Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I vote for the cars and bikes ban of a certain GTO basher that wont stfu.
He's been warned a few times before, ala Kirk.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
WoW, Miss a day...miss a lot. I voted for pie myself.
BTW I think KirK is OK. Every one has an opinion but he comes loaded with facts as well. Do they always tell the whole story. Not really but whatever...this is the internet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
at least he's polite about it all...

Sometimes.

He does know an awful lot about bikes, certain bikes, and in that regard I value his opinion.

His entire problem is when he can't keep his opinion to himself, even when expressing it is in bad taste, unwanted or not germain to the topic.

I hate to see a thread where someone's showing off their new bike that they're obviously proud of and enjoy, and he tells them their bike is dangerous or useless.

That's where he loses my respect. I wouldn't ban him I prefer to let fools show their hand, but that schtick gets old.
I'm with swingset on this one. He is one of the main reasons I don't contribute to this section any more, I am sick of reading his omniscient drivel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#5]
He provides a lot of information that could save a person's life on a motorcycle.  He has an abrasive method of delivery but he is highly knowledgeable and puts a lot into his informational posts.

Plus, I couldn't agree with him more on cruisers.

NO BAN OR RESTRICTIONS!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ETA: Hemicuda. He, and a bunch of others, are a reason I haven't renewed my membership, and won't.

+ Fucking 1
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]
He doesn't need to be banned.  He just needs to grow up a bit and improve his people skills.  But hey he's a LEO what do you expect?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
He doesn't need to be banned.  He just needs to grow up a bit and improve his people skills.  But hey he's a LEO what do you expect?

Actually him being LEO, is pretty much on par with his responses, Typical JBT mentality, "I am better than everyone else"

oh yea IBTL
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually him being LEO, is pretty much on par with his responses, Typical JBT mentality, "I am better than everyone else"

oh yea IBTL

....must....not.....respond.....aaarrrggghhh....

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh yea IBTL

It took me three tries to remember how to post a poll, and now you ding-a-lings are gonna get my thread locked!

ETA IBTL
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh yea IBTL

....must....not.....respond.....aaarrrggghhh....

LoL...

Come'on you know you wanna. Dont be skeer'd, this thread is doomed anyways and will be locked shortly Id imagine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh yea IBTL

It took me three tries to remember how to post a poll, and now you ding-a-lings are gonna get my thread locked!

ETA IBTL

Im trying.

Maybe a nice BOTD on a bike would help?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#13]
At least limit his posts to one hundred words.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wont matter, how many words does it take to say; "Buy an SV, anything else youll die on"
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wont matter, how many words does it take to say; "Buy an SV, anything else youll die on"

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A conpetent moderator with fuel injection, dual front brakes, and more than 10 hp on tap at 2000 rpm?

I thought he's pretty restrained, mostly.  Opinionated with backing for his preferences, but stuck on one philosophy and unable to understand other people may not march the same direction.

+1.

Although I do enjoy going round with him on the age-old car vs. bike debate.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See. LoL.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Good gracious!  Why does everyone get so excited about the delivery?

Read the post.  Get something out of it, and move on.  Who cares?  I get annoyed by other posters too (Dave_A mostly ), but couldn't care less whether they get banned or not.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
meh.........who cares.

KirkP knows a bit about bikes, I will give him that.

But he is an opinionated prick, like most folks here, so just read around his BS.

He is actually good reason for having ignore feature.

What is KirkP's experience with bikes?  I am ignorant about his history.

-p.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
meh.........who cares.

KirkP knows a bit about bikes, I will give him that.

But he is an opinionated prick, like most folks here, so just read around his BS.

He is actually good reason for having ignore feature.

What is KirkP's experience with bikes?  I am ignorant about his history.

-p.

He is a "self" noted knee dragger, that thinks his type of riding is the ONLY type of riding. Also likes to bash folks that ride cruisers or choppers.

Which, again, is OK for him to have and express those opinions IN HIS OWN THREADS, but he likes to shit on others threads and posts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Ban?  Why?

So, he is opinionated, like everyone else...  Dislike his input?  Ignore him.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I voted for pie. Yeah he can be abrasive but he means well. In a way he reminds me of me when I just started carrying a gun for a living. I would always tell other people until I was blue in the face that cheaply made holsters and mag pouches can and will get you killed in the line of duty. Eventually I realised that they were gonna do whatever they wanted regardless of what I said so I stopped worrying about it. If someone ASKS me I will give them my opinion and I think this is where some of the friction comes from with our beloved SV650 messiah. So look all you cruiser dudes- he means well. Really. Enjoy what you ride, just be aware of the limitations of what your on. So one more time, for the record: I like pie. Blueberry to be exact.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#24]
He's ok. Sometimes he can come across as a bit abrasive, but his arguments are strong.

