Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought it looked good

So did I, until I read the review from the guy on Foxnews.  He blasted the movie, and said the Will Smith/July 4 blockbuster has come to a screeching halt this year.

Reasons:

The earlier movies were family-friendly and it sounds like this one isn't, some little kid is calling someone an asshole in the first scene and it goes downhill from there.

You came to like Will's character in earlier movies...doesn't happen here.

I think the movie clocks in at 80 minutes, and they said it seems too long.

I like WS actionomedies, but either Fresh Prince did this reviewer's wife in the keister or this is one craptacular movie.

Awwwww hell no!

Yup. As predicted, That reviewer was a dumbass.

'Hancock' sparks $18.8 million Friday
Sony, Will Smith film tops Fourth of July B.O.
By ANTHONY D'ALESSANDRO

In its third day, Sony's "Hancock" reeled in $18.8 million, giving the thesp his highest grossing B.O. for the holiday. Smith's previous July 4th record belonged to "Independence Day" which racked up $17.3 million in 1996.

In its first three days, including Tuesday previews, "Hancock's" $60.1 million haul is currently pacing behind the $63.6 million cumed by "Independence Day" over the same frame, but ahead of the "Men in Black" films. "Hancock" is playing at 3,965 theaters.....

www.variety.com/article/VR1117988496.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Well even if its shitty alot of people will still go see it due to marketing and name,  IJ4 is one that comes to mind

Hey, he's the one that said Will Smith's string of July 4 blockbusters was going to come to a screeching halt.

He was wrong. The movie will probably crack $100mill by end of day tomorrow.

Also, I found the movie to be quite good and entertaining and will pick up a copy on Blu-Ray.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I dug it, very entertaining.
It was cool having a "real life character" play a superhero!

and Charlize Theron is way hotter than that spiderman chick

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/flickr/94/65/002413109465.jpg?x=660&y=660&sig=XDwJIw42hQPSLYWyP8Gr5w--
corriepikul.com/blog/kirstendunst.jpg

The comparison alone is laughable. Kirsten Dunst isn't even in the same league as Charlize Theron.... especially in Hancock. Once she' goes all super she looks CRAZY HOT!!! I'd post more pictures to illustrate my point but I've already been temp-banned for posting BOTD pics outside the BOTD forum.

On an unrelated note... .what's with women wearing what  looks like pregnancy clothes all the time. I swear the majority of the current women's clothing looks like something that should be worn by a woman in their second trimester.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought this movie was outstanding.

Charlize Theron has been a favorite of mine since 'Monster' and she didn't disappoint in 'Hancock'. She was outstanding. Jason Bateman was also wonderful. I've never really seen him in anything other than television drama and he really delivered. Will Smith was great as usual. That man can deliver a funny line. He played this character very, very well. I'll buy it when it comes out.

Great way to spend 80 some odd minutes.

of
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
very good movie, must see
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Very entertaining.  A little underdeveloped, though I'm sure we'll see a sequel and/or a prequel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I was pleasantly surprised by the "Old school" profanity to be honest.  Today's movies are truely watered down, even when there is profanity it sounds forced and comes across like "oppsy I said a bad word".  It's nice to see a movie where people talk like.....well like people really talk.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#8]
36% from RT means i'm not paying to see it, will smith or not.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
36% from RT means i'm not paying to see it, will smith or not.

Your missing out on a good movie then.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#10]
i only said i'm not PAYING to see it
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I can smell the alcohol on you... That's cause I've been drinkin bitch!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i only said i'm not PAYING to see it

Ahh, i see what you did there
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife and I saw this past Saturday night.  We both liked it.  I think I will pick it up when it comes out on DVD.  Some parts were funny as hell.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I can smell the alcohol on you... That's cause I've been drinkin bitch!!!

That line right there practically sold me a ticket by itself!

(haven't seen it yet though   )
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Cmon,what's the spoiler?.I ain't going to see it anyway, super hero movies are not my genre.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I dug it, very entertaining.

l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/flickr/94/65/002413109465.jpg?x=660&y=660&sig=XDwJIw42hQPSLYWyP8Gr5w--

Charlize Theron is probably the third African-American female to win an Academy Award.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
It was entertaining but god damn it.  EVERY funny moment from the entire damn movie is in the trailers.  Maybe a line or two of context missing but I felt like I had seen the first half of the movie already.

Now I didn't see the twist coming at all.  That was pretty cool, but the ending was forced and cheesy I thought.  Still, it was decent mindless entertainment wich was exactly what I wanted.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It was entertaining but god damn it.  EVERY funny moment from the entire damn movie is in the trailers.  Maybe a line or two of context missing but I felt like I had seen the first half of the movie already.

Now I didn't see the twist coming at all.  That was pretty cool, but the ending was forced and cheesy I thought.  Still, it was decent mindless entertainment wich was exactly what I wanted.

