User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What kind of employee was he?

Equipment Operator working a hazardous waste site.  

That's ALL that needs to be said.  

It's stupid to fire the mailroom guy because he has a doobie on the weekends.  But a HAZARDOUS WASTE HAULER is a COMPLETELY different story.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#2]

You should have just sent him this email:  

Unemploymentvile

Population --------->  You

Zen

"This is my druggie, there are many like him, but this one is unemployed"  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was he stoned at work?  I understand company policy for drugs but disagree with the penalty part of it.  If the person is stoned at work, fire his ass, no questions asked.  If the person uses off the jobsite then it's not the companies buisness to enforce laws.

If a state has sodomy laws and you have a homo working for you do you fire them?  How about any other law that they break off site?  When did corporate America become a law enforcement agency?

You really believe drug users limit their use to just Fiday night, to make sure they are sober for Monday-Friday?  My opinion is drug use is a good measure of the moral integrity of a man.

I think you are stoned at this very moment to make a statement like that. Do you have even the slightest clue as to what you are talking about?
EVERYONE uses drugs....EVERYONE! INCLUDING YOU. Ever have a beer? Take an asprin? Etc....
There are hundreds of thousands of illegal drug users that dont use on the job. You would be VERY surprised at the people in VERY high level positions that use illegal drugs. People that you know and trust use illegal drugs and you dont even suspect it. Open your eyes man.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#4]
That must have been very difficult. Rules are meant to be followed and it's part of the job. It's nice that you feel bad, but it's just something that had to be done.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was he stoned at work?  I understand company policy for drugs but disagree with the penalty part of it.  If the person is stoned at work, fire his ass, no questions asked.  If the person uses off the jobsite then it's not the companies buisness to enforce laws.

If a state has sodomy laws and you have a homo working for you do you fire them?  How about any other law that they break off site?  When did corporate America become a law enforcement agency?

You really believe drug users limit their use to just Fiday night, to make sure they are sober for Monday-Friday?  My opinion is drug use is a good measure of the moral integrity of a man.

I think you are stoned at this very moment to make a statement like that. Do you have even the slightest clue as to what you are talking about?
EVERYONE uses drugs....EVERYONE! INCLUDING YOU. Ever have a beer? Take an asprin? Etc....
There are hundreds of thousands of illegal drug users that dont use on the job. You would be VERY surprised at the people in VERY high level positions that use illegal drugs. People that you know and trust use illegal drugs and you dont even suspect it. Open your eyes man.

you cant compare asprin to cocain..
and depending on the prescribed drug it may contain warnings that tell you "do not operate heavy machinery" that the pharmacist has to put on the bottle.
Illegal drugs in your system also do not have an ON/OFF switch...so if your on em.. your on em 24/7.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had to fire a lot of people over the years.  Only one didn't deserve it; I was ordered to by upper management.  I quit that job shortly after.
I have had to fire several friends, remained friends with all but one.  Had a good friend coming in drinking.  I explained that he put me in a bad position since we were friends and all.
I only enjoyed it once.  I told the asshole to check the antifreeze in all our vehicles.  About 9 pm going into a hard freeze I had a feeling so I went and checked a vehicle myself.  NO antifreeze; all water.
Fired his ass at 8 am next morning.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You would be VERY surprised at the people in VERY high level positions that use illegal drugs. People that you know and trust use illegal drugs and you dont even suspect it. Open your eyes man.

I can't count the number of times I've heard Pizza Hut delivery boys or sackers at the grocery store make that claim...  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You would be VERY surprised at the people in VERY high level positions that use illegal drugs. People that you know and trust use illegal drugs and you dont even suspect it. Open your eyes man.

I can't count the number of times I've heard Pizza Hut delivery boys or sackers at the grocery store make that claim...  

To them, High Level = Produce Manager
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish I could fire this bitch at work. It'd be like in the boardroom, I'd point at her and say "YOU'RE FIRED!"  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Illegal drugs in your system also do not have an ON/OFF switch...so if your on em.. your on em 24/7.

How are those different than legal drugs?

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How are those different than legal drugs?

it all depends on the drug.. but most illegal drugs dont come with warnling labels.. and most people on legal drugs that make them unable do their job are not at work.  A coke addict aint gonna stay home with a doctors note collecting dissability.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would of been silent and used dolls - pulling the head off of one - pointing at it and then pointing at him.  Then the other dolls would have danced around the headless one.

Did I get that right Sarge?

one of the funniest posts i've read on this site in months!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You should have just sent him this email:  

Unemploymentvile

Population --------->  You

Zen

"This is my druggie, there are many like him, but this one is unemployed"  

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Not you anymore!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Spoken like a drug-addled / spoiled dumbass. What don't you understand about the difference between a Law and a Company Policy?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We had an employee fail a drug test during his annual physical. I had to deliver the news, my first time.

For the past 15 years or so , I've been the Axe man . Sometimes its easy and sometimes its not .

