Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The more scared you are and the more sure you are the dog can take you, the more likely he'll take you.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Next time your at the gym have someone throw a bar with a couple 35's on it at you....see if you are strong enough to catch it mid air...if not...you are not strong enough to remain standing with a dog of similar weight jumping on you...

That is a false comparison, live weight and dead weight react differently.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I get it.
This thread should be titled:

"Hey Everyone! I'm not afraid of dogs, like you pussies! I just wanted you all to know this about ME."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wow, you're right. That makes this even more stupid than I first thought.

Then don't let the door hit you on the way out of the thread. Your vote is already evident.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Dogs just don't scare me though I don't worry about being attacked
1)I like dogs and they like me
2)I always carry doggie treats with me incase of a surpice encounter
3)I always carry my Sig 229 if the enounter goes really bad.

If a pitbull came after me and I didn't have a gun, yes I would be scared.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I get it.
This thread should be titled:

"Hey Everyone! I'm not afraid of dogs, like you pussies! I just wanted you all to know this about ME."

Feel free to exit as well. I just gave back what was given.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Next time your at the gym have someone throw a bar with a couple 35's on it at you....see if you are strong enough to catch it mid air...if not...you are not strong enough to remain standing with a dog of similar weight jumping on you...

That is a false comparison, live weight and dead weight react differently.

Yes, they are different, but still a valid comparison.  If a 100 pound dog gets a clean shot at you, you will most likely be on the ground.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The more scared you are and the more sure you are the dog can take you, the more likely he'll take you.

This is very true, which also seems to be why so many guys that are scared of dogs get negative responses from the animals when they encounter them. Circular like that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't believe all the pussies on this site.

I'll fight 5 dogs of any breed or any combination of breeds all at the same time and put them all in a coma!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone who said no is a fool

+1

BOERBOEL 145-200 Pounds
img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/nakanakanunu/abboer_work1.jpg

That thing looks like a friggin' lion
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#11]

To boot, did I ever say anything about not fighting back and just letting a dog "Chew on me"? No. I didn't even breech the subject....BTW...no I would not be a "Vagina" as you so elloquently wrote...I would have shot the dog by the time it reached me.

OK, Rambo. You must always carry then. Ever try to play schoolyard football while carrying? Walking your kids to the bus stop?

For christs sake, I'm not saying to walk around with a fucking pork chop on your leg to start shit.

Armed or not- If you arent willing to do whatever it takes to at least try to stop a lower-order mammal from attacking you, you are a vagina.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'll fight any 5 dogs of any breed or any combination of breeds all at the same time and put them all in a coma!

More than one dog makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you can stop any creature by crushing its windpipe....it's just a question of how injured you get in the process.

+1 . no grown man should fear a dog, no matter the size, because you WILL win if have the determination. the only thing you should fear are the bills to get all your scars and broken bones fixed .

edited to add: once while hiking in the woods around bonneau (monks corner, SC area just outside the francis marion national forest very close to the dike for marion[or is it moultrie?]) a black lab charged me and i had to give it a VERY hard kick ( it landed about 5 yards away on its side) before it stoped and took off. i wouldnt be susprised if i didnt break a bone.

when i was a young kid between 5-10 i once had a rot chase me up a tree in the woods behind my house. i was there for like 30 minutes before it took off.

Silly bravado...

Ain't no amount of determination will protect you if a dog gets to your throat. If a large breed dog determined to attack gets it contact range and all you have are your hands and feet the good luck cause you are going to need it. You might beat the dog off before it does serious harm then again it might mame or kill you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If a pit gets a hold of your leg (or your balls), even gouging the eyes won't stop it, if it's determined.
Punching it in the head will make it clamp down harder.

Of course once you feel the 1400 lbs PSI crunching down, you will probably be in shock.
Any plan you had will be gone.

