BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 The idea of work ethic is a scam? Are you serious?

Absolutely.

Work smart, not hard.

Wow, that was some insightfull shit.

Honestly, what exactly does that have to do with the idea of work ethic? I don't see the correlation.

You got some more great quotes from the union?

I've seen commercial workers. And it's no wonder that so many jobs run over budget. I've seen guys take an HOUR to sweep a floor. What a joke.

Seriously, you got a better arguement than that for the idea that "work ethic is a scam"?

Not to sound like a old tired cliche, but isn't work ethic what built this fucking country?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Work ethic?  It's important to me.  I probubly work 60 hours for every 40 i sign in for.  i have been well rewardded for my hard work and loyalty.. Both with choise assignments and the respect/confidence, and faith of my supervisors. I could not imagine doing my job any other way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've found that people are rarely honest.

Sad, but true. People are selfish, and will sell you up the fucking river if they will benefit.

There is a management paradigm..it goes..

"People avoid work and need to be watched constantly...

People want to excell and should be given the opportunity to fail or succeed.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.

Work smart, not hard.

Wow, that was some insightfull shit.

Honestly, what exactly does that have to do with the idea of work ethic? I don't see the correlation.

You got some more great quotes from the union?

I've seen commercial workers. And it's no wonder that so many jobs run over budget. I've seen guys take an HOUR to sweep a floor. What a joke.

Seriously, you got a better arguement than that for the idea that "work ethic is a scam"?

Not to sound like a old tired cliche, but isn't work ethic what built this fucking country?  

I'm not terribly interested in hijacking my own thread here, but I will point out that I live in the South.  We don't cotton to that union shit like the yankee boys do.  I'm not really sure what your union correlation is to be honest.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
After a decade, I'm still optimistic about people in general in my line of work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Snide collusional efforts amongst counterparties, grandiose delusions of self worth amongst some coworkers.

Yet I maintain a positive objective attitude and good spirits as I find importance and profitability in my actions.

There are some days, though...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I spent 18 months doing telephone and e-mail tech support for a now extinct dot-bomb (before that 10 years in other IT related occupations).

I thought I knew just hopeless people and humanity in general were before that, but I never knew just how deep it REALLY went.

I see and interact with individuals that prove that not EVERYONE is total tard but as a species we have so badly short-circuted Darwin that overall we are going downhill at warp speed.

I've been in tech support for going on 8 years now, and I definitely got around when the market was hot.  Yes, it's made me more cynical.  The absolute worst people to have to support though, has GOT to be medical professionals.  Their technical ability normally is in inverse proportion to their education.  Doctors are the absolute worst. They'll have their head rammed chin deep up their ass on a technical matter, blame it on the tech, the net, whatever.  Then they'll demand to have it "their way".  Often "their way" will be patently impossible due to the laws of nature and/or physics.  Millions will be (and have been) spent trying to do it that way though, out of the simple arrogance of a PhD and his inability to be wrong.  Nurses are pretty damn bad too.  I live with one, and if she weren't so damn cute, I'da replaced "her" laptop with a putty-colored etch-a-sketch a loooooong time ago.

The medical profession has long been considered the bell weather of technology. Once they agree to adopt it, it is obsolete.

Bob

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to work in airplane manufacturing.  Yeah, it made me a cynic.  I drive now everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I work in a 9-1-1 dispatch center, I really try hard everyday to remmember that Im in the customer service business, but some days it is really hard!

On the other hand, I will say that the highest amount of "dumbass" comes from the other side of the Radio (with city police officers in the lead, followed by a private ambulance company, the Sheriffs deputys and then the firefighters), the people sitting next to me, and then at the bottom of the chain citizens....

One of our customers is a E911 center. I was sitting there in their office one day and and someone called in about their mailbox getting mowed over by a 4 wheeler. They were demanding that someone come out and take a paint sample to figure out who did it. After the dispatcher hung up she said "I'm sorry, but CSI is not on duty today." I sat there and thought yes, we are at the end of our evolutionary cycle if TV is dictating our sense of reality.

Bob

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Shit. I hit cynical quite a while ago
and burrowed right through that bitch
until I hit uber-cynic.

What makes me a cynic:

... the fact that we have managers in
our division who are completely bat-
shit insane to the point that their
employees are planning a full-blown
mutany. However, the director is too
much of a pussy to do a goddamned
thing - to the determent of the entire
company...

... the fact that the company would
rather pay $500 for an LTO tape
rather than allow me to buy it for
$100 at Staples ...

... the fact that our group decided
to start improving our documentation
and now it has gotten so out of control
that I now write more lines of documentation
that makes the company $0 than code
that makes the company $alot ...

... the fact that the other developers on
the team would rather write some half-
assed, hacked-up, thalydamide-abortion
of a feature implementation in order to
get it done "fast" rather than taking 35
extra seconds to do it correctly. Of
course, I get shit for coming back later
and rewriting their electronic fuckstain
of an excuse for code...

... the fact that everyone else on the
team is too much of a pussy to expense
the drinks we had after the stupid assed
meeting that we had to drive 4 hours to
attend ...

... the fact that I work too much, get laid
too little, and that every day I feel like I
am racing faster and faster towards the
abiss with nothing to show for my life than
a bank account, a mortgage, and a
Masters degree ...

