Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Try working the other side of the counter for 10 years

the sniper/delta/toothfairy stories get real old real fast

everything you guys have posted I have heard from the other side of the counter

*short version*
Best one I can remember was some  old guy relating a tale to me about when he was doing CIA stuff in south America he was wounded and floated down a river for a few days till a lost tribe found him
they made him their god

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When i was at the local sporting goods/outdoor place in tallahassee, this guy who is supposedly ex .mil works there and i over heard him talking and crap and some how we got on the subject of AR's and he goes to talking about how you can "file downt he trigger spring" and it will be fully automatic, then he proceeds to tell me, if you want three round burst just tie the hammer back with a cable slightly and file down the firing pin and she'll fire burst's. Then he starts talking about how the barrel is threaded for a flash hider and it would take a "silencer" if you could find one, and i said i could find one easily, then he goes "no you cant they are illegal no civilians can own stuff like that". Then i ask him about his .mil career out of pure curiosity just for the hell of it and he said these exact words "well when i got out of prison i went straight to the special forces"

I felt 5000 times dumber when i left that store. Funny none the less.

How could he sell guns if he's an ex-con?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I went into a local gun store about a month ago.  Two guys walked in (one was drinking a bottle of beer).  They didn't know nothing about guns, but wanted to look at the G3 clones, because it was like the rifle they use when they play "Call Of Duty 4".  They were posing and taking pictures of each other.   Some people should never be allowed to buy a gun
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Somewhere there's probably a gun shop owner forum with a thread titled "Crazy ass lies I told today".
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try working the other side of the counter for 10 years

the sniper/delta/toothfairy stories get real old real fast

everything you guys have posted I have heard from the other side of the counter

*short version*
Best one I can remember was some  old guy relating a tale to me about when he was doing CIA stuff in south America he was wounded and floated down a river for a few days till a lost tribe found him
they made him their god

Man you aren't kidding. For every one dipstick gunshop employee, there are 10 customers as bad or worse coming in daily. Some hang out and loiter most of the day.

the ones at the store here will give you a dirty look if you try to look in the display case they're leaning on.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]
In a very hushed tone-"This one guys Taurus 1911 that we sold him went auto on him."

My face after hearing that I left very shortly afterward.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was told by a local gun store that if I were to buy a handgun in a caliber under .38/357, and used it in home defense, I could be charged with a crime.

I thought that in Texas the caliber had to start with a 4 to be legal.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
i cant take the lies anymore.  i used to just smile and shake my head, but now they actually make me angry.  you wouldnt believe how many people like this are active duty military.  tall tales and complete lies are abundant in the army.  I know a tanker that crash landed a kiowa in combat, another guy thats been hit with 37 IEDs in his last unit (its always in their last unit....), and another that has been an E5 for 12 years because he rescued a soldier from a bradley submerged in water after he was told not to.  yeah, im sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you havent passed a PT test in 5 years....

I had a guy tell me today that he has a full auto .380 pistol thats legal because he bought it before the assault weapons ban......  he wants me to tell him how to field strip it.  i asked him how he doesnt know how to take it apart if he bought it 15 years ago?  now thats just irresponsible.  

i enjoy hearing a lot of the nonsense coming from some of the know-it-all-but-never-been-there people on this site too. it makes it much easier to understand how this shit can happen.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Local gun store under new management would not do an FFL transfer for me and was not interested in helping me order an upper...  it makes me wonder what they DO do to stay in business.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Me:  Hello, do you have magazines behind the counter?

Clerk:  No, what we have is over there(points).

Me:  I don't see them(only thing there is a manufacturer brochure display rack).

Clerk:  (Annoyed)Right there.

Me:  (realizing he means the brochures)Magazines for pistols.

Clerk;  (sniffs)Oh, you mean clips.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't engage in conversation with FFL dealers. I go in get what I need keep my mouth shut and leave. Its better that way.

My trip to the shop here usually goes:

1.  think "well, I haven't been there for a long time, I'll just go see what they have".
2.  get ignored by staff, get dirty looks from the 5 guys always standing around drinking coffee and leaning on the display cases talking about something funny from deer camp from 1979.
3.  not see what I want, or see what I want at a price about 50% higher than what I could go home and order online (last thing was 100 rounds of Greek M2 ammo for $99, ordered 240 rounds of identical ammo from CMP for $75/shipped).
4.  get more dirty looks upon leaving, presumably for not buying anything.
5.  get annoyed that I wasted my time and should have known better.

What part of Illinois are you from?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't engage in conversation with FFL dealers. I go in get what I need keep my mouth shut and leave. Its better that way.

