Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Yep, had a out of state puke call 911 on me for open carying while filing up my pickup at the Flying J.

Also was harassed by the mall ninja's for wearing a vest. Seems this super FAT female mall ninja knew anybody wearing a vest was armed & that since I had a vest on I had a gun. She gave me lots of shit saying we had to leave the mall as no firearms were allowed  (was with the wife and 2 kids) till I told her it was a good thing I did not have a gun or I'd shoot her dead where she stood since she was following us around the mall.

She said she was going to call the police for making a death threat towards a uniformed security agent. I just looked at her and said, no threat was made and how in the hell does a dead person call 911

She about shit and backed off but still followed us around the mall

Oh and yes I had a 1911 in a Blade Tech holster on under the vest

So you really did make a death threat and you also lied to her?  

Not exactly the sterling example of pro-gunners we like to show... egads.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Me, I have never open carried outside my house. I don't like to advertise. So I got my CCW permit and carry concealed. Yay for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I open carry when I go for walks in the dark. Usually that also entails a walk to the nearby ATM to make a deposit or withdrawl. Keep myself and my money safe

-Foxxz

+1

Ocationally Foxxz and I walk to the grocery store open carrying.  We were followed around the store once by a store clerk, and a couple of the checkout girls have looked nervous.  But nobody has really hassled us.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I withdrew $12,500 from a bank in cash once (yes, it was my money) with a sidearm on my hip. No, one even blinked.

HEY were you in the movie called ummm........... HEAT.....huh huh were you????
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The closest I've come is sometimes I don't tuck my shirt in over the UDC.  Only about 1/2 of the grip shows so no one has ever noticed to my knowlege, even when I'm wearing light colored shirts.  

I was at Home Depot last month and this big tall black dude came strolling in with a large revolver in a black leather cowboy style holster his belt.  No one noticed him walk past but me.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep, had a out of state puke call 911 on me for open carying while filing up my pickup at the Flying J.

Also was harassed by the mall ninja's for wearing a vest. Seems this super FAT female mall ninja knew anybody wearing a vest was armed & that since I had a vest on I had a gun. She gave me lots of shit saying we had to leave the mall as no firearms were allowed  (was with the wife and 2 kids) till I told her it was a good thing I did not have a gun or I'd shoot her dead where she stood since she was following us around the mall.

She said she was going to call the police for making a death threat towards a uniformed security agent. I just looked at her and said, no threat was made and how in the hell does a dead person call 911

I don't advocate death threats, but you have no duty to tell the truth to mall ninjas.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't advocate death threats, but you have no duty to tell the truth to mall ninjas.

True, but call me a Boy Scout, but I like telling the truth.

BTW if she'd really gotten lame she could have called the police on him ... Then where would he be? He'd be justifying why he lied to her while making an offhanded death threat...

Maybe what bothered me too was that he thought we'd think he was so cool for doing it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
i dont open carry because it is not legal here.  even if it was, i probably wouldn't just because of all the homeboys axkin bout ma glock (I carry a beretta)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
No, but once while carrying concealed I was standing in line at a convenience store and when I went to pull my wallet out I gues I pulled my shirt up a bit and the pretty young girl behind me saw part of my gun/holster. She asked me if I was a cop, I said no. Then she asked me in a real snotty tone "If you aren't a cop, why do you need feel you need to carry a gun." So I asked her "Do you realize that you just told somebody that think is a gun toting nutbag that you have no way to protect yourself?"
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have at the bank and they only reason everyone was looking at me was beacuse a freind of mine came in and said "Hey akethan what are you packin'?"  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I can open carry (or carry concealed AFAIK) as long as I'm fishing or hunting

4. POSSESSION AND TRANSPORTATION OF CONCEALED WEAPONS
Carrying a Concealed Handgun Without a License on One's Person or Concealed in a
Vehicle
Pursuant to Penal Code section 12025, a person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm
when he or she does any of the following:
• Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control, any pistol,
revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant
any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
NOTE: A firearm carried openly in a belt holster is not considered "concealed" as it
applies to the above prohibition. (Penal Code § 12025(f).)
Section 12025 does not apply to or affect any of the following:
Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going
to or returning from such hunting or fishing expeditions.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You're an idiot.  I hope you were joking...because you were in the wrong.  If I had seen you do that...I would have taken you to jail myself.  

