Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It;s not bad luck, it IS the devil...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is no bad luck, just bad decision making usually.  Sorry OP, hope it gets better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anybody had years spells of bad luck? If I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all. Seems like the devil is got a hold of my soul.

There is no bad luck, just bad decision making usually.  Sorry OP, hope it gets better.

That's incorrect.

While I don't believe in "luck", I do believe in chance.  We have problem in modern society, we've forgotten something ancient societies understood.  

This is a great video.  

https://youtu.be/ip97YDkvbtY

Believing that "winners win", or that good, smart, hard-working, and decent people always succeed, is dangerous.   Some "good" people take a chance in life and do indeed succeed, but many "good" people don't.   We admire the winners, and tend to pass judgement on the losers.  We judge "losers" harshly, and chaulk it up to some character flaw in them.  "If they were good, they'd succeed!"

We ignore that chance plays a part of the equation.  Because it's a bit frightening to admit that often "good" people fail.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My family and thinks I have a devil on my shoulder.  I have been hurt and injured in SO many different ways.  6 surgeries, and so many broken bones it's scary.  Exceedingly rare bones smashed to bits like my scapula.  I've fallen off of 2 roofs and fell through 2 more, fallen twice out of treestands.  Smashed ribs, dislocated shoulders, broken arms had 2 hips replaced been mauled by 2 Rottweilers and had a car crush me and put me in a coma with last rites.

Yet I feel I live a blessed life.  Married 29 years to the love of my life, 2 great kids and fiercely loyal friends.  Live for the moments and find Joy in your life
View Quote

I read the car story every anniversary in horror.

With this additional information, you will forgive me from exiting the room when you enter. I don't want a piano to fall on me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

why would I do that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anybody had years spells of bad luck? If I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all. Seems like the devil is got a hold of my soul.

Why don't you head on down to the cancer-wing of your local children's hospital and repeat that crap?

why would I do that?

Maybe to put your money where your mouth is, and demonstrate that you actually believe that crap, rather than simply parroting some kind of holier-than-thou garbage that makes you feel like a morally superior person?

There are a lot of people walking around, bearing crosses than are in no part of their own making.    

I don't disagree that there are also a lot of assholes who simply don't want to accept responsibility for their own decisions.   But to paint with a broad brush as you did shows either a remarkably sheltered life, or a remarkably naieve outlook.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely.

Several years back I had crippling back problems.  Still have them.  At the time was trying to make ends meet as a construction worker, a la, no insurance.  They don't give a fuck about you without insurance and could give a rat's ass if you are going to be paralyzed.

At the same time my fiance had back surgery for severe scoliosis that was causing her breathing issues.  She was out of work for nearly a year.

The following year I had a "patch job" done on my spine thanks to 2yrs of lobbying a teaching hospital a couple hundred miles away.  Took 2yrs to get in the program.

Once I could walk again nobody wanted to hire me.  All I had ever done is either very physical work or drove trucks.  In the meantime I sold everything I possibly could to pay rent.

Finally starting to get back on my feet.  Now the back issues are back, and worse.  Was just trying to count the days until I was eligible for insurance at my current employer.  They called and got it all setup....it doesn't start until after January.  Oh, yeah ....it will only cost me $400 per month for just myself with a basic policy.

Now...as of last Thurs morning at 4am I cannot walk or really bathe myself, etc.  I woke up for work only to be astounded by the fact I was so dizzy I couldn't function.  I have no idea what's causing it.  I feel like I drank a 5th of whiskey all day everyday.  Went to the ER on Friday night for the doctor to tell me I might have a bacterial infection in my inner ear near my brain.  Then he says I don't.  Then he says I do.  Then he tells me it might be the start of MS as worst case scenario.

Now I'm paying out of pocket at another doctor.  In the chair waiting for him to come back.

So far nobody can tell me what's going on.  It's great.

Life sucks.  Then you die.  That is all.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Maybe he was masturbating in it and it slipped away in the night. No note. No kiss goodbye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I once woke up with my left sock missing.

Who sleeps with socks on?

Maybe he was masturbating in it and it slipped away in the night. No note. No kiss goodbye.

That is completely possible. It's not the first time that has happened.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's incorrect.

While I don't believe in "luck", I do believe in chance.  We have problem in modern society, we've forgotten something ancient societies understood.  

This is a great video.  

The critical mistake of believing that "winners win", or that good, smart, hard-working, and decent people succeed, is dangerous.   Some people take a chance in life and succeed, but many don't.   We admire these winners, and imagine the majority losers, are ...well, just losers.  We judge them harshly, and chaulk it up to some flaw in them.  

Ignoring that chance plays a part of the equation.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incorrect.

This is a great video.  

The critical mistake of believing that "winners win", or that good, smart, hard-working, and decent people succeed, is dangerous.   Some people take a chance in life and succeed, but many don't.   We admire these winners, and imagine the majority losers, are ...well, just losers.  We judge them harshly, and chaulk it up to some flaw in them.  

Ignoring that chance plays a part of the equation.  

You're ignoring a large group:  those who lose because they never took a chance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Maybe to put your money where your mouth is, and demonstrate that you actually believe that crap, rather than simply parroting some kind of holier-than-thou garbage that makes you feel like a morally superior person?

There are a lot of people walking around, bearing crosses than are in no part of their own making.    

I don't disagree that there are also a lot of assholes who simply don't want to accept responsibility for their own decisions.   But to paint with a broad brush as you did shows either a remarkably sheltered life, or a remarkably naieve outlook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you head on down to the cancer-wing of your local children's hospital and repeat that crap?

why would I do that?