Stick a finger up its asshole and it will let go.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a difference between being a whimpy ass pussy and being scared shitless of all dogs and having the common sense of being fearfull of a large, powerfull, aggressive dog.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll fight any 5 dogs of any breed or any combination of breeds all at the same time and put them all in a coma!

I'd love to see video of you fighting in the octagon, any dog that was dead set on hurting you.

That'd be hillarious!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#17]
While I was stationed at a remote nuke base in Europe, I spent some of my spare time helping a couple of friends of mine train their military attack dogs (I was the well padded training aid).  These weren't drug sniffing canines, these were the dogs they let loose inside the nuke storage area as guard dogs.  These dogs were trained to KILL.

My answer is YES I am scared of some breeds of dogs, because I have experienced the power that they have first hand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Not fearing one on one, unarmed combat with an able dog is like not fearing one on one, unarmed combat with a Tiger.
It's ignorant.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I said no in the poll , but after seeing some of these dogs.

I have to say I was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If a pit gets a hold of your leg (or your balls), even gouging the eyes won't stop it, if it's determined.

Of course once you feel the 1400 lbs PSI crunching down, you will probably be in shock.

One of the old tricks your High School Wrestling coach taught you, huh?
Weren't you supposed to keep that one secret?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I found out that a surefire to the eyes can stop a dog attach quickly.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd love to see video of you fighting in the octagon, any dog that was dead set on hurting you.

That'd be hillarious! jobrelatedstuff.com/images/smilies/anim_rofl.gif

yeah me too. i vote that he gets to fight a Boerboel in 170+ weight
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That'd be hillarious! jobrelatedstuff.com/images/smilies/anim_rofl.gif

I've got the cage, bring your wife on over.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Certainly not afraid of any dog.

The problem I have is that I'm wearing a pink frilly skirt when it comes to certain animals. Where a dog is concerned, it could be someone's lifelong best friend and I don't want to kill it. I also just really like dogs, and the way I see it, hurting a dog is much like beating a wife or child. I don't like animal abuse or cruelty, it's high on my list of severe offenses.

If I was attacked by a human and had fear for my life, I would'nt think twice about trying to end that threat by whatever means necessary.

If I was attacked by a dog, I really would'nt want to hurt it. It's an animal doing what they do, I'm the stupid human who got in his way. Its like people who get attacked by bears, what did you expect would happen?

Pretty fucked up view eh?
I figure the human has enough sense to leave me the hell alone. We humans live by laws, and civilized people don't attack each other. Animals on the other hand, different story. I'd blame the human but not the animal.

I've got no problem killing an animal to make use of a gift from God. It's good meat, good fur,  leather, etc...  I'm not comfortable with it to the point I'd feel no guilt, but I'm also at the top of the food chain and I like my steak... the latter takes care of the former.  Dogs are like family members for most of us, offers no food value, and as such, I don't want that guilt.

I'd try to outrun it, otherwise subdue it. I could very well get mauled and maimed by a dog. Afraid no, just not really willing to put one down. If life handed me no choice, I'd do what I had to do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the old tricks your High School Wrestling coach taught you, huh?

That is funny.  No, it wasn't a wrestling coach but a veternarian who worked on police dogs.  She learned this only after having one dog nearly rip one of her breasts off.  Yes, she had reconstructive surgery, no, I never saw the work
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

To boot, did I ever say anything about not fighting back and just letting a dog "Chew on me"? No. I didn't even breech the subject....BTW...no I would not be a "Vagina" as you so elloquently wrote...I would have shot the dog by the time it reached me.

OK, Rambo. You must always carry then. Ever try to play schoolyard football while carrying? Walking your kids to the bus stop?

For christs sake, I'm not saying to walk around with a fucking pork chop on your leg to start shit.

Armed or not- If you arent willing to do whatever it takes to at least try to stop a lower-order mammal from attacking you, you are a vagina.  

Ok Moron, how fucking hard is it???...Let me do this slowly....

