Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll also add its just not that hard to win an election and get yourself on an HOA board and straighten their shit out.  Especially if there is a tyrant that everyone hates.  My wife has done it twice.
View Quote

x2

I've posted my own HOA-hate thread in GD that went a couple of pages . . .

Our annual meeting was this past weekend and I am now on the board simply because I was the only one who:

A.) Showed up
B.) Wasn't already on the board
C.) Have been to 2 other annual meetings

I was literally the most high-ranking person not on the board there.

Turns out our problem is the property management company we sub everything out.  The people on the board didn't care about half the stuff in the covenants and were just as pissed off with all the letters.  We had 3 meetings, one was a general annual meeting, one was a board meeting with the property manager, and one was without the property manager to see if we need to fire them
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't see the problem.  I expected an old junker with four flat tires.  
View Quote

The elitists on the HOA probably see it as a junker anyway.

Evil black pickup. "Why does he need that????'
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
HOA are a pain and it seems like they've become the norm in my area.  Around here it seems like any subdivision built from the early 90s on has an HOA, so if you want a newer house and no HOA you are shit out of luck unless you own land somewhere to build it on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Our HOA wasn't bad. The president was my neighbor and he was pretty cool.

Now the HOA in the subdivision next to us was a little crazy. Nearly every damn house had a storage building in the back yard. They passed an amendment that grandfathered all the storage buildings, but no new ones could be built.

Screw HOAs, it's not like that storage building was sitting in the front yard. They were all behind fences in the back yard on the owners property.

As for the original topic. I guess I'd have to build a huge garage in the front yard for my work truck F150 with an 8' bed that won't fit into any standard garage.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The HOA next door to me complains about me all the time, I laugh, next year it will be a BBQ for all my stripper customers.... and cops I know...hahaha...we will call the police! We are the police

View Quote

Best way to make sure your party doesn't get raided/shut down.  

Invite the police.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/lawsuit_pickup_truck_not_welcome_in_fayetteville_development.html#incart_m-rpt-2   The association wants an injunction to stop the couple from parking their pickup in the driveway of their home.

The association cites its regulations
, which limits parking in driveways only to "private, passenger-type, pleasure automobiles," according to the lawsuit. The association owns all the driveways in the development, according to court filings. The Orlandos could park their pickup in their garage, but not in their driveway.

David Orlando also said other people are parking pickups in their driveway. This past week a Syracuse.com/Post-Standard reporter saw a full size pickup with cap, a large van and a sports utility vehicle parked other driveways in Kimry Moor.

Orlandos' lawyers said in court papers that the Orlandos' pickup is a "private, passenger-type, pleasure automobile" and therefore is in compliance with the rules. Orlando and his lawyer, Tom Cerio, said the pickup is registered with the state as a "passenger vehicle" and not as a commercial vehicle. And the Orlandos do not have commercial drivers' licenses.

View Quote

I thought maybe there was more to the story. Nope. Totally absurd.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.  I also own properties under an HOA.  

I'll also add its just not that hard to win an election and get yourself on an HOA board and straighten their shit out.  Especially if there is a tyrant that everyone hates.  My wife has done it twice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would never live in an HOA. Never.

On the other hand, I own a beach house that I rent out and it is in an HOA, and they do a GREAT job of keeping the place looking nice and keeping the riff raff out.

They do have their place.

This.  I also own properties under an HOA.  

Some shit head on my father in law's HOA board tried to pass a rule that said no firearms, paintball, or airsoft were allowed to be kept in the neighborhood.  He led the charge to have that proposal squished, then got himself elected to be the HOA safety guy.  Which apparently only really involves making sure future shit heads don't try pulling a similar stunt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HOAs were the answer to libertine libertarians who thought they could do anything as long as it didn't hurt someone.
View Quote

This statement is so full of WTF I don't even know where to start.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't have anything CoC compliant to say about my HOA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought maybe there was more to the story. Nope. Totally absurd.
View Quote

I would say someone in the Orlando family pissed off someone with a leadership position in the HOA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The HOA in our old neighborhood had this rule also. However almost every other driveway including ours had a pick-up parked in the driveway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

x2

Our annual meeting was this past weekend and I am now on the board simply because I was the only one who:

A.) Showed up

Turns out our problem is the property management company we sub everything out.  The people on the board didn't care about half the stuff in the covenants and were just as pissed off with all the letters.  We had 3 meetings, one was a general annual meeting, one was a board meeting with the property manager, and one was without the property manager to see if we need to fire them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

A.) Showed up

Congratulations on being a person to step up and take some action to protect your interests.  

