Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When Dicks dropped AR15s, I dropped Dicks
View Quote

Same here. I used to spend a lot of money there frequently. Haven't stepped foot in one since I told them why they won't see a single dime from me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

in before the texas members start crying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Academy is based in Texas and Dicks is based in New York, both highly liberal states in the worst 36 states for gun owners, so it's not surprising

You know, I always hear people bitching about Texans claiming we're the greatest....

But I see far more retarded posts like this from butthurt out of staters than I do chest thumping posts from blowhard Texans.  

Go figure.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I thought the owner was an Aggie. I could be way off about that though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe the people that owned or own Academy are huge liberals.

There are, unfortunately....liberal Aggies too.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I sell guns at Academy. 18 for any long gun,21 for handguns and pistol grip shotguns.
Academy will only sell you a firearm with a proceed. you can forget the 3 day period.
View Quote

Ditto. See my post on page one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When Dicks dropped AR15s, I dropped Dicks
View Quote

Same here, that pissed me off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I sell guns at Academy. 18 for any long gun,21 for handguns and pistol grip shotguns.
Academy will only sell you a firearm with a proceed. you can forget the 3 day period.
View Quote

So the important question becomes:  Is the only sell with a proceed a CYA lawyer recommended store policy that's been in place a while, or did they really decide to implement it because these whiners got in their face?

One I understand and don't mind....the other would make me pretty angry.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That can't possibly be real...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I highly doubt it as well.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Naw, Academy got it's start as a surplus store. They have always required a NICS approval for purchase but more for liability issues. My local one even offers transfers now.

Texas anti-gun.. lol!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not real. The account is @momsdeman, not @momsdemand. The account was suspended.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laggie's?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I work at Academy part time. Its 21 for handguns and pistol grip shotguns. 18 for long guns, period. I can's even show a handgun or pistol grip shotgun to anyone under 21. But if you're 18, you can buy any long gun. Academy won't sell a gun without a "Proceed"  or a CCW (at least in MS). IDK about historical data as I have only been there about 2 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure Academy has been that way for years.
Academy will also not sell an AR to anyone under 21.

You sure about that? I got one from Academy at 19.

I work at Academy part time. Its 21 for handguns and pistol grip shotguns. 18 for long guns, period. I can's even show a handgun or pistol grip shotgun to anyone under 21. But if you're 18, you can buy any long gun. Academy won't sell a gun without a "Proceed"  or a CCW (at least in MS). IDK about historical data as I have only been there about 2 months.

An actual pistol grip shotgun needs to be 21.
They would not sell my sister an Ar-15 or 930 with a pistol grip shoulder stock.
They said no assault weapons or pistol grip( don't think the 930 is a pistol grip shotgun) unless 21, even with military ID.
That was a few years ago though.  They may have changed on the ARs.
This thread was from 2010.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/475693_.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Unless it has changed in the last few years the one in corpus will not sell "assault weapons" to anyone under 21.

They would also refuse to sell pistol gripped shotguns unless you were 21.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless it has changed in the last few years the one in corpus will not sell "assault weapons" to anyone under 21.

I work for Academy. It's corporate policy to not proceed with the sale unless we get a "proceed" response from NICS.

Maybe the policy is different in border stores, but my store sells Modern Sporting Rifles to 18 year olds.

A shotgun that has a pistol grip attached is considered an "other" and per Federal law, can't be sold to customers under 21. If the PG is in the box and not attached, 18 is GTG.

A shotgun with a butt stock and a pistol grip is a "shotgun", not "other"

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I work for Academy. It's corporate policy to not proceed with the sale unless we get a "proceed" response from NICS.

Maybe the policy is different in border stores, but my store sells Modern Sporting Rifles to 18 year olds.

A shotgun that has a pistol grip attached is considered an "other" and per Federal law, can't be sold to customers under 21. If the PG is in the box and not attached, 18 is GTG.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that part, but they said this was a pistol grip shotgun.

I don't expect much from them though.  I had to go back an initial the sale date after they forgot to write it on the 4473 last year for a Sig scorpion 1911.
Next time I will just tell them to let the ATF know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't buy anything from them  Let them die.
Edit:  Don't know anything about academy.  Just will never shop at Dicks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

http://whichgun.com/img/firearms/shotguns/mossberg/930-spx-pistol-grip/1.jpg

I don't expect much from them though.  I had to go back an initial the sale date after they forgot to write it on the 4473 last year for a Sig scorpion 1911.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were wrong. That is not considered a pistol grip shotgun.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

and last week, I wandered into my local LGS, found a Glock 43.  They knocked $10 off the price, just because.  I showed them my License and CCW, filled out the 4473 and walked out with the gun in a couple minutes.

Arizona rocks
View Quote
Same way in Georgia. Never had a issue with Academy. Will not buy shit from Dicks, period.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Academy's policy on gun sales is that they must have a proceed in order to transfer a firearm to a customer. Even though you can transfer a firearm to a customer after so many days after a "delay" without a "proceed", they chose not to for liability reasons.

However, ever since the family sold Academy, I've heard the current CEO/owners are liberal
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will they sell any semi-auto to someone under 21?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any non-ar15 semi-auto rifle was GTG I assume. They tried to sell my sister a Mini-14.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Pretty sure Dick's stopped selling handguns and "assault" rifles here in CA.