I do think the lil Ninja 250 is the perfect starter bike though
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I like Kirk.

I can handle his lack of tact, I dont have a vagina.

I appreciate his emphasis on safe equipment.

He is pretty funny as well.

Thumbs up from me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow this thread still going? LoL.

Ive lost interests already. who we talking about again?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
img389.imageshack.us/img389/5808/photoid9622bk7.jpg

Alright, you posted that, so I'm going to post mine.

BTW, I vote for not banning him. He has shit on my threads, too...but Cars & Bikes would be less interesting.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

BTW, I vote for not banning him. He has shit on my threads, too...but Cars & Bikes would be less interesting.

Big shock there. I figured if kirk came to a sudden stop , they have to remove your nose from his ass surgically.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd hate to see him banned.  Whether it be from one single forum or not.

Its a very large case of pot meet kettle IMHO.  

Every time I read another post with the term "stealership" and about how crooked "all mechanics" are, and all the other insults thrown at my profession, I stare in disbelief.  

Just last night I sent Quintin a few IM's on the matter and vented a little bit.  

So long as people are on this site are allowed to call me a theif by my chosen trade, and stereotype me and every other technician here, then KirkP should be allowed to post.

So long as Taxman whores every fucking car thread in existence with "GM SUCKS" and "Pontiac fucked me on the used car I bought" then KirkP should be allowed to post.  

So long as people are allowed to deliberately "+1" and mindlessly postwhore their way to a 10K postcount for no reason other than that they can, then KirkP should be allowed to voice his opinion, because from what I've seen, usually they are actually worth reading.

KirkP has also demonstrated a desire to help new riders and a genuine concern for their safety, making it a point to get the correct information across to those who need it.  Although I have no interest in motorcyccles, and think they should be in a seperate forum, his willingness to help is reason enough for him to stay here.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I have to reply.  I don't want to, but rather feel I have too.  This isn't intended as a Kirk bash, but rather as an informed opinion that is intended to highlight (and potentially correct) some danergously incorrect information (opinions) Kirk has....

Kirk may have his strengths.  Unfortunately, he also fails to recognize his limits.  Some of his information is dead on correct.  Some of it is also completely incorrect, and very frequently dangerously so.

He can ride.  He knows his bikes.  Fair enough. However, his recommendations for bikes, particularly for novices, is frequently dangerous.  He consistently recommends sport bikes for novices.  This is dangerous.  

Kirk is 100% correct regarding the technical abilities of many bikes.  Unfortunatley, he fails to recognize the limitations of most riders, particularly novices.  Most sport bikes are not, ever, appropriate for novices.  While these bikes have far greater potential than cruisers, they are also less forgiving.  They can and will bite the rider if they make mistakes.

Cruisers are COMPLETELY satisfactory for most riders.  Most riders do not and cannot rider anywhere near the limits of the bike.  They might use 40-70% of its capabilities.  These same riders would only use 10-40% of the capabilities of a sport bike, and the inherently more responsive nature of a sport bike would be far more likely to CAUSE a crash.  Most crashes are NOT caused by cagers.  Most crashes are caused by RIDER ERROR.  Check the Hurt Report.

Kirk's usual arguement goes like this:  Cruisers are dangerous.  Get a sport bike because only a sporty has the power and handling to avoid an accident.  If this line of thought is correct, then we should, as shooters, all recommend .458 Winchesters and various other belted magnums as novice rifles.  Only these large bore cartidges have the power to adequately flatten all game.  Lesser rifles have less power, and are more likely to cause crippling and injury.

Does that line of thought make sense?  It doesn't to me.  The lowly .243 (which I hate) as well as the .250-3000, .257, .260 and 7mm-08 are all widely recognized as fantastic novice rifles.  They have FAR less power than any magnum.  How can they be adequate for a novice?  Simple:  It is FAR better to have a novice shooter (or biker) firing a very modest cartidge (or riding a modest bike) they have complete control over (as well as confidence) than to have them shoot something they cannot control.  This holds for bikes as well as guns.  Better to be in complete control of an admittedly limited bike than to only have marginal control of a more powerful bike.

I hope the anology makes sense.  the comparison is valid.

As someone who trains motorcyclists for a living, I do know what I am talking about.  Many riders will initially be able to control a modest mid sized cruiser and successfully navigate our dangerous roads.  They would be far more likely to die in a crash on a sport bike, because they do not yet possess the requisite experience skill to handle it.

The key is NOT bike performance.  It is rider awareness.  If you are using bike performance to avoid accidents, you have already screwed up.  Safe street biking requires that a rider recongize and avoid hazards BEFORE gettting to them (and NOT reacting to the hazard after).  If you are relying on bike performance to avoid hazards, you are riding reactively and you've already screwed up.

