Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
TRuly awsome creatures and not to come off like a peta freak but its almost a shame to kill them unless they are posing a threat.

Hey Zumbo Jr. - Tell us all about why we shouldn't be allowed to hunt lion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TRuly awsome creatures and not to come off like a peta freak, but it is its almost a shame to kill them unless they are posing a threat.

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

That's a shame.

It's not like we don't have enough enemies. We have to call each other names, like "Fudds".

If you don't want to hunt big cats, then don't.

But there is no reason to insult honest hunters that are hunting legal game.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I said I had no PERSONAL interest in hunting big cats. I never condemned another hunter for doing so. And obviously if I would shoot another human that posed a threat to me or mine I would have no conflict in the least with putting a big cat down that did the same.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TRuly awsome creatures and not to come off like a peta freak, but it is its almost a shame to kill them unless they are posing a threat.

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

It's called game management. Unreal, some of you guys are are just as ignorant as Zumbo. You don't see any connection between your right to own an AR and another man's right to hunt lion. So long as things are done the way you see fit all is well. Think about it. Zumbo thinks hunting with an AR is "a shame." Similarly, you think hunting lion is "a shame."

Besides, those guys, with the money they put into the hunt via license and tag fees, guide services, dog breeding, training etc.,  have done more for wildlife conservation than you know. In the end they benefit the game they pursue.

Just so I am clear. It is one thing to personally disagree with taking a lion, that is fine -personal preference, but don't look down your nose on another man for doing it. That is weak.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Can they be eaten?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wonder if cougar tastes any good.

While I haven't tried it myself, I've been told by those who have that predators of any kind don't tend to make good table fare.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
TRuly awsome creatures and not to come off like a peta freak but its almost a shame to kill them unless they are posing a threat.

+1

It'd be nice if they left the truely exceptional critters alive to breed and produce more exceptional critters. The obsession with tryin to get into the record books is hurting the game species as a whole.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know about the picture on the right, but the two on the left are Photoshopped. It may even be real (them killing the cat), but those pics are chopped.

What makes you say that?

The lighting looks off. I could be wrong, too. When I get pics in email, I get REALLY critical. Heck, maybe it is legit.

I don't see a problem with lighting, it is near mid-day and the sky is overcast.  What I do see is that the aperture is small so that the depth of field is large, but the shutter-speed is slower than normal for bright snow---revealed by the blur of the dog on the right.  Also, since the depth of field is well focused, it is easy to have the people and dogs somewhat behind the cat.  A fairly long lense was used too to shorten the space between the dogs and cat. I think the lense was about 100-150 for a standard 35mm film (digital cameras would use a shorter lense for the same effect like 80-90mm).

As I said earlier, the pic of the cat being carried gives a better interpretation of size.

Dave.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

It's called game management. Unreal, some of you guys are are just as ignorant as Zumbo. You don't see any connection between your right to own an AR and another man's right to hunt lion. So long as things are done the way you see fit all is well. Think about it. Zumbo thinks hunting with an AR is "a shame." Similarly, you think hunting lion is "a shame."

Besides, those guys, with the money the put into the sport via license and tag fees, guide services, dog breeding, training etc.,  have done more for wildlife conservation than you know. In the end they benefit the game they pursue.

Just so I am clear. It is one thing to personally disagree with taking a lion, that is fine -personal preference, but don't look down your nose on another man for doing it. That is weak.

Please point to anything that gives you a right to hunt.

Now personally, I don't hunt larger animals.  Varmints for me.  I won't condemn someone for legally hunting either.  Gut shooting an animal and waiting for it to bleed out in a tree is a bit much for me, though.

Again, You have no RIGHT to hunt.  You are the one who is making Zumbo's mistake.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The e-mail I received stated that this cat weighed 210 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I say BS too..................looks photochoped

Notice how in both photos of the cat recumbent, they are EXACTLY the same even though the camera angle has changed.... even the snow around the cat is the same.

efxguy

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Can they be eaten?

I assume this is a rhetorical question.  

A human can be eaten. Ever see the movie "Alive" ?

Generally, lions, or any predator for that matter are not table fare. They are legal to hunt because their numbers need to be managed to keep the carrying capacity of the environment balanced. Lions are flourishing because of game management and exist in huntable numbers in many states.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can they be eaten?

I assume this is a rhetorical question.  

A human can be eaten. Ever see the movie "Alive" ?

Generally, lions, or any predator for that matter are not table fare. They are legal to hunt because their numbers need to be managed to keep the carrying capacity of the environment balanced. Lions are flourishing because of game management and exist in huntable numbers in many states.

with enough Tony C's and hot sauce anything can be eaten IMHO
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

That's a shame.

It's not like we don't have enough enemies. We have to call each other names, like "Fudds".

If you don't want to hunt big cats, then don't.

But there is no reason to insult honest hunters that are hunting legal game.