I need a fucking drink.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]

The default setting for humanity is stupidity.
Lea Ann

She told me this tonight at work & we about busted a gut laughing at the most obvious truth.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm a Chiropractor.
I hate the profession.
I 've helped alot of people but I know my limits, all these other Docs think that they can fix everything, giving the profession a bad name.
My school lost its accredidation while I was there, big political mess, went from the largest school to the smallest that quick.
I hate that people think Chiropractors are sub-standard Doctors.
Becomming a Chiropractor is one of the most diffucult educational programs going.
100 credit hours per year, clinic during your last year and a half,  a maximum of 9 parts of boards, 4 min.

Blah, blah....

I start M.D. school in Jan.

Congratulations.  Science is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now what the fuck are you looking at?

From my prior contacts with XXX I know that he recognises me as a police officer. As I drove by he held his hand in the air with one finger raised. I believed XXX was waving me down and wanted to speak to me. <g>

Let me see your hands grandma! On the floor pops!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've met lots of cops who have a pretty dim view of humanity because they deal with the worst of it.  I've met EMTs that think that all motorcyclists will wind up splattered on the pavement because that's all they ever see.  
I've met ER doctors and nurses that take  a pretty dim view of the world because of the things they see.
Most people that work for .gov beaurocracies wind up pretty cynical about those sorts of things eventually.

I'm a firefighter / paramedic for a "economically challenged" municipality, that, despite being "...the Democratic (party) jewel in the crown of Lake County" consistently hires one of the top union-busting law firms to fight us tooth and nail negotiate our contract evry 3 years. They "promoted" our company officers (supervisors) from Lieutenants to "Shift Commanders" in the middle of contract talks a few years ago , but didn't expand the slots for Lt.'s - now we have non-union psuedo-managers filling union Lt. slots, but the City says they can "do both jobs", despite the stomewall on upward mobility.

(Why are unions supposed to vote Democrat again? [>:|]  I don't - both for the lib agenda overkill and the crap like this that they pull on a local level.)

Many of our officers are political hacks (some of whom initially failed the entrance exam ) who refuse to take stands on issues (like spending $$ on staffing or equipment) that the pols might not like for fear of losing their positions within the department; they refuse to encourage education and continually belittle anybody with more than HS/GED; they don't encourage officer development for fear that they would either have to attend (and might not pass), or be held to the same standard as the new officers, and they tell us to "make do" with equipment that is broken or irrepairable.

Most of our customers are regular folks, but we have a high degree of entitlement mindset - the kind that thinks we should be grateful to take the single mom to the ER with her baby...

Who's "got the flu", and has for 3 days....

But she hasn't taken the baby to the County clinic, because she's "too busy" being unemployed...

and because "Medicaid don't pay for no taxicab..."

Hmm... cynical.... what do you think?

Lake County?

Hmmm....

Not Zion, perhaps Waukegan or North Chicago?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Work smart, not hard.

Wow, that was some insightfull shit

Honestly, what exactly does that have to do with the idea of work ethic? I don't see the correlation..

example of working hard:  

Do steps 1 through 75 exactly as your newly hired non union supervisor instructs Your wrong,He is gods gift to (insert profession here) and is therefor infallible.  

example of working smart

Do step 1, skip steps 2 through 74 and proceed to step 75 and finish ,
No overtime needed no weekends to catch up,  work load is easier and your not in pain at the end of the day.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#16]

The default setting for humanity is stupidity.
Lea Ann

The GF told me this tonight at work & we about busted a gut laughing at the most obvious truth.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
After every day of work, I just Hate people.

I really like their DFQ's though it makes you wounder how long the human race will servive.

PS. to many beers I cant spell.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Adam- good guess.

[humpty]Oh excuse me...is my 'hood' showing?[/humpty]

(To all my fellow "non ghetto" caucasians out there, its a Digital Underground reference. It's OK... you're supposed to be confused. I'm from "the hood"...kids, don't try this at home.)

A lot of NoChi has moved to Zion with the influx of hispanics over the past few years.

Makes the Zee-Bees - Warhawks (Zion/Benton -North Chicago) football games very interesting times, if you get my reference...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Adam- very perceptive. Good guess.

[humpty]Oh excuse me...is my 'hood' showing?[/humpty]

(To all my fellow "non ghetto" caucasians out there, its a Digital Underground reference. It's OK... you're supposed to be confused. I'm from "the hood"...kids, don't try this at home.)

A lot of NoChi has moved to Zion with the influx of hispanics over the past few years.

Makes the Zee-Bees - Warhawks (Zion/Benton -North Chicago) football games very interesting times, if you get my reference...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I work with computers. I hate everyone. And everything. All the time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I work in Corporate America.  I've hung with a lot of low-lifes in my time, but none were as low as the ones I run into in this business.  If this is the kind of person we look up to in this country then we're all in trouble.  The worst part of it is that they raise their children (when they have the time) to be just like them and we wonder how our little darlings came up with the "win at any cost, but always have a scapegoat" value system.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I work with computers. I hate everyone. And everything. All the time.

yep.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes every job I have had affected me and how I act in some ways
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Yep, every job has affected me in some way, usually not good. I'm now a terribly cynical guy, with zero friends, no prospects, and I'm very discouraged.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have discovered that many people have zero work ethic. Sad.

I agree 100% , I always say the same exact thing.

a zero work ethic is one thing.

But to blindly give 110+% on a daily basis is a quick way to dig your own grave.
Its been my experience that supervisiors are seldom satisfied with just an "honest days work".

That excuse will keep you from being the "Boss" .You don't work hard so others can see, you work hard so you better yourself. Quit playing politics at work and get your ass moving
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top