On one round of my Wife's term on the board she fires all the builder appointed service providers because they charge the HOA massive fees and did sub par or no service.  She bid out the jobs and got all new vendors, all the way up to the property manager.  Service improved greatly after that.  Dont be afraid to make a move on vendors.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is exactly why I keep asking "Why would anyone purchase a home in and HOA?"

You give up all you rights when you sign the agreement. Fuck that shit!!!

EBR666
View Quote

The best part is when they come after you and make you fight them, they use your money to fight you with.  It's a total no-win scenario.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]
A bunch of old nasty looking duplexes from the 80's and they are worried about a new F-150 in the driveway?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have zero sympathy for anyone who signs a Home Owners Association contract.

In fact, I am more likely to feel contempt for anyone who signs a contract, and then tries to back out when the terms of that contract are enforced.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
You won't find me living in an HOA.

I like freedom, and freedom isn't safe. I may have a neighbor who doesn't mow his grass or paints his house neon orange, so be it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FUCK ALL HOAs
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]
My brother is an HOA president. His exact words were, 'I don't want to be the president. I don't give a shit what people do. HOAs are fucking retarded.'
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
my brother lives in one of those communities.no pickups in the driveways or motorcycles.
View Quote

no motorcycles in the driveway, or no motorcycles at all?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Last year there was a guy that lived in a nicer than average  neighborhood in Frisco Texas. He bought his son a pickup. It was 5-6 years old. Very nice truck and not some redneck looking vehicle. The HOA was suing him because you could not park anything that was older than 4 years old in sight of the street. It had to be parked in the garage or unseen from the street. Kind of anal. I was in a HOA previously and hated it every day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am not convinced that he violated the rules.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He signed the HOA rules and bylaws agreement.  His problem.
I am not convinced that he violated the rules.  

I was expecting some sort of work truck or some other heavy duty industrial truck. But sure as shit its just a black 4 door full size. that is not a commercial vehicle and the HOA are being pricks
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Invite the police.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The HOA next door to me complains about me all the time, I laugh, next year it will be a BBQ for all my stripper customers.... and cops I know...hahaha...we will call the police! We are the police

Invite the police.

went to an engagement party once. Most of the city council and our district judge were there. I left around 11 and they were still going strong. I could hear the music from my house, about 1/4 mile away. Next morning I heard the cops came by to shut them down. They paid off the band and took it inside.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Looking at that truck pic again. Whats up with the front bumper? Is that a plow front end? If that guy is using that truck to plow shit and hooked up a plow i could see why the HOA is busting his balls.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my brother lives in one of those communities.no pickups in the driveways or motorcycles.

No pickups in the motorcycles.  I feel that's fairly reasonable, actually.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Before I read the article i was expecting it to be lifted or some offroad build. After seeing the truck I was like wtf. If theres more than one seat and its your private vehicle its a passenger vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems like an El Camino is the answer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Move to a free state neighborhood
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looking at that truck pic again. Whats up with the front bumper? Is that a plow front end? If that guy is using that truck to plow shit and hooked up a plow i could see why the HOA is busting his balls.
View Quote

That doesn't look like a plow mount to me.  Looks more like something sitting on the grough against the garage door in front of the truck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That doesn't look like a plow mount to me.  Looks more like something sitting on the grough against the garage door in front of the truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know. We dont have plows in NC. We just wait for God to melt it away. However if he has something hooked up to the front of it like a plow it would explain why the HOA is busting his balls. Not that HOAs cant be fucking facist, it simply does not make sense for them to go after him for a F150. There is part of the story we are missing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Put a deuce and a half in the driveway, just make sure it still has seats in the bed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Orlandos' lawyers said in court papers that the Orlandos' pickup is a "private, passenger-type, pleasure automobile" and therefore is in compliance with the rules. Orlando and his lawyer, Tom Cerio, said the pickup is registered with the state as a "passenger vehicle" and not as a commercial vehicle. And the Orlandos do not have commercial drivers' licenses.

That would suck in Florida... My Avalanche weighed so much it automatically was classified as a commercial vehicle here even though it was our personal vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would suck in Florida... My Avalanche weighed so much it automatically was classified as a commercial vehicle here even though it was our personal vehicle.