I     never      said      not     to    do     everything,     including         but          not          limited         to:    hitting,    kicking,    gouging,     pulling,       punching,     ect.,        to        try      to         stop       the       attack.       I     would     prefer     to     stop     a     dog     attack    before     it     gets    to    that    point    so,     if      I     am    able     prior     to    getting    bit    I     would    shoot    the    dog......Was that slow enough????

Hell you argue like a fucking liberal putting words in peoples mouths...

Yes, I do carry most everywhere...I unholster when I walk my kid into her school...and holster  up when I get back in the car...I never claimed to be Rambo...I just like to be able to ensure my safety and that of my families.....

If that makes me Rambo.....uhhh...ummmmm.......thanks I guess???

Some of us are not badass enough to do that and take on GSD's with our bare hands.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#28]
a 75 pound dog could tear a 200 pound man to shreds if it wanted to and a 35-40 pound dog to cause serious injuries. Dogs can jump higher, bite harder, scratch deeper and run faster than you can and they can be very good at wiggling out of your grip.

Anyone who isn't afread of an angry dog needs to have their head examined.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Only dog that I ever met that scared me was a Presa Canaria.  South American dog bred for fighting.  It had a Charles Manson look in it's eyes and a growl that made the hair on my neck stand up. Probably in the 150 lb range and all fight.  I was told that they're so good at fighting because they get more aggresive if you inflict pain on them.  When provoked they have been known to disembowel people.

Nice doggy!

FB
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Not scared at all - no dog can take a full power shot from me!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/r/jrh295/pittbull.jpg

Not fearing one on one, unarmed combat with an able dog is like not fearing one on one, unarmed combat with a Tiger.
It's ignorant.

Give me a break. Pitbull = Tiger?

Some of you have flown right by healthy fear and straight into irrational fear.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I think Steven Seagall has a video out on how to fight dogs.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't wanna do it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#34]
It depends, generally no.  There have been some dogs here in town that are known to attack people.  I got bit by a little lap dog a few years ago, hurt like hell in the calf muscle.  Luckly the dogs owner go to it before I did.  We had another incident of a dead drug dealers family fighting.  He had a Pit Bull that attacked one of my officers, got a hold of his upper thigh and would not let go.  The officer ended up putting nine shots into it before it would release (9mm +P+, now we carry .40S&W).  Yes the dog was killed, yes the family tried to sue us, and they even went so far as to contact the FBI on a civil rights violation for the dog, and were laughed at.  So, to answer your original question, generally not, but there are those dogs out there that do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Only dog that I ever met that scared me was a Presa Canaria.  South American dog bred for fighting.  It had a Charles Manson look in it's eyes and a growl that made the hair on my neck stand up. Probably in the 150 lb range and all fight.  I was told that they're so good at fighting because they get more aggresive if you inflict pain on them.  When provoked they have been known to disembowel people.

Nice doggy!

FB

Yup, ask the lady who basically got eaten by a Presa Canaria in so. Cal about 2-3 years ago if she is afraid of them.........Oh yeah.....you can't.....she's dead.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
a 75 pound dog could tear a 200 pound man to shreds if it wanted to and a 35-40 pound dog to cause serious injuries. Dogs can jump higher, bite harder, scratch deeper and run faster than you can and they can be very good at wiggling out of your grip.

I think that sums it up perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's ignorant.

+1.  My money is on the tiger in a pitbull verus tiger fight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#38]
If my golden retriever could kick my neighbors ass then I would venture a wager that a German Shepard or a mastif could take just about any man.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I think Steven Seagall has a video out on how to fight dogs.  

I have that video. It's fucking awsome man!

I used to be affraid to fight dogs, but not anymore...Thanks Steven!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice doggy!

FB

Yup, ask the lady who basically got eaten by a Presa Canaria in so. Cal about 2-3 years ago if she is afraid of them.........Oh yeah.....you can't.....she's dead.

www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/Whipple.html

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Humans are so fragile.  We really have no natural weapons like claws, teeth, etc.  We don't have thick hide and fur, just soft skin.