1.  think "well, I haven't been there for a long time, I'll just go see what they have".
2.  get ignored by staff, get dirty looks from the 5 guys always standing around drinking coffee and leaning on the display cases talking about something funny from deer camp from 1979.
3.  not see what I want, or see what I want at a price about 50% higher than what I could go home and order online (last thing was 100 rounds of Greek M2 ammo for $99, ordered 240 rounds of identical ammo from CMP for $75/shipped).

I am also curious.  Your description of this shop sounds very familiar.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was at the local gun store here in Baltimore, MD. I stopped in to get some ammo and asked the guy behind the counter if he had anything in Lake City. Well, he sais "Lake city has shut down years ago, they sold out to the Chineese and now all military SS109 is made in china"

Long pause...............

I said, well, I have some at home with an 06 stamp on it.
Anyway, I know we bought some bullets from them, but what the hell is this guy talking about?

Everytime I walk in there its another storry,
Last time it was the"better buy all the ammo you can cuz O'Malley is gonna help pass a $5 a round ammo tax" (well I explained that it was a 5 cent tax they were propossing, he insisted, so I went home and printed it out for him, he didnt want to look at it)
Where do these guys come from?
Thats what I wanna know.

You should be going to Gun Connection.  Also, check out www.mdshooters.com

I've bout a few guns from there in past months, but they too, are not immune from bullshit.

Interesting, I haven't had problems.  Care to share?

Well, first off...the owner calls this site "Barfcom".

Nothing too egregious, but customers and the guys behind the counter can shovel it deep. Had an argument with the owner who said that my Fla permit was only valid in Florida. I got him to come around, but he was recalcitrant about VA not having reciprocity. I try not to engage people at gun stores in conversation.

Small shit like that, I'll keep giving him money, though.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was at the local gun store here in Baltimore, MD. I stopped in to get some ammo and asked the guy behind the counter if he had anything in Lake City. Well, he sais "Lake city has shut down years ago, they sold out to the Chineese and now all military SS109 is made in china"

Anyway, I know we bought some bullets from them, but what the hell is this guy talking about?

Last time it was the"better buy all the ammo you can cuz O'Malley is gonna help pass a $5 a round ammo tax" (well I explained that it was a 5 cent tax they were propossing, he insisted, so I went home and printed it out for him, he didnt want to look at it)
Thats what I wanna know.

I've bout a few guns from there in past months, but they too, are not immune from bullshit.

Nothing too egregious, but customers and the guys behind the counter can shovel it deep. Had an argument with the owner who said that my Fla permit was only valid in Florida. I got him to come around, but he was recalcitrant about VA not having reciprocity. I try not to engage people at gun stores in conversation.

What do you mean by this?

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When i was at the local sporting goods/outdoor place in tallahassee, this guy who is supposedly ex .mil works there and i over heard him talking and crap and some how we got on the subject of AR's and he goes to talking about how you can "file downt he trigger spring" and it will be fully automatic, then he proceeds to tell me, if you want three round burst just tie the hammer back with a cable slightly and file down the firing pin and she'll fire burst's. Then he starts talking about how the barrel is threaded for a flash hider and it would take a "silencer" if you could find one, and i said i could find one easily, then he goes "no you cant they are illegal no civilians can own stuff like that". Then i ask him about his .mil career out of pure curiosity just for the hell of it and he said these exact words "well when i got out of prison i went straight to the special forces"

Exactly, and he's one of the main people behind the gun counter at this place, i guess i forgot to add he claimed to be a "special forces sniper"....the stories this guy has told in front of me has made some of my brain cells commit suicide.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thats what I wanna know.

LOL - i live like 10 mile from the place. They are not closed. They just had some employees steel some copper and lead to re-sell as scrap.

Man - I wonder if they give tours - I would like to go see how its all made.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, and he's one of the main people behind the gun counter at this place, i guess i forgot to add he claimed to be a "special forces sniper"....the stories this guy has told in front of me has made some of my brain cells commit suicide.

I would sooooo like to talk to that guy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Live near tallahassee?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Live near tallahassee?

No, I'll just have to dream about it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I wanna know.

www.vcdl.org/images/virginia_recip_map.gif

Yeah, that map shows that Florida recognizes resident VA, permits only.

Now this map

shows that VA recognizes Non-resident Florida permits. That's what we were arguing about.

You got it backwards.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I wanna know.

Now this map

www.handgunlaw.us/maps/florida_map.gif

shows that VA recognizes Non-resident Florida permits. That's what we were arguing about.

You got it backwards.