Why I am brining this up?  I'm tired of the usual Kirk rant.  He posts a lot.  Some of the posts are technically correct.  Many of his posts unfortunately contain personal opinion (which is frequently incorrect) wrapped in the aura of "fact".  I normally wouldn't give a shit (I stopped responding the usual "LOOK AT ME!!!" posts) but the other 'facts' are misleading, dead wrong, and are likely to kill someone.

I'm not a super rider.  I do not do track days, nor have I won a race.  I don't wear dead cow all day.  However, I have trained several hundred riders, and when others are having their pictures taken as they ride on the track I'm on the range coaching would-be motorcyclists and trying to keep them alive.  I'm out there on the pavement rain or shine, in 100 degree heat, 12 hours a day, every weekend from May to September.  I've trained riders from 16 to 80, from all ages and walked of life.      I consider my time as a rider coach sort of like a preventative version of rescue squad work. Instead of cleaning up the mess after an accident, I try to prevent the accident in the forst place.  

I know what it takes to get a novice through that first year or two of riding.  And Kirk's way isn't it.........

I'm in favor of anything that shuts him up.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have to reply.  I don't want to, but rather feel I have too.  This isn't intended as a Kirk bash, but rather as an informed opinion that is intended to highlight (and potentially correct) some danergously incorrect information (opinions) Kirk has....

Kirk may have his strengths.  Unfortunately, he also fails to recognize his limits.  Some of his information is dead on correct.  Some of it is also completely incorrect, and very frequently dangerously so.

He can ride.  He knows his bikes.  Fair enough. However, his recommendations for bikes, particularly for novices, is frequently dangerous.  He consistently recommends sport bikes for novices.  This is dangerous.  

Kirk is 100% correct regarding the technical abilities of many bikes.  Unfortunatley, he fails to recognize the limitations of most riders, particularly novices.  Most sport bikes are not, ever, appropriate for novices.  While these bikes have far greater potential than cruisers, they are also less forgiving.  They can and will bite the rider if they make mistakes.

Cruisers are COMPLETELY satisfactory for most riders.  Most riders do not and cannot rider anywhere near the limits of the bike.  They might use 40-70% of its capabilities.  These same riders would only use 10-40% of the capabilities of a sport bike, and the inherently more responsive nature of a sport bike would be far more likely to CAUSE a crash.  Most crashes are NOT caused by cagers.  Most crashes are caused by RIDER ERROR.  Check the Hurt Report.

Kirk's usual arguement goes like this:  Cruisers are dangerous.  Get a sport bike because only a sporty has the power and handling to avoid an accident.  If this line of thought is correct, then we should, as shooters, all recommend .458 Winchesters and various other belted magnums as novice rifles.  Only these large bore cartidges have the power to adequately flatten all game.  Lesser rifles have less power, and are more likely to cause crippling and injury.

Does that line of thought make sense?  It doesn't to me.  The lowly .243 (which I hate) as well as the .250-3000, .257, .260 and 7mm-08 are all widely recognized as fantastic novice rifles.  They have FAR less power than any magnum.  How can they be adequate for a novice?  Simple:  It is FAR better to have a novice shooter (or biker) firing a very modest cartidge (or riding a modest bike) they have complete control over (as well as confidence) than to have them shoot something they cannot control.  This holds for bikes as well as guns.  Better to be in complete control of an admittedly limited bike than to only have marginal control of a more powerful bike.

As someone who trains motorcyclists for a living, I do know what I am talking about.  Many riders will initially be able to control a modest mid sized cruiser and successfully navigate our dangerous roads.  They would be far more likely to die in a crash on a sport bike, because they do not yet possess the requisite experience skill to handle it.

The key is NOT bike performance.  It is rider awareness.  If you are using bike performance to avoid accidents, you have already screwed up.  Safe street biking requires that a rider recongize and avoid hazards BEFORE gettting to them (and NOT reacting to the hazard after).  If you are relying on bike performance to avoid hazards, you are riding reactively and you've already screwed up.

Why I am brining this up?  I'm tired of the usual Kirk rant.  He posts a lot.  Some of the posts are technically correct.  Many of his posts unfortunately contain personal opinion (which is frequently incorrect) wrapped in the aura of "fact".  I normally wouldn't give a shit (I stopped responding the usual "LOOK AT ME!!!" posts) but the other 'facts' are misleading, dead wrong, and are likely to kill someone.

I'm not a super rider.  I do not do track days, nor have I won a race.  I don't wear dead cow all day.  However, I have trained several hundred riders, and when others are having their pictures taken as they ride on the track I'm on the range coaching would-be motorcyclists and trying to keep them alive.  I'm out there on the pavement rain or shine, in 100 degree heat, 12 hours a day, every weekend from May to September.  I've trained riders from 16 to 80, from all ages and walked of life.      I consider my time as a rider coach sort of like a preventative version of rescue squad work. Instead of cleaning up the mess after an accident, I try to prevent the accident in the forst place.  