I think I'd look for some kind of tool to do damage with.  Anything like a stick, pipe, bottle, ANYTHING.

Of course, I always carry a Benchmade 806D2.  I think I could kill any dog equipped with my knife.  I know I would be damaged and need emergency hospital care.  But I would be the survivor, not the dog.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's ignorant.

+1.  My money is on the tiger in a pitbull verus tiger fight.

Uhhh yeah, a bitbull is a pussy compared to a Liger. The bitbull would be offed in like 5 seconds vs a fucking Liger.

Ohhh wait, Tiger not Liger, ok. Still I'd put my money on the Tiger.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, I'm going for my afternoon walk/run before it gets too cold....

Kinda rural out here and I have seen a number of stray dogs...

I'll report back in about and hour and let you guys know if I had to shoot any of em.

Oh and ahhhh.....I will be carrying.....after all.....I am RAMBO,  I'm not tough enough to bare hand em!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#44]
The tiger question reminds me of the old Mountain Lion issue that gets raised up every now and then.

I'd be much more afraid of battling a Mountain Lion than ANY dog.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The tiger question reminds me of the old Mountain Lion issue that gets raised up every now and then.

I'd be much more afraid of battling a Mountain Lion than ANY dog.

Most mountain lions are afraid of humans.  You can't say the same thing about dogs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#46]
No... but then I've never been attacked.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that sums it up perfectly.

Me too.  Angry dogs of any size larger than a football deserve due caution.  The small ones, I just kick a field goal with.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Just wondering, another thread & link made me think about this.

Do you feel that one dog (any breed) is a serious threat to you if you have nothing but your body to fight it off with? I've never seen a dog I was scared of.

I've had to fight off two pretty big dogs in my life, walked away with just a few scratches the first time and muddy clothes the second. Did I just get lucky?

I do know grown men who are scared of them, just wondering what the ratio is.

eta: I'd like to hear the breed if there is one in particular that makes you shat the pants (pit, rotty, mastiff etc)

I am not afraid of them, but after watching my 210 pound Great Dane bite through a nylon, indestrictable chew toy with one bite while playuing I realized that if he ever got mad for whatever reason, there would be no way to fend him off, he would break bones, tear off large amounts of skin, could reach my neck very easily.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Reading the responses to this thread, it becomes quite apparent that most of you have no clue what makes a dog tick.

You have two choices with dogs, you dominate or you submit.

To dominate, jam your fist down his throat while putting him into a headlock. Most dogs wear collars, easy to grab on. You'll get some cuts from his teeth but that dog is going to chill out.

To submit, you avoid eye contact, go down, and make injured whining sounds. Dogs don't just kill for the hell of it, they want to neutralize threats to their territory. Once a dog feels he's dominated the situation, he loosens his grip, and usually loses his interest.

I would'nt likely try submission, and domination isn't that hard.
People wrestle alligators for fuck sake.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Back in my motorcycle mechanicing days I went over to a buds house as we were going to ride to lunch together. As I was walking up his drive his chow that knew me well came trotting up. I called him and reached out to pet him and the bastard lunged at my face/throat !!  I still had on my helmet and gloves and this must have thrown him off or something although he saw humans in riding gear all the time  Anyway, my traffic honed reflexes were very sharp back then so I jumped back and with the hand that I was going to pet him with I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and jerked his knappy ass off the ground. 40 or 50 lb of pissed of Chow totally emasculated .  I walked back out the gate and set him down with me on the other side of the fence.

If you are not worried about a dog attack you are dumb.  That doesn't mean you have to live in fear and trying to run is the worst thing, you have to stand your ground or even advance. My normal method for dealing with a loose aggro dog is to actually take a step towards him and do a low growl.  They have always backed down or hauled ass.

If I am ever attacked my basic plan is to hope I can dislocate a leg or get ahold of the windpipe. Gouge the eyes, get my pocket knife out,  etc.  A big mean dog is trouble !!

rj
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top