Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Love it! Since I'm a left-handed long gun shooter. Trying to get funds to buy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it rated for +p+ ammo?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Figured I would add my own range report to this thread to make it easier during searches.

Targets all at 25 yds indoors.
Reloaded range ammo used.
150 rounds fired, no failures.
Gun configured right handed but fired lefty for all 150 rounds.
Target indicative of accuracy obtained entire session.
Sweet.
Grip ok, a bit thick but acceptable.
Controls fairly easy to reach.
Sights could use much improvement. Red dot would be ideal.
ZERO failures!
Overall nice Carbine at fairly reasonable price. (asthetics not withstanding)
Both groups are TEN shot groups. Head and center mass.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
having a HP carbine i will say it goes bang every time with factory ammo and is relatively accurate. It also will wear out in under 5000rnds and the stock will likely fall apart long before then.

The storm seems to be a well built weapon. The HP is a decent gun for the money but it is exactly what you pay for. a 100.00 gun. The storm is likely built to last.

mike
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it rated for +p+ ammo?

The manual says constant use of +P and +P+ ammo will cause increased wear. DUH!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Man... 124gr +P out of that 16" barrel would have been good for self-defense. But I'm glad Beretta didn't heed to PC-ness of white-gray colored stock.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Steyr - In your picture with the HK, Beretta and the RRA.. what kind of "gun lockers" are in the background? I'd like to know a little more about them.. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Better buy one before it's banned........

It's black!  It's scary looking!   It holds more than 5 rounds at a time!  It's a pistol caliber!   It must be evil....ban it!  Ban it!

Ooops!  Too late.  President Hillary just banned it, and it's retroactive, so you have to turn the one you bought in.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Seriously, how much does it weigh?

I'm thinking this platform would be especially good for lady shooters, especially for home defense.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
SteyrAUG,

you mentioned 30 round mags...where do you get them from? i'd be very interested in acquiring some myself. i picked up my Storm a couple weeks ago. it's sweet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#15]
do you have to buy the top rail extra? or is it integral...couldn't really tell from teh pic
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
do you have to buy the top rail extra? or is it integral...couldn't really tell from teh pic

Top rail is a extra accessory, of course.

figured

it would look absolutely awesome with a good forward grip and aimpoint like in that one pic

*looks at credit card again*......
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Top rail is a extra accessory, of course.

figured

it would look absolutely awesome with a good forward grip and aimpoint like in that one pic

*looks at credit card again*......

Exactly the setup I'm going for.

tactical minds think alike
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I finally got to fondle one yesterday, VERY interesting indeed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:07:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#23]
The only question I have is...

Can you bump fire it?

We had one come into the shop that lasted on the shelf for all of 2 days. I want one!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Man... 124gr +P out of that 16" barrel would have been good for self-defense. But I'm glad Beretta didn't heed to PC-ness of white-gray colored stock.

I saw one of the white-gray finished models this weekend at the Pgh gun show. Couldn't get a price on it though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]
First off, let me agree that it is a cool looking gun and in addition to the looks, it appears that Beretta put some thought into the accessory rails as well.  What you pics didn't show is the top rail for optics.  Prices go up when you start adding all the bling-bling, but I'm thinking a surefire light and an aimpoint or EOtech would make a fine combination.

However, not to hijack the thread and all, but why do these guys keep inventing pistol caliber carbines that usually have a limited magazine capacity?

If you are going to make it a pistol caliber, why not design it from the start to use cheap and available SMG mags.

But, there is another option as well.  Why oh why aren't they chambering for .30 carbine?  Mags are available and inexpensive and it's a lot more powerful than 9mm or .40.  Not too practical if it's going in the grip, but surely that isn't a requirement?

Or, alternatively, for those who have GI carbines and want it modernized, how about a new stock with light rails, etc.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#26]
The Cx4 is great.  i picked up one last week with an uzi pistol.  It shoot great and i have tons of beretta 92 mags around.  Have fun with it.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
First off, let me agree that it is a cool looking gun and in addition to the looks, it appears that Beretta put some thought into the accessory rails as well.  What you pics didn't show is the top rail for optics.  Prices go up when you start adding all the bling-bling, but I'm thinking a surefire light and an aimpoint or EOtech would make a fine combination.

However, not to hijack the thread and all, but why do these guys keep inventing pistol caliber carbines that usually have a limited magazine capacity?