I know what it takes to get a novice through that first year or two of riding.  And Kirk's way isn't it.........

I'll go with this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I'll go with this.

Yip sums it up for me too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ETA: Hemicuda. He, and a bunch of others, are a reason I haven't renewed my membership, and won't.

+ Fucking 1

And for every member that doesn't renew a membership because a certain member was banned, there will be 2 that join because the site is a better place over all without the troublemakers. Its been like that for that 8 years that I am a member here and the site has grown to double the amount of registered users in the past 4 years.

I only ask that people be respectful when posting. This is a hobby for 99.99% of the members in this forum. If you're letting this get to you then you need to shut off the computer for a few days and get a life.

Oh, IBTL!

IBTL..heh..made it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

is that my rear brake lever?

Definitely a ulysses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'd hate to see him banned.  Whether it be from one single forum or not.

Its a very large case of pot meet kettle IMHO.  

Every time I read another post with the term "stealership" and about how crooked "all mechanics" are, and all the other insults thrown at my profession, I stare in disbelief.  

Just last night I sent Quintin a few IM's on the matter and vented a little bit.  

So long as people are on this site are allowed to call me a theif by my chosen trade, and stereotype me and every other technician here, then KirkP should be allowed to post.

So long as Taxman whores every fucking car thread in existence with "GM SUCKS" and "Pontiac fucked me on the used car I bought" then KirkP should be allowed to post.  

So long as people are allowed to deliberately "+1" and mindlessly postwhore their way to a 10K postcount for no reason other than that they can, then KirkP should be allowed to voice his opinion, because from what I've seen, usually they are actually worth reading.

KirkP has also demonstrated a desire to help new riders and a genuine concern for their safety, making it a point to get the correct information across to those who need it.  Although I have no interest in motorcyccles, and think they should be in a seperate forum, his willingness to help is reason enough for him to stay here.  

+1. Thief.
J/K. I'm with you all the way, on everything you've said.
And I don't buy the logic of sportbikes not being appropriate. By that reasoning, everyone should have an F150 automatic as their first car. And having seen what happens when those drivers get behind the wheel of something that actually perfoms, no thanks.

Of course, I used to be a sportbike rider, so I'm going to side with KirkP on that anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I like Kirk.

Thumbs up from me.

Big +1.
He rubbed me the wrong way once, but he has a lot of educated no BS input that I learn from by reading.  Maybe if I was a Nazi I'd want him banned, but because I'm not, I don't want to see that happen.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Who is a better rider- Chuck Norris or KirkP?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I for one have never seen KirkP recommend a sportbike as a first bike.  He almost always will recommend an SV650 or a sport standard.

I may be wrong and if so someone please post a link to where he recommended a sportbike for a first bike.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I for one am actually sorry to see him gone. I thought he had a lot of great advice. And if the forums started banning people for being assholes, half of the forums would be lightweight tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I like Kirk.

Thumbs up from me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Wow this thread still going? LoL.

Ive lost interests already. who we talking about again?

Let me give you a hint D-T:

"SV650 is teh best bike evah"
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Who is a better rider- Chuck Norris or KirkP?

KirkP, obviously.  Bikes ride Chuck.

I too have stayed out of this forum, for the most part because of Kirk.  He is just too abrasive, and I am afraid I will lack the self control necessary to avoid COC.  I posted once in reply to him a few days ago.  It was as nice as I could possibly be.  And I still was wondering if I would hear about it.

That said, I can and do choose to visit this forum rarely.

rr
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#44]
By the way saturnstyl, I am with you with Taxman and his anti-GTO crap.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
By the way saturnstyl, I am with you with Taxman and his anti-GTO crap.

GTOs are crap. Bahahahaha..Naw they are okay cars. They surely couldnt bring back the mystic from the 60-70s but they tried. IMO, it looked like a Gran Prix or Gran am more than anything.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I could have sworn I saw some artist renderings that GM was going to do an American-made version that looked like a '70.  I don't think it happened though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#47]
He certainly can be a douche though, but hes helpful to people who want to get started with bikes.  Hes also very consistent and doesnt seem to resort to childish name calling much.  I dont really have a problem with him, although i can certainly see how some people could.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

This is the most intelligent post I've read on this forum.  Thumbs up frozenny!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I could have sworn I saw some artist renderings that GM was going to do an American-made version that looked like a '70.  I don't think it happened though.

Obviously it didnt happen. Now the camaro and charger have promise. The mustang was a hugh hit. So we shall see.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously it didnt happen. Now the camaro and charger have promise. The mustang was a hugh hit. So we shall see.

The new Camaro has to be THE ugliest car I've seen, period.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top