Jesus dude.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup.....on the range.  I was told by the range officer not to come on his range again with a loaded pistol.

-KW

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Carrying a Concealed Handgun Without a License on One's Person or Concealed in a
Vehicle
Pursuant to Penal Code section 12025, a person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm
• Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control, any pistol,
• Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm
• Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant
any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
NOTE: A firearm carried openly in a belt holster is not considered "concealed" as it
Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going

So you just walk around with a fishing pole all the time?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't get harassed. Matter of fact most people assume I'm a professional or ask me if I'm duty.

When they see my Glock Fo-Tay, they know I'm on the job.

But do they assume you're professional enough?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Be wise .......surprise thwarts unexpeced circumstances better than lookie @ me I gave a gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yup.....on the range.  I was told by the range officer not to come on his range again with a loaded pistol.

-KW

WTF!? i'd expect that shit from some soccer mom, but an RO?

had an RO at a range i used to go to in CT give me and a buddy some shit because he was carrying his shotgun...

serious. he was mad because it wasn't in a bag or case. he told us we were lucky he didn't shoot...

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was at Home Depot last month and this big tall black dude came strolling in with a large revolver in a black leather cowboy style holster his belt.  No one noticed him walk past but me.  

That's different. I've never seen anybody open carry a revolver.

Well, other than the guards at State, but they don't count.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Hell, I'd carry a revolver before I ever carried a pistol.  A 4" SW 686 ain't no bigger than a 1911.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I open carry occasionally, and once (only once) at a local Wendy's a local LEO decided to lecture me on how it was illegal.  I told him to go ahead and arrest me for it, and see how long it takes me to sue him, the department, the township, and the city, and that I could really stand to make a few hundred K right about now.  Just then his radio bleated at him and he told me I was lucky he had other things to take care of, walked back out to his car and drove away.    Make sure you know the law in your area, and be comfortable and secure in the knowledge that you are acting within it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Gasp.....you mean.....he lied?!?!?!?!?!  Say it aint so!!!

Just messing with you, macman.  I don't really consider lying to a mall ninja a cardinal sin.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gasp.....you mean.....he lied?!?!?!?!?!  Say it aint so!!!

Just messing with you, macman.  I don't really consider lying to a mall ninja a cardinal sin.

I know

I have a harder time with him making a death threat and actually having the means to back it up though. He could have gotten himself in some crap for that one!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I really didn't know we tecnically could open carry here in MI. I heard it from one of those gun show seal types and just kinda wrote it off as crap, kinda like using a pistol grip shotgun for ccw  

It seems like it would be much more of a hassle than it's worth here in the metro Detroit area. I could see open carry being less of on issue in more of the rural areas.
It would be a hell of a lot easier to open carry rather than choose a shirt/holster combination that will conceal apropriately.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, other than the guards at State, but they don't count.

I frequently open carry my stainless Ruger GP100 4" 357 when on an evening walk.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Gotta love the VCDL.  You Virginia guys have it great.  That is, except for:

The only time I open carry is in resturaunts that serve alcohol in VA.  No issues or hassles, just some funny looks sometimes.

Is the resturaunt ban ever going to go away?  It's a royal pain in the ass.

<==VA Non res permit holder #10  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You all shouldn't get hassled for open carrying if you are wearing your Concealed Carry badges clipped right next the holster on your belt.

That was a joke by the way, had a guy at a gunshop tell me that once.

seriously around here a few of the mall ninjas do it
have their mall ninja badge next to it  and noone blinks a eye
it they did not have a badge of some sort next to it  people would call the police  
some  of the cops around here do the same thing so it may just be a regional thing
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vehicle

So you just walk around with a fishing pole all the time?

I don't know if anyone has tried it...they would definately get hassled though, especially if they were going fishing in the community lake (I have one in my city).  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I was at the jewelry store buying crap for my girl.  My shirt was unbuttoned, and my Glock 22C was showing.  I went to close my shirt to hide the Glock, and the owner (who was ringing up my purchase) says "No, let it show.  I've been robbed twice in the last month.  I wish you would wear that thing in here every minute I am open."  She didn't give me a discount, though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Why open-carry if you can legally carry concealed?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I agree.  I prefer to be a wolf in sheep's clothing.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I open carry frequently (for about 20 years) and never a hassle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Most of the time I carry concealed. I am a member of the local Harley Owners Group. Apparently about a month ago a friend was on a ride and was open carrying. Some one got offended and sent an anonymous letter the chapter complaining and saying this is not the wild west wide did he need to carry a gun.