I got the map from the VCDL, but on further checking, they have a letter filed from the VSP stating there is full reciprocity with Florida.
Go figure. That's why I asked.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I met a dealer at a show who sold AK's that could print 1/4" groups at 200 yards and another guy who had a CZ 452 taht would print 1 1/2" groups at 1500 yards...

I apparently only meet the accuracy guys in my travels.  I did work with a guy who could build nuclear weapons with drano and steel wool though...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Store I use to frequent is also a Dillon retailer. Actually kind of nice since IF they had something is was the same price as Dillon. They have a 550 with a case loader set up as a display. I was in there fairly regularly as they were my normal go to guys for powder and bullets. They sell bullet by the pound and have a scale and bags for them right on the counter. I could go in weigh out a bag of bullets, grab what powder I needed and be out of there in a matter of minutes.

I'm bagging up some bullets and there is a guy looking at the 550. He asks me what it is. I tell him. Asks me how it works and I tell him. Now mind you there are no dies or powder assembly on this press. He looks at again and tells me he can't see how it makes bullets. I tell him again its used to assembly complete cartridges and mention the missing dies and powder assembly. I hold up a bullet and say this is a bullet and how they are made through an entirely different process. He tells me no its not. I ask him what he thinks a bullet is. He tells me its the "thing" you put in a gun. Then tells me I'm a dumb ass and probably shouldn't be in gun store. Walks away mumbling about how some people shouldn't be allowed to own guns.  

Since then I try really hard not to talk to other customers or even look at them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I went into a local gun store about a month ago.  Two guys walked in (one was drinking a bottle of beer).  They didn't know nothing about guns, but wanted to look at the G3 clones, because it was like the rifle they use when they play "Call Of Duty 4".  They were posing and taking pictures of each other.   Some people should never be allowed to buy a gun

This is why my favorite shop has "DO NOT TOUCH THE FIREARMS" signs all over the place.

The directive doesn't apply to me or other regulars.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#25]
The Year 1999

Dealer: Check out this new rifle it's the sl-8 by HK!

Me: Uh! Cool. Maybe..

Dealer: Yeah, the G-36 conversion kit will be out in 2 months or so.

Me: Cool, can I see the M1A scout please...

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#26]
How about stories from the other side of the counter; I worked as a salesman at a store in Southern California for two years.  Here are some highlights from some winning customers:

*Latino gangbanger walks in, see's my holstered Glock 22 and says, "Hey, let me see that."

I respond that he can't see mine but he can see one in the counter and responds with a "pfitt" like I insulted him.

*I introduce a lady into shooting and we get to talking and I discover that God talks to her [and so does the devil by the way], she offers me a thousand dollars to kill her because of the on going battle for her soul.

*Another young Latino asks me, "Do you sell under the table?"

*At another store I overhead a customer ask,"So what's the best rifle if I want to snipe someone?"

So therefore ARFcom, not all firearms customers are as saavy as the members here who know the differene between 4150 and 4140 steel and know that some makers don't parkerize under the FSB.

Page 4 is mine!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#27]
One of our local gun stores here has a gunsmith who insists that Wolf .223 ammo is consistantly loaded too hot.    He seriously believes that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How about stories from the other side of the counter; I worked as a salesman at a store in Southern California for two years.  Here are some highlights from some winning customers:

*Latino gangbanger walks in, see's my holstered Glock 22 and says, "Hey, let me see that."

I respond that he can't see mine but he can see one in the counter and responds with a "pfitt" like I insulted him.

*I introduce a lady into shooting and we get to talking and I discover that God talks to her [and so does the devil by the way], she offers me a thousand dollars to kill her because of the on going battle for her soul.

*Another young Latino asks me, "Do you sell under the table?"

*At another store I overhead a customer ask,"So what's the best rifle if I want to snipe someone?"

So therefore ARFcom, not all firearms customers are as saavy as the members here who know the differene between 4150 and 4140 steel and are know that some makers don't parkerize under the FSB.

Where are you? Milpitas, Ca. I've seen folks in there that should have been ordered out at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Where are you? Milpitas, Ca. I've seen folks in there that should have been ordered out at gunpoint.

No this was a store east of LA, CA
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Local gun store under new management would not do an FFL transfer for me and was not interested in helping me order an upper...  it makes me wonder what they DO do to stay in business.