If you are going to make it a pistol caliber, why not design it from the start to use cheap and available SMG mags.

But, there is another option as well.  Why oh why aren't they chambering for .30 carbine?  Mags are available and inexpensive and it's a lot more powerful than 9mm or .40.  Not too practical if it's going in the grip, but surely that isn't a requirement?

Or, alternatively, for those who have GI carbines and want it modernized, how about a new stock with light rails, etc.

The choice of mags is based on a different concept: You own a Beretta 92 or 96, and the matching-caliber carbine... You can then use your pistol and carbine mags interchangably....

And there are 20 and 30rd mags available for Beretta handguns. Not as common as Sten or M2 mags, but still available...

Personally, I don't like the 'up-the-grip' magwell, and would preferr a pistol-caliber AR
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Just bought a CX4 Mon night local no paperwork. $500. Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

[shock]

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn and I thought mine at $575 was a deal. Well I'm happy with it any way. Any sources for reliable 30 rd mags? Don't know what aftermarket mas work well in the Beretta. If you could IM me with some sources.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn and I thought mine at $575 was a deal. Well I'm happy with it any way. Any sources for reliable 30 rd mags? Don't know what aftermarket mas work well in the Beretta. If you could IM me with some sources.
View Quote

Haven't shot it yet, but I have two Asian mil mags that snap into the magwell with a satisfying "snik" (more so than the factory hicaps).

CDNN has Asian mil mags for cheap.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]
It was a private sale. Guy was leaving country for work and decided to sell it. When he comes back he will get a .45 model, he said. I know, I know...
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the Hi-Point carbine has received very good reports for accuracy and also very dependable...I know the Hi-Point pistols are POS, but, this little carbine will fool you...
Hell, you can buy a Wilson 45ACP carbine conversion kit for a 1911 for $345 that makes the Cx4 look like a piece of crap anyway....
View Quote

LMFAO. Wilson 1911 carbine conversion?!?

Dude do ya own a nifty Lorcin too? [:D]

Do have have a Jennings that is really a peach?

Let's do a little experiment.

1. Have you shot or even held a Cx4 Storm?

Answer: No

I'm not really psychic but 1. They just came out and 2. You can't afford one so I know the answer.

Based upon that, how the hell are you qualified to declare them a "piece of crap" especially as compared to one of the "gooberist" guns known to mankind.

And just so you know, the Hi Point CARBINE, as well as their handguns, are complete junk.

But don't worry I hear Raven has plans to make a carbine conversion for their handgun line and it is suppossed to be "really awesome" and "super cool."

Start saving your lunch money I hear it might cost $100. [:D]

Thanks for the laughs dude, I can sleep now. [;)]

View Quote

All due respect, Steyr, but I greatly dislike your facetious, condescending attitudes towards others here.  Granted, I'm sure the Cx4 is a decent firearm, and you've already stated its shortcomings in your range report...

I have been able to fire a HiPoint Carbine at a local indoor shooting range as well.  The carbine was reasonably accurate at the 50 yard indoor range.  It did have a cheap "feel" to it, but it functioned just fine for me as well.

Your assumption that Jem375 couldn't afford one is a very ignorant statement (not to mention incorrect), as you have no idea who this person is, or his financial status.  Or does AR15.com provide you with free credit reports on every user on the website?

I respect and like you and most of your posts, SteyrAUG, but sometimes I find your condescendence to be very obtuse and getting rather old.

I personally wouldn't own a Hi Point Carbine, but I wouldn't discount them as a low-cost possibility.

Perhaps the point jem was getting at is that you could get a decent pistol caliber carbine for less than $650 and still get reliability, and accuracy out of it.  I wouldn't have made the comparison between the Cx4 and the HiPoint, as there's not contest as to which is the "better quality", but you can still get a very functional firearm with reasonable accuracy for MUCH LESS than $650.  In fact you could build a 9mm AR15A2 Carbine from parts for less than $650!!!

Personally, I don't know anything about the Cx4, and I could really care less about it.  Your statement of 'And isn't that what is most important, that it looks "tactical?"' isn't exactly true...  I would be willing to bet something functional, accurate, and reliable to be more important than a "Tactical" looking gun.

A good example of this concept is a comparison of one of Toad's Tactical Craptical MP5 clone guns in comparison to a decent 9mm Ruger Carbine.  Which is most likely going to be a better firearm?  The Ruger.  It's certainly not "Tactical", but at least it functions properly.