In CA all pickem up trucks are registered as commercial vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think it's a trash can leaning against the garage door. Unless he's pushing a dirt track car I don't what else it could be  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's a trash can leaning against the garage door. Unless he's pushing a dirt track car I don't what else it could be  

What ever it is, it looks like its hanging off the front bumper in that picture. Like i said. There has to be some reason they don't like that specific truck if other neighbors have trucks and vans and don't get sued over it. I would just like to hear the HOAs versions of events vs "HOA BAD, Home owner GOOD!!" line.  

I tend to find that the vast majority of people are reasonable people and have a reason for why they disagree. its listening to every one to find out what the whole story is vs just a home owner bitching to the media about it an the media loving a sensational headline.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
FUCK ALL HOAs
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not many pickups in the burbs around syracuse, at least the more expensive areas  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know. We dont have plows in NC. We just wait for God to melt it away. However if he has something hooked up to the front of it like a plow it would explain why the HOA is busting his balls. Not that HOAs cant be fucking facist, it simply does not make sense for them to go after him for a F150. There is part of the story we are missing.
Not many pickups in the burbs around syracuse, at least the more expensive areas  

Looking at the houses and type of driveways i would not think those are very expensive houses. At least not by NC standards.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In ny it goes by weight. My older tundra was registered as a car, my newer tundra was too heavy and is registered as a commcerial vehicle  

Iam surprised his is registered as a car, I doubt that was less than my tundra, maybe it's a 6 cylinder?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In ny it goes by weight. My older tundra was registered as a car, my newer tundra was too heavy and is registered as a commcerial vehicle  

Iam surprised his is registered as a car, I doubt that was less than my tundra, maybe it's a 6 cylinder?

Same.. Whats fucked up is the tax and registration is higher and i cant renew my registration online like my wifes SUV. I MUST walk into the GD DMV to re-register.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does look like it could be an attachment for a plow. If that's the case, that would probably be the reason he's being called out. Passenger vehicle or not, if he's using it as a commercial vehicle I could see the issue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Reason #87 why not to buy a home in a neiborhood that has an HOA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
HOAs are communism on our shores.....
View Quote

Definitions dude. Not communism. Fascism.

a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation (HOA) above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#43]
My HOA dues are only $120/year.   It pays for MX on the entry way and food for the annual meeting.  We have very basic rules that are unambiguous and even those are loosely enforced at this point in time.  Can always change with new folks moving in, but for now I have no complaints about my HOA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't see the problem.  I expected an old junker with four flat tires.  
http://imgick.syracuse.com/home/syr-media/width620/img/news/photo/2015/01/15/homeowner-truckjpg-ada56f37c12495f2.jpg
View Quote

No ladder racks or logos on the doors. That is no different than a Taurus. It may not even fit In the garage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you renew your tag, tell them. A few years ago, Pasco county wanted to charge me $125.00 for my Chevy 1500 pickup. I told the lady renewing my tag it isn't a commercial vehicle as she knocked $25.00 off the cost of the tag.

Also, the last time an HOA tried to sue someone for the same thing around here, they lost. The HOA had to do a special assessment to cover the $100,000.00 award the defendant got.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#46]
My HOA used to try this crap, a pick-up truck is a "private, passenger-type" vehicle. I am not defending HOA's in any form but they do this to prevent commercial registered work vehicles. (bucket trucks, big rigs etc) But once again a pick-up if registered to the homeowner is a "private, passenger-type" vehicle, the HOA will lose.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I was expecting to see a 350/3500 weight class truck in the driveway with a ladder rack on it, not a personal F150. That neighborhood doesn't even look high priced enough to have an HOA.

Restating it just cause it needs to be said again: Fuck HOA's!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My old El Camino wore commercial plates. My crew cab Nissan Frontier with the ittle bitty 6' bed wears commercial plates.  Silly assed Honda Ridgeline sort of truck like vehicles wear commercial plates.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#49]
you get the HOA you vote for and the rules are enforced by the management company that takes its orders from the HOA board.

If you don't want a nitty gritty in your face HOA be sure to let them know that is what you don't want.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

x2

A.) Showed up

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

A.) Showed up

sounds like you don't run anything.

Ours  meets once a quarter and we direct the management company in howwe want things. and they are bidded out eery contract renewal. They have to earn our buisness.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top