Last Sunday was the general meeting. About 20 of us went to the meeting open carrying. Sent the message to STFU.

Same day went on a ride that ended at Old Tucson. Three of us walked around for an hour before security came up and asked to secure the guns in the trunk or saddlebags. We refused and said we would leave. We asked him if any of the other "bikers" complained he said no, It was some lady from out of state. BTW no signs posted prohibiting carrying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Carry? What's that?
<------
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Carry? What's that?
<------

No kidding.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Hell, I'd carry a revolver before I ever carried a pistol.  A 4" SW 686 ain't no bigger than a 1911.

Is that some kind of joke?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Mostly to show the sheeple that law abiding citizens CAN and WE are not the ones to be feared.

Out of sight/mind works with the general public too, y'know.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I got to open carry in my buddy's shop. Had one woman ask "why do you carry a gun?"

I told her my dad, uncles, cousins and friends all fought in wars, for my freedom and for my rights--so the least I can do is exercise those rights.

Her whipped husband silently cheered behind her, until she swung around and gave him a dirty look....probably took him off to the marriage counselor, or to see Fried Green Tomatoes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I would really like to hear someone who open carries explain to me what the advantages of open carry are.  I can think of several disadvantages:

-You attract unwanted attention
-You instantly become a "known quanity" that a criminal knows they will have to deal with right away
-You may become a target of someone wanting to steal your gun

I have been carrying for 18 years and the only time I open carry is when I am on duty and in uniform.  It seems to me that most people who open carry don't do it for any reason other than to "make a statement."  

Don't sound tactics take precedence over making a statement?  Substance over symbolism?  Let's hear the tactical advantages to open carry.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Some states allow ONLY OPEN CARRY- some allow no carry- but again SOME ALLOW ONLY OPEN CARRY or make CCW such impossible that OPEN CARRY IS THE ONLY LEGAL WAY TO CARRY.

Geez.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Us Kansans are about to get ccw passed, the governor(D) claims she will veto, but the reps should have enough votes to override the veto
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I would really like to hear someone who open carries explain to me what the advantages of open carry are.  I can think of several disadvantages:

-You instantly become a "known quanity" that a criminal knows they will have to deal with right away

I have been carrying for 18 years and the only time I open carry is when I am on duty and in uniform.  It seems to me that most people who open carry don't do it for any reason other than to "make a statement."  

Don't sound tactics take precedence over making a statement?  Substance over symbolism?  Let's hear the tactical advantages to open carry.

Easier access to the firearm.  Not having to lift a shirt and dig in a waistband.
Ability to carry a larger/higher capacity/better shooting weapon that may be more difficult to conceal
More comfortable.
Visual deterrent. You say the crook now knows they have to deal with me.  I say most crooks who would think me prey now give me a wide path and avoid me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#43]
in fact i spent 3 months in jail on trumped up charges because the popo didn't like it.

never convicted, and the civil suits are on-going. it will likely be worth millions that i will never see. that is all i would like to say at this point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
in fact i spent 3 months in jail on trumped up charges because the popo didn't like it.

never convicted, and the civil suits are on-going. it will likely be worth millions that i will never see. that is all i would like to say at this point.

Dang!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thanks for your support.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Wow.

Every case in VA I have ever heard of involves the officer in the wrong having to personally apologize to the citizen they wronged.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I have only open  carried once. I was on my way to Clark Bro's and had a full-size CZ 75B on my belt. It was about 100 degrees out that day, so I just said to heck with it. I stopped in Bealeton at
the DQ and got a burger. Noone said a word, no goofy looks, no panicked running to the manager.

Generally, I prefer not to advertise that I carry. Once in a while, I will lock up my gun and go into a resturant, take off my jacket, and leave my empty holster exposed. Never had a comment on that either.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I can get to my open carry faster than you can get to your CCW.

My open carry holster has a retention device.

Anytime you carry your situational awareness should be at a heightened level.

Dirtbags would rather steal a gun from an unoccupied dwelling than from an armed individual.

It IS detererrence, ask the police.

I mainly open carry in the summer months because I (obviously) wear less clothes and usually carry a large frame semiautomatic.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top