User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if a Piper Cub or other slow aircraft has ever landed rolling backwards in strong winds.
View Quote

Close.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wonder if a Piper Cub or other slow aircraft has ever landed rolling backwards in strong winds.
View Quote

Only on a treadmill.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Landing at the old airport in Hong Kong was an adventure more often than not. Seeing skyscrapers on either side of you on approach for the first time was thrilling as well. They have since built a floating airport out of town that is pretty boring to fly into compared to the old one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Landing at the old airport in Hong Kong was an adventure more often than not. Seeing skyscrapers on either side of you on approach for the first time was thrilling as well. They have since built a floating airport out of town that is pretty boring to fly into compared to the old one.
View Quote

I always love videos of landings at Kai tak.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

i have flown backwards at a pretty low altitude, but never all the way to the ground.     I bet someone has done done it though.  

Backwards would be unwise in a taildragger, but I would do it in a C-152 given a big enough runway and steady enough wind.      

I have landed nearly vertically.  

One important thing to remember, is that the wind drops off dramatically when you get down below 50 feet or so.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top