Don't take this post the wrong way, but I've often seen you rip on members with no knowledge of those individuals as if they were merely "trolls" on the site.

jem375 is a very nice man, a friend of mine, and has been an experienced shooter since long before you were a reflexive twitch in your father's groin...

BTW, "Thanks for the laughs dude, I can sleep now."  Yes, thanks for the laughs SteyrAUG!  [;D]  I liked the Raven, Jennings, and Lorcin comments!!!  They were entertaining...  [:D]

Flame away if you feel the need to do so, but I mean no hostility in my post.  A mere observation.  Sorry if you're offended by comments from a far less-experienced, but respectful shooter.  I'm the one who can't afford a Cx4!  Guess what?  I OWN A BERSA 380 TOO!!!  [BD]  You can make all the "budget shooter" jokes you want about me because I openly state I'm financially unstable and in college.  I don't really care about what anybody thinks or says about me as it really only reflects negatively upon whoever is belittling others.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Pistol Caliber carbine are a dinosaur AFTER the big rock has hit.

Their time has passed they just dont know it yet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#39]
FWIW, the CX4 is great! I'm so glad I have one. It is a pleasure to shoulder and reversing the controls is a snap. Sights are good, too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I picked up a CX4 on Saturday and shot 75 rds through it last night.  I shot some Win 115gr, S&B 115gr, IMI 147 subsonic, and IMI 115 die-cut.  All cycled the gun fine.  No problems.  I didn't notice any muzzle flash (I was shooting close to dusk).  The trigger is heavy, but I didn't have great expectations from a bullpup trigger so I have no complaints.

Compared to an Uzi and HK94 I fired before, I think the CX4 is great--it's as fun as they are.  The CX4 handles better than both of those, but to be fair the Uzi had a folding stock and the HK had the retractable, so they're sacrificing a good cheek weld for the compactness.

I'm looking forward to the availability of the top rail, my eyes aren't great so I found the sights kinda lousy.  A compact ACOG would be great on this gun [:)]!

The CX4 would be a true gem if someone figures out a way to make a 10mm conversion for it!  400 Corbon or 357SIG would be great as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#41]
A .357Sig/10mm CX4 would be a must-have for me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey Amigo...  Sarcasm isn't a lost art...  not yet anyway!  [;D]

It's just that I get on this website, and that's about all I see 24-7.  It gets tiring, I'm in college, and all the idiots on campus seem to dish it out as well.  Not many people in college (or in life for that matter) can actually carry on a logical or intelligent conversation, and it has become ever so sickening to me.

jem375, and many others I know and have met from AR15.com do have some SERIOUSLY NICE WEAPONS, but they do not like having information about their weapons posted on the internet for just anybody to see/read (as their personal preference, as such I wasn't sure of jem's opinions on that as well).  Personally, I don't care about who knows what about my guns...  They're all legal, they're all mine, and I love them and could care less about what someone thinks of my firearms.

I have an [GASP] [red]OLYMPIC ARMS[/red] [shock] kit-built PCR with 20" Stainless HBAR 1:9" twist, flat-top upper, 6-24x42mmAO MilDot TargetTurret scope in Armalite Mount, Tac Sling, Harris LS bipod.

Yes, you can build a parts-made 9mm AR A2 (using sten mags) carbine for under $650.  But why do you think it's not possible to build a GOOD one for that price?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pistol Caliber carbine are a dinosaur AFTER the big rock has hit.

Their time has passed they just dont know it yet.
View Quote

On what basis? Military application?

For home defense I think a pistol caliber carbine is great. Far more accurate than a handgun and won't tear shit up like a shotgun.

For urban in general they are very practical given the short ranges. The negligible recoil makes rapid engagement of multiple targets much easier as well.

View Quote

A 5.56x45 is better than pistol calibers for every application you mentioned.

Better for home defense.  Less overpentration hazard than a pistol caliber, especially one out of a carbine length barrel.

Better ranges than a pistol cartridge in an 'urban' setting.

And none of this has squat to do with 'military applications'.

The only place were pistol calibers might excede the 5.56 is in suppressed guns, where noise is the primary concern.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Maybe I am just old-fashioned, but that is the butt-ugliest gun I ever saw!

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm sure it's a well-made little carbine, and all that, but it just looks to me like whoever designed it had seen "Planet of the Apes" a few too many times.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top