All I gotta say is that the scene in the kitchen the next morning had me LMAO.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Now I didn't see the twist coming at all.  That was pretty cool

tru dat

but thanks to my over-scrutinizing trailers I was able to pick out the scene where Will Smith does a head on collision with another person... I figured it had to be a another super and when I was watching it I knew the other super had to be one of the mainstream stars.... and since there really wasn't any others that the film focused on enough... I figured it had to be her... since Bateman is just way too much of a goofball.

but yeah... the trailers definitely revealed too much.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Saw it last night. Good flick that had me laughing and drop-jawed throughout. Good plot twists and a little predictable toward the end. All in all a good see. The big screen doesn't add much so I bet it'll be a good play on Blu-Ray.

"If you don't get out of my way, I'm gonna stick his head up your ass."
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#21]
looks funny i'll give it a shot

Link Posted: 7/9/2008 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I liked it.  Very entertaining, with some good twists thrown in.  

"You should sue McDonalds 'cause they fucked you up"

Link Posted: 7/9/2008 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Got to admit, the Drunk superhero image was definatly original, and soo off the beaten path,, Superman/ batman /spiderman marvel comics / dc comics,  all the supers are well goodie goodie people,, nothing wrong with that,  but is refreshing to see the opposite side of the coin, the "what if"

Wishing abit more on the back story thou, but guess it leaves it open for future movies?  
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Good job.

I liked the movie.

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#26]
The movie was great. Very funny, and certainly not typical Will Smith. There are many politcally incorrect moments in the movie. I can see why the "critics" are only giving it two and three stars. They are all offended by the "homo" comments when Hancock is looking at super-hero costumes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I can see why the "critics" are only giving it two and three stars.

I think most critics didn't like it because really it was a bad. make that bad two movies. It felt like the writers got to a point and then ran out of ideas. Their solution...the twist, the second story.  I personally think the second story was stupid but even leaving it in neither part really developed the characters much. It had as much depth as a 30 minute T.V. show.  I really think this movie would have been a lot better had they done a whole movie with the P.R. angle of the story and then left the kitchen scene as a teaser for a part two movie.

Edit: Examples of more information I would have liked to know.
1. Why did he become a drunk? Just because of that time in the hospital?
2. Why did he not ask the girl his real name? Wouldn't you like to know?
3. Why did he not ask the girl if she loved him? If I saw this hot chick I would want to know something substantial about what happened between us in the past.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:05:02 AM EDT
[#28]
"What are you pricks looking at?"

I chuckled under my breath the rest of the movie after that line
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The comparison alone is laughable. Kirsten Dunst isn't even in the same league as Charlize Theron.... especially in Hancock. Once she' goes all super she looks CRAZY HOT!!! I'd post more pictures to illustrate my point but I've already been temp-banned for posting BOTD pics outside the BOTD forum.

On an unrelated note... .what's with women wearing what  looks like pregnancy clothes all the time. I swear the majority of the current women's clothing looks like something that should be worn by a woman in their second trimester.

Yeah, but my impression is that if I went to bed with Kirsten Dunst, I'd wake up with her in my arms. If I went to bed with Charlize Theron, I'd wake up with a knife in my chest. She's too crazy for me!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Watched it last night.  Parts of it had me rolling in the seats.  The twist was stupid though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Finally caught this last night, and I really enjoyed it. Very funny.

Unfortunately, didn't catch a few minutes towards the end of it cuz the bulb went out in the projector, right in the middle of the climax. They got a new one in pretty quick, but said they couldn't rewind it. Seems pretty stupid to me, but free movie pass, and I got to see the end.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, didn't catch a few minutes towards the end of it cuz the bulb went out in the projector, right in the middle of the climax. They got a new one in pretty quick, but said they couldn't rewind it. Seems pretty stupid to me, but free movie pass, and I got to see the end.

The way the projector works, they can't rewind it.  I use to work in a movie theater.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#34]
This was the dumbest movie I have seen all year. And I have seen some doozies this year.

There were 1 or 2 funny lines, the rest was horrible.

I knew I should have walked out when he was flying through the air to the "move, bitch" song. That was representative of the whole movie: stupid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The way the projector works, they can't rewind it.  I use to work in a movie theater.

Cool. I believed they were telling the truth; it's just amazing that all the technology in this day and age and they can't rewind a movie a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm all alone in a hotel room and needed a change of scenery, so I went across the street to see it.  (Matinee special: movie, coke and popcorn all for $9!)  Not anything earth shatteringly socially significant or anything, but entertaining.  Kinda cheesy ending, but I enjoyed it, ASSHOLES!

- What do you think of this?
- Homo
- This?
- Homo in red
- This?
- Norwegian homo
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#37]
That movie sucked.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top