions and use a pan.

I went on amazon and read reviews. I wanted one that was inexpensive, easy to clean, and had decent reviews. I came up with this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VDKe5ZQML._SS400_.jpg

I have one of these, got it as a housewarming present. Makes awesome Jasmine rice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm reading this thread while stuffing my hand into a 42 oz. bag of M&Ms.

The dark chocolate ones are the best.

I used to live within spitting distance of the factory.  My wife grew up in the same town, and I had an apartment there for a while.  When you can get 'em fresh, peanut M&Ms are like manna from heaven.  You can still taste the roasty-toasty peanut flavor.  You could tell when they were roasting 'em too, because the whole dang valley smelled like heaven.

I eat food so I have calories to burn for energy to complete my daily tasks though.  You know what has even fewer calories than Devil's Scrotum Zero Calorie "Rice"?  Not eating anything.  If I need fewer calories, that works pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Shirataki is people!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#16]
16 hours later...no gastronomical issues.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Miracle Rice make me strong like bull.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$25 steamers cook shitty brown rice.

Serious reply - but really?  I ask because my Panasonic Rice steamer was like $25 or $30 and I like the brown rice I make in it.  How would one of the $150 jobs do better?

Holy fuck, people really spend $150 on rice cookers when you can use a $5 sauce pan and a hot plate?  Are people REALLY that bad at cooking rice on the stove?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Shit, I'll try it. Can't be that bad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shit, I'll try it. Can't be that bad.

If it's like the noodles, they really don't have a whole lot of taste to begin with once you cook them.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Miracle Rice make me strong like bull.

http://www.eatliver.com/img/2006/1618.jpg

I'm mirrin'.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top