More often now local gunstore management won't do transfers around here.  People looking for good deals are getting better at using the internet and some gun shops are trying to shut down the competition.  Those that still do transfers are constantly raising their fees.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I was in a very well respected shop here in Northern Virginia and asked if they stocked Wolf in .223 and was told that they dont reccomend Wolf as they have to repair half a dozen or more broken AR’s a week because of Wolf ammo. I was like and the guy in the shop was like
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I was in a very well respected shop here in Northern Virginia and asked if they stocked Wolf in .223 and was told that they dont reccomend Wolf as they have to repair half a dozen or more broken AR’s a week because of Wolf ammo. I was like and the guy in the shop was like

Hmmm....
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I was in a very well respected shop here in Northern Virginia and asked if they stocked Wolf in .223 and was told that they dont reccomend Wolf as they have to repair half a dozen or more broken AR’s a week because of Wolf ammo. I was like and the guy in the shop was like [/quote

Not necessarly wrong
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was in a very well respected shop here in Northern Virginia and asked if they stocked Wolf in .223 and was told that they dont reccomend Wolf as they have to repair half a dozen or more broken AR’s a week because of Wolf ammo. I was like and the guy in the shop was like [/quote

Not necessarly wrong

I guess it's possible they repair half a dozen broken AR's a week from wolf related damage, but i'm still a little bit
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I was in a store and a young guy came in and said his handgun that he bought wouldn't work.  The employee atarts asking him the usual questions.  Guess the gun wouldn't feed.  Employee asks him about the magazine and the guy pulls it out of his pocket.  He brought it with him.  HOWEVER, he had loaded the bullets in BACKWARDS!!!!!!!

You should have seen the face on the employee as he started stripping out the bullets and then load them the correct way!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I was in a store and a young guy came in and said his handgun that he bought wouldn't work.  The employee atarts asking him the usual questions.  Guess the gun wouldn't feed.  Employee asks him about the magazine and the guy pulls it out of his pocket.  He brought it with him.  HOWEVER, he had loaded the bullets in BACKWARDS!!!!!!!

You should have seen the face on the employee as he started stripping out the bullets and then load them the correct way!

was it an HK?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I had a gun shop owner chew me out one time in conversation because I mentioned shooting Wolf in one of my ARs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am also curious.  Your description of this shop sounds very familiar.

I'm in Moline (Quad Cities).
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#39]
These stories are great +1.

Keep em coming!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
These stories are great +1.

Keep em coming!

+1
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I wanna know.

Now this map

www.handgunlaw.us/maps/florida_map.gif

You got it backwards.

I got the map from the VCDL, but on further checking, they have a letter filed from the VSP stating there is full reciprocity with Florida.
Go figure. That's why I asked.

Yeah, but you showed the map of who recognized the VA permit. I have a Florida. Not a problem, though. I had to do a triple take myself to understand it!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
How about stories from the other side of the counter;

when I worked at ArmaLite, some guy on the phone told me that when he was in the CIA, he parachuted into Vietnam with an AR-50 (first produced in 2000) and killed 2 Viet Cong Generals with 1 shot.  probably just one of you guys calling in and fucking with me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

when I worked at ArmaLite, some guy on the phone told me that when he was in the CIA, he parachuted into Vietnam with an AR-50 (first produced in 2000) and killed 2 Viet Cong Generals with 1 shot.  probably just one of you guys calling in and fucking with me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Must be an HK

ETA, damn, beat to the punch
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I mean really, what do you say to that?  "Oh, really?  Wow."
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#46]
These posts are great.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Somewhere there's probably a gun shop owner forum with a thread titled "Crazy ass lies I told today".

That would be funny as hell.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#48]
From my limited time working the gun store counter.....

20 something wannabe gangsta points at a Glock 21, and asks "ain't that illegal? You can't sell those!" I assure him that they are perfectly leagal. "Yeah but they are 45s and the cops were using them, causing to much damage, so they won't let cops have'em" Yeah that just made my brain hurt.

Older man at a gunshow had a SW .38 special which he had "reamed" out the cylinder so it would chamber .357   (I quickly passed on that trade)

Or the guy that comes in with his "mint condition" Remington 870 wanting to sale it. He got offended at the price I offered ($150), and I had to explain to him most mint guns don't have spots of rust and dried mud caked in the screw heads.....

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Wingnut working one of the tables at a gunshow had a CIA HK91/G3 clone with a scope and bipod, and a couple of mags that he was asking $3500 firm for. The scope was a some cheapo unit that the guy 3 tables down was selling for $50 and the gun looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 100,000 rounds....but this guy insisted that that it was worth every penny because he used the same exact set-up in Nam, and he used to kill VC snipers through their scopes at 1000 yards....STANDING.

The only comment I could muster up was " I hope you actully CLEANED your gun in Nam."

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I was told that you can't shoot .223 wolf in an American made AR. .223 wolf is only made for russian guns because russian .223 and American .223 are different.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top