Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go with blue but that's because I have blonde hair and blue eyes.  

Gray will be just fine.  Wear black shoes (not brown) though.

Good luck!

Uhhhhh..... Brown shoes work more than fine with a blue suit.

This thread is filled with people who overanalyze things and parrot something they read somewhere.  These threads always are.

Are you referring to my post or Joan Rivers that I quoted?

Not yours, but several others.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a grey, black, and blue suit.

I have a job interview soon and was thinking about wearing the grey one...

Would the blue or black suit be better?

They're all the same style. I do not know what you call the style but I guess I would call it modern looking.[/quote

]Please don't interview with a blue suit unless it's a very dark blue.  Grey or black is the best option to present yourself as a professional.  Blue suits...not so much.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Serious question(s) ...

When wearing black shoes (let's say wingtips) and a black belt with either a grey or blue (navy) suit, what color socks are considered most appropriate ?

Then, to take it a step further, how about black dress shoes and belt with khaki colored pants ... then what color socks are considered most appropriate ?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

When wearing black shoes (let's say wingtips) and a black belt with either a grey or blue (navy) suit, what color socks are considered most appropriate ?

Then, to take it a step further, how about black dress shoes and belt with khaki colored pants ... then what color socks are considered most appropriate ?

Scenario 1 : Black socks

Scenario 2 : Blue socks

I don't know why... Just makes sense to me, haha.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

You want to match your socks to your pants, period. If the socks don't look right with the shoes, your pants won't either.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

You want to match your socks to your pants, period. If the socks don't look right with the shoes, your pants won't either.

I don't have any khaki socks.

I think blue looks good with khaki.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

You are entitled to your opinion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

You want to match your socks to your pants, period...

That's the rule of thumb I've always followed as well, however, I remember seeing somewhere that black dress shoes somehow create an exception to the rule ... e.g. black shoes + grey suit = black socks, or black shoes + khaki pants (still) = black socks.

OTOH, whenever I wear cordovan or burgundy colored penny loafers with khaki pants then I'll match the socks to the pants, blue socks with blue pants, etc.

But I'm fairly certain that black shoes are somehow an exception to some rule ...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

Black shoes, blue socks and khaki pants would be considered a men's fashion faux pas.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

Black shoes, blue socks and khaki pants would be considered a men's fashion faux pas.

Haters
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Either match your socks to your pants or your shoes.

Do not select a color of sock that is different then both.

Edit: There is an exception as long as your pants and shoes match. Example: Black pants + black shoes with socks that match your tie/shirt color.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

Actually, I've never worn black shoes with khaki.

I typically wear brown loafer style shoes with khaki pants.

Maybe it goes back to my childhood... I only had blue dress socks. Maybe it just stuck with me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it nude...the audacity will impress them for sure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

Maybe it goes back to my childhood... I only had blue dress socks. Maybe it just stuck with me.

Brown loafers, blue socks and khaki pants would be just as bad ... maybe even worse.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Do it nude...the audacity will impress them for sure.

And don't forget to forget the joke.  Whether or not you actually remember it, their mothers are still whores.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

Brown loafers, blue socks and khaki pants would be just as bad ... maybe even worse.

Damn.

Now my feelers are hurt.

I'm also color blind. My favorite color is purple but it looks blue to me.

I have like 10 purple shirts. I thought they were blue when I bought them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question(s) ...

You want to match your socks to your pants, period...

That's the rule of thumb I've always followed as well, however, I remember seeing somewhere that black dress shoes somehow create an exception to the rule ... e.g. black shoes + grey suit = black socks, or black shoes + khaki pants (still) = black socks.

OTOH, whenever I wear cordovan or burgundy colored penny loafers with khaki pants then I'll match the socks to the pants, blue socks with blue pants, etc.

But I'm fairly certain that black shoes are somehow an exception to some rule ...

I've seen that, and frankly the Army would seem to agree, as my dress uniform socks are black.  Personally, I think socks that match shoes to often create an odd "boot" look where the shoe blends in too much with the sock - whereas pants and socks matching looks more put together.  I usually only wear black shoe with darker pants anyway, so the problem is minimized.  Not sure what so many here have against brown shoes.  I prefer them most of the time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top