Still sell handgun ammo.

Never have shopped there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know why they wouldn't sell whatever an "assault weapon" is to <21, but a pistol-grip-only "shotgun" is not legally a shotgun, because in order for a firearm to be a shotgun it has to 1) have a smooth bore and 2) have a shoulder stock.  I realize that everyone calls such a firearm a shotgun, but according to federal law, it's not.  And if it's not a title I rifle or shotgun, an FFL can't legally transfer it to someone who's over 18 but under 21.  Blame Congress.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a pistol transferred through them (after an allegedly pro-murica independent mom/pop shop refused to do it), this was during the gun scare. Noticed they had some pmags so i bought a couple too just cause. Month or so later, there was that announcement (not law or even proposed law) that state legislators are merely thinking about banning standard mags. So the next day i call up jax to see if all the neckbeards bought all the mags, and apparently they did. I ask the clerk when they think theyll get more (as, at the time, magpul was 10 miles away). The clerk tells me defensively "We wont be selling anymore assault clips, new store rules". Shit made me laugh, they were selling them just hours prior. They kept selling ARs too until the mag ban went into effect. Saw em myself, M&Ps, Rugers, etc.

The thing with Dick's sporting goods is that the bulk of their customers has always pretty much been casual (casual with emphasis) "outdoorsmen". Aka non-gun people. This means they sell camping shit, tents, sun glasses, sports equipment. It never really was a "goto" gun store when their gun counters are only 10ft wide in every store ive been to. They make more off fucking sleeping bags alone than firearms and such. The whole boycott thing isnt going to do anything to change their opinion on the matter. They can either support the 2A and lose a fuck load of money due to liberal boycotts (who ARE the customer majority), or, submit to the publicity and cease selling a few guns - while not going down in the hole as much. Yes, they care about their image, but only for business reasons. They actually dont (personally) give a flying fuck about shooting victims. Instead, they made a new set of stores called "Field & Stream" so they could sell their scary black rifles again. Not too hard to search it.

These days you can lose everything if the public hates you, laws aside. Look at bakeries lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Im reading it "Thanks, Dicks Moms Like."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only the poster had read "Moms Thank Dick's"

Im reading it "Thanks, Dicks Moms Like."

Well, they are moms demanding action.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Dicks can eat a Dick and so can Academy. Fuck them in the ass with Obama and Barney Franks aids infested Dicks...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Academy is based in Texas and Dicks is based in New York, both highly liberal states in the worst 36 states for gun owners, so it's not surprising
View Quote

Actually Dicks is headquartered in a suburb of Pittsburgh Pa.   Have been for several years.
They did pull a rotten move in 2012.  But how does anyone know that MDA or everytown isn't doing some sort of PsyOps ?  
Dicks does own Field and Stream stores now, and they carry plenty of AR stuff.  Although their prices are nothing great.
Dicks as a store is failing anyways becuase those stores started to cater too much to womens clothes and golf  equipment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You have to be 21 to buy any given firearm in the United States.  There is an exemption for long guns, however a pistol grip firearm is marked as other on the 4473.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to be 21 to buy any given firearm in the United States.  There is an exemption for long guns, however a pistol grip firearm is marked as other on the 4473.

I think the above is somewhat untrue. Back when I was an FFL, long guns only required the buyer to be 18. No distinction about black rifles, handgrips etc.  

Maybe you're thinking about the laws your state enforces rather than Federal law?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He shits on Texas every chance he gets. florida

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, the fat guy with the yellow jacket shits on TX every chance he gets, literally

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I noticed the poster with the whitey mom had the mandatory diversity added, but the poster with the black mom had no diversity.

Off topic, but just an observation.

Oh, and F everytown and moms action and bloomass and all those other fascists.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I don't.  I can if you want me to.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I wish these women would go out and start minding there children, rather than blaming intimate objects for their perceived problems.

It's ironic that they're thanking dicks for putting the choke hold on gun sales,  while attacking the interests of the male in the home. If theyre worried about kids getting guns, start being a mom, get off ashley madison or cougar websites, or even Facebook.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Actually Dick's moved their headquarters to the Pittsburg area in 1994, back when Terry Bradshaw became the spokesman as part of the investor group that bought into the company, taking it over from the Stack family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually Dick's moved their headquarters to the Pittsburg area in 1994, back when Terry Bradshaw became the spokesman as part of the investor group that bought into the company, taking it over from the Stack family.

Pittsburgh may as well be NY, its full of the same reconstituted European peasantry that ever since they schlepped out of steerage and onto these shores
has ran to the fed gov for protection far too many times to be truly American when  life wasn't going their way
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So the important question becomes:  Is the only sell with a proceed a CYA lawyer recommended store policy that's been in place a while, or did they really decide to implement it because these whiners got in their face?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I worked there a couple years ago and it was policy then.   They do a bunch of CYA lawyer stuff.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Any non-ar15 semi-auto rifle was GTG I assume. They tried to sell my sister a Mini-14.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Academy was bought by KKR (Kohlberg,Kravis, Roberts & co.) in 2011.
Please try to keep up.
Academy sale
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top