Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would LOVE to get into the hobby. What's a good estimate for the price of the course necessary (if there is one), the test and license fee, and the equipment for an absolute beginner?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Some radio clubs will give a class on ham radio at no cost (I taught class's for years) but when you go to test you will pay a small fee each time you test, the radio club will also do the testing for the FCC.
Goto ARRL.ORG and you can get all the info you need, also do a google search for radio clubs in your area...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got lots more to read up on it looks like ...  Thanks for the quick response.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
And I wanted to add that you can learn a lot about electronics from being involved in amateur radio. A lot of folks build/modify there own rigs, and some folks write there own software for the packet radio stuff.

I am working on my no code tech. I need to restudy the material and take the damn test.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
ffsparky.....Go here and take it over and over again until you can pass it consistantly. If you do that beginning a couple weeks befor a VE session, and do it every evening with passing scores, I guarantee you will pass your test!!

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would LOVE to get into the hobby. What's a good estimate for the price of the course necessary (if there is one), the test and license fee, and the equipment for an absolute beginner?

Usually you can find a course given by your local ham radio club. See my above post concerning passing the Technicians license test.

You can get a used 2 meter radio and an antenna for around a hundred bucks if you look around.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Since I'm on a role here, let me ask another stupid question ...

One of those pictures above had your GPS unit linked to your radio?  What's the purpose of that?  Are you using your radio's antenna to enhance your GPS antennae on your hand-held?

I had a thread dedicated to the subject, but it is buried somewhere in the archives.  I'll see if I can find it later today.

In a nutshell, I am hooking up my GPS to my ham radio, which then broadcasts my position every few minutes.  My exact location can be seen overlayed on a map on several websites.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
You develop skills as a ham.  CW, building antennas that work, emergency power, and understanding radio wave phenomena.  It is not all FM (quiet signals) with easy to understand transmissions.  You develop an "ear" and an ability to copy information by practice under conditions not ideal.  

I remember times when signals were weak and was patient enought to copy code.  Cell phones and internet connect folks with little problems.  Hamming is different.

I learned alot of electrical theory and repair.  I have talked and learned about other people in all parts of the world with simple antennas I built.

GL      
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you have to buy everything new, figure $20 or so for a study book such as "Now You're Talking!" by the ARRL.  Figure $10 for a testing fee, and something like $14 to the FCC for their license fee.

So now you're in the hobby for $44 and you're licensed as a technician and ready to go.

You could reasonably start with a handheld, single-band VHF radio.  Brand new, a decent one from one of the major manufacturers (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, Alinco) is about $120.

So, for less than $200 you can be on the air.  Far less if you get involved with your local amateur radio club, use some of their test study materials or the study materials freely available on the net, and purchase a radio used from a fellow ham.  A lot of guys I know will sell off their old handhelds or mobile radios VERY cheap to new hams as a way to promote the hobby.  I suspect you could potentially get into it for less than $100, less than $50 if you're really lucky.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Since I'm on a role here, let me ask another stupid question ...

One of those pictures above had your GPS unit linked to your radio?  What's the purpose of that?  Are you using your radio's antenna to enhance your GPS antennae on your hand-held?

I had a thread dedicated to the subject, but it is buried somewhere in the archives.  I'll see if I can find it later today.

In a nutshell, I am hooking up my GPS to my ham radio, which then broadcasts my position every few minutes.  My exact location can be seen overlayed on a map on several websites.

Here it is.
APRS thread

For those too lazy to look at my beloved APRS thread, here is a quick look at a real-world APRS beacon:
mobile GPS beaconing with ham radio
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top