The labor laws must be different in SC , I know that here in the PRNY its very hard to fire someone for failing one drug test . One shop I was the foreman at had 38 CDL drivers and all but 7 had at least one failed test .
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Hey, all you drug apologists!  Why don't you start a company and only hire Friday-night-only-pot-smokers-that-got-fired-but -are-otherwise-good-employees?  JimB can give you your first lead!

hmmm, thought so.

He knew the rules, and broke them.  Bye bye.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
some go home after work and have a 6-12 pack a day. some smoke a few joints.
So what?

I never smoked at work when I was using pot.

It has nothing to do with "moral integrity"  has to do with it being no one elses business what I or anyone else does after work.
you must test your employees weekly to keep those drug users out I suppose?
here's something that beats your moral integrity BS hands down on the drug user.

and there's plenty more out there, and/or buddies at work who will help with a clean donation.
most likely, you have 1 or more on every job site and you never even had a clue.  
Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really believe alcohol users limit their use to just Fiday night, to make sure they are sober for Monday-Friday?  My opinion is alcohol use is a good measure of the moral integrity of a man.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#19]
What happens if one day he smokes his dope or meth before work instead of after? I know a guy who saw what that does once. He watched as scaffolding assembled by a methhead failed. Another guy was severely injured.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What happens if one day he smokes his dope or meth before work instead of after? I know a guy who saw what that does once. He watched as scaffolding assembled by a methhead failed. Another guy was severely injured.

Sorry to hear about the accident.
But, anyone could have missed something in the assembly stone cold sober too. it's been known to happen.
that kind of stuff happens from time to time even from the best of us.

Not a one of us is immune from mistakes, of course I speak for Myself only,  but it's highly doubtful anyone else here is mistake free in all their years. You or a Coworker didn't get maimed/mutilated or dead. but a mistake that could have gotten you that way quick.

It happens.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The use of illegal drugs goes to the morality of the individual. I am surprised that some on this board would be as selective of their personal compliance to laws of the land. This is why there is such a problem in this country. People think they can pick and choose what they will comply with and want no responsibility or consequence to those actions once they're caught!

I run a nursing home. Think about whether you would like some spaced out nurse or CNA taking care of your mother or grandmother, or ANYBODY!

When I hire someone, I require a drug test. They don't have to take one, but if they don't, they're not hired. I'm under a law in my business that says I cannot knowingly hire or employ anyone with a felony conviction, some misdomeanor convictions or illegal drug use. My failure to enforce this will result in loss of my professional license and result in fines per instance of $10,000 per day for every day a person fitting the above criteria was employed in my establishment....

So if one person was found to have used drugs and I knew about it, employed them anyway, was audited, the person was found to have worked 30 days after knowlege of the failed drug test, .......I would have to pay a fine of $300,000 and probably have my license taken away!

I TAKE IT AS A BIG DEAL, and so do a lot of other companies!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]
"The use of illegal drugs goes to the morality of the individual. I am surprised that some on this board would be as selective of their personal compliance to laws of the land"

Speeding? let me guess you've never sped on the road?

georgia law : 16-6-18. Fornication.
An unmarried person commits the offense of fornication when he voluntarily has sexual intercourse with another person and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished as for a misdemeanor.

Let me also guess you were a virgin and married when you first had sex?

and again

they're already there.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Too bad he's the only one on your crew without test free. The rest are just as high, but they are smart enough to buy anti drug test products.

Have fun at work!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#24]
You really believe that the fifth of Jack Daniels or 9 beers you drank last night does not have any bearing on your job performance today at work.

I'm amazed that some of the posters here in this thread who are the most opposed to drugs are admittedly heavy drinkers.

What's the difference?

Legality?

pfhtt

Alcohol effects your job performance no less than drug usage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you support drug and alcohol testing for employment?  How about airline pilots, bus drivers, SCHOOL bus drivers?  

If you are in a safety sensitive position, I'm all for D&A testing.  In some jobs, the people in the position and their supervisors, right up the line to company president, are required to submit to testing.  Oh, and you'd better tell someone about that prescription before you operate because if it pops after an incident, you're still history.

Your sense of personal right to be intoxicated does not supercede my right to safety.

flame away,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#26]
What's worse, some of them also say we should legalize drugs that don't need refinement to be complete.
pot's ok, but coke isn't.

I'm still waiting to see the beer tree.

Chris

Quoted:
You really believe that the fifth of Jack Daniels or 9 beers you drank last night does not have any bearing on your job performance today at work.

I'm amazed that some of the posters here in this thread who are the most opposed to drugs are admittedly heavy drinkers.

What's the difference?

Legality?

pfhtt

Alcohol effects your job performance no less than drug usage.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, anyone could have missed something in the assembly stone cold sober too. it's been known to happen.

Not a one of us is immune from mistakes, of course I speak for Myself only,  but it's highly doubtful anyone else here is mistake free in all their years. You or a Coworker didn't get maimed/mutilated or dead. but a mistake that could have gotten you that way quick.

It happens.

Chris

Thats why you fire everyone who pops positive. Cause its dangerous enough when everybody isn't intoxicated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I have fired for drug use.  While we didn't do piss tests, we did have good employees who were solicited to partake in the gonga during lunch.

It wasn't that hard to pick up on.  Performance would drop dramatically after lunch for a couple of guys.  I just kept track of all the things they fucked up and fired separately at the end of work on different Fridays.

Both were extremely hostile and went democrat when I gave them the news.  I didn't fire for drug use because it was too costly to prove.  I just fired for poor performance and didn't give cause (not required by law here).

Fuck em.  They were stoners who should never have been hired in the first place (I inherited them).  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have fired for drug use.  While we didn't do piss tests, we did have good employees who were solicited to partake in the gonga during lunch.

It wasn't that hard to pick up on.  Performance would drop dramatically after lunch for a couple of guys.  I just kept track of all the things they fucked up and fired separately at the end of work on different Fridays.

Both were extremely hostile and went democrat when I gave them the news.  I didn't fire for drug use because it was too costly to prove.  I just fired for poor performance and didn't give cause (not required by law here).

Fuck em.  They were stoners who should never have been hired in the first place (I inherited them).  

AMEN!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You really believe drug alcohol users limit their use to just Fiday night, to make sure they are sober for Monday-Friday? My opinion is drug alcohol
use is a good measure of the moral integrity of a man.

let the bastards get fired for boozing or smoking (like the company up in michigan tried recently) and watch the ceo's change their minds in a hurry.

If he is stonned or drunk and operating a crane does is matter which?

That is why CDLs and heavy equipment have strict requirements. Do you really want to stand uner a crane operator if he is just "drinking a few beers"?

I know I wouldn't.

If you want to mow your lawn drunk go ahead but don't try and operate a crane that way. Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The employer was not enforcing the law. The employer was enforcing legitimate conditions of employment. Usually the workers compensation insurance carrier requires these rules to protect their financial exposure.
In other words the employer has no choice.

Regards,
Mild Bill

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you drink beer only Friday and Saturday?  Harder alcoholic drinks?  Never come to work with a hangover?

It's not quite that simple.

(And before you ask, no, I don't use drugs.  Nor do I drink alcohol.  I just think you're painting with WAAAAY too wide a brush.)
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
When did corporate America become a law enforcement agency?

When this baby was signed by the President:The Drug Free Workplace Program
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#35]
most you "fire" aren't high on the job,It just takes time to flow through the system.
failing that test is easily cured of course with a buddy with clean piss.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It happens.

Chris

Thats why you fire everyone who pops positive. Cause its dangerous enough when everybody isn't intoxicated.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The employer was not enforcing the law. The employer was enforcing legitimate conditions of employment. Usually the workers compensation insurance carrier requires these rules to protect their financial exposure.
In other words the employer has no choice.

Regards,
Mild Bill

One more time for the pot-smokers who seem to be a little slow on the uptake. Put the Twinkie down and read Mild Bill's post. Then read it again when you aren't high, maybe you'll have enough brain cells left to understand it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I sure am glad we're letting the insurance companies make law for us now. it sure has helped so far???

next it'll be You drive an unsafe car. you're fired.
You live near a factory?  We can't have that. you're fired.
You're a Gun owner  OMG. FIRE HIM!  
Etc
Etc
Etc

God bless those thoughtful insurance companies. ( dripping sarchasm)

Chris

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I sure am glad we're letting the insurance companies make law for us now. it sure has helped so far???

Etc
Etc
Etc

Chris

Insurance companies don't make laws they make policy. And you can ignore their policy and get someone else, but you'll probably pay for it.

As for car accidents, have you ever talked to a UPS driver? I had an uncle who drove for a bread company and would not even consider UPS, even though they payed much better, because if he was to get into an accident he would be fired regardless of who was at fault.

As for the dumbass in question, he failed a drug/alcohol test on an annual physical that he knew was coming. He should be fired on the basis of terminal stupidity alone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Too bad you had to do it, but it sounds like you didn't have a choice.

Also, did anyone ever complain about him being high on the job?

If not, it is the company who is in the wrong. Getting stoned or drunk on your own time is no one else's business.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#40]
the part in red. No question

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Etc
Etc
Etc

Chris

Insurance companies don't make laws they make policy. And you can ignore their policy and get someone else, but you'll probably pay for it.

As for car accidents, have you ever talked to a UPS driver? I had an uncle who drove for a bread company and would not even consider UPS, even though they payed much better, because if he was to get into an accident he would be fired regardless of who was at fault.

As for the dumbass in question, he failed a drug/alcohol test on an annual physical that he knew was coming. He should be fired on the basis of terminal stupidity alone.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top