Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I didn't quite understand you...you said...

We didn't have our seatbelts on and I'm amazed it didn't do more damage.

...it didn't do more damage, what? Possibly your heads crashing through the front windshield damaging the vehicle more or more damage to you physically?

Im glad your ok.

me too
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, so is it harder to stop a 6000 pound vehicle or not?

If it has strong brakes and a good suspension, NO.

It's getting the right sized brakes, and properly designed suspension that can be tricky.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, so is it harder to stop a 6000 pound vehicle or not?

Yes, it's harder. But the actual stopping distances depend heavily on the design of the brakes, suspension, and tires.

For a comparison, handguns are harder to shoot accurately then rifles. But an IPSC champ can shoot his handgun more accurately then some kid who just bought his first rifle.

Note the two extremes: the Cayenne is a very expensive vehicle, designed by a sports car company. They had the money and the expertise to make it stop just as short as a good sports car. Meanwhile, the Civic is designed for economy and ride comfort, with not nearly as much attention paid to performance.

Of course, there are lots of compromises involved too. If you set up the brakes, suspension, and tires to get optimum stopping distances, then you sacrifice ride comfort with the suspension, and the brakes and tires wear out faster. In the extreme with race car equipment, the brakes and tires may perform worse then the economy cars until they are warmed up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I hit him giong 45 and didn't have time to hit my brakes for more than a second.   I guess it was my fault, but I didn't get a ticket and guy guy told the cop he changed lanes too fast and he had to slam on his brakes. oh well glad I had full coverage

MickeyMouse, I think what this post is getting at, is the other vehicle pulled into his lane w/o the proper spacing between vehicles, and applied it's brakes.

Seems like what a lot of people call getting cut off, combined with braking................... The image of the truck's damage makes mwe think the other truck was only about 1/3 of the way into the lane before braking, and the crash.    
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hit him giong 45 and didn't have time to hit my brakes for more than a second.   I guess it was my fault, but I didn't get a ticket and guy guy told the cop he changed lanes too fast and he had to slam on his brakes. oh well glad I had full coverage

MickeyMouse, I think what this post is getting at, is the other vehicle pulled into his lane w/o the proper spacing between vehicles, and applied it's brakes.

Seems like what a lot of people call getting cut off, combined with braking................... The image of the truck's damage makes mwe think the other truck was only about 1/3 of the way into the lane before braking, and the crash.    

Ya he wasn't all the way over yet, but he was at a full stop when I slamed him.  You should see his truck, it was pretty bad.  Mine wouldn't drive, but his did after he bent the fenders out.  I think his frame is bent
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Never doubted that the other guy changed lanes into you.  Unfortunately in OH it doesn't matter much - guy in back is ALWAYS guilty.  Sounds like your insurance has the same short sighted opinion.

Same thing in Florida.  It doesn't matter if all of the laws of physics cease to exist, and the car freezes instantly in place, if you hit 'em you're fucked.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You should have seen the Dodge (American) caravan after my Rodeo (Japanese) smashed the shit out of it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top