So you took my advice to the OP, basically to look within himself to see if there were some life changes he should make to better his situation, and then changed it to me saying that children get cancer because it is their fault.  Bravo, well done.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes, im in the same boat...but doesnt stop me from keeping on.
and for those who say you make your luck, BS
and for those who say you make poor choices, BS
luck is when preparation meets opportunity and sometimes theyre two ships in the night
explain the loss of a child due to illness or birth defect despite meticulous prenatal care
on and on and on
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
God puts you through hell to build tough warriors for the last 2 wars in heaven yet to come.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I once woke up with my left sock missing.

Who sleeps with socks on?

Come to think of it, I had an odd sock last laundry day. . It smelled like Aqua Velva and regret.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Mostly good for me.

Not complaining anyway.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You know this commercial?

https://youtu.be/gca0qoOZ8wg

Honest.  To.  God.  My.    Luck.
View Quote

I am that kid.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
God puts you through hell to build tough warriors for the last 2 wars in heaven yet to come.
View Quote

In agreement, it seems to me that if you're screwing up, the devil may just want to keep you comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

2016 is turning out that way
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Absolutely.

Several years back I had crippling back problems.  Still have them.  At the time was trying to make ends meet as a construction worker, a la, no insurance.  They don't give a fuck about you without insurance and could give a rat's ass if you are going to be paralyzed.

At the same time my fiance had back surgery for severe scoliosis that was causing her breathing issues.  She was out of work for nearly a year.

The following year I had a "patch job" done on my spine thanks to 2yrs of lobbying a teaching hospital a couple hundred miles away.  Took 2yrs to get in the program.

Once I could walk again nobody wanted to hire me.  All I had ever done is either very physical work or drove trucks.  In the meantime I sold everything I possibly could to pay rent.

Finally starting to get back on my feet.  Now the back issues are back, and worse.  Was just trying to count the days until I was eligible for insurance at my current employer.  They called and got it all setup....it doesn't start until after January.  Oh, yeah ....it will only cost me $400 per month for just myself with a basic policy.

Now...as of last Thurs morning at 4am I cannot walk or really bathe myself, etc.  I woke up for work only to be astounded by the fact I was so dizzy I couldn't function.  I have no idea what's causing it.  I feel like I drank a 5th of whiskey all day everyday.  Went to the ER on Friday night for the doctor to tell me I might have a bacterial infection in my inner ear near my brain.  Then he says I don't.  Then he says I do.  Then he tells me it might be the start of MS as worst case scenario.

Now I'm paying out of pocket at another doctor.  In the chair waiting for him to come back.

So far nobody can tell me what's going on.  It's great.

Life sucks.  Then you die.  That is all.
View Quote
I have been dealing with dizziness for over 10 years. Many doctors, no positive results. Why do you think they call it: "practicing medicine"? Hope you have better luck !

AB
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Not me personally, but my childhood neighbors and their entire family somewhat, between me being 5 yr old and 12

Grand daughter fell out of window from 3rd floor, badly injured but survived

Son in law slipped on railway station and train started to move, got injured

daughter failed kidneys and gave delivery in toiled to twins

another daughter got 3rd degree burns from gas cylinder bursting in kitchen

3rd daughter and her family got kidnapped and robbed at gun point when they went to pakistan

son got half paralyzed on right side on wedding night.

son in law got into severe car accident

every business they tried failed bad
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What doesn't kill you make you stronger. I sincerely believe this.
View Quote

If this were even remotely true I would be the fucking HULK
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

With this additional information, you will forgive me from exiting the room when you enter. I don't want a piano to fall on me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My family and thinks I have a devil on my shoulder.  I have been hurt and injured in SO many different ways.  6 surgeries, and so many broken bones it's scary.  Exceedingly rare bones smashed to bits like my scapula.  I've fallen off of 2 roofs and fell through 2 more, fallen twice out of treestands.  Smashed ribs, dislocated shoulders, broken arms had 2 hips replaced been mauled by 2 Rottweilers and had a car crush me and put me in a coma with last rites.

Yet I feel I live a blessed life.  Married 29 years to the love of my life, 2 great kids and fiercely loyal friends.  Live for the moments and find Joy in your life

My friends sum this up best. They say they want to be as close to me as possible because any "localized calamity will most assuredly strike me before anyone close by".
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't believe in luck, but I hope this run of jumping through hoops is over. It started like this- I found my younger brother dead on Thanksgiving when I went to pick him up. I sent in the final payment on a car and the transmission went out within a day. My business was pulled out from under me like a rug and I was forced to close it. I went in for routine elbow surgery and ended up with a blood clot that nearly killed me. I spent a week in the hospital on that one. That was all in six weeks. I'm a tough mutherfucker though, and just keep pushing forward. What else am I going to do? Having a loving supporting wife is huge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#21]
don't get discouraged OP.  life's a roller coaster and sooner or later it will turn your way.  stay strong, exercise. keep busy helping others. it will all work out no matter how dark it gets. keep your values, it's what matters.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Dude, sometimes all it takes to change your luck is to pack up your shit and get in your car and move to another State and start over fresh. Nothing feels cleaner sometimes than a change of scenery and leaving those demons behind. Meet new people, have new experiences and build a better life. If I don't like the Movie I get up and walk out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
It would be hard to recount all the mathematically improbable negative events that have happened to my family over the last 16 years. It is very difficult to continue to have hope. Others have had worse things happen though. Life is hard and then you die
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Bad luck  yes I had my 5 year son pass of cancer, then my sister beats breast cancer gets a 5 year clean bill of health the next day gets killed in a car accident, then 8 months later my 31 year old son gets hit by a truck coming home form work and passes away, then 6 month after that I get diagnose with cancer. yes I think I have some bad luck.  and fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah, but I'm finally divorcing her.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Living for the moment is cool, but considering the consequences you might face in the moments sure to follow will save you a bunch of pain and make your future moments more enjoyable.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top