I wasnt insulting the hunter I repeat it was only my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Again, You have no RIGHT to hunt.  You are the one who is making Zumbo's mistake.

You lost me on that one. I have a GOD given right to hunt. That one trumps the bill of rights, 2A and all the judges that have ever sat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You lost me on that one. I have a GOD given right to hunt. That one trumps the bill of rights, 2A and all the judges that have ever sat.

and with this ...

I forcast a

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

Besides, those guys, with the money the put into the sport via license and tag fees, guide services, dog breeding, training etc.,  have done more for wildlife conservation than you know. In the end they benefit the game they pursue.

Now personally, I don't hunt larger animals.  Varmints for me.  I won't condemn someone for legally hunting either.  Gut shooting an animal and waiting for it to bleed out in a tree is a bit much for me, though.

Your must be joking. Yes, I do have the right. It may not be protected in the Constitution but the right exists nevertheless.

Where do you think your rights come from? Government does not grant rights, governments are merely instituted among men to protect rights. Do you think rights are granted by government or inherent in man? Please answer. Trust me on this, you can't school me in the subject area of fundamental rights, law or the Constitution.

For you to say I have no right to hunt demonstrates your complete ignorance on any of these topics. Do you think the Bill of Rights is a comprehensive list of your rights and anything not expressly listed therein is not a right?

I didn't graduate Summa Cum Laude in Political Science or get my J.D. and not learn anything about rights. But hey, if you want a shot at the title, answer my questions and let’s get this party started.  

Edited for spelling, cause I'm anal like that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to wonder if that is real.

The largest mountain lion I have ever seen weighed about 150....

That thing looks like it would dress out at least twice that large. It's the largest mountain lion I have ever seen....

If it is real.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually the dogs in that pic are jack russell terriers and that guy is only four foot tall.

Kinda takes all the steam outta it now don't it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#22]
If it's real it's an awesome Cat , but I would have probably let it
pass . There is something about taking the top of the gene pool
that never sat right with me .... But to each his own
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

Your must be joking. Yes, I do have the right. It may not be protected in the Constitution but the right exists nevertheless.

Where do you think your rights come from? Government does not grant rights, governments are merely instituted among men to protect rights. Do you think rights are granted by government or inherent in man? Please answer. Trust me on this, you can't school me in the subject area of fundamental rights, law or the Constitution.

For you to say I have no right to hunt demonstrates your complete ignorance on any of these topics. Do you think the Bill of Rights is a comprehensive list of your rights and anything not expressly listed therein is not a right?

I didn't graduate Summa Cum Laude in Political Science or get my J.D. and not learn anything about rights. But hey, if you want a shot at the title, answer my questions and let’s get this party started.  

So you can hunt deer out of season?  Are you waterfowl hunting year round?  Do you regularly poach?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

So you can hunt deer out of season?  Are you waterfowl hunting year round?  Do you regularly poach?  

No, no, and no.  

Do you CCW in government buildings/bars? Do you own an RPG/Grenade Launcher? Do you brandish your weapon in a way that would be threatening to others? Can you purchase a handgun at 18? I could go on.  

Rights (firearms and hunting) are subject to reasonable regulation.

Consider this hypothetical:

Suppose the Framers never wrote the Second Amendment. Would the right to bear arms still exist? Granted, the right to bear arms (protect oneself) may be more fundamental than hunting - it is, however, probably on the same level as providing food for you and your family (if you couldn't pick up dinner at the grocery store you might need to hunt).

I answered yours. You gonna answer my questions?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I dont have a problem hunting cats. So long as its done in a managed way and controlled. If they did "tree" him to get him then I think thats wrong. Shit go after that pussy with a knife like Jeremiah Johnson would do!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

Do you CCW in government buildings/bars? Do you own an RPG?

Public places?  You really want to argue about personal property rights?

RPG?  Sure I'd take one.  And I should be able to, but that's NOT what we are talking about here, is it.

Go out and shoot a deer on your land out of season.   It is called poaching.  Those animals are considered public resources, and are managed as such.

You said it yourself, hunting is about public game management.  It is not a right.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed, fuckin' Fudds.

Do you CCW in government buildings/bars? Do you own an RPG?

Public places?  You really want to argue about personal property rights?

RPG?  Sure I'd take one.  And I should be able to, but that's NOT what we are talking about here, is it.

Go out and shoot a deer on your land out of season.   It is called poaching.  Those animals are considered public resources, and are managed as such.

You said it yourself, hunting is about public game management.  It is not a right.  

Is providing food for your family a right? What if your cupboard was bare and your children were starving. SHTF time. There is no food at the grocery store either. One morning you see a deer in your backyard. However, it is illegal to take deer in your state. The state leg./game & fish department has said so. Do you have a right to take that animal to feed your family?

The same goes for firearms. Say the new AWB is signed into law. Even worse - your guns are confiscated by the feds. - all but one you managed to stash away in a hidden bunker. SHTF time. The neighbors are coming for your last bag of "Really Good" deer jerky. They are breaking down the door. Do you have the right to grab your last gun and protect what's yours?

In both instances the rights exist, but are denied by government. Hunting and guns are subject to reasonable regulation. What's reasonable depends on what the SCOTUS says is reasonable. Regardless, rights are inherent in man and dictate the outcome in both of the above situations. What rights are denied are simply those we are willing tolerate.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Dude, I don't even know how to photoshop, but I could do better that that.

This is evidently some guy with importance issues that likes to pretend he knows WTF.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dude, I don't even know how to photoshop, but I could do better that that.

This is evidently some guy with importance issues that likes to pretend he knows WTF.

Are you referring to me?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#30]

God gives me the right to hunt. Don't like it? Talk to the man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I say BS too..................looks photochoped

Notice how in both photos of the cat recumbent, they are EXACTLY the same even though the camera angle has changed.... even the snow around the cat is the same.

efxguy

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Everyone with FireFox and the Zoom Image add in, do a right click, Zoom Image, Custom Zoom, and enter a magnification of 900%. Check out the area from the cat's left ear backwards to its neck. You'll see where it was cropped.

wganz

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#32]
ost
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know about the picture on the right, but the two on the left are Photoshopped. It may even be real (them killing the cat), but those pics are chopped.

What makes you say that?

Tail got shorter in the pic to the right?

Same exact pose as the one taken up in Washington?

Where's the weapon?

Article?

Link?

t
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The usual method for killing a big treed cat is to shoot it in the body with something like a .22 magnum so it bleeds out in the tree and is mostly dead when it hits the ground...thus not mauling up the dog pack.

Maybe they could catch them in a live trap and starve them to death.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you say that?

The lighting looks off. I could be wrong, too. When I get pics in email, I get REALLY critical. Heck, maybe it is legit.

I'd put money on that cat being 100% real.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If it's real it's an awesome Cat , but I would have probably let it
pass . There is something about taking the top of the gene pool
that never sat right with me .... But to each his own

That's because it's not natural. In the wild, the biggest and strongest are the leaders and generally the survivors. When man is introduced to the equation, the biggest and strongest are specifically sought out for trophies.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Can they be eaten?

looking past the sarcasm, cougars prey on humans.  Whether on a regular basis or only when they are starving is a point of contention.  My rule, if it has teeth, and is almost as heavy as me, chances are it needs population control.  Obviously we want to preserve the species, but I don't want my kids being cougar food either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Hunting predators to control the population is a good thing.  

Hunting to put meat on the table is a good thing.

Trophy hunting on the other hand is something that I will never condone.

That cat was a beautiful animal, regardless of how or why it was killed.  Cougars are awesome predators and the few times I've been lucky enough to see one are special moments.

Kinda of like being up in your stand in the wee hours of the morning and getting to watch a bobcat wander out into the gray light and take a dustbath, then dissappear back into the brush.

Coming across the carcass of a predator killed for no other reason than to kill it makes me just as angry as coming across the carcass of an elk that has been skinned, caped and left to rot.

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Someday I hope to get a chance to hunt one of these beautiful animals.  

Just imagine how good the head would look above my fireplace and the rest as a rug in front of it!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Those pictures are so fake they hurt my eyes!

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you say that?

I don't see a problem with lighting, it is near mid-day and the sky is overcast.  What I do see is that the aperture is small so that the depth of field is large, but the shutter-speed is slower than normal for bright snow---revealed by the blur of the dog on the right.  Also, since the depth of field is well focused, it is easy to have the people and dogs somewhat behind the cat.  A fairly long lense was used too to shorten the space between the dogs and cat. I think the lense was about 100-150 for a standard 35mm film (digital cameras would use a shorter lense for the same effect like 80-90mm).

As I said earlier, the pic of the cat being carried gives a better interpretation of size.

Dave.

You can tell all that by looking at a picture?  Dude, that's pretty cool.  Are you a professional photographer or something, or just a hobbiest who, like so many here (myself included) has a passion for their hobby of choice?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Those pictures are so fake they hurt my eyes!

is there any way to show the rest of us what you base that on?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#43]
CAT-ZILLA!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Total waste of an awesome animal
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#45]
yes its a dead cat,.......................but it aint that big!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#46]
TRUE STORY FROM SNOPES:  LINK TO STORY

This one was killed in Washington State

190lbs...
EDIT OUT PIC..  Damn you snopes!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#47]
His head would look great above a fireplace! After all,the big cat served no other purpose for living,so why not an ornament on some guys wall ?

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with Dv8 - predators make the country more interesting!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Never would have guessed we have so many COUGAR SHEEPLE on this sight.
Do you feel sorry for the steer when you're choking down